Re: Trump's 7th Foreign Trip - NATO, UK, Putin - July 2018

Post by vic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:23 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:19 pm
Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm
NotaPerson wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 am

I recall reading that Obama didn't say anything about Russia helping Trump before the election because he (a) expected Clinton to win anyway, and (b) didn't want the ensuing RWNJ bullshit thrown at him.

I don't know how Mitch could have blocked a public statement from him, if he had wanted to make it.
The sad truth.
Okay, this is just bullshit.

Obama makes such a statement, the Fox News machine, RWNJs on twitter and facebook, and all of the republicans in congress start screaming "Obama is putting his finger on the scale! Interfering in the election! Partisan Politics!!!!1!!11!"

There is no way he could make a statement about this at that point in the election cycle unless it was a bipartisan statement.
Period.
If he went out alone (or with only Democrats) with such a statement, that would just be giving the election to Trump.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:28 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:23 pm
tek wrote:

The sad truth.

Obama makes such a statement, the Fox News machine, RWNJs on twitter and facebook, and all of the republicans in congress start screaming "Obama is putting his finger on the scale! Interfering in the election! Partisan Politics!!!!1!!11!"

There is no way he could make a statement about this at that point in the election cycle unless it was a bipartisan statement.
Period.
If he went out alone (or with only Democrats) with such a statement, that would just be giving the election to Trump.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm

And then if HRC had won anyway, there’d be no end of the shrieking that she wasn’t elected legitimately and then the R Congress would soon proceed with impeachment.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm

It would be good to have a succinct explanation for why what Trump did in Helsinki constitutes treason. The idea of exchanging LE officers would have been shot down in a New York minute. It was just silly and shows how little Trump understands. His remarks blaming America are repugnant but not treasonous. What else? Orly’s redactions of nuclear weapons?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm

If the letter of Treason wasn’t met, his behavior is still palpably traitorous.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm
Yes. Traitor Trump.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Agreed. That has been true in many ways, not just in Helsinki.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm
It would be good to have a succinct explanation for why what Trump did in Helsinki constitutes treason. The idea of exchanging LE officers would have been shot down in a New York minute. It was just silly and shows how little Trump understands. His remarks blaming America are repugnant but not treasonous. What else? Orly’s redactions of nuclear weapons?
Legally, it isn't treason. We aren't at war with Russia (in a technical legal sense anyway), so legally Russia isn't the enemy.

Morally, it is treason for all the obvious reasons.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 pm

#TreasonSummit was the trending hashtag on Twitter.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Yes. Traitor Trump.
On Facebook, I've been careful (based on my edumcation by the lawyers here) to say he's a traitor, and not use the word treason, based on the Constitution's definition.

Traitor fits the dictionary definition, where the common meaning has priority over the legal one:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/traitor
Definition of traitor
1 : one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty
2 : one who commits treason

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:52 pm

I still want to know what shook Feinstein up.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Crickets from the congressional leadership?

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm

tek wrote:
NotaPerson wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 am

I recall reading that Obama didn't say anything about Russia helping Trump before the election because he (a) expected Clinton to win anyway, and (b) didn't want the ensuing RWNJ bullshit thrown at him.

I don't know how Mitch could have blocked a public statement from him, if he had wanted to make it.
The sad truth.

Period.

Fortunately Obama kept his silence and Hillary won.

Well, we are in Bizzaro World anyhow, so what's the heck.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm
Crickets from the congressional leadership?
Both of MY senators tweeted that Russia is NOT our friend. Nary a word about TRUMP. Both were getting hell from commenters. Less than .025% supported Trump. (Rough estimate. Please don't report me to the Mathematicians' Guild.)

I hope Tom Cotton is involved with the Butina Babe since he LUBS the NRA. :mrgreen:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm

NPR covered Cocaine Mitch's actions in 2016.

Biden: McConnell Refused To Sign Bipartisan Statement On Russian Interference
January 24, 2018 3:24 AM ET

Former Vice President Joe Biden says he and President Barack Obama decided not to speak out publicly on Russian interference during the 2016 campaign after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused to sign a bipartisan statement condemning the Kremlin's role. Speaking on Tuesday at the Council on Foreign Relations, Biden said the Obama administration sought a united front to dispel concerns that going public with such accusations would be seen as an effort to undermine the legitimacy of the election.

However, McConnell "wanted no part of having a bipartisan commitment saying, essentially, 'Russia's doing this. Stop,' " he said. At that point, Biden added, he felt that "the die had been cast" and that "this was all about the political play." "Can you imagine if the president called a press conference in October, with this fella, Bannon, and company, and said, 'Tell you what: Russians are trying to interfere in our elections and we have to do something about it,' " he said. "Would things have gotten better, or would it further look like we were trying to de-legitimize the electoral process, because of our opponent?" "Had we known what we knew three weeks later, we may have done something more," Biden added.

McConnell's office disputed Biden's account, as reported by Politico, "pointing to a letter signed by all four congressional leaders in September 2016 and sent to the president of the National Association of State Election Directors, urging cybersecurity precautions in light of reports of attempted hacking."
In the meeting, the Post reports:

"The Dems were, 'Hey, we have to tell the public,' " recalled one participant. But Republicans resisted, arguing that to warn the public that the election was under attack would further Russia's aim of sapping confidence in the system.
... McConnell (R-Ky.) went further, officials said, voicing skepticism that the underlying intelligence truly supported the White House's claims. Through a spokeswoman, McConnell declined to comment, citing the secrecy of that meeting.

In an interview with NPR in November, Biden was asked by Morning Edition's Rachel Martin if he thought Russia had interfered in the election. "I don't think. I know they did," Biden replied.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... terference

Bill Shine thought he was so cute keeping the Donald and Vlad interviews on Fox News... After this disaster they are having to run all that footage, looks like a funeral over there and the viewers must be turning it off in droves.

And the FCC basically torpedoed the Sinclair deal today.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm
NPR covered Cocaine Mitch's actions in 2016.

:snippity:

Bill Shine thought he was so cute keeping the Donald and Vlad interviews on Fox News... After this disaster they are having to run all that footage, looks like a funeral over there and the viewers must be turning it off in droves.

And the FCC basically torpedoed the Sinclair deal today.
Whaaaaat???? HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger smokes ‘fan boy’ Trump for standing next to Putin like a ‘wet noodle’
Dominique Jackson DOMINIQUE JACKSON
16 JUL 2018 AT 19:31 ET

Actor and former governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, called President Donald Trump a “wet noodle” after he watched his disgraceful joint press conference with Vladimir Putin.

In a video posted to Twitter, Schwarzenegger said: “President Trump, I just saw your press conference with President Putin and it was embarrassing. You stood there like a little wet noodle, like a little fan boy. I was asking myself, when you would ask him for an autograph or something.”

He continued: “You literally sold out at this press conference our intelligence community, our justice system and worst of all our country. You’re the president of the United States, you shouldn’t do that. What is the matter with you?”

He then reminisced on the old days. “What happen to strong words and strength of Ronald Reagan? When he stood there and said ‘tear down this wall.’ What has happened to that?

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/watch- ... et-noodle/

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Gonna be fun times on twitter tomorrow if he sees any of this..

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm
Gonna be fun times on twitter tomorrow if he sees any of this..
Is he still on an airplane somewhere on his way home?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm

The bottom line is, SOMETHING CHANGED TODAY because of the open, abject treason twitler (I'm joining AndyinPA) showed today in that press conference. Something serious. There's a whole new tone on the Twitter machine, I mentioned that already. There's a whole new tone on the Tee Vee, according to ol' Wifehorn.

And it isn't just about the presser, the Butina arrest is also a game-changer.

As stressed out as he's been ... as scared as he's been about the Mueller investigation ... as insecure as he is ... things are suddenly starting to cascade and his life is going to be a lot worse from here on out.

One of the funniest things any birther ever said was: "Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball." :lol: Huh? 'Cause, y'know ... flowers blossom ... but not into snowballs, in my limited experience. I liked that one so much I used it in my signature for a spell.

Today I have a strong feeling that something really important happened - a sea change, a turning point, a new tack. Today the treason was "in yo face" in a way that is gonna force some folks to wake the fuck up.

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball. :blink:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm
The bottom line is, SOMETHING CHANGED TODAY because of the open, abject treason twitler (I'm joining AndyinPA) showed today in that press conference. Something serious. There's a whole new tone on the Twitter machine, I mentioned that already. There's a whole new tone on the Tee Vee, according to ol' Wifehorn.

And it isn't just about the presser, the Butina arrest is also a game-changer.

As stressed out as he's been ... as scared as he's been about the Mueller investigation ... as insecure as he is ... things are suddenly starting to cascade and his life is going to be a lot worse from here on out.

One of the funniest things any birther ever said was: "Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball." :lol: Huh? 'Cause, y'know ... flowers blossom ... but not into snowballs, in my limited experience. I liked that one so much I used it in my signature for a spell.

Today I have a strong feeling that something really important happened - a sea change, a turning point, a new tack. Today the treason was "in yo face" in a way that is gonna force some folks to wake the fuck up.

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball. :blink:
Yeah, but I asked about congressional leadership. What have McConnell and Ryan said?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm
Yeah, but I asked about congressional leadership. What have McConnell and Ryan said?
Words. Very wordly words of very wordly wordiness.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm hoping that they have already boarded a plane bound for Moscow.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm

To my knowledge, nothing. Borowitz says they've been struck by laryngitis.

I think it's cowardice. But they aren't trying to say what he did is OK. They're lying low and hoping it blows over. But this time I don't think it will.

More will be revealed, y'all. :smoking:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Return to “Trump Administration”