"The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

Slim Cognito

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." 2016 thread

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 am

It's a start.

New York Times editor on Trump: “We will call out lies”
http://qz.com/784533/new-york-times-edi ... -out-lies/

ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 am

The NY Times is salty chocolate ... oh, wait ... :mrgreen:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks for changing the Subject.

This is a good assessment of how the media will grade the first debate and give it to Trump as a big win no matter what. They can't help it. It's about entertainment value. Trump will beat his chest, lie, boast, trumpet his favorite lines, outrage the liberals, throw red meat to his base, etc. There's no way a normal candidate like Hillary can top that as far as entertainment and quotability. Trump will instinctively aim at the basic territorial impulses and emotions. Hillary will be her steady, calm, rational, knowledgeable self. Trump wins.

Trump Wins First Debate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kap ... s_politics

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Cable news really came of age during the 'oh no Timmy has fallen down the well' escapade in Texas, so many years ago I had almost forgotten about it. Thousands tuned in and stayed breathlessly tuned as the poor child ( a girl, I9RC) was rescued.

They've never gotten away from the oh no, Timmy! phase. It works well for their revenue stream. I'm convinced it can be rehabilitated, but not in today's climate, not with today's ownership.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:36 pm

kate520 wrote:Cable news really came of age during the 'oh no Timmy has fallen down the well' escapade in Texas, so many years ago I had almost forgotten about it. Thousands tuned in and stayed breathlessly tuned as the poor child ( a girl, I9RC) was rescued.
Baby Jessica.

Image Image Image Image Image

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:50 pm

esseff44 wrote:Trump will beat his chest, lie, boast, trumpet his favorite lines, outrage the liberals, throw red meat to his base, etc. There's no way a normal candidate like Hillary can top that as far as entertainment and quotability.
Wow, I never disagree with esseff usually. But this time for sure.

There IS a way Hillary can top that, which I have described several times. That is, she has to LAUGH. And MOCK. And BELITTLE, in a humorous way.

Did anyone forget what an unscripted, spontaneous, uproarious laugh by Hillz looks like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJqMgWHyk80

THAT'S WHAT SHE NEEDS TO DO TO DONALD. THAT'S THE ONE THING HE ABSOLUTELY CAN. NOT. STAND.

She needs to enrage the elephant.

Start slow. The first time he makes a mini-speech, laugh politely and say, "Wow, there are too many lies to answer them all. How does he do that?"

Then step it up. Slowly. Giggle a few times -- it's OK, many of us already know that you're a female, and females get to giggle now and then.

Then start laughing in the middle of his answers. Doesn't even have to be loud enough to interrupt him. Just make faces like you're laughing your damn ass off over what an idiot he is.

And use hilarious one-liners. Little short ones -- "Can y'all see his nose getting bigger?" :lol: That still leaves plenty of time for her to sober up and hit us with her nuanced answers to important policy questions, so we can see she'd make a good president.

Let me ask you one question about that laugh she had at the Benghazi hearing:

DID ANY REPUBLICAN MANAGE TO ACTUALLY USE THAT AGAINST HER IN ANY WAY?

No, they did not. Congesswoman Roby will never forget when she became a national laughingstock to the point where there are numerous YouTubes of that magic moment. But anyone with any sense in their heads who watched that day came away not thinking about the laugh, but about how presidential she seemed and how her stamina allowed her to stand up to their questioning for hour after hour after grueling hour.

So I'm not suggesting she overtly become a comedienne on stage in the debate. But this is what the Donald fears most of all: People laughing at him. People making him into a joke. People who refuse to take him seriously.

So make it subtle, but at every possible opportunity, MAKE IT CLEAR THAT DONALD TRUMP IS A JOKE.

Then he will lose his temper. Then he will explode. Then he will go off script and show how truly, truly UGLY he is, deep inside.

Remember when Obama made a joke of him at the WHC dinner in 2011? He didn't laugh. He burned.

Set the bastard on fire, Hillz. :thumbs:

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:01 pm

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/20/494558977 ... t=20160920
But what happens when one candidate defies all notions of fact and fiction? When one candidate declares the moon is the sun and vice versa?

In this campaign, it has become obvious that it's not enough to say, "His opponent denied it." It has called for far more than traditionally boilerplate treatment of telling both sides. Several in the media during this campaign have started to move beyond "he said, she said" stories, an expression that predates both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
major snipping
The current case is simply without precedent. Trump has long insulted leading figures in public life, including rivals for the Republican nomination and nonsupportive members of his own party. This weekend that group came to include former Defense Secretary and CIA Director Robert Gates (whom Trump called "a clown," while asserting that he, Donald Trump, knew far more about defense, intelligence and security).

Some will say all this falls within the bounds of acceptable political behavior, especially in our time and in our social media sensibility. But some of us are still journalists and still feel a responsibility. And when someone tells us the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, that's just not OK; it's not business as usual.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:08 pm

The absolute WORST IN THE WORLD thing Hillz can do in the debate is lose her own temper. She can't get angry, no matter how vile and dishonest the scumbag gets.

SHE NEEDS TO MAKE IT FUN. SHE NEEDS TO LAUGH AT HIM. She needs to make the entire world, even her own husband who knows her best, think she's really, truly enjoying the debate, that she's glad for a chance to show her chops, and that she's really having a blast making fun of the psycho-twistoid sociopath crook.

MAKE IT FUN, HILLZ! :dance:

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Foggy wrote:The absolute WORST IN THE WORLD thing Hillz can do in the debate is lose her own temper. She can't get angry, no matter how vile and dishonest the scumbag gets.

SHE NEEDS TO MAKE IT FUN. SHE NEEDS TO LAUGH AT HIM. She needs to make the entire world, even her own husband who knows her best, think she's really, truly enjoying the debate, that she's glad for a chance to show her chops, and that she's really having a blast making fun of the psycho-twistoid sociopath crook.

MAKE IT FUN, HILLZ! :dance:
I'm sorry, sir, but you are off topic.

:mrgreen: :boxing:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Foggy, I was attempting to summarize the article I linked to which was about what the media will say after the first debate. I agree she could top him easily using the standards of a rational voter concerned about the security of the nation and the welfare of its citizens. What we have been complaining about is that the media does not look at the election that way.

I think your suggestions for Hillary are good ones, but will it change what the media and the pundits do after the first debate? You will probably not have Trump supporters wringing their hands but bragging about how great Trump did in taking Hillary down. Hillary supporters will be complaining because she wasn't relaxed and unscripted enough or some other damned if you do/don't thing to pick at. It's the nature of the beast. That's why there is the constant nagging about the enthusiasm gap. Serious people do not express enthusiasm the same way. They are not caught up in the fever of wild images and promises that cannot possibly be kept. What the deplorables hate the most is being looked down on for their beliefs and attitudes. Trump makes them feel better and freer to express their bigotry. That's the source of all that energy and pent up enthusiasm and Trump knows it. So, if the winner is determined by an applause meter, how do you think it's going to turn out (according to the media)?

I think the media will once again fail at its job as the subject title suggests. Do we have a pool?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Foggy has it right on both points. Hillary must show Trump for the ignorant, ugly fool that he is and she must retain her dignity and composure all the way.

We cannot count on the media doing their job in this environment. I think they don't know how to do a job that will keep eyes on them and paychecks in their bank accounts. They have never been trained to deal with this. Maybe Anderson Cooper can pull it off. I hope so.

Foggy is dead on target for this topic. We have to take it out of the hands of the media, and Hillary is best placed to do that.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Tollie wrote:
We have to take it out of the hands of the media, and Hillary is best placed to do that.
I don't know what that means. Can you elaborate?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:53 pm

esseff44 wrote:Tollie wrote:
We have to take it out of the hands of the media, and Hillary is best placed to do that.
I don't know what that means. Can you elaborate?
She has to show Trump for the ugly proto-fascist that he is in such a way that the media cannot smooth it over. She has to show which one has Presidential fiber in their guts. Her best opportunity to start doing this is the first debate.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I think people are getting all excited about these debates and I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that Clinton plans to do anything exciting. (This is not a complaint.) I feel like she'll debate like she always has. She is a good debater and she knows her stuff.

Don't get all excited about gotchas and guffaws. I don't think that's the game.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:21 pm

The last skilled, principled TV journalist was Jon Stewart.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:26 pm

She needs to, in the alloted time, give the most elaborate answers she can. Drumpf lives to generalise and throw out catch phrases. Hillary needs to show that she actually has plans to handle things, Drumpf will fall back on "I'm going to Make America (Insert Adjective Here) Again" that isn't a plan, it's a trucker hat slogan.

foilwatcher

Post by foilwatcher » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Foggy wrote:
esseff44 wrote:Trump will beat his chest, lie, boast, trumpet his favorite lines, outrage the liberals, throw red meat to his base, etc. There's no way a normal candidate like Hillary can top that as far as entertainment and quotability.
Wow, I never disagree with esseff usually. But this time for sure.

There IS a way Hillary can top that, which I have described several times. That is, she has to LAUGH. And MOCK. And BELITTLE, in a humorous way.

Did anyone forget what an unscripted, spontaneous, uproarious laugh by Hillz looks like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJqMgWHyk80

THAT'S WHAT SHE NEEDS TO DO TO DONALD. THAT'S THE ONE THING HE ABSOLUTELY CAN. NOT. STAND.

She needs to enrage the elephant.

Start slow. The first time he makes a mini-speech, laugh politely and say, "Wow, there are too many lies to answer them all. How does he do that?"

Then step it up. Slowly. Giggle a few times -- it's OK, many of us already know that you're a female, and females get to giggle now and then.

Then start laughing in the middle of his answers. Doesn't even have to be loud enough to interrupt him. Just make faces like you're laughing your damn ass off over what an idiot he is.

And use hilarious one-liners. Little short ones -- "Can y'all see his nose getting bigger?" :lol: That still leaves plenty of time for her to sober up and hit us with her nuanced answers to important policy questions, so we can see she'd make a good president.

Let me ask you one question about that laugh she had at the Benghazi hearing:

DID ANY REPUBLICAN MANAGE TO ACTUALLY USE THAT AGAINST HER IN ANY WAY?

No, they did not. Congesswoman Roby will never forget when she became a national laughingstock to the point where there are numerous YouTubes of that magic moment. But anyone with any sense in their heads who watched that day came away not thinking about the laugh, but about how presidential she seemed and how her stamina allowed her to stand up to their questioning for hour after hour after grueling hour.

So I'm not suggesting she overtly become a comedienne on stage in the debate. But this is what the Donald fears most of all: People laughing at him. People making him into a joke. People who refuse to take him seriously.

So make it subtle, but at every possible opportunity, MAKE IT CLEAR THAT DONALD TRUMP IS A JOKE.

Then he will lose his temper. Then he will explode. Then he will go off script and show how truly, truly UGLY he is, deep inside.

Remember when Obama made a joke of him at the WHC dinner in 2011? He didn't laugh. He burned.

Set the bastard on fire, Hillz. :thumbs:

Agree with every single point Foggy! Hillary needs to get under Trump's skin just as Obama did at that WH Correspondence dinner back in 2011. Subtle, but biting humor and yes, make it clear that Trump is a joke.

:boxing:

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Just to note that tonight, Lizard Person Mark Halperin expressed open dismay at the latest tRumP revelation--that he used several hundred thousands bucks from his charitable foundation, bucks believed to be wholly DONATED BY OTHER PEOPLE to settle a couple of lawsuits. Mind you, Lizard Man was dismayed not because tRump himself did anything wrong, but because--wait for it--tRumP showed a lack of judgement in hiring accountants and lawyers who would do such a sleazy, illegal thing. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

#inthetank #opm

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:52 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cnn ... 3?section=&

Does a US citizen bombing suspect deserve due process? CNN is asking. One would hope that they would answer with a reminder of what the Constitution is quite clear about.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:27 pm

This thread, in my opinion, belongs within a major Forum topic under "Politics and the Economy". The media is at least as important as "Unions and Labor Issues." But there isn't one.

I want to start a thread, or maybe a couple, about the bubble effect in the Internet age, and about how to consume media as a bullspotter.

Other useful threads might include how to build a reading list (across polls, twitter, facebook, networks, aggregators, other sources) that approximates "truth" or at least "unbiased."

Many of my friends are frustrated on these questions (whether they know it or not) and some cloud-sourcing on how to be an intelligent consumer could yield genuinely useful advice.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 pm

An article about the "Between 2 ferns" HRC interview has a Picture of TRUMP on the top and Is entitled "‘Between Two Ferns’ Director Scott Aukerman: Trump Would Be Terrible on the Show" a description that covers the last sentence of the article.

I despair.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -show.html

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 pm

THIS thread is about the media in the narrow subject of the US presidential election. If you want to to talk about the media in general then feel free to open another thread.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 pm

You misinterpreted the angle of my post. I picked the top active "media" post to insert my request for a new TOP LEVEL TOPIC which doesn't exist.

Yes it was off-topic. I apologize. And I will move my campaign to the section for new Fogbow feature requests.

Don't you think there should be a top level topic on Media subjects, in parallel with Unions & Labor Issues and
Foreign Policy?

Goodbye.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 pm

verbie is right, but I won't get to it for a few days. My life is veering out of control, and I urge my supporter to DEMAND a 30 hour day - 24 isn't enough to get it all done. :madguy:

Like, this weekend my dad's coming to visit, and I'm volunteering at WordCamp Raleigh, and then next week, Monday through Wednesday, I have to drive 8 separate 50-mile round trips to the high school, even though it's a vacation week, and I have a ton of insurance education that I must not only study, but pass, and AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!1!

But if I don't get to it in a few days, remind me, por favor.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Foggy wrote:verbie is right, but I won't get to it for a few days. My life is veering out of control, and I urge my supporter to DEMAND a 30 hour day - 24 isn't enough to get it all done. :madguy:

Like, this weekend my dad's coming to visit, and I'm volunteering at WordCamp Raleigh, and then next week, Monday through Wednesday, I have to drive 8 separate 50-mile round trips to the high school, even though it's a vacation week, and I have a ton of insurance education that I must not only study, but pass, and AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!1!

But if I don't get to it in a few days, remind me, por favor.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Return to “Media & Social Media”