Trump's military parade

Kendra

Trump's military parade

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 am

Might as well start a new thread, this story might have legs. How on earth can he justify the expense with all of our crumbling infrastructure and federal debt?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 8bfa14b283
WorldViews Analysis
Why Trump’s military parade won’t be ‘like the one in France’

BERLIN — Russian President Vladimir Putin has them. So does North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and French President Emmanuel Macron.

Now, President Trump wants his own military parade in Washington, with soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards. Officials told The Washington Post on Tuesday that they have begun planning a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Post, which noted that shows of military strength are not typical in the United States. The last of its kind took place in June 1991, when 8,800 U.S. troops and the weapons that helped the United States win the Persian Gulf War against Saddam Hussein were celebrated in Washington.

But in Europe, defense scholars immediately raised questions about whether Trump’s desired military parade would really fall into the same category as France’s Bastille Day parade, which is held annually and is deeply rooted in the country’s history and values. Although Trump's parade, like the French one, would feature the nation’s military might, it might send a very different message, some European defense analysts and columnists said.

Turtle

Re: Trump's military parade

Post by Turtle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am

Maybe Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq or Yemen will pay for it.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am

Trump's "parade" will be like those in North Korea and the not seen lately parades that were in the old Soviet Union.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am

Turtle wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am
Maybe Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq or Yemen will pay for it.
Maddow is still trying to figure out where the leftover $$$ from the inauguration fund went to...

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am
Trump's "parade" will be like those in North Korea and the not seen lately parades that were in the old Soviet Union.
Yes! And where the people who don't clap enthusiastically enough at Kim's speeches are executed.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

foilwatcher

Post by foilwatcher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 am

In the interest of cost containment I propose a dick measuring contest.
"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

pdt97801

Post by pdt97801 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Get some clowns, dog and ponies, and a few peddle cars and let his grandkids parade on the White House driveway. That would be a good parade for him.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/372716 ... ary-parade
A spokeswoman for D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser on Wednesday ruled out any notion of the District paying for President Trump's proposed military parade, saying that Trump would have to pay for it himself.

Anu Rangappa said there has not yet been formal outreach to D.C. officials about the proposed parade.

"In the meantime, we do know that, just like the wall, he will have to pay for it," she said, referring to Trump's proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. Funding requests for that project have hit staunch opposition in Congress.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Pentagon officials, at the behest of Trump, were beginning to plan a military parade in Washington, similar to the Bastille Day parade Trump attended in France last year.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders later confirmed that such an event is in the works.

"President Trump is incredibly supportive of America’s great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe," she said. "He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Ninja'd by Mayor Bowser. :crying:

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am
NK is planning a parade to "scare the bejeezus" out of us.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm
A spokeswoman for D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser on Wednesday ruled out any notion of the District paying for President Trump's proposed military parade, saying that Trump would have to pay for it himself.

Anu Rangappa said there has not yet been formal outreach to D.C. officials about the proposed parade.

"In the meantime, we do know that, just like the wall, he will have to pay for it," she said, referring to Trump's proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. Funding requests for that project have hit staunch opposition in Congress.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Pentagon officials, at the behest of Trump, were beginning to plan a military parade in Washington, similar to the Bastille Day parade Trump attended in France last year.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders later confirmed that such an event is in the works.

"President Trump is incredibly supportive of America’s great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe," she said. "He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."
This is the money quote:
It's because MACRON/France had a two hour parade in honor of Bastille Day. It's an ego thing - he hates Macron for outsmarting re: the handshake

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Gawd! I can't believe we even have a topic with this title.
:bigvomit: :yankyank: :torches: :yankyank: :bigvomit:

Edit: Messy.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm
:snippity:

His Dictatorship has ordered it, now all Americans jump and run and fill those empty seats along Pennsylvania Ave, cannot have that bad view like at the inauguration happen again, we truly need Teh Millions to fill the Potemkin Village :!:

PS. I thought the American people were showing their appreciation even so often at the homecoming of their soldiers from a war zone, not?

Somebody needs to tweet to this clown-in-chief a selection of Youtube videos ffrom the last decade or so.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Mr. President, do your duty. Go see our troops.
Gregg Zoroya, USA TODAY Opinion Published 3:15 a.m. ET Jan. 10, 2018 | Updated 1:15 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2018

President Trump has yet to visit the 21,000 U.S. troops stationed in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria. See how many trips his predecessors made.
Donald Trump needs to ditch his cronies, get off the golf course, and go thank the men and women who keep us safe.

It was New Year's Day 1993 in Somalia, and the 41st president of the United States was exhausted in the equatorial heat settling over a former Soviet air base that the U.S. Marines had recently occupied.

George H.W. Bush was 68 years old and a lame-duck president weeks from leaving office. One of his last decisions as president was sending troops to Somalia for famine-relief security. Now he wanted to thank them, and had flown in by Black Hawk helicopter from a Navy amphibious assault ship off the African shore.

It must have been a tiring trip from Washington because Bush looked drawn and weary. He had a motion-sickness patch behind one ear. Still, he stood for almost two hours in the sun posing with any Marine or soldier who wanted a photo. I was a reporter embedded with the troops, impressed to see some 200 take their turn one by one — a crowd of shaved heads and grinning faces with Bush at the core.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 996139001/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Obama actually performed meaningful activities on Veteran's and Memorial Days. I think Trump met with seven veterans, sent a tweet and then hit the links on Veteran's Day. I don't think he did anything on Memorial Day except head for the golf course. Maybe someone should whisper into his ear "Sir, we already have some holidays set aside that are meant for showing appreciation to active, retired, and service members who lost their lives". But, I think what stops them from telling him these things is they know he will promptly send a tweet that begins with "Who knew..."
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm
Obama actually performed meaningful activities on Veteran's and Memorial Days. I think Trump met with seven veterans, sent a tweet and then hit the links on Veteran's Day. I don't think he did anything on Memorial Day except head for the golf course. Maybe someone should whisper into his ear "Sir, we already have some holidays set aside that are meant for showing appreciation to active, retired, and service members who lost their lives". But, I think what stops them from telling him these things is they know he will promptly send a tweet that begins with "Who knew..."
You read my mind. We have parades on Veteran's Day and Memorial Day. Instead of Trump going to see the troops on active duty, he's going to make them march past him in the grandstands.

I just realized why people say "grandstanding." 💡
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Trump is getting a lot of blowback on the parade idea even from some on the rightwing side of politics. Will Trump really want to endure 10 months of ridicule about this?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:01 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm
Gawd! I can't believe we even have a topic with this title.
:bigvomit: :yankyank: :torches: :yankyank: :bigvomit:

Edit: Messy.
Sorry.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Trump is getting a lot of blowback on the parade idea even from some on the rightwing side pf politics. Will Trump really want to endure 10 months of ridicule about this?
Since it seems the parade is just for him, couldn't they have it at a military base and televise it. Easier to fake the huuuuuge crowds then.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Trump is getting a lot of blowback on the parade idea even from some on the rightwing side pf politics. Will Trump really want to endure 10 months of ridicule about this?
Since it seems the parade is just for him, couldn't they have it at a military base and televise it. Easier to fake the huuuuuge crowds then.
I'm sure this is what they will end up having to do. If they are going to have a parade on the streets in Washington I would think it would require beefing up of infrastructure. He will be out of office before any of that can happen. I hope.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm

45 won't care at all what it will take to do this parade. He just has to prove his weenie military is bigger than anybody else's.

And he wanted one originally for his inauguration, so he didn't get the idea from Paris.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm
45 won't care at all what it will take to do this parade. He just has to prove his weenie military is bigger than anybody else's.

And he wanted one originally for his inauguration, so he didn't get the idea from Paris.
:eek2: That is even more deeply chilling.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 11.27.52 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Trump Administration”