All the President's pardons

RTH10260

Re: All the President's pardons

Post by RTH10260 »

Fortinbras wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:10 pm Ah ha, it turns out that Gallagher's lawyer has an 'in' with Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/politics ... index.html
picked
Former NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik, a former business partner of Trump ally and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, also is helping with Gallagher's case. Kerik, who once served three years in federal prison for charges including tax fraud and lying to officials, was nominated as homeland security secretary by President George W. Bush but withdrew from consideration due to potential tax violations.
Only the best....

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Opinion
In Trump’s military, the rules don’t matter at all

Karen Tumulty Columnist
November 26, 2019 at 1:22 a.m. GMT+1

When President Harry S. Truman signed the Uniform Code of Military Justice into law just before the first Armed Forces Day in 1950, the former Army artillery captain lauded it as an achievement that assured “the democratic ideal of equality before the law is further advanced.”

For nearly seven decades, the uniform code has served the military well, providing a standardized and well-understood system for dispensing justice while also giving commanders the tools they need to maintain order and discipline.

But order and discipline are of little value to President Trump. In a show of faux patriotism, he is replacing the uniform code with a system under which verdicts are rendered by commentators on Fox News and consequences meted out from the Oval Office.

It was not only shameful but also dangerous when Trump waded into the case of Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher, who was accused of war crimes that included shooting civilians, knifing to death a captive and threatening to kill witnesses. Rather than wait for the military justice system to handle the case, Trump listened to the pleadings of Gallagher’s family on his favorite cable channel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Cadet Bonespurs
“What I’m doing is sticking up for our armed forces and there has never been a president that’s going to stick up for them and has like I have,” Trump boasted on Monday.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Apparently Trump wants/expects recipients of his clemency (for war crimes) to assist his re-election campaign. As a "favor", of course.
Could this mean that Trump would refuse clemency to any accused person who was a Democrat or otherwise unlikely to campaign for him?
Is this a form of graft or bribery??

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yes.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Meh. War crimes. Just another thing Trumpführer has in common with der Führer. Now about that left arm....

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Spencer’s take on Gallagher events is in WaPo opinions.
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/fired-na ... gher-case/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm Spencer’s take on Gallagher events is in WaPo opinions.
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/fired-na ... gher-case/
the WaPo article referenced:
Richard Spencer: I was fired as Navy secretary. Here’s what I’ve learned because of it.

By Richard Spencer
November 27, 2019 at 11:56 p.m. GMT+1
Richard Spencer is the former secretary of the Navy.

The case of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL who was charged with multiple war crimes before being convicted of a single lesser charge earlier this year, was troubling enough before things became even more troubling over the past few weeks. The trail of events that led to me being fired as secretary of the Navy is marked with lessons for me and for the nation.

It is highly irregular for a secretary to become deeply involved in most personnel matters. Normally, military justice works best when senior leadership stays far away. A system that prevents command influence is what separates our armed forces from others. Our system of military justice has helped build the world’s most powerful navy; good leaders get promoted, bad ones get moved out, and criminals are punished.

In combat zones, the stakes are even higher. We train our forces to be both disciplined and lethal. We strive to use proportional force, protect civilians and treat detainees fairly. Ethical conduct is what sets our military apart. I have believed that every day since joining the Marine Corps in 1976.

We are effective overseas not because we have the best equipment but because we are professionals. Our troops are held to the highest standards. We expect those who lead our forces to exercise excellent judgment. The soldiers and sailors they lead must be able to count on that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Spencer pretty well admits he went around Esper to make a deal with the White House. I understand why he did it, but he misunderstands Trump. Spencer clearly was trying to maintain at least an illusion that the regular military justice system is still in place, but allow Trump to get his way, thus, everyone wins in Spencer's eyes. I get why he might have thought that could work.

What he fails to see it Trump's ultimate goal here. Trump panders to rank and file military the same way he panders to police. Breaking down of the normal chain of command, i.e. having rank and file military directly answer to Trump rather than having those pesky levels of command between Trump and the rank and file is not really convenient for a man who is clearly following exactly the same steps every other dictator-for-life has ever followed. Trump can't actually take away the chain of command, but he can effectively gain the "love" of rank and file to the point where they feel beholden to him rather than beholden to their normal chain of command and their country. What better way to achieve that end than to drag Gallagher around with him for the next year, spouting on and on about how he "has the backs" of the rank and file. Get ready for it. Chilling and dangerous games are about to play out.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

This excerpt came out today in the New York Times as a tease to the full article to be published on Feb 3. This is disturbing enough, I'm not sure I can handle the full details.
Anguish and Anger From the Navy SEALS Who Turned In Edward Gallagher
Video interviews and group texts obtained by The Times show men describing their platoon leader in grim terms.

...members of SEAL Team 7 tell Navy investigators that Gallagher was a reckless leader with a disturbing hunger for violence. They say they spent much of their time protecting Iraqi civilians from their battle-crazed chief instead of going after ISIS. And never-before-released video from the SEALs’ deployment shows Gallagher kneeling beside a defenseless ISIS captive moments before Gallagher plunged his knife into the prisoner’s neck.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/us/n ... e=Homepage

ImageImageImage x4
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

But those SEALs are Derp State Traitors (TM) in the eyes of Trump's fans, because they didn't want to shoot every Moose Lamb that crossed their paths, and for ratting out Hero Eddie Gallagher, who was just protecting 'Murica - one murdered teenager at a time.

The Cult of Trump wants the military to be full of indiscriminate killers, because they think that's what toughness looks like.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:36 am This excerpt came out today in the New York Times as a tease to the full article to be published on Feb 3. This is disturbing enough, I'm not sure I can handle the full details.
Anguish and Anger From the Navy SEALS Who Turned In Edward Gallagher
Video interviews and group texts obtained by The Times show men describing their platoon leader in grim terms.

...members of SEAL Team 7 tell Navy investigators that Gallagher was a reckless leader with a disturbing hunger for violence. They say they spent much of their time protecting Iraqi civilians from their battle-crazed chief instead of going after ISIS. And never-before-released video from the SEALs’ deployment shows Gallagher kneeling beside a defenseless ISIS captive moments before Gallagher plunged his knife into the prisoner’s neck.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/us/n ... e=Homepage
If these stories are true, sooner or later someone close to Gallagher is going to get hurt.

He's like a serial killer who's got a taste of the evil and now can't stop.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

From the Times article:

:snippity:
Chief Gallagher retired from the Navy with full honors at the end of November, and has announced that he was starting a SEAL-themed clothing line.
:snippity:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Of course, because if you watch the ads on TV channels favored by Trump-types, you'll soon notice that all you have to do to make something really sell is to slap "Special Ops" on it. Tacticool Mall Ninja stuff has always been good marketing.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am Of course, because if you watch the ads on TV channels favored by Trump-types, you'll soon notice that all you have to do to make something really sell is to slap "Special Ops" on it. Tacticool Mall Ninja stuff has always been good marketing.
I gotta say it, the man may be evil as f#ck but he ain't stupid. Puts me in mind of an old Bugs Bunny Cartoon where Elmer Fudd morphs into a giant sucker after being tricked by Bugs (The Big Snooze).
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Gallagher should partner up with Duncan Hunter Jr. once he's off the Congressional payroll. Patriots.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So, this murderous psychopath, instead of being in prison where he belongs, is on the campaign trail for Trump.

He will kill again.

There is a reason we put down pet dogs when they attack humans and blood is spilled.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wow. I just watched the actual HULU special about Gallagher and his trial. I highly recommend everyone to watch it. I has a suspicion that Gallagher's attorney somehow knew one of the guys was going to change his story when he got on the witness stand. Really bizarre. This guy got away with murder there is no doubt. Bonus - there is actual video of the teenage captive and Gallagher doing something to him. Gallagher opens his bag, takes something out and does something and the kid, who is really out of it, barely responding to anything all the sudden rolls over in obvious pain. The guy whose camera is recording instantly reaches up and turns off his camera at that point. That isn't the actual kill, the actual kill involved stabbing the kid in the neck. That doesn't happen on camera. You don't actually see what he does on the video because his body is in the way.

Gallagher's superiors at first refuse to do anything. The team members who are really disturbed at what they saw decided to go to NCIS and that is how he eventually got charged. He even admitted in a text message that he killed the kid. The HULU special goes into why the original prosecutor was removed from the case - the prosecution was concerned at all the leaks and all the Faux Spews propaganda and were trying to figure out who and how the leaks were happening. Leak, my ass. Gallagher's wife was on Faux constantly whining about her poor victimized hero husband.

He will kill someone else eventually, no doubt about it. One of the things that first started bothering many of his team members was the fact that he loved killing and didn't care whether he was killing combatants or civilians.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-con ... r?ref=home

Not all of those “warriors” are U.S. servicemembers, however.

The Daily Beast has learned that Trump is still quietly weighing pardoning at least one employee of the private army Blackwater, Nicholas Slatten. Convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment, Slatten, a former U.S. Army sniper, took part in the contractor’s infamous 2007 massacre at the Nisour Square traffic circle in Baghdad. Blackwater was founded by Trump ally Erik Prince, who has insisted for over a decade that the company was railroaded after Nisour Square by an American left gone insane.

The White House declined comment on this story on Thursday afternoon.

Should Trump go through with the Blackwater pardon, it would be a stunning denouement to a wrenching episode in which Iraqis watched 10 men, two women and two pre-teen boys die violently despite being unarmed commuters. Ever since, U.S. diplomats have counseled the Iraqis to trust in the American justice system–which turned Nisour Square into a prolonged legal fiasco. And any clemency for Slatten would happen in the aftermath of angry Iraqis storming the U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which has raised questions about the Iraqi government’s willingness to continue the U.S. military presence.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The Hill -

Trump commutes sentence of ex-Illinois Gov. Blagojevich
President Trump on Tuesday said he had granted clemency to Rod Blagojevich (D), the disgraced Illinois governor who had served roughly half of a 14-year sentence on federal corruption charges.

The commutation concludes more than a year's worth of hemming and hawing within the White House over whether to intervene in the Blagojevich case.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

And he commuted Bernie Kerik's sentence
https://wbng.com/2020/02/18/trump-grant ... el-milken/

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

So he’s crazy then.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Jeffrey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:27 pm So he’s crazy then.
No, he's doing this because HE CAN. Note that the former Gov. of Illinois and Bernie Kerik were in positions of public trust. So he's normalizing corruption for government officials. Disgusting. Bernie Madoff can't be far behind.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
kate520

Post by kate520 »

:shock:
President* trump: FUCK YOU AMERICA.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

There’s no logic to him pardoning these guys but not his henchmen. Or pardoning at this time of year at this point in his term.

Return to “Trump Administration”