Michael Cohen

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: Michael Cohen

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm
I don't think it will be as richly satisfying as breaking down his door at the crack of dawn and hauling his dumb ass to jail, but somewhere in Washington D.C., or NYC some prosecutor is already starting to put a file together on America's Dumbest Congressman. By next Monday morning, they'll have his phone records, his public financial documents, etc. in a nice organized folder 2 or 3 inches thick with a beautifully written executive summary for Mr. Mueller to review and a detailed plan on what to do next. A week from then???
Um...no. Getting the phone records and other documents from a sitting Congressman's office is a legal BFD. Law enforcement agencies are part of the Executive Branch. The Speech and Debate Clause extends broad protections to deliberative documents in possession of the Legislative Branch, even ones who are demonstrably corrupt. I wrote a post some months back about the crucial case on this point, United States v. Rayburn House Office Building, 497 F.3d 654 (DC Cir. 2007).
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:12 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 pm
much ado wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Do we have any idea who overheard the conversation between Gaetz and Trump?
It was Edward-Isaac Dovere, reporter for The Atlantic. He tweeted that he heard Gaetz firsthand.
I have not found a place where Dovere says he heard the phone call first hand. His tweet says "Gaetz was heard", but does not specify by whom.
Edward-Isaac Dovere
‏Verified account @IsaacDovere
1h1 hour ago

President Trump called @mattgaetz last night from Hanoi to talk the Cohen testimony and the threats (since rescinded) Gaetz made about Cohen.
"I was happy to do it for you. You just keep killing it," Gaetz was heard telling him.
(Gaetz told me he doesn't discuss calls w/POTUS)
690 replies 3,128 retweets 4,684 likes

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:13 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm
I don't think it will be as richly satisfying as breaking down his door at the crack of dawn and hauling his dumb ass to jail, but somewhere in Washington D.C., or NYC some prosecutor is already starting to put a file together on America's Dumbest Congressman. By next Monday morning, they'll have his phone records, his public financial documents, etc. in a nice organized folder 2 or 3 inches thick with a beautifully written executive summary for Mr. Mueller to review and a detailed plan on what to do next. A week from then???
Um...no. Getting the phone records and other documents from a sitting Congressman's office is a legal BFD. Law enforcement agencies are part of the Executive Branch. The Speech and Debate Clause extends broad protections to deliberative documents in possession of the Legislative Branch, even ones who are demonstrably corrupt. I wrote a post some months back about the crucial case on this point, United States v. Rayburn House Office Building, 497 F.3d 654 (DC Cir. 2007).
Well, then minus the phone records to start with, but I still can't imagine they are just going to let this slide. . .
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Aaron Blake

Verified account

@AaronBlake
18m18 minutes ago
More
NEW FILING: Michael Cohen sues Trump Org, says he has millions of dollars of unreimbursed legal fees related to Mueller, etc., that Trump Org is responsible for.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... MMONS.html
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 pm
Aaron Blake

Verified account

@AaronBlake
18m18 minutes ago
More
NEW FILING: Michael Cohen sues Trump Org, says he has millions of dollars of unreimbursed legal fees related to Mueller, etc., that Trump Org is responsible for.

$1.9mil
:like:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm

He's worked there long enough to know if you wanna get paid, you have to go to court.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Turtle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm
He's worked there long enough to know if you wanna get paid, you have to go to court.
Deadbeat client. Deadbeat employer. Deadbeat customer. Deadbeat president.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 pm

neonzx wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Turtle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm
Deadbeat client. Deadbeat employer. Deadbeat customer. Deadbeat president.
Has the tweet storm happened yet?

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 pm

neonzx wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 pm
Aaron Blake

Verified account

@AaronBlake
18m18 minutes ago
More

$1.9mil
:like:
Am I wrong, or could discovery be...interesting?
ImageImageImage x4

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Delicious irony filing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 pm

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/03/07/w ... n-curious/

WHICH CAME FIRST: THE INDEMNITY FAIL OR COHEN’S COOPERATION CURIOSITY?

Michael Cohen is suing Trump Organization for refusing to fulfill an indemnity agreement they had. By itself, the suit offers the promise that these shitholes will rip each other apart in court. Discovery could be awesome, especially since the suit names Eric and Don Jr.

But I’m acutely interested in the timeline the lawsuit draws out for what it says about Trump’s efforts to cover-up his own criminal actions, laid out below. The italicized entries are ones I’ve added to Cohen’s own timeline — many of those dates come from this post on the timeline of the Special Master review of materials seized in the raid of Cohen’s home. The underlined ones are ones in Cohen’s complaint that I’ve editorialized on, to note where someone is known to have told a lie that coordinated with Cohen’s own lies.

As you can see, Trump’s spawn were happy to pay Cohen’s legal bills so long as he continued to tell the agreed upon lies.

But that changed when he got raided in April 2018. As I’ve noted, even though Cohen and Trump succeeded in getting a Special Master appointed to review all the discovery, that appointment didn’t succeed in withholding any of the most damning materials. But the Special Master process did give Trump an opportunity to review what Cohen had — including to identify what he had tape recordings of.

This probably led them to two conclusions. First, because Cohen had taped incriminating conversations (to ensure he’d get paid, Cohen explained in his OGR testimony), he had exposed Trump where he otherwise wouldn’t have been exposed. But because he hadn’t taped the most damning conversations — those implicating the Trump Tower Moscow deal and other Russia-related issues — they could fuck him over with relative impunity.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Is there an actual indemnity agreement, or something much less formal? I don't see anything referenced in the complaint. Are Cohen's attorneys using the fact that some fees were paid to show that there was an agreement in principle, if not in writing?

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 am

Adam Schiff
@RepAdamSchiff
Sorry, Mr. Trump and Mr. Meadows. I was not part of any of the staff proffer sessions with Mr. Cohen.

You really should be more careful about making or propagating false statements if you wish to condemn Cohen and others.

I’m sure it was unintentional....
D1P_ZX5XQAIByZT.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Redacted versions of the search materials coming out tomorrow.

:popcorn:

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

As expected, the Cohen documents demonstrate what a liar Avenatti is.

Of all of the things that Avenatti has postured about, the claim that he and Stormy are somehow responsible for the criminal prosecution of Michael Cohen has always struck me as the most egregious, because a lot of well-meaning people believe him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/nyre ... -ios-share

Federal authorities began investigating the email accounts of Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer, as early as July 2017, only months after Mr. Trump took office, according to documents unsealed on Tuesday.
Thanks pal.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am
As expected, the Cohen documents demonstrate what a liar Avenatti is.

Of all of the things that Avenatti has postured about, the claim that he and Stormy are somehow responsible for the criminal prosecution of Michael Cohen has always struck me as the most egregious, because a lot of well-meaning people believe him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/nyre ... -ios-share

Federal authorities began investigating the email accounts of Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer, as early as July 2017, only months after Mr. Trump took office, according to documents unsealed on Tuesday.
These threads all run together so I'm going to have to scroll way back to find, but wasn't at least one of the (illegally released) SARs dated quite a while back?

It sounds like he was popping up on various radars ANYWAY. Even if the dates were much more recent, the SARs arent investigatory, they're spontaneous reports to FinCEN from private institutions saying 'hey my customer looks wrong'.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Talking Points Memo: Feds Got Past Data On Where Cohen’s Cell Phones Were In Run Up To Election

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 am

@MichaelCohen212
will soon share with #America what he told Mueller and #Congress. For now, remember this...#collusion to lie or to influence others to lie, while threatening those who dare to tell the #truth during an investigation, is called #ObstructionOfJustice. More to come

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Cross-posting

Daily Beast
Ex-Lawyer Michael Cohen Headed to ‘Castle Behind Bars’

Fellow inmates will include Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino and Fyre Festival fraudster Billy McFarland.

President Trump’s disgraced former lawyer Michael Cohen will report May 6 to a federal prison that’s been called one of the “cushiest” lockups in the country, where his fellow inmates will include celebrity felons. ...

For prisoners, Otisville—just an hour outside New York City—is a coveted assignment. Forbes magazine deemed it one of America’s 10 “cushiest” prisons and the New York Post called it a “castle behind bars.” U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill has described it as “a jewel” of the federal prison system.

Cohen, who pleaded pleaded guilty to lying to Congress, violating campaign finance law, tax fraud and lying on a bank loan application, asked to be sent to Otisville to serve his three-year sentence. CNN was the first to report that the Bureau of Prisons had approved it.

It’s not the Loews Regency Hotel, where Cohen’s room was raided a year ago, but as prisons go, Otisville has a decent reputation.

“It’s not just good. It’s sweet,” ex-inmate John Altman told the Post in 2012. “The food is right. The commissary is right. The officers don’t bother you. There are a lot of courses you can take. You had weights inside and outside, free weights and machines.”

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Mark your calendar, a week from Monday...
Judge William H. Pauley III sentenced Mr. Cohen to three years in prison; he is scheduled to begin serving his sentence on May 6 after Judge Pauley granted him a two-month delay because of pending shoulder surgery and his need to prepare for testimony before three congressional committees.
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-lawyer ... itter_page
For prisoners, Otisville—just an hour outside New York City—is a coveted assignment. Forbes magazine deemed it one of America’s 10 “cushiest” prisons and the New York Post called it a “castle behind bars.” U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill has described it as “a jewel” of the federal prison system.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Tomorrow is the big date. MSNBC is reporting he'll hold a press conference first. Bring popcorn.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue May 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Oh...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... ium=Social

Exclusive: Trump fixer Cohen says he helped Falwell handle racy photos

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Cohen's now in the BOP inmate locator (No. 86067-054).

For those interested, here's the commissary list.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Racy photos of who?

:sick:

Return to “Trump Administration”