Trump's Trade Follicy

Gregg

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Gregg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Comic Book Classics version of The Reformation.

Never let them actually read the damn thing, they might start to think we're using it to control them.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Huawei files lawsuit against US Commerce Dept over seized equipment

By Reuters - June 22, 2019 @ 5:40pm

WASHINGTON: Huawei Technologies Co Inc filed a lawsuit against the US Commerce Department on Friday in a fight over whether telecommunications equipment that it sent from China to the United States, and then back to China, is covered by Export Administration Regulations, according to a court filing.

The equipment was seized by the US government while on its way back to China in September 2017, and no decision has been made about what to do with it, the filing said.

“The equipment, to the best of HT USA’s knowledge, remains in a bureaucratic limbo in an Alaskan warehouse,” Huawei said in its lawsuit.

Huawei asked for the equipment to be either released for shipment or for the Commerce Department to decide that it was shipped illegally.

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2019/06/49 ... -equipment

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm
Comic Book Classics version of The Reformation.

Never let them actually read the damn thing, they might start to think we're using it to control them.
Prophetic writing always means exactly what you want it to mean.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm

U.S. Tech Companies Sidestep a Trump Ban, to Keep Selling to Huawei

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/tech ... tw-nytimes
A number of the United States’ biggest chip makers have sold millions of dollars of products to Huawei despite a Trump administration ban on the sale of American technology to the Chinese telecommunications giant, according to four people with knowledge of the sales.

Since the Commerce Department enacted the ban in May, American companies including Intel and Micron have found ways to sell technology to Huawei, said the people, who spoke on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to disclose the sales.

The components began to flow to Huawei about three weeks ago, the people said. Goods produced by American companies overseas are not always considered American-made, and the suppliers are taking advantage of this. The sales will help Huawei continue to sell products such as smartphones and servers.

The deals underscore how difficult it is for the Trump administration to clamp down on companies that it considers a national security threat, like Huawei. They also hint at the possible unintended consequences from altering the web of trade relationships that ties together the world’s electronics industry and global commerce.
So those companies are shifting production out of the USA to other countries. Trump must be so happy. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm
U.S. Tech Companies Sidestep a Trump Ban, to Keep Selling to Huawei

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/tech ... tw-nytimes
A number of the United States’ biggest chip makers have sold millions of dollars of products to Huawei despite a Trump administration ban on the sale of American technology to the Chinese telecommunications giant, according to four people with knowledge of the sales.

Since the Commerce Department enacted the ban in May, American companies including Intel and Micron have found ways to sell technology to Huawei, said the people, who spoke on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to disclose the sales.

The components began to flow to Huawei about three weeks ago, the people said. Goods produced by American companies overseas are not always considered American-made, and the suppliers are taking advantage of this. The sales will help Huawei continue to sell products such as smartphones and servers.

The deals underscore how difficult it is for the Trump administration to clamp down on companies that it considers a national security threat, like Huawei. They also hint at the possible unintended consequences from altering the web of trade relationships that ties together the world’s electronics industry and global commerce.
So those companies are shifting production out of the USA to other countries. Trump must be so happy. ;)
Not shifting production, but have always produced. In the semi world, Taiwan, Korea and Singapore are major foundry players, with lesser production in Malaysia and China. Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, China, Singapore and Malaysia all have substantial subcontract test and assembly capacity. Singapore is a HUGE distribution and logistics hub, with Hong Kong close behind.

Same for most other electronic components and subassemblies. Vietnam and Indonesia are also big players in this sandbox.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Just curious, Somerset, what companies have factories in Vietnam? By "foundry", you mean raw chip manufacturers? I'm just trying to gauge the technical level of production in Vietnam because it seems to me, as I mentioned earlier, that it is prime to expand with tech manuf. (as opposed to, say, clothing, which has been a major motor).
I do know big local capital (with Spanish tech) started producing its own smartphones...
https://www.vir.com.vn/vingroup-launche ... 64297.html
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:59 pm

HST's Ghost wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm
Just curious, Somerset, what companies have factories in Vietnam? By "foundry", you mean raw chip manufacturers? I'm just trying to gauge the technical level of production in Vietnam because it seems to me, as I mentioned earlier, that it is prime to expand with tech manuf. (as opposed to, say, clothing, which has been a major motor).
I do know big local capital (with Spanish tech) started producing its own smartphones...
https://www.vir.com.vn/vingroup-launche ... 64297.html
Off Topic
LG Innotek and Sharp have camera module factories, ON Semiconductor has a fairly large facility (2,500+ people), and Intel has a large assembly site, among many others.

Quite a bit here: https://www.google.com/maps/search/Bien ... !1e3?hl=en

Foundries make semiconductor wafers, and sometimes test them as well. Assembly/Test facilities electrically test wafers (probing), dice them into individual die, (sometimes do a lot of other stuff), assemble them into packages and do final test on the packaged devices.

I visited VNU HCMC with an IEEE delegation several years ago, and there was a lot of talk about boosting the curriculum to support a fledgling IC test/assembly industry. It's slowly happening :)

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Off Topic
Thanks! Interesting location for those factories. Hit me up if you ever end up here on business again~~

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Wall Street Journal (Paywall)
Apple Moves Mac Pro Production to China

The $6,000 desktop computer had been the company’s only major device assembled in the U.S.

Apple Inc. is manufacturing its new Mac Pro computer in China, according to people familiar with its plans, shifting abroad production of what had been its only major device assembled in the U.S. as trade tensions escalate between the Trump administration and Beijing.

The tech giant has tapped Taiwanese contractor Quanta Computer Inc. to manufacture the $6,000 desktop computer and is ramping up production at a factory near Shanghai, the people said. Apple can save on shipping costs for components given the proximity of many ...

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm

Are we great again yet?

That means we get the Chinese to pay $1500 each for them now, right? :rolleye:

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 pm

It should be pretty obvious that Vietnam would have a similar tightly state-controlled economy as China, which, of course, makes them a "bad player" now. So companies are going to move from China to Vietnam to Cambodia to Laos to Myanmar...hit with heavy tariffs all along until they magically return to the USA...
Trade-War Winner Vietnam Is Now a Target for Trump’s Tariffs
Vietnam’s recent fame as a big winner of the U.S.-China trade war may be bringing it unwanted attention from President Donald Trump.

When asked in an interview with Fox Business Network if he wanted to impose tariffs on Vietnam, Trump said: “Well, we’re in discussions with Vietnam. Vietnam is almost the single worst -- that’s much smaller than China, much -- but it’s almost the single worst abuser of everybody.”

Just last month, the U.S. Treasury added Vietnam to a watchlist of countries it’s monitoring for possible currency manipulation. The nation's benchmark VN Index slumped 1.7% Thursday, to the lowest since Feb. 12.

Vietnam has benefited from a surge in exports and foreign investment as businesses look to scale back their China operations or relocate to avoid higher U.S. tariffs. But it’s also fighting claims that Chinese exporters are routing their goods via Vietnam and slapping fake labels on their products to bypass the tariffs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... crosshairs

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:53 am

Gregg wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm
Are we great again yet?

That means we get the Chinese to pay $1500 each for them now, right? :rolleye:
I guess the world markets are setting the conditions. Even when the Mac Pro was produced in the US I am sure there were a yuuge number of imported components that now are hicking the costs dues to the tariffs. Makes the price tag for exports from the US rise too.

I still cannot understand that this dofus administration had not planned to refund tariffs on goods that are produced for export once they leave the country. :brickwallsmall:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:02 pm

I hope the DNC and/or all the Democratic campaigns are keeping track of all these companies that are planning on or have moved production out of the US to other countries as a result of Trump's disastrous policies. It would probably be quite effective on the eventual debate stage when Trump and whoever the Democratic nominee is when that nominee can name one after another after another company that is no longer employing Americans to build these products. We can't afford another four years of Donald J Trump. This country would never recover eight years of Trump, we will have a hard enough time getting back to zero after four years of this menace.

For instance, just how exactly does any future president ever get Iran back to the negotiating table? There is no denying that the USA completely reneged on a signed deal that was, in fact working. Trump voters think all we have to do is wait for Trump's tactics to work. But, they weren't willing to wait for the Iran deal to have even further consequences toward getting Iranians to see that cooperation with the rest of the world might be better for them than continuing to support terrorism and continuing to vote for hardliner leaders. Trump fully, completely, effectively, and irresponsibly removed all the progress that was carefully and painstakingly achieved. And that's just Iran. he's done the same with every damn thing from climate change to trade to relations with every country around the globe.

We can be justifiably beaten over the head with reneging on the JCPOA for years to come. How does another president even try to convince anyone that it can't happen again. Millions of American voters have proven they are willing to burn everything to the ground without any concern for the consequences. They did it once, they will do it again, and everyone knows it now. The US has no credibility, Trump voters have pissed it all away on a whim and mostly imaginary grievances sponsored by the Republican Party and Fox "news".

/rant over, with my apologies.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:36 pm

US softens its stance on China's Huawei, Google can now licence Android again
Earlier, Huawei's CEO had warned that without Huawei, Google will lose 700-800 million users
BusinessToday.In Last Updated: July 1, 2019 | 14:16 IST

A warning from Huawei CEO has worked for the embattled Chinese company as US President Donald Trump has apparently relented and has moderated his hard stance on Huawei. The moderation comes after Huawei's CEO declared that without Huawei, Google will lose 700-800 million users.

"[Huawei] will always be on the same line of interest, and if we don't load Google's system, Google will lose 700-800 million users in the future," Ren Zhengfei said in an interview to CNBC.

After months of uncertainty for the Chinese technology company, Trump announced that "American companies will continue" to do business with the beleaguered telecom giant. The announcement was made in a press conference at the G20 Conference.

"US companies can sell their equipment to Huawei. We're talking about equipment where there's no great national security problem with it," the US President said.

https://www.businesstoday.in/technology ... 60313.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 pm

CGTN wrote:Fewer Chinese tourists visiting United States

Published on 4 Jun 2019

The ongoing tensions between Beijing and Washington seem to be hurting America's tourism industry. New data reveals that the number of Chinese tourists to visit the U.S. last year fell by more than five percent to just under three, the first year-on-year drop since 2003.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 am
Political Wire
Trump Slaps Tariffs on Solar Panels

“In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels,” Time reports.

“The U.S. will impose duties of as much as 30 percent on solar equipment made abroad, a move that threatens to handicap a $28 billion industry that relies on parts made abroad for 80 percent of its supply.”
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

did I already say :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am

You're going to hurt your head, honeybunch :bighug:
RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

did I already say :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am

Two companies petitioned for Trump’s solar tariffs—now they’re both out of business
By Michael J. CorenJune 18, 2019

Two companies begged the US government to raise tariffs on imported solar panels in 2017. “Stop the bleeding,” implored panel maker Suniva in its petition (pdf) to the US International Trade Commission (ITC), joined by a second manufacturer, SolarWorld. Domestic solar panel manufacturers, they argued, needed import taxes to “grow and thrive.” These tariffs, Suniva insisted, would generate at least 114,800 new jobs in the US.

They got their wish. The US trade commission ruled in 2017 that domestic solar manufacturers had been harmed by cheap imports. The next year, the Trump Administration slapped a 30% tax on imported solar cells and panels (also known as modules).

Today, both firms out of business. SolarWorld Americas, actually a US subsidiary of a German company, was bought out of bankruptcy by SunPower in October. Chinese-owned Suniva filed for bankruptcy this month. The company told a judge it plans to exit the solar panel business as soon as it offloads its inventory of panels stockpiled in warehouses.
:snippity:

Many of Nicolaou’s concerns have come to pass. Solar installations stalled after peaking at more than 14 gigawatts (GW) of power added in 2016, according to energy research firm Wood Mackenzie. The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) estimates that nearly $8 billion in new solar investments capable of generating 7 GW were lost because of the tariffs, along with the loss of 9,000 jobs due to layoffs or hiring freezes, far less than the expected increase in manufacturing jobs. Only about 2,000 (pdf) of the 260,000 solar jobs in the US are in cell and module manufacturing; the rest involve supply chain equipment, installation, and other services.

https://qz.com/1644846/two-companies-th ... -business/

and of course the alu and steel tariffs had also some minor side effects:
After the import taxes took effect, steel and aluminum duties sliced 20% off ... cash flow, and nearly a quarter of its solar projects were delayed or canceled. “
and still no jobs in the US
Solar manufacturers outside the US (accounting for 98% of global production) are getting back on track by cutting prices and moving factories to countries unaffected by tariffs primarily aimed at China, such as Mexico and the Philippines.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 am
Political Wire
Trump Slaps Tariffs on Solar Panels

“In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels,” Time reports.
:snippity:
NOTE: This quote by Political Wire refers back to a Time article from January 2018 - old news (not even fake news ;) )

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:42 am

What do we need solar for anyway, there's coal miners who need work out there, cough, cough. And more importantly, Coal Companies that need to start paying for campaign contributions!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:37 am

Bloomberg
U.S. Slaps Import Duties of More Than 400% on Vietnam Steel

The U.S. Commerce Department imposed duties of more than 400% on steel imports from Vietnam, accusing some businesses of shipping products from the Southeast Asian nation to evade the levies in a further escalation of tension between the two trading partners.

In three preliminary circumvention rulings on Vietnamese steel, the Commerce Department said certain products produced in South Korea and Taiwan were shipped to Vietnam for minor processing before being exported to U.S. as corrosion-resistant steel products and cold-rolled steel. Customs officials have been ordered to collect cash deposits at rates as high as 456.23% on imports of the steel products produced in Vietnam using material from South Korea and Taiwan.

The U.S. is hardening its rhetoric against Vietnam, one of its major trading partners and an economy that’s benefiting from President Donald Trump’s trade war with China. Trump described Vietnam last week as “almost the single-worst abuser of everybody” when asked if he wanted to impose tariffs on the nation. ...

It’s not surprising companies will try to route products through countries such as Vietnam to dodge higher duties, said Rob Carnell, Asia Pacific chief economist at ING Bank.

“It’s a no-brainer,” he said. “You increase the cost and people are going to try and find a way to avoid it. It’s human nature.”

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:26 pm

“It’s a no-brainer,” he said. “You increase the cost and people are going to try and find a way to avoid it. It’s human nature.”
Which is why Trump's trade war is doomed to failure.

The only logical conclusion is that we enact tarrifs on ALL imported goods from every country.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 pm

CNBC
Trump threatened Hanoi on trade, but Vietnam just teamed up with the EU on a big new deal

Vietnam and the European Union on Sunday inked a first-of-its-kind trade deal that will eliminate 99% of tariffs on goods imported from the Asian developing nation to the bloc.

As the ongoing U.S.-China tariff battle upends global trade, many countries are worried about suffering ill effects. The EU-Vietnam deal demonstrates, however, that Hanoi is poised to come out of the era as one of the great beneficiaries.

And even though U.S. President Donald Trump suggested recently that Vietnam could be his next major tariffs target, the new deal is likely to provide economic cushion for the Southeast Asian nation. In fact, the European Union described the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement as “the most ambitious free trade deal ever concluded with a developing country.”

“From Vietnam’s perspective, enhanced access to the EU market could not come quickly enough,” said Brian Harding, deputy director and fellow at the Southeast Asia Program of think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Vietnam is currently the EU’s 16th largest trade partner the trading bloc’s second-largest trading partner among Southeast Asian countries, according to the European Commission. In 2018, the country exported $42.5 billion worth of goods and services to the EU. The value of imports from the region reached $13.8 billion, official data shows.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Noice...I am finally watching the Ken Burns Viet Nam documentary...Compared to what the Viets overcame then, I think they will deal with Drumpf's bluster and tariffs just fine...

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:26 pm

CGTN wrote:Beijing says tariffs must be removed for trade deal
Published on 4 Jul 2019

The Chinese commerce ministry said Thursday that existing U.S. tariffs would have to be removed if there is to be a trade deal between Beijing and Washington. The ministry said that trade teams from both countries are in communications. That's after the U.S. Trade Representative said Wednesday that the two countries were in the process of scheduling a principal-level phone call for next week.

Return to “Trump Administration”