Information Warfare: Fake News, "Very Fake News", Tweets, Sites and Remedies

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Re: Information Warfare: Fake News, Tweets, Sites, Personalities and Remedies

Post by Lunaluz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:22 pm

I posted it because it is apparently a thing.. I hope it dies a quick death.. but this is the caliber of what we have to deal with.. I can't just pretend it is not out there. I find it vile. #pizzagate

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Re pizzagate, there are at least three articles from reputable sites dealing with the subject, not that the loonies will care one bit about reputable sites -

New York Times - Fake News Onslaught Targets Pizzeria as Nest of Child-Trafficking

Washington Post - ‘Pizzagate’ shows how fake news hurts real people

Snopes - Chuck E. Sleaze

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:17 pm

That's buttersamillion-level bizarre.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 pm

foilwatcher wrote:Kellogg's pulled their ads from Breitbart.com and this is now trending on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hashtag/BreitbartCereals?src=hash Best laugh I've had all day :rotflmao:
Breitbart is having a regular hissy fit about Kelloggs. Their web page has no less than 14 links to separate stories about how bad Kellogg's is or how wrong they are or how great the #DumpKelloggs campaign is doing. :roll:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:33 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
foilwatcher wrote:Kellogg's pulled their ads from Breitbart.com and this is now trending on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hashtag/BreitbartCereals?src=hash Best laugh I've had all day :rotflmao:
Breitbart is having a regular hissy fit about Kelloggs. Their web page has no less than 14 links to separate stories about how bad Kellogg's is or how wrong they are or how great the #DumpKelloggs campaign is doing. :roll:
True to form, they picked the absolute WORST time to try to boycott Kellogs, what with Chex mix season just starting and all.
(Picked up my 6 boxes yesterday for the first batch.)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:35 pm

I see a purchase of cornflakes in my future...

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:09 am

I generally don't eat cereal but I think Kellogg's has earned my purchase.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:20 am

I think I'll have to find a nice recipe for corn & rice chex mixtures with salted peanuts & pretzel sticks.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:27 am

Kellogg's Rice Krispies! I'm a champion at Rice Krispie Bars.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:29 am

If you crush up cornflakes and dunk Icecream in it, then put it in a deep fat fryer for a few seconds, it forms a delicious crust

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 am

Lani wrote:I think I'll have to find a nice recipe for corn & rice chex mixtures with salted peanuts & pretzel sticks.
Recipe? We don't need no stinking recipe!
Chex cereal, any (or all) flavor(s).
Butter
seasonings
Worcestershire and/or Crystal
stone-ground mustard
pretzel sticks
pita chips
croutons
Cheez-its
sesame sticks
peanuts (any nuts work)

Melt the butter and your chosen seasonings, add the crunchy stuff, stick it in an over and stir it every 15 mins or so for a while. Mix it up a couple more times while it's cooling. Put in ziplocks. Do this in a HUGE honking pan or the stirring part will get tricky. You really have to scoop the wet, flavorful bits from the bottom of the pan to incorporate it in well. I have 2 huge flat bamboo paddle things I use for mine.

Come to think of it, that's the only thing I've ever used those particular utensils for.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:01 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Come to think of it, that's the only thing I've ever used those particular utensils for.
:rotflmao:

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 am

One on the panel is Jerry DeLemus's wife, or ex or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQIz1RvrfCQ

bob

Post by bob » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 am

So: Kellogg boycotting Breitbart is un-American; Britbart readers boycotting Target is totes American.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 pm

RVInit wrote:I generally don't eat cereal but I think Kellogg's has earned my purchase.
I adore the Special K with Red Berries. I'll have to buy an extra couple of boxes.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:50 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
RVInit wrote:I generally don't eat cereal but I think Kellogg's has earned my purchase.
I adore the Special K with Red Berries. I'll have to buy an extra couple of boxes.
Ah, that does sound pretty good. I may have to try that one.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:28 pm

RVInit wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:
Ah, that does sound pretty good. I may have to try that one.
A few years ago when I was deeply depressed that was the only thing that tasted good to me*. It's still my favorite comfort food.

*And that's completely unlike me. I'm more likely to eat when depressed/upset/angry than not.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Remember, a lot of folks also get their "news" from youtube:
Trump is Illuminati:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... illuminati
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:33 am

I have not followed this thread closely, so I hope not already posted:
The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

By BBC Trending What's popular and why
2 December 2016

No victim has come forward. There's no investigation. And physical evidence? That doesn't exist either.

But thousands of people are convinced that a paedophilia ring involving people at the highest levels of the Democratic Party is operating out of a Washington pizza restaurant.

The story riveted fringes of Twitter - nearly a million messages were sent last month using the term "pizzagate".

So how did this fake story take hold amongst alt-right Trump supporters and other Hillary Clinton opponents?

Let's start with the facts.

In early November, as Wikileaks steadily released piles of emails from Clinton's campaign chairman John Podesta, one contact caught the attention of prankster sites and people on the paranoid fringes.

James Alefantis is the owner of Comet Ping Pong, a pizza restaurant in Washington. He's also a big Democratic Party supporter and raised money for both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. He was once in a relationship with David Brock, an influential liberal operative.

Alefantis - who's never met Clinton - appeared in the Podesta emails in connection with the fundraisers.

And from these thin threads, an enormous trove of conspiracy fiction was spun.

Users of 4chan, a message board known for free speech, extreme content and trollish behaviour, began posting speculation and supposed connections gleaned from internet searches. They trawled Alefantis' Instagram feed for pictures of children and the modern art which lines his restaurant's walls, and dreamt up a paedophile sex ring involving prominent politicians and political donors.

Soon there were protesters outside of Comet Ping Pong. Alefantis even invited some of them in - they filmed the encounter and put it on YouTube.
"They ignore basic truths," Alefantis tells BBC Trending. For instance, the conspiracy supposedly is run out of the restaurant's basement. "We don't even have a basement."

"Sometimes an innocent picture of a child in a basket is just an innocent picture of a child in a basket and not proof of a child sex trafficking ring," he says.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985

Jocelyn9596

Post by Jocelyn9596 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm

esseff44 wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:That's buttersamillion-level bizarre.
Trump's pick for National Security Adviser, Gen. Michael Flynn has repeatedly been on Twitter warning of Pizzagate and c/o the lack of coverage by the MSM along with the other alleged scandals being pushed by Infowars. Not only does our ignorant P.E. gets his news from this conspiracy theory website but so does the NSA. :brickwallsmall:
twitterimage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:41 pm

deleted

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:20 pm

RTH10260 wrote:I have not followed this thread closely, so I hope not already posted:
The saga of 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

By BBC Trending What's popular and why
2 December 2016

No victim has come forward. There's no investigation. And physical evidence? That doesn't exist either.

But thousands of people are convinced that a paedophilia ring involving people at the highest levels of the Democratic Party is operating out of a Washington pizza restaurant.

The story riveted fringes of Twitter - nearly a million messages were sent last month using the term "pizzagate".

So how did this fake story take hold amongst alt-right Trump supporters and other Hillary Clinton opponents?

Let's start with the facts.

In early November, as Wikileaks steadily released piles of emails from Clinton's campaign chairman John Podesta, one contact caught the attention of prankster sites and people on the paranoid fringes.

James Alefantis is the owner of Comet Ping Pong, a pizza restaurant in Washington. He's also a big Democratic Party supporter and raised money for both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. He was once in a relationship with David Brock, an influential liberal operative.

Alefantis - who's never met Clinton - appeared in the Podesta emails in connection with the fundraisers.

And from these thin threads, an enormous trove of conspiracy fiction was spun.

Users of 4chan, a message board known for free speech, extreme content and trollish behaviour, began posting speculation and supposed connections gleaned from internet searches. They trawled Alefantis' Instagram feed for pictures of children and the modern art which lines his restaurant's walls, and dreamt up a paedophile sex ring involving prominent politicians and political donors.

Soon there were protesters outside of Comet Ping Pong. Alefantis even invited some of them in - they filmed the encounter and put it on YouTube.
"They ignore basic truths," Alefantis tells BBC Trending. For instance, the conspiracy supposedly is run out of the restaurant's basement. "We don't even have a basement."

"Sometimes an innocent picture of a child in a basket is just an innocent picture of a child in a basket and not proof of a child sex trafficking ring," he says.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985
Then, today, this happened:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/loc ... eb27d3c3f6
Police Chief Peter Newsham said a lone suspect in his late-20s walked into the front door of Comet Ping Pong with an assault rifle. Newsham said it appeared as if the suspect may have fired one or multiple shots into the ground after the employees and patrons had left. The man, who police say was from Salisbury, North Carolina, has not yet been identified and his motives were not clear.

“We do have employees and guests of the restaurant who, of course, were extremely frightened by this incident,” Newsham said. “At this point we do not believe that it was terrorist related. And it’s unclear right now what the motive is.”

But Comet Ping Pong, a pizza restaurant on Connecticut Avenue with ping-pong tables that is popular with families, has been caught up in a wave of conspiracy theories and fake-news stories that spread during the presidential campaign that have prompted death threats to the restaurant and nearby businesses.

The restaurant’s owner and employees were threatened on social media in the days before the election, the New York Times reported, after fake news stories circulated claiming that then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her campaign chief were running a child sex ring from the restaurant’s back rooms. Even Michael Flynn, a retired general who President-elect Trump has tapped to advise him on national security, shared the stories. None of them were true. But the fake stories and threats persisted, some even aimed at the employees’ children. The restaurant’s owner was forced to contact the FBI, local police, Facebook and other social media platforms in an effort to remove the articles.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Today a man from North Carolina burst into Comet Pizza, armed and fired a shot. He was there to "self investigate" pizza gate. I'm just thankful nobody was killed.

Naturally twitter is full of idiots claiming this is a false flag trying to deflect attention away from what is happening at Comet Pizza which as far as anyone sane can see is the selling of Pizza.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:12 pm

C3A639FB-F10A-408A-9915-9813B7980090.jpg
Edgar Maddison Welch, named by the DC police as the #PizzaGate psycho who fired a gun in a restaurant. https://archive.is/WgdOF

I hate to stereotype but let's just say I'm not surprised by his appearance.
IMG_3502.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 am

A gratuitous Dunning-Kruger reference...

https://youtu.be/wvVPdyYeaQU

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Return to “Media & Social Media”