Information Warfare: Fake News, "Very Fake News", Tweets, Sites and Remedies

DejaMoo

Re: Information Warfare: Fake News, Tweets, Sites, Personalities and Remedies

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:51 am

Lani wrote:The Post got a lot of complaints about the original title. I'm glad it was changed.

The women searching for the hidden tunnels one night are interesting.
“All of this is an underground tunnel that helps take the kids and transport them back and forth so they can can do these rituals,” said one of them. “They are putting a lot of curses and spells over the city. They are kidnapping the children who are missing. They were never missing because D.C. know where they are.”
And, of course, this goes all the way back to the Satanic Panic/ritual child sex abuse hysteria of the 1980s, and in particular the supposed Project Monarch/MKULTRA conspiracy theory that had a pedophile ring in the White House. Ironically, back then, many of us following and discussing those issues saw the public and media gullibility regarding those tall tales as a warning that such conspiratorial thinking could end up infesting politics even at the highest level. Others weren't as concerned, deeming those of us who feared it might happen as being nearly as crazy as the conspiracy believers we were observing.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. What many people foresaw back then has come to pass. We are now led by the mentally ill and delusional.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:07 am

Incidentally, one pervasive belief on both the left and the right is that both sides have been infiltrated by people who are being paid to wreak havoc and commit crimes in order to discredit their movements. I just had a fierce argument with a coworker over this one. She's got a sister in North Dakota, who says "everyone knows" that all the non-Native American demonstrators at Standing Rock have been paid to go out there and disrupt things, up to and including acts of terrorism. They don't accuse government agents of instigating this. No, it's always some shadowy "them", a group or individual who is providing the funds and encouraging criminal acts to further their own interests.

As I pointed out to her, any individual or organization that actually recruited and paid people to commit criminal acts would then be part of a conspiracy and can expect to be charged as such. Plus, they can also expect their low-level stooges to inform on their employers in exchange for a reduced sentence. There's no way "they" could expect to get away with this without being exposed and probably charged.

I then told her how it actually works, as we've seen over and over again with the various nutjobs we've followed on TFB: grifting/fundraising via social media. These drifting troublemakers aren't being funded by some powerful interest group, they're getting donations by like-minded fools and well-meaning individuals whom they defraud, mislead, and/or take advantage of. It's not organized in the sinister, conspiratorial sense these people believe. It's folks like them, who believe that by donating, they're supporting a brave person engaged in a noble cause.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am

Veterans Today is a major participant in spreading the word about the Satanic Pedophile Cabal. If you dare to visit, see http: //www.veteranstoday.com/2016/12/04/ satanic-pedophile-cabals-iron-grip-of-evil/ after repairing the breaks I inserted.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. What many people foresaw back then has come to pass. We are now led by the mentally ill and delusional.
Back then, we were called buzz-killing, delusional Cassandras for pointing it out, too. It's infuriating, dejamoo, innit, to know there was a point at which this all could have been re-directed.

I must admit, I never thought it would lead to the election of someone like the Shitgibbon.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:51 pm

DejaMoo wrote: :snippity:

I then told her how it actually works, as we've seen over and over again with the various nutjobs we've followed on TFB: grifting/fundraising via social media. These drifting troublemakers aren't being funded by some powerful interest group, they're getting donations by like-minded fools and well-meaning individuals whom they defraud, mislead, and/or take advantage of. It's not organized in the sinister, conspiratorial sense these people believe. It's folks like them, who believe that by donating, they're supporting a brave person engaged in a noble cause.
:yeah: As usual, well said Deja (not just the unsnipped part, I wanted to keep the entry short)

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Veterans Today is a major participant in spreading the word about the Satanic Pedophile Cabal. If you dare to visit, see http: //www.veteranstoday.com/2016/12/04/ satanic-pedophile-cabals-iron-grip-of-evil/ after repairing the breaks I inserted.
Yeah, Veterans Today is one of the major conspiracy-promulgating kook sites. They've earned the attention of the ADL and the SPLC due to their consistent anti-semitism (Gordon Duff, the guy who runs it, is one of those who believe the Joos are behind everything).

Smartest thing Duff ever did was to coming up with such a respectable-sounding name. It's a very effective way to suck in the unsuspecting.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:08 pm

I had a big premonition years ago when I first heard about girls with eating disorders forming communities online to support each other in starving themselves./ Thats when I realised that people with serious mental disorders could use the internet to validate each other and to help themselves resist treatment. TO avoid that you have to acknowledge that there is something wrong with you, but if you have a bunch of people convinced the world is wrong and they have backup from people around the world validating themselves, then that makes it doublly hard and people will rapidly become far worse.

I never imagined it would get this bad though.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Loren

Post by Loren » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Joel Gilbert was on Alex Jones today, with a slew of new claims about Obama:

- He claims Obama's high school buddy Keith Kakugawa, aka "Ray", has told him all sorts of stories that 'confirm' that Obama was Frank Davis' son. It's clear he's been in touch with Keith (there's a photo of the two of them together, and of an envelope from Keith), but given how Gilbert has misrepresented what people have told him before, his failure to actually show the letters or claim to quote Keith leaves room for doubt. (Also, remember, Keith is now a convicted felon who isn't on the best terms with Obama, and has supposedly threatened to tell negative stories about him in the past.)

- He claims Obama and Frank visited Club Hubba Hubba in Honolulu for sex parties, when it was run by Honey Harlow, who he claims was also in the nude pictures with the woman he claims is Ann Dunham. Not only does Honey look absolutely NOTHING like the woman in the photos, but I'm pretty sure this timeline doesn't hold up.

- He shows copies of two Hawaiian birth certificates from 1961 where the father is listed as 'Negro'. Whoop-de-friggin-doo.

- He says that Peter Geithner told him that Obama had a Ford Foundation scholarship, which should've been illegal, but...honestly I don't remember the overall point here. Something about studying abroad when Obama says he was at Columbia. I was more struck by how he supposedly got a huge scoop from Peter Geithner, and then unnecessarily sat on it until four months after Geithner died, so no one could check with Peter.

The Keith stuff is at least interesting in that it supposedly comes from someone with an established relationship with Obama, but the specifics of the stories Gilbert relates are incredibly specious. Much as in his movie, at one point it seems to involve Keith having detailed knowledge of a conversation he wasn't privy to.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Wow, I'm so glad I've decided to come out of my self imposed blackout of all things American Politics and right wing nut jobbery. Back to not giving a shite for a few more weeks, maybe sanity will prevail by then.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:11 pm

It's like they woke up one day and said to themselves "Reality really does seem to have a liberal bias. Hmm... can't allow that. Time to discredit and abandon reality!"

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 pm

P.K. wrote:
bob wrote:
The entirety of his film acting "career":
The Bleeding 2009 Raver / victim
Seven years ago, he was once an extra in a horror film. :roll:
Do they have any idea how many actors (or "actors") there are in this country? In Los Angeles you can't shake a stick without smacking someone who has their SAG-AFTRA card!

There was a murder case a few years ago where the perp was consistently described as an actor. The guy had only ever done like two shows at an Orange County community theatre, but the headlines still screamed "Actor arrested for double murder!"
And then there is the law enforcement speak, when they describe "actors", and that gets taken literally, held up as "proof" that some event was staged. I think it happened during the reporting on Sandy Hook.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:26 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:One person who thinks this ius credible said to me "Have you read the Podesta emails?"

I can't be bothered. What I know about the story is that Podesta wrote about meetings and having pizza at Comet and people claimed certain words were codes for child sex, even though they're really not.

That' about sums it up, right?
Yes, and it is incredibly simple to come in after the fact and insert translations where convenient. They're also doing this to "interpret" the photos that have artwork in the background.

Some time before the election, there was a discussion on the "Keepin' it 1600" podcast about the emails, particularly the ones about requesting oversampling on their internal polls, the majority of these communications are just campaign people talking abut mundane day-to-day stuff. But when put out for general consumption by people who don't have experience working on large campaigns, it doesn't take much to make it appear like they are discussing something nefarious.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:34 pm

bob wrote:
The entirety of his film acting "career":
The Bleeding 2009 Raver / victim
Seven years ago, he was once an extra in a horror film. :roll:
I found more - if this is the same person
Actor (2 credits)
The Bleeding 2009 - Raver / victim
Something About Pizza (Short) 2005 - The Gunman
Writer (1 credit)
Art department (1 credit)
Edgar Maddison Welch
Actor | Miscellaneous Crew | Writer
Edgar Maddison Welch is known for his work on Mute (2011), The Mill (2008) and The Bleeding (2009). See full bio »
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2625901/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Something About Pizza (2005)
7min | Short, Comedy | 21 February 2006 (Luxembourg)
Edgar Maddison Welch ... The Gunman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808473/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Lazaro Ecenarro shared Ryan Raetz's post.
Ryan Raetz‎ to Pedosta's Ping Pong Pizza Pool Party
6 hrs ·
The shooter was in a movie call "Something about pizza". They are messing with us.

[link to http://www.imdb.com]

Full Cast & Crew

Celine Reichel...Sister
Alain Schumann...Brother
Patrick Védie...The pizza deliverer
Edgar Maddison Welch...The Gunman

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 pm

Dolly wrote: :snippity:
Lazaro Ecenarro shared Ryan Raetz's post.
Ryan Raetz‎ to Pedosta's Ping Pong Pizza Pool Party
6 hrs ·
The shooter was in a movie call "Something about pizza". They are messing with us.

[link to http://www.imdb.com]

Full Cast & Crew

Celine Reichel...Sister
Alain Schumann...Brother
Patrick Védie...The pizza deliverer
Edgar Maddison Welch...The Gunman

:yikes:

:crazy:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

bob

Post by bob » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:50 pm

Dolly wrote:Something About Pizza (Short) 2005 - The Gunman
I would swear that was not listed yesterday. (IMDB is editable.)

Too, also: "Something about Pizza" was filmed in Luxembourg. For 100 Euros (est.).

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:59 am

IMDB is editable like Wiki is, by anyone. I would not be surprised if shit is being added to it to bump up his resume. It used to happen every time Palin made some gaffe that there would be a war on the wiki page of the gaffe to alter it to what Palin said.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Suranis wrote:I had a big premonition years ago when I first heard about girls with eating disorders forming communities online to support each other in starving themselves./ Thats when I realised that people with serious mental disorders could use the internet to validate each other and to help themselves resist treatment. TO avoid that you have to acknowledge that there is something wrong with you, but if you have a bunch of people convinced the world is wrong and they have backup from people around the world validating themselves, then that makes it doublly hard and people will rapidly become far worse.

I never imagined it would get this bad though.
I've been saying for years that the internet is the best thing that ever happened to schizophrenics. It enables them to share their paranoid delusions with an exponentially larger audience - and the bigger the audience, the more other mentally ill/gullible people will get their message and believe it. Then, as you noted, they find support in numbers, and in fact use their organizing into groups as another argument that their delusion is true! - because look at all these people who believe it!

Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data.

There's a great site that covers a lot of this, called The Psychology of Conspiracy Theories. https://conspiracypsychology.com/
One recent piece of research noted on the site has determined that exposure to conspiracy theories leads to increased distrust of the government, and that effect persists for at least a while after the initial exposure. IOW, propaganda works. What we're seeing now is something we've not had much past experience with: propaganda being used by our own citizens to undermine our own governments and institutions. We have met the enemy, and they are us.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:21 am

DejaMoo wrote:I then told her how it actually works, as we've seen over and over again with the various nutjobs we've followed on TFB: grifting/fundraising via social media. These drifting troublemakers aren't being funded by some powerful interest group, they're getting donations by like-minded fools and well-meaning individuals whom they defraud, mislead, and/or take advantage of. It's not organized in the sinister, conspiratorial sense these people believe. It's folks like them, who believe that by donating, they're supporting a brave person engaged in a noble cause.
Well said!

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Great Facebook post by Jim Wright

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:52 am

Stephen Colbert: Pizzagate Is An Alt-Right Fever Dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfXWXNItF_Y

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:35 am

I recently spent some time researching international far right social media. Learned lots of new dog whistles! Hope to recover soon.... Merkel is the next big target, so I'm glad to see this, although I doubt it will be of much help.

GERMAN POLITICIANS CALL FOR FAKE NEWS CRACKDOWN PRE-ELECTION
http://www.newsweek.com/german-election ... spd-531261
German politicians from across the parties are calling for more powers to crack down on fake news, amid fears of interference in an upcoming election.

False and often conspiratorial news stories disseminated via Facebook were a significant feature of the U.S. presidential election, and have been blamed by some Hillary Clinton supporters for turning voters against her.

Ahead of Germany’s own federal election next year, politicians from Chancellor Angela Merkel’s CDU/CSU union have called for tougher criminal penalties to be imposed on those who make and spread fake news.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:53 pm

FBI Agents Prepare To Counter CIA Coup Against Trump
Posted on December 12, 2016 by Sean Adl-Tabatabai in News, US

FBI agents have had their holiday leave cancelled amid fears of an attempted coup by the CIA to overthrow President-elect Donald Trump.

According to reports, all 35,000 agents are on standby to stop a bid by the Central Intelligence Agency from overthrowing the democratically elected president of the United States.

The FBI have relocated most of its SWAT teams to the MacDill Air Force Base in Florida where they have been placed under a joint command structure with the US Militaries Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).

The move comes after President Obama told U.S. soldiers during a briefing at the MacDill Air Force Base on the 6th December to openly ignore Donald Trump and “question his authority” when he becomes President. This was tantamount to initiating a coup d’etat against the incoming administration. <SNIP>
http://yournewswire.com/fbi-counter-cia ... nst-trump/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 am

Facebook announced more it's doing about fake news and fake news sites are already trying to discredit it. FB wants to get the word out so here's the full post, it's with some images at http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2016/12/new ... fake-news/
December 15, 2016
News Feed FYI: Addressing Hoaxes and Fake News

By Adam Mosseri, VP, News Feed

A few weeks ago we previewed some of the things we’re working on to address the issue of fake news and hoaxes. We’re committed to doing our part and today we’d like to share some updates we’re testing and starting to roll out.

We believe in giving people a voice and that we cannot become arbiters of truth ourselves, so we’re approaching this problem carefully. We’ve focused our efforts on the worst of the worst, on the clear hoaxes spread by spammers for their own gain, and on engaging both our community and third party organizations.

The work falls into the following four areas. These are just some of the first steps we’re taking to improve the experience for people on Facebook. We’ll learn from these tests, and iterate and extend them over time.

Easier Reporting
We’re testing several ways to make it easier to report a hoax if you see one on Facebook, which you can do by clicking the upper right hand corner of a post. We’ve relied heavily on our community for help on this issue, and this can help us detect more fake news.

Flagging Stories as Disputed
We believe providing more context can help people decide for themselves what to trust and what to share. We’ve started a program to work with third-party fact checking organizations that are signatories of Poynter’s International Fact Checking Code of Principles. We’ll use the reports from our community, along with other signals, to send stories to these organizations. If the fact checking organizations identify a story as fake, it will get flagged as disputed and there will be a link to the corresponding article explaining why. Stories that have been disputed may also appear lower in News Feed.

It will still be possible to share these stories, but you will see a warning that the story has been disputed as you share.

Once a story is flagged, it can’t be made into an ad and promoted, either.

Informed Sharing
We’re always looking to improve News Feed by listening to what the community is telling us. We’ve found that if reading an article makes people significantly less likely to share it, that may be a sign that a story has misled people in some way. We’re going to test incorporating this signal into ranking, specifically for articles that are outliers, where people who read the article are significantly less likely to share it.

Disrupting Financial Incentives for Spammers
We’ve found that a lot of fake news is financially motivated. Spammers make money by masquerading as well-known news organizations, and posting hoaxes that get people to visit to their sites, which are often mostly ads. So we’re doing several things to reduce the financial incentives. On the buying side we’ve eliminated the ability to spoof domains, which will reduce the prevalence of sites that pretend to be real publications. On the publisher side, we are analyzing publisher sites to detect where policy enforcement actions might be necessary.

It’s important to us that the stories you see on Facebook are authentic and meaningful. We’re excited about this progress, but we know there’s more to be done. We’re going to keep working on this problem for as long as it takes to get it right.
Here's a link to Poynter’s International Fact Checking Code of Principle and the signatories, with FB doing this they posted
In light of Facebook’s decision that being a signatory to this code is a minimum condition for being accepted as a third-party fact-checker on the social network in its U.S.-based pilot project, we are currently rethinking the application and compliance process. Due to our limited staff, we won’t be adding new signatories until the new process is concluded in the coming weeks. (More about that in this Q&A)
http://www.poynter.org/fact-checkers-co ... rinciples/

The Q&A:
Facebook has a plan to fight fake news. Here’s where we come in
By Benjamin Mullin and Alexios Mantzarlis • December 15, 2016

Facebook announced today that it is taking several steps to reduce the reach of fake news. One of the initiatives announced by the social network, third-party fact-checking, will allow verified fact-checkers in the United States to review stories to determine if they are true or false. If enough fact checkers mark a story as fake, the post will be marked as such in users' News Feeds.

The company will rely on the code of principles developed by the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN), an alliance of fact-checkers hosted by Poynter, as one prerequisite to determine whether to verify fact-checkers on its platform. Below is a question-and-answer with Alexios Mantzarlis, the director of the IFCN, which is hosted by Poynter.

So does the IFCN have final say over who gets to be a third-party fact-checker on Facebook? No! Facebook has decided that being a signatory to the IFCN code of principles is a "minimum condition" to be verified as a fact-checker on the platform. We are only involved to the extent that Facebook relies on the list of signatories to our code of principles as a starting point for the organizations it chooses to verify. Facebook is the only organization certifying third-party fact-checkers on its platform. The IFCN itself is not a fact-checking organization and therefore is not a third-party fact-checker.
Do you think the steps announced by Facebook will be effective?

The International Fact-Checking Network is one of several voices that advocated for Facebook to do something about the visibility of entirely fabricated news designed to fool users into believing them. Last month, 20 fact-checking initiatives wrote an open letter to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg asking him to cast a wide net in seeking solutions to the problem. It is commendable that the company has chosen to address this challenge, even if only in the United States for now. It is impossible to know at this stage whether the strategies announced will actually be effective. Facebook has said it will continue to iterate on the basis of what they learn. Fact-checkers — both the ones involved in this initial phase and others around the world — will no doubt continue following the situation critically.
More at http://www.poynter.org/2016/facebook-ha ... in/442649/

Link to the letter from the 20 fact checkers: https://www.poynter.org/2016/an-open-le ... rs/439586/
Signatories
Africa Check | Agência Lupa | Agência Pública - Truco | Aos Fatos | Colombiacheck | Chequeado | Doğruluk Payı | El Objetivo | FactCheck.org | FactCheckNI | Full Fact | Istinomer | Istinomjer | Observador | OjoPúblico | Pagella Politica | PolitiFact | |South Asia Check | TheJournal.ie FactCheck | The Washington Post Fact Checker

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:59 am

Dolly wrote:
:snippity:
The FBI have relocated most of its SWAT teams to the MacDill Air Force Base in Florida where they have been placed under a joint command structure with the US Militaries Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).
:snippity:
http://yournewswire.com/fbi-counter-cia ... nst-trump/
Wow -- even the FBI would not be so stupid as to concentrate their staff in one place where the CIA with its weaponized drones could take them out in a minute. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:34 am

I don't remember there being a great outraged uproar when Eitan Gorlin and Dan Mirvish created "Martin Eisenstadt" of the "Harding Institute".

Back then, hoaxes was funny.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

Return to “Media & Social Media”