Church & State in the Trump Era

Addie

Church & State in the Trump Era

Post by Addie »

Title has changed

--------------------------

BBC News
Inside the White House Bible Study group

For the first time in at least 100 years, the US Cabinet has a bible study group. What do they learn? What does Donald Trump make of it? And why aren't women allowed to teach?

Every Wednesday, some of the world's most powerful people meet in a conference room in Washington DC to learn about God.

The location can't be revealed - the Secret Service won't allow it - but the members can.

Vice-President Mike Pence. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. Energy Secretary Rick Perry. Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The list goes on.

In total, 10 cabinet members are "sponsors" of the group. Not everyone attends every meeting - they are busy people - but they go if they can.

Meetings last between 60 and 90 minutes, and members are free to contact the teacher after-hours. ...

In 2010, Capitol Ministries arrived in Washington. There was already a ministry called The Fellowship, which runs the National Prayer Breakfast, but Drollinger felt it had "lost its marbles, Biblically".
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
GlimDropper

Re: Bible Study in the Trump Cabinet/Capitol Ministries

Post by GlimDropper »

They're probably devoting much time in prayer and scriptural study to resolve that important theological question: Who Would Jesus Nuke?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

GlimDropper wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:05 am They're probably devoting much time in prayer and scriptural study to resolve that important theological question: Who Would Jesus Nuke?
I suspect it is more of a purity test, a chance to find out who in the cabinet is following the correct interpretation and who is going to lose standing.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I guess it's not really unconstitutional. It is, however, tearing down another norm. I think I heard this during W's tenure, too, but I don't think it was at this high a level.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Is it perhaps Mike Pence checking out who is worthy to serve if the Orange Shitgibbon moves aside? Pence might be dreaming of a Dominionist cabinet of rich, white, sexist, bullying Christians to drive forward his vision of a land of enhanced privilege for the few chosen ones.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

You’re all missing the obvious, she warned, tongue only partially in cheek. These aren’t bible study, they’re planning sessions. :madguy:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Addie

Post by Addie »

kate520 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 am You’re all missing the obvious, she warned, tongue only partially in cheek. These aren’t bible study, they’re planning sessions. :madguy:
:winner:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

kate520 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 am You’re all missing the obvious, she warned, tongue only partially in cheek. These aren’t bible study, they’re planning sessions. :madguy:
Cabinet meeting while the child is playing in his office :?: :doh:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm
You mean while Trump is in the Oval Playpen? ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:22 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm
You mean while Trump is in the Oval Playpen? ;)
The oblate spheroid tantrum pen.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
tek

Post by tek »

I have limited enthusiasm for them doing this kind of stuff on company time.

Just sayin'
There's no way back
from there to here
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Trying to decide between smaller camels and bigger needles?
Bigger-Camels-Smaller-Needles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addie

Post by Addie »

I have zero.
tek wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:30 pm I have limited enthusiasm for them doing this kind of stuff on company time.

Just sayin'
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

It won’t help.
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

Why isn't President Trump leading the prayer session in reading Two Corinthians?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 am I guess it's not really unconstitutional. It is, however, tearing down another norm. I think I heard this during W's tenure, too, but I don't think it was at this high a level.
W had prayers in Cabinet meetings. I'm not sure if this was reported while he was in office, but I think it was.
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Washington and about 60 other U.S. cities have branches of The Fellowship, AKA The Family and the International Foundation. (It should not be confused with Family International.)

The most common events of The Fellowship are its prayer breakfasts. These began in 1944. It is the sponsor of the annual National Prayer Breakfast.

It is said to be very influential in political decisions. The membership is not publicized. It is known that members of Congress attend events.

It might be that the Cabinet Bible study is an activity of this organization.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
bob

Post by bob »

Different group:
In 2010, Capitol Ministries arrived in Washington. There was already a ministry called The Fellowship, which runs the National Prayer Breakfast, but Drollinger felt it had "lost its marbles, Biblically".
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Lani

Post by Lani »

I have my doubts that the meetings are about religion at all. Being a prayer group or whatever probably removes any duty to provide documentation on attendees and their discussions.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

My first thought was W. C. Fields reading the Bible on his deathbed. "Just looking for loopholes."
tek

Post by tek »

:winner:
Lani wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 pm I have my doubts that the meetings are about religion at all. Being a prayer group or whatever probably removes any duty to provide documentation on attendees and their discussions.
There's no way back
from there to here
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

A really devious person could use this to ferment distrust between Trump and his cabinet.... Just saying.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Yep.
tek wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 am :winner:
Lani wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 pm I have my doubts that the meetings are about religion at all. Being a prayer group or whatever probably removes any duty to provide documentation on attendees and their discussions.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Right Wing Watch
Group That Runs Fundamentalist Bible Studies For Cabinet & Congress Growing ‘Beyond Our Wildest Imaginings’ Globally

Ralph Drollinger, who runs fundamentalist Bible studies for dozens of members of Congress and President Trump’s Cabinet every week, said in a fundraising letter this month that his group “has been blessed by God with extraordinary growth beyond our wildest imaginings in foreign nations across the globe and most notably in former Soviet Bloc countries.”

As RWW has reported, Drollinger’s Capitol Ministries is dedicated to teaching public officials a very conservative take on the Bible. Drollinger teaches that “the absolutely critical preeminent duty of the Church in an institutionally separated society” is “to convert the soul and disciple—Christianize—the leaders of the State and its citizenry.” In his recent letter he cites a biblical charge to evangelize kings and writes, “We reach leaders not because their souls are more precious to God, but because their influence upon the world is so great.” ...

Drollinger’s April 13 Bible study says it is a “disservice to the country” for public servants to “craft policy that is not somehow rooted in Scripture.” Here are some of the other theological and political positions Drollinger teaches public officials:
the government’s job is to “quell evil”

governments and leaders “must send a constant message that sin will be punished”

entitlement programs have no “biblical authority”

liberal Christians aren’t really Christians, they’re “simpletons”

Catholicism is “one of the primary false religions in the world”

“Radical environmentalism” is a “false religion”

“God only hears the prayers of leaders and citizens who are upright, who live righteously through faith in Jesus Christ”

“God is a capitalist” and because of excessive environmental regulations in the U.S. “the economic benefits God intends from private property ownership have been greatly diminished”

“righteous” people with government positions should not “compromise Biblical absolutes” and should hire only other “righteous” people
phaseolus

Post by phaseolus »

[/size]
Addie wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm Right Wing Watch
:snippity:

“righteous” people with government positions should not “compromise Biblical absolutes” and should hire only other “righteous” people
No. Religious. Test. Shall. EVER. Be. Applied.

Return to “Trump Administration”