Post #2001 by Skip Intro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

More fresh blood to DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it

RoadScholar

Re: President Trump

Post #2002 by RoadScholar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Chilidog wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:
Chilidog wrote:Trump always reminds me of this quote.

Disputed[edit]
"Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out."
Attributed to Cardinal Wolsey by columnist George Will, a line that he says was "uttered about Henry VIII", as quoted in William A. Henry, In Defense of Elitism (Anchor Books, 1995), p. 45.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Wolsey

Maybe yes, maybe no. Certainly works for the Orange Menace. More's the pity, not everything can be put in. Only the stuff he wants, which is usually wrong. :(
Wikipedia?

The quote was recounted by Wolsey's "gentleman usher" George Cavemdish in his book about the Cardinal

(The first modern biography in the English Language)

George Will did NOT originate that quote

https://archive.org/stream/lifeofcardin ... h_djvu.txt

In that case, maybe you'd be willing to edit the page? You have authoritative background info there. My bad. :oops:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart things that don't work and figure out why.

Post #2003 by Somerset » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:But Trumpistas just talk ill-advised and inconsistent lying crap all the time, and everybody around the world knows it by now. So a statement on one day is not a good indication of the view of Trump or his regime on another day, is it?

So I reckon China's rulers might well be heartened by Tillerson's poor choice of words, but they'd be unwise to place much weight on it.

IMHO they may well be knowing of the mismatch across the language barrier, but when it serves them, they will press forward in establishing their semantics and hold the USA liable for any trouble that arises when they press their point. Expect some damaged boats or planes in the South China Sea.

I doubt this will happen unless the US starts shooting, and I have faith that our military leadership is smarter than that. Ownership of the disputed islands is an issue between the Philippines and China, and Duterte has essentially sold them for $14 billion in infrastructure improvements and soft loans. Unless China tries to impede ship or plane movement in the South China Sea, there is no basis for the US to get involved. I think China is also smart enough to not do this. The bigger focus is on the Korean peninsula, and I don't think either side wants to be distracted by stuff around the Philippines.

Mikedunford

Post #2004 by Mikedunford » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 am

Somerset wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:But Trumpistas just talk ill-advised and inconsistent lying crap all the time, and everybody around the world knows it by now. So a statement on one day is not a good indication of the view of Trump or his regime on another day, is it?

So I reckon China's rulers might well be heartened by Tillerson's poor choice of words, but they'd be unwise to place much weight on it.

IMHO they may well be knowing of the mismatch across the language barrier, but when it serves them, they will press forward in establishing their semantics and hold the USA liable for any trouble that arises when they press their point. Expect some damaged boats or planes in the South China Sea.

I doubt this will happen unless the US starts shooting, and I have faith that our military leadership is smarter than that. Ownership of the disputed islands is an issue between the Philippines and China, and Duterte has essentially sold them for $14 billion in infrastructure improvements and soft loans. Unless China tries to impede ship or plane movement in the South China Sea, there is no basis for the US to get involved. I think China is also smart enough to not do this. The bigger focus is on the Korean peninsula, and I don't think either side wants to be distracted by stuff around the Philippines.

I completely concur with regard to shooting.

However, I would be a bit surprised if there aren't additional "inadvertent" near-misses involving aircraft in the region, and some sort of collision wouldn't come as a complete shock to me.

1 Cranch 137, 177

Sam the Centipede

Post #2005 by Sam the Centipede » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:45 am

I broadly agree with Somerset's and MikeDunford's analyses. I too expect to see more bullying and muscle-flexing behavior from China's diplomats and navy. But I think that China will perceive this US administration as uninterested and indifferent, so unlikely to react militarily or economically, rather than approving or supportive. Whereas they would have known that Hillary Clinton is hawkish and rather too keen on deploying her​ armed forces.

But I could be wrong: perhaps Tillerson, Trump, Bannon etc. look on approvingly and think "yeah! that's how the world should run! power to those with the military might to impose their will!"

As Robert Kennedy's faux Chinese curse has it, these could be "interesting times".

Skip Intro

Post #2006 by Skip Intro » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 pm

A lying liar lies again.

SueDB

Post #2007 by SueDB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

As far as the South China Sea goes, don't discount the capacity for the Vietnamese and the Japanese to "make trouble". Japan has been chatting about sending their largest JSDF ship in harm's way sometime this year. Since the China PLArmy was totally and terribly embarrassed by losing to the Vietnamese in the border wars of the late 70's, they have been seeking some revenge or "a reckoning" .

I have confidence in the US senior officers to keep their heads in a crisis, but I don't trust 45 to force the issue with a Presidential Order which they cannot refuse.

The Chinese totally owned amateur TillerTrump. Besides who listens to Tillertrump when it's Kushner or one of the other close 45 ass suckers that matter.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Orlylicious

Post #2008 by Orlylicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Donald you're toxic.

This is hilarious.

Flight Attendant Flawlessly Lip Syncs Britney Spears's "Toxic" on an Empty Plane
March 21, 2017 by Quinn Keaney

A Toxic performance on A330 by @AssrafNasir. Cc @britneyspears pic.twitter.com/xoRksL1DZw
— huski (@FarhanRzman) March 16, 2017

Flying these days is almost always a massive hassle. There are crying babies, the food is terrible, and using the overhead bins now costs money. But there is also a shining beacon of hope that airlines might be doing something right: this hero flight attendant who re-created Britney Spears's "Toxic" music video on an empty plane. Assraf Nasir, a gift to the human race in the form of an AirAsia flight attendant, recently took advantage of his passenger-less flight by executing a flawless lip-sync to the pop star's 2003 song, and later shared the footage on Twitter. Although he chose not to roll around the plane in a sparkly nude bodysuit, he nails everything from seductively pushing the drink cart to grinding against a bathroom door. Something tells us Britney would wholeheartedly approve.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Sam the Centipede

Post #2009 by Sam the Centipede » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Orlylicious wrote:Donald you're toxic.

This is hilarious.

Flight Attendant Flawlessly Lip Syncs Britney Spears's "Toxic" on an Empty Plane :snippity:

Not wholly sure why you chose this thread for that lovely vid - perhaps you are suggesting that Donald Trump should increase his popularity by making his own video for this song? That would be terrific awesome excellent brilliant fantastic superb truly horrible.

tek

Post #2010 by tek » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:34 am

On eliminating (or rolling back) mileage standards:

Although the whole 2025 CAFE fuel economy requirements may be removed by the Administration sometime soon, we can’t lose sight of the fact that global automobile manufacturers—which pretty much means almost any company that you can name at the drop of a hat—have to compete on a global basis, so unless the European Union and the People’s Republic of China decide to eliminate their forthcoming requirements, then improving fuel efficiency is a must-do for the OEMs. After all, an increasing number of vehicles are being developed as global platforms, which helps reduce the engineering costs. In addition to which, there are the advantages realized by manufacturing economies of scale. Simply put: the more you make, the greater the return (assuming, of course, that people buy ‘em).

http://www.adandp.media/articles/achieving-efficiency

NMgirl

Post #2011 by NMgirl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 am

POLITICO‏Verified account @politico 2h2 hours ago

Report: Trump to deliver commencement address at Liberty University

Damn. Those invitations from Harvard, Yale and Stanford musta gotten lost in the mail.

TollandRCR

Post #2012 by TollandRCR » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 am

Trump may have forgotten that Liberty University students organized a protest of their president Jerry Falwell, Jr.'s support of Trump. http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/politics/liberty-university-jerry-falwell-jr-donald-trump/

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

BrianH

Post #2013 by BrianH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 am

Hats off to Liberty U. for choosing a speaker who will ignore the students and proclaim his own greatness.

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." John Blutarsky, Faber College

Suranis

Post #2014 by Suranis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 am

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, secretly worked for a Russian billionaire to advance the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin a decade ago and proposed an ambitious political strategy to undermine anti-Russian opposition across former Soviet republics, The Associated Press has learned. The work appears to contradict assertions by the Trump administration and Manafort himself that he never worked for Russian interests.

Manafort proposed in a confidential strategy plan as early as June 2005 that he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government, even as U.S.-Russia relations under Republican President George W. Bush grew worse. Manafort pitched the plans to Russian aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, a close Putin ally with whom Manafort eventually signed a $10 million annual contract beginning in 2006, according to interviews with several people familiar with payments to Manafort and business records obtained by the AP. Manafort and Deripaska maintained a business relationship until at least 2009, according to one person familiar with the work.

"We are now of the belief that this model can greatly benefit the Putin Government if employed at the correct levels with the appropriate commitment to success," Manafort wrote in the 2005 memo to Deripaska. The effort, Manafort wrote, "will be offering a great service that can re-focus, both internally and externally, the policies of the Putin government."

Manafort's plans were laid out in documents obtained by the AP that included strategy memoranda and records showing international wire transfers for millions of dollars. How much work Manafort performed under the contract was unclear.

The disclosure comes as Trump campaign advisers are the subject of an FBI probe and two congressional investigations. Investigators are reviewing whether the Trump campaign and its associates coordinated with Moscow to meddle in the 2016 campaign. Manafort has dismissed the investigations as politically motivated and misguided, and said he never worked for Russian interests. The documents obtained by AP show Manafort's ties to Russia were closer than previously revealed.

https://www.apnews.com/122ae0b5848345fa ... Government

I hope he rolls over like a rat and dishes all the dirt.

Some are born cretins, some achieve cretiniss, and some have cretiniss forced upon them.

Chilidog

Post #2015 by Chilidog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

NMgirl wrote:
POLITICO‏Verified account @politico 2h2 hours ago

Report: Trump to deliver commencement address at Liberty University

Damn. Those invitations from Harvard, Yale and Stanford musta gotten lost in the mail.

The only school where the students won't boo him.

kate520

Post #2016 by kate520 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am

From Suranis's post:
...he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government...

They got their money's worth from Manafort, for sure. I don't think he'll sing, though, unless there's someone he hates enough to go down with. If I were him I'd never go higHer than the second floor of any building.*

Interesting times...

Gorokhov was set to be a witness in USA v. Prevezon, a cause that, until recently, was being prosecuted by fired U.S. attorney Preet Bharara. President Donald Trump ousted Bharara in a high-profile firing last week. As BuzzFeed reports, one of the attorneys reportedly on the shortlist to replace Bharara is US Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who in the past defended Prevezon.

Gorokhov’s spokesman William Browder told BuzzFeed the lawyer was “thrown from the fourth floor of his apartment building.” The spokesman said Gorokhov’s name had been redacted from all of the documents surrounding the case because “the feds were very concerned for his safety.”

Copied from Lani's post in Congressional Hearings

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

TollandRCR

Post #2017 by TollandRCR » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:47 am

Don't be so sure that some Liberty University students will not boo Trump. Some of them are aware that Trump is about as far away from being a practicing Christian as it is possible to be. They are the ones who know this verse:
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (NIV)

Jerry Falwell, Jr., just wants the attention of a presidential visit. I hope Trump embarrasses him.

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

NMgirl

Post #2018 by NMgirl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:58 am

TollandRCR wrote:Don't be so sure that some Liberty University students will not boo Trump. Some of them are aware that Trump is about as far away from being a practicing Christian as it is possible to be. They are the ones who know this verse:
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (NIV)

Jerry Falwell, Jr., just wants the attention of a presidential visit. I hope Trump embarrasses him.

From Politico:

"Liberty is also the site of one of Trump more memorable campaign trail gaffes, where he attempted to cite scripture by referring to “Two Corinthians” instead of “Second Corinthians,” the way the biblical book is typically cited."

Volkonski

Post #2019 by Volkonski » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Enbridge to cut 1,000 jobs in Houston, Canada after Spectra merger

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2017/03/22/enbr ... ra-merger/

Expect Trump tweet about this soon. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Whatever4

Post #2020 by Whatever4 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

kate520 wrote:From Suranis's post:
...he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government...

They got their money's worth from Manafort, for sure. I don't think he'll sing, though, unless there's someone he hates enough to go down with. If I were him I'd never go higHer than the second floor of any building.*

Interesting times...

Gorokhov was set to be a witness in USA v. Prevezon, a cause that, until recently, was being prosecuted by fired U.S. attorney Preet Bharara. President Donald Trump ousted Bharara in a high-profile firing last week. As BuzzFeed reports, one of the attorneys reportedly on the shortlist to replace Bharara is US Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who in the past defended Prevezon.

Gorokhov’s spokesman William Browder told BuzzFeed the lawyer was “thrown from the fourth floor of his apartment building.” The spokesman said Gorokhov’s name had been redacted from all of the documents surrounding the case because “the feds were very concerned for his safety.”

Copied from Lani's post in Congressional Hearings

Don't want to catch the Russian Flew. Er, Flu.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Janny in Texas

Post #2021 by Janny in Texas » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm

BrianH wrote:Hats off to Liberty U. for choosing a speaker who will ignore the students and proclaim his own greatness.

Oh John Blutarsky, you left us too soon!

Chilidog

Post #2022 by Chilidog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Janny in Texas wrote:
BrianH wrote:Hats off to Liberty U. for choosing a speaker who will ignore the students and proclaim his own greatness.

Oh John Blutarsky, you left us too soon!

Best damned Senator ever!

optimusprime

Post #2023 by optimusprime » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 pm

I will be at this event because my niece, the daughter of my wife's sister, is graduating from Liberty this year.

She has already begged me to come and check my politics at the door, but thanks be to God that she has a limited number of tickets and a big family. I will sit this one out in the parking lot - not in the overflow room.

Skip Intro

Post #2024 by Skip Intro » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:53 pm

We have now reached the derpularity.

Trump retweets conspiracy crackpot Bill Mitchell linking to a gateway pundit post.

Return to “Trump Administration”