Fourth overseas trip - Asia

MN-Skeptic

Fourth overseas trip - Asia

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Trump's 12-day trip to Asia begins this Friday. Lord help us all.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Fourth overseas trip - Asia

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 pm

I hear he’s going to the Korean DMZ. My imagination is running wild.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:10 pm

A long article from Politico -
Trump advisers try to focus the president's attention on Asia trip

President Donald Trump has been holed up in a series of rapid-fire briefing sessions on his upcoming 12-day, five-country tour through Asia — an effort the White House hopes will help avoid the kind of diplomatic snafus that have dogged his presidency.

The trip — Trump’s longest yet — comes at a tense moment in Asia, with the threat of the North Korea nuclear program looming. But some of Trump’s advisers believe the time away from Washington will offer the president, who leaves Friday, a brief respite from the Russia-related revelations that have consumed him in recent days.

Trump’s top advisers — including national security adviser H.R. McMaster, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer — have met with the president in recent days to go over details of the trip, including in an hourlong briefing Friday in the Oval Office, according to administration officials. Top aides have sought to keep the briefings short to avoid overloading the president with details but have scheduled dozens of them to plan public remarks and outline what he should say about North Korea on defense and China on trade.

“We’ve kind of tried to do it in pieces so it’s easy to keep up with,” said another administration official, adding that National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn and Defense Secretary James Mattis have also briefed the president.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm

He's stopping here on his way! :eek2:

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 pm

June bug wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm
And Huckabee just left!

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Lani wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 pm
June bug wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm
And Huckabee just left!
I know - awful, ain't it??

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 pm
Nope.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trum ... SKBN1D021E
“The president is not going to visit the DMZ. There is not enough time in the schedule,” the official told reporters in a background briefing.

Instead, Trump will be the first American president to visit Camp Humphreys, a military installation south of the South Korean capital of Seoul.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm

By some bit of serendipity, I will be flying out of Asia just as the OSG is arriving, and leaving the US right before he returns :)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Somerset wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm
By some bit of serendipity, I will be flying out of Asia just as the OSG is arriving, and leaving the US right before he returns :)
You can wave at his plane the way that cyclist waved at his limousine. :-D

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
He will pull a Bergdhal and go AWOL into N.K. to make the bygliest deal of his life with Kim :!: Kim has promised to change the mystery Ryugyong Hotel into a golden Trump ShTower. As a result of common interests nobody will attack anybody. And Teh Donald has promised to fit his new hotel out with all American hardware while allowing N.Koreans to submit job applications for the handful of slave jobs... #MAGA

:liar: :liar: :liar:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Mr Trump has cultivated a reputation for unpredictability – or more often sheer inconsistency, as much as he has cultivated his ignorance or disdain for much of what US diplomacy has traditionally been about. Intense China-bashing over trade in his campaign was followed by a show of awkward friendship with the Chinese leader in Mar-a-Lago and, last week, a fawning accolade to the man “some people might call … the King of China”. It will take more than crude flattery to balance competing interests. North Korea’s multiple firing of missiles and nuclear tests, combined with his own bellicose rhetoric, have placed the push for further cooperation from China at the top of the agenda. He has gone back on his threat to label China as a currency manipulator – having said that would be his first decision in office. Yet he still wants to show he can tackle the “horrible” trade deficit. Talk of a trade war may or may not be something of the past.

Mr Trump likes to cast himself as a deal-maker but has spent more time tearing up or weakening agreements than creating new ones. He backed out of the flawed 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, but has not spelt out what a mooted “Indo-Pacific” replacement might mean. Widespread doubts over US leadership have been a boon to China. Mr Trump arrives as an enfeebled president, laden with scandal; Xi Jinping is fresh from a Communist party congress which further entrenched his personal power and promised a new era of Chinese global leadership.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
He will pull a Bergdhal and go AWOL into N.K. to make the bygliest deal of his life with Kim :!: Kim has promised to change the mystery Ryugyong Hotel into a golden Trump ShTower. As a result of common interests nobody will attack anybody. And Teh Donald has promised to fit his new hotel out with all American hardware while allowing N.Koreans to submit job applications for the handful of slave jobs... #MAGA

:liar: :liar: :liar:
Bravo!!!!! #MANKGA

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

:snippity:

Mr Trump likes to cast himself as a deal-maker but has spent more time tearing up or weakening agreements than creating new ones. He backed out of the flawed 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, but has not spelt out what a mooted “Indo-Pacific” replacement might mean. Widespread doubts over US leadership have been a boon to China. Mr Trump arrives as an enfeebled president, laden with scandal; Xi Jinping is fresh from a Communist party congress which further entrenched his personal power and promised a new era of Chinese global leadership.
Ouch!

I like that they really didn't pull any punches. It's too bad they don't do that here.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:51 am

Maybe Donald's fleeing the country because the walls are closing in and he has to escape! He's bringing the family! They're finally on to him. Maybe he won't be allowed back in the country and all his orders will be invalid.

/birther :lol:

Looking forward to him being gone with his miscreants for 12 days.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

Maybe he will like the businesz opportunities in Asia so much that he will not come back. Chongqing really needs a gilded Trump hotel. That way the mayor's wife would not HAS had to murder that Englishman in Holiday Inn.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am

Ivanka's there ahead of Daddy Dearest, and it's not going well.

http://www.newsweek.com/ivanka-trump-sp ... ium=Social
Ivanka Trump’s long-anticipated speech at the World Assembly for Women in Japan failed to draw in crowds, according to reporters that attended the event.

Several who attended the final day of the three-day symposium described the room as “half empty” when the first daughter and advisor to the president arrived accompanied by Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who invited her to deliver a speech on women’s participation in the economy.

Trump arrived in Japan Thursday, ahead of President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump's visit to the country as part of an Asia tour.

Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am

On the news last night (CNN) his trip was being billed as a "10 day trip to Asia..."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am

Trump just doesn't want to be in the USA tomorrow when Antifa takes over. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am
Ivanka's there ahead of Daddy Dearest, and it's not going well.

http://www.newsweek.com/ivanka-trump-sp ... ium=Social
Ivanka Trump’s long-anticipated speech at the World Assembly for Women in Japan failed to draw in crowds, according to reporters that attended the event.

Several who attended the final day of the three-day symposium described the room as “half empty” when the first daughter and advisor to the president arrived accompanied by Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who invited her to deliver a speech on women’s participation in the economy.

Trump arrived in Japan Thursday, ahead of President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump's visit to the country as part of an Asia tour.
Yesterday on ABC news they said she was given a rock star welcome, with four TV channels covering her arrival live from the airport. The poor attendance at her speech was, actors to the reporter, a surprise, as she is very popular in Japan; she indicated it may have more to do with Japan's appalling gender equality policies than anything else. The radio also played a snippet of her speech. It was terrible. Very clichéd and her delivery was worse than I've heard in high school speech competitions. She said something like, "On Sunday night, after a fun and exciting weekend with my children, I am more exhausted than on Friday night after a long week and work," then tittered and said, again very flatly, "It's true." Like she was waiting for the audience to laugh at her oh-so-funny joke. Then she paid lip service to stay at home mothers while not actually advancing any policies that would help them. (My feminism is very grounded in the acknowledgement of unpaid labor - I believe equality will only come when men are full and equal participants in unpaid labor, so we need policies which recognise unpaid labor and encourage men to do their full share.)

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:51 pm

I really doubt any of the Trump Bunch understand anything about the Asian cultures, this trip could become a fiasco. Please, pretty please.....

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:51 pm

may...

:yeah:

On your last statement in parentheses.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:01 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:51 pm
may...

:yeah:

On your last statement in parentheses.
:like:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

BrianH

Post by BrianH » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am
Trump just doesn't want to be in the USA tomorrow when Antifa takes over. ;)

So.... this morning I (all crewmembers did actually) got an email from our system chief pilot, he was forwarding a message from our security department. The message warned us to avoid part of Cincinnati today because Antifa was going to be there attacking anyone they saw.

I hit a Reply All and told him to turn off Fox News.

What a shitstorm that triggered.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 pm

:thumbs:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Return to “Trump Administration”