All the President's pardons

Kendra

All the President's pardons

Post by Kendra » Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Looks like they are starting to ramp up, so list them here please and also please help me catch up on all. Been a terribly brutal, busy day for me :bag:

Joe Arpaio

Scooter Libby

Pending:

Or is D'Souza a done deal :?: :?:

All three real or potential subjects of Trump’s clemency power were tied to prosecutors who are on the president’s list of nemeses: D’Souza was prosecuted by Bharara, Stewart by Comey and Blagojevich by Comey’s friend, Fitzgerald. @esullivannyt

Addie

Re: All the President's pardons

Post by Addie » Thu May 31, 2018 7:25 pm

LOL, you read my mind.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:25 pm
LOL, you read my mind.
We were bouncing starting a new thread in the President T thread. These will likely be adding up :swoon:

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 31, 2018 7:32 pm

The sentence of Sholom Rubashkin (the kosher meatpacker) was commuted in December 2017.

Kristian Saucier (the sub photog) was pardoned in March 2018.

Jack Johnson (the boxer) was posthumously pardoned in May 2018.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Politico
Trump's pardons skew toward celebrity

Some activists are growing concerned that only the famous or well-known will get relief.

To get a pardon from President Donald Trump, it clearly helps to be famous.

As conservative filmmaker and author Dinesh D'Souza received clemency Thursday for a felony conviction for making campaign contributions through straw donors, Trump seemed to confirm that D'Souza's high public profile — primarily in right-leaning media outlets — contributed to his case. ...

Trump also floated two other high-profile convictions he is considering wading into, suggesting a commutation for former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat who's serving a 14-year sentence for corruption, and a pardon for Martha Stewart, who served a short term in jail for lying to investigators during an insider-trading probe.

The string of six pardons and commutations Trump has issued in recent months initially buoyed the hopes of clemency advocates that Trump would dive into the backlog of more than 10,000 applications pending at the Justice Department. But some of those activists are now growing concerned that only the famous or well-known will get relief.

"I don't want to criticize the robust use of the clemency power, but this is not the priority list we would have drawn up," said Kevin Ring of Families Against Mandatory Minimums. "You see a lot of people who are oversentenced ... I guess all we can do is hope this is the beginning, as he and the administration learn about some of the injustices."

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 pm

The Repugnicans need to be reminded, over and over, that whatever behavior they excuse in Trump, they are giving the next Democratic president permission to do too.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 pm

What if Martha told him to take his pardon and stick it up his ass?

That would be a good thing.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 31, 2018 7:43 pm

So twitler has found a power that he is unconstrained to use, at least in his mind. He'll be like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure he thinks this is the way all presidential powers should be.

I guess I need to do some reading about the use and purpose of the pardon. To me, it never really changed anything. You don't get a pardon unless you are guilty, or have been found guilty of plead guilty to something. I don't understand the idea of the magic of a pardon.

And I doubt there are many "little people" who have been recipients of a pardon.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 pm

IMHO, the choices he's picking, and what crimes they committed have been chosen with care to make a point and poking thumb at the democrats.

What benefit would Martha Stewart get from a pardon?

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:43 pm
And I doubt there are many "little people" who have been recipients of a pardon.
Here's a list of Obama pardon recipients. (The reader may decide how many qualify as "little people.")

Kendra wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 pm
To send a message: Stewart was convicted for lying to federal investigators.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 pm

The New Yorker - Jeffrey Toobin
Why Trump Pardoned Dinesh D’Souza—and May Pardon Martha Stewart

It’s pardon month in the White House edition of “The Apprentice.” Jack Johnson got one. Dinesh D’Souza’s getting one. So might Martha Stewart, and Rod Blagojevich could see his sentence commuted. The case of Alice Marie Johnson might be the season-ending cliffhanger: Will this great-grandmother be freed from a life sentence thanks to the Oval Office advocacy of Kim Kardashian?

The justifications for these actions range from valid (Jack and Alice Johnson, no apparent relation) to cynical (D’Souza, Stewart, and Blago), but they serve mostly to illustrate the transactional nature of Donald Trump’s Presidency. He has no ideology except self-interest. He doesn’t play politics; he plays the angles.

Consider Stewart’s case. In 2004, she was convicted of making false statements and related charges in connection with an insider-trading scandal. (She was, by the way, guilty.) She served five months in prison, paid a fine, and in subsequent years has gone back to running a media empire. She also hosted a spinoff of the “Apprentice” franchise, which bombed, but, as far as we can tell, Trump has no axe to grind with her now. Still, the relevant point about Stewart is that her prosecution was James Comey’s most high-profile accomplishment during his tenure as United States Attorney, in Manhattan. Pardoning Stewart is a way of diminishing Comey, who is among Trump’s most reviled enemies. Since Stewart has long been out of prison, the pardon will have little practical significance for her, but that’s not the point. Punishing Comey is. (Springing Blago, the former Illinois governor who was convicted on public corruption charges, in 2011, and is serving a fourteen-year sentence, offers similar value for Trump. The governor was prosecuted by the former U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, who also brought a perjury case against Scooter Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice-President Dick Cheney, whom Trump pardoned earlier this year. And Fitzgerald today is one of the lawyers representing Comey, so undoing Fitzgerald’s work operates as more score-settling for the President.) ...

As for D’Souza’s pardon, that seems to be little more than a straight payoff to the right-wing base, which has been the focus of Trump’s attentions and affections throughout his Presidency. D’Souza has long enjoyed a large following as an extreme ideologue and conspiracist; he is infamous for making lunatic accusations against the Clintons and Barack Obama, and for pushing anti-Semitic tropes about the financier and philanthropist George Soros. (In a telling bit of symmetry, Roseanne Barr was also pushing the outrageous Soros allegations.) D’Souza was charged in Manhattan federal court with campaign-finance violations, for using straw donors to make campaign contributions to a Republican candidate,in 2014. Notwithstanding D’Souza’s and now Trump’s claims, this was no frivolous prosecution. Indeed, D’Souza chose to plead guilty rather than go to trial. He was sentenced to eight months in a halfway house and paid a fine. Still, Trump’s pardon allows D’Souza to wallow in his martyrdom at the hands of Obama’s prosecutors—the former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, whom Trump fired, brought the case—and the President will reap the credit from D’Souza’s admirers.

For this President, everything is personal. This is why, even more than with most Presidents, we should know the details of his and his family’s financial dealings. This is where his personal interests would be most clearly on display. (How, for example, is Trump’s sudden interest in saving the ZTE conglomerate in China related to the decision by the Chinese government to award Ivanka Trump several valuable trademarks?) Who are Trump’s real business partners? How and where have his business ventures been financed? And what, of course, would we learn if we could see his tax returns? These pardon cases show that the President serves his friends and punishes his enemies—and we need to know, more than ever, who is who.

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime » Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 pm
If Cohen is brought up on NY State charges, there is nothing that #45 can do.

He's on a roll - When will he pardon James Earl Ray?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:03 pm

Martha Stewart was a stock broker before she became Martha Stewart. It’s one thing when you’re just someone like me and a friend gives you a tip to save you some money. “Oh, thanks, Joe!”

She knew what she did was wrong. She did it anyway to save, basically, pocket change. She deserved what she got and she shouldn’t get better treatment than I would just because she knows Trump. Or Ivanka. Or whomever. I didn’t feel that way at the time, but I know more now.

Every day, I say this to myself. “Who will rid me of this meddlesome Asshole?” Every day, crickets.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Can you say “Charlie Kushner”? I knew you could.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Thu May 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Is Jim Bakker next?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:04 pm
Can you say “Charlie Kushner”? I knew you could.
I wonder how Chris Christie will feel about that?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

bob wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Here's a list of Obama pardon recipients. (The reader may decide how many qualify as "little people.")

Looking at the list from Obama, I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. Obama seems to have used his power mostly wisely.

There is, of course, nothing twitler could do wisely.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 pm

Politico
Ex-FBI honcho blasts Trump over Blagojevich

CHICAGO — A top former FBI official accused President Donald Trump of acting out of spite against federal law enforcement after the president suggested Thursday he might commute former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s 14-year prison term.

Robert Grant, a longtime colleague and friend of special counsel Robert Mueller who headed the FBI’s Chicago office at the time of the Blagojevich investigation, told POLITICO in an interview that Trump is working to upend the FBI’s work as personal revenge for the special counsel probe he’s facing.

“It’s so disheartening to think that the president of the United States would overturn the evidence heard by a judge and jury, all out of an animus toward Bob Mueller, James Comey and [former U.S. Attorney] Pat Fitzgerald,” said Grant, who is now retired from the FBI. “Blagojevich got caught by wiretaps and microphones and he was engaging in a practice that we believed he was taking part in for quite awhile … I don’t think anybody who listened to those tapes would think anything but it was an incredibly corrupt governor who was dealing with corrupt associates.”

Mueller served as FBI director during the Blagojevich probe, while Comey was deputy attorney general and Fitzgerald served as U.S. attorney in Chicago.

Grant said he views the possible commutation of Blagojevich’s sentence as in line with Trump’s pardon of Lewis “Scooter” Libby — all part of a broader attempt to discredit Mueller in his role as special counsel.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

Maddow's opening has a good piece on presidential pardons and Richard Nixon.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 31, 2018 10:08 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
So twitler has found a power that he is unconstrained to use, at least in his mind. He'll be like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure he thinks this is the way all presidential powers should be.

I guess I need to do some reading about the use and purpose of the pardon. To me, it never really changed anything. You don't get a pardon unless you are guilty, or have been found guilty of plead guilty to something. I don't understand the idea of the magic of a pardon.

By accepting a pardon, you are implicitly admitting the crimes you have been convicted of, or in Richard Nixon's case, you might be convicted of. ( I think Nixon is the only pre-emptive pardon in history, I could be wrong). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdick_v._United_States

There are a lot of non-famous people who get pardons, almost all of them are for people who have served their time and the pardon is just removing it from their record. In some cases, it might be what you need to reinstate a professional license, say an attorney, CPA or such, but I think mostly it just means you're forgiven.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm
That was a good reminder of how evil that bastard was.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu May 31, 2018 11:09 pm

Ya know, if he wants to make a statement, he should pardon McCabe...

The Mercury Project

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 pm

From the New York Times,
Or perhaps Mr. Trump simply is dealing another hammer blow to the legacy of Mr. Obama, who focused his own clemency efforts on reducing the lengthy sentences of thousands of low-level drug offenders with no personal connection to the White House.
Its a very good "Editorial Board" column

Dinesh D’Souza? Really?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/opin ... eft-region

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 am

Kendra wrote:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm
Kendra wrote:
That was a good reminder of how evil that bastard was.
Yes. There's quite a lot I was too young to be paying attention to or had forgotten.

Return to “Trump Administration”