"The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

RTH10260

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." 2016 thread

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 pm

My outsiders question: what is strong investigative media good for, when Americans have lost the ability to read and compare controversial presentations of matter. How does one get the Fox viewers and those Alex Jones internet stream fans deprogrammed. How do the schools get their pupils to work on such stuff rather than presenting Christian creation on same level with science and Evolution Theory? As an afterthought, was (anti-) Common Core a serious issue in this election cycle?

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Those of pretty good questions. I know I don't have the answers but I have been asking some related questions for a very long time. I was in the education system and I saw the failures of the education system. It got worse every year since end of the VN conflict. We had a mandate to include critical thinking into every curriculum. It was a good idea but extremely poorly executed. At times, I feared it was doing the opposite. What makes people so susceptible to brainwashing and propaganda? Everyone is susceptible to one degree or another, but like most people on this forum, most of the people I am around are amenable to having their beliefs and opinions challenged and checked against evidence and reality. It is no accident that our psychologists are largely employed in advertising (another form of brainwashing) and running focus groups to see how they can get people to believe, think, and behave a certain way. How does a big employer get more out of their employees, for example. How do big banks get customers to put more of their money/savings with them or invest in certain stock funds? Political consultants do the same thing. How to sway public opinion?

Common core is pretty much a dead issue. It is in place in many states and I never expected it to make any difference. The contrversy was manufactured outrage. Trump mentioned it once that I heard as a red meat issue but I am pretty sure he had no idea what it was or why people did no want it or why it was a good idea in the first place. Its only purpose and one pushed by the GOP was to have national standards by which to measure educational attainment across the country instead of state by state. We are pretty much back where we started. We are likely to go backward with the GOP pushing for more vouchers which takes money from public schools. That is something that Trump did use as red meat. Underneath is another way to deintegrate and resegregate but using tax funding to do it. That's a long time goal and fits right in with the white nationalist agenda.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:47 pm

The local high schoolers staged one of the demonstrations in town following the election of Trump. They wanted a peaceful protest with a positive message. They chose "Love Trumps War." I do have faith that love never fails -- but it may take years to see that, and I don't want to bet on that war idea.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:03 am

So I guess the Right wing is pushing back already on facebooks feeble attempts to riegn in this shit. This is from the UK. Its behind a paywall but I can just see the beginning of the third para.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... shut-down/
The panic over 'fake news' on Facebook is just the latest liberal ploy to shut down free speech

Angela Epstein

18 November 2016 • 7:28pm
Yesterday was my 26th wedding anniversary. Inevitably the joyous news – along with obligatory “my, how we’ve changed” cheesy bride and groom pic – made it’s way on to Facebook.

Well, actually I put it there. Of course I did. For though FB is increasingly “dissed” and deserted by post-millennial yoof, it remains the knee-jerk repository of news, views and schmooze for the generations who came before. Not that Mark Zuckerberg would care if I’d spun the details of my nuptials (I was a child bride, honest, guv). And I can’t imagine he’s bothered about the legions of blaggers who proclaim FB friends to look “stunning” – even when profile pictures of flabby women stuffed into ill-fitting shift dresses scream the contrary.

Equally, FB should - or rather, must - keep its beak out when it comes to those who use its platform to dish out so called "hoax news" - Manufactured baseless stories with inflammatory...
Because being polite to someone who posts a picture is exactly the same as posting that Hillary rigged the election against Sanders and murdered Vince Foster, with the express intention to help swing an election to a fascist.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Mark Zuckerberg has changed his tune about fake news on FB.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fac ... ce7aab7f9f

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:21 am

Speaking of Zuckerberg....

Facebooking Ourselves to Death
Americans are awash in a sea of disinformation. We've got to fight back.
In the wake of last week’s unbelievable election, it has become clearer than ever that our country is facing a crisis. And I’m not talking about our president-elect. If America’s democratic institutions prove strong enough — and they are among the strongest in the world — we may yet survive the reign of Donald Trump. But I’m afraid we face a problem that’s bigger than one man. We have lost our ability to have a coherent national conversation about politics.
:snippity:
I certainly don’t mean to suggest that the two sides are equivalent. Contrary to the popular wisdom, the 2016 election produced a deluge of excellent journalism that made the unique horror of Donald Trump’s candidacy abundantly clear. The New York Times dove into everything from his tax avoidance to his business failures. The Washington Post’s David Fahrenthold earned high praise for his meticulous takedown of Trump’s lies about his charity work, not to mention his disgusting predatory behavior. Editorial boards across the country, no matter their political orientation, came out decisively against Trump. Even the television networks, roundly criticized for providing the candidate with copious free coverage, helped popularize his many outrages, such as the time he openly mocked a disabled reporter.

It made no difference. The biggest collective effort ever undertaken by the nation’s entire journalistic community was drowned out by the clickbait....
:snippity:
We once had gatekeepers that fought against this tendency and grounded us in the same reality — the nightly network news, the major and minor newspapers, the news magazines. But in the age of social media they’ve lost all their power, sending us all spinning off on different orbits. Various fact-checkers have tried to step into the breach. But they’re not having much success replacing the gatekeepers of old. As Joshua Benton points out, a fake story claiming that the Pope had endorsed Donald Trump was shared almost 900,000 times, while the article that debunked it got just 33,000 shares. Fact checkers are for the elites, not for the masses. We are tweeting, facebooking, and snapchatting ourselves apart.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/18/fac ... -to-death/

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I think it warrants a comment.

I almost fell over. In the break room today on Faux "news" they were talking about Spicer's commentary on illegals voting. Faux actually had a real, live person who stated that there is "no evidence whatsoever of illegals voting" and the Faux anchors did not try to argue against it. Of course, one of them did have to mention some other bad thing that minorities have done (Chicago!!!!!!), but even that was only a halfhearted effort to distract from the fact that no illegals have voted and it didn't take among the other anchors. They actually pretty much allowed his statement to stand and at least one anchor echoed that this is the truth! Oh my. I heard something true on Faux today. That doesn't happen very often.

Just in case you are wondering - yes, the Faux faithful DO believe that Trump's inauguration was the highest attended inauguration EVAH!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:57 am

Trump voters chose Trump partly because he is going to run government like you run a business. (Don't even get me started on what I think is wrong with that).

But, OK, let's take this at face value. Why isn't the media pointing out that Trump's ban on Muslims doesn't pass the smell test for how a business would be run, given his claim to run government like a business? In business, when a policy is put into place and that policy is shown to be effective it would be considered a waste of time and resources to continue to try to come up with additional policies to solve a problem that is already essentially solved. And, why doesn't the media more forcefully fight back against the habit of Trump supporters to continuously give examples for attacks that happen outside of the US in order to support their claim that vetting in the US is insufficient? I mean, how hard can it be to ask the surrogates "In what what does this ban on Muslims in the US prevent an attack in France"?

Just two of my recent pet peeves.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

The media failed at is job long before the election. If they had fact-checked, dug around, did some real reporting instead of cutting away to ogle at Trump, who knows. I know I recall correctly that you could bet on them cutting away and covering Trumps rallies in entirety, even if they had a intelligent guest on.

The media allowed vague and shadowy accusations about Clinton almost daily while almost completely ignoring Sanders. And so now the Shit Show has retired to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and the media is writing it's hands, while we get to watch in horror.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:The media failed at is job long before the election. If they had fact-checked, dug around, did some real reporting instead of cutting away to ogle at Trump, who knows. I know I recall correctly that you could bet on them cutting away and covering Trumps rallies in entirety, even if they had a intelligent guest on.

The media allowed vague and shadowy accusations about Clinton almost daily while almost completely ignoring Sanders. And so now the Shit Show has retired to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and the media is writing it's hands, while we get to watch in horror.
It annoyed me to no end the way they couldn't wait to put on TV every friggin' thing Trump had to say, and yes, most of his idiotic rallies were covered in full. IMO the media is absolutely to blame for the fact that Trump got elected. I don't know of a single person who didn't think Trump was a complete buffoon when he announced his candidacy. Had he been treated equally with every single other candidate, I don't believe he ever would have won the primary, much less the general election. Giving him hour after hour of free time on the air allowed him to appear to be a viable candidate. And let's face it, most people are followers rather than leaders. IMO it became easier for people to take him seriously after they were faced with constant video of his rallies and seeing other people taking him seriously.

Every single person I know who voted for him started out thinking he was a complete idiot and they couldn't believe anyone would be stupid enough to vote for him. And guess what - they not only voted for him, but some of these people are rabid supporters. I turned off notifications for about 25 percent of my Facebook friends because I can't stand to see the filth many of them are posting. And every last stinking one of them originally thought Trump was an idiot, a fool, and a joke as a candidate. Every. last. one.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:35 pm

The one point of "The media is failing at its job" for me is that they let the Trump statement slip thru, that Arab / Muslim refugees are flooding the country without control. All those visa holders had to apply and fill out questionaires and go for an interview at the consulate before getting granted a visa. Hardly a way a jihadist could slip thru the filters. The jihadist movements are all war oriented, no way that they are able to build up and control sleepers / sleeper cells in the US, they operate too far away geographically and ideologically. And what irks me most is that the Syrian refugees are not those "boat people" that flooded Europe, but people and families selected by the UN from refugee camps and have past a 12 to 18 month vetting process locally before granted asylum in the US. They are not what radical Islamists are looking for to recruit as potential terrorists.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:43 pm

RTH10260 wrote:The one point of "The media is failing at its job" for me is that they let the Trump statement slip thru, that Arab / Muslim refugees are flooding the country without control. All those visa holders had to apply and fill out questionaires and go for an interview at the consulate before getting granted a visa. Hardly a way a jihadist could slip thru the filters. The jihadist movements are all war oriented, no way that they are able to build up and control sleepers / sleeper cells in the US, they operate too far away geographically and ideologically. And what irks me most is that the Syrian refugees are not those "boat people" that flooded Europe, but people and families selected by the UN from refugee camps and have past a 12 to 18 month vetting process locally before granted asylum in the US. They are not what radical Islamists are looking for to recruit as potential terrorists.
:yeah:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Re: "The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

Post by Suranis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Thread changed becasue why not.

And yeah, the Media seem to have only just discovered that the SFV is a lying sack of shit, and if they bring him down they will all congratulate themselves on being Woodward and Bernstien, when in fact they enabled this loser from day one and practically shoved him onto the throne.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:45 am

So I was googling news reports of the Moral March in NY yesterday, as I wanted to see how many people attended and what the issues were. I read half a dozen or so reports (sorry, didn't keep links) and although I didn't find anything on the number of actual attendees, I did become aware of what struck me as a disturbance in the Force.

Many of the news stories (or maybe "news" stories) contained a paragraph giving the opposing view (or maybe "opposing view"). This would start out with something like "Not everyone was in favor of the march" and then give a quote from some local GOP op along the lines of "This is a far left agenda that would kill jobs."

Maybe I'm still raw from the flaying by the media during the campaign, but, seriously? Is this goal now for journalism? To report on a massive political event with about concrete issues and then try to balance it with what amounts to a political opponent splatting out exhausted rhetoric? I actually looked closely to see if any of the "news" stories then went on to say "We spoke to one of the march members who laughed and said "Jesus H Christ, those GOP dudes really have no argument, do they. So cool when they prove that our call for justice and integrity and equality is needed." But no.

Yes, I know, the media has had and largely still has its head up its ass, but this small trend just hit me. I pictured: "A march was held in Soweto today to protest the mass deportation of 50,000 black South Africans. But not everyone was in favor of the march; local police chief Hansi Kroene said 'This is just another display of black laziness, and it's going to make a big mess.'"

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Fox News shows broke UK TV impartiality rules, Ofcom finds
Decision against US channel that is no longer broadcast in UK is seen as setback for Murdoch family’s Sky bid
The media regulator Ofcom has ruled that the Fox News programmes Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight breached impartiality rules covering British broadcasting.

The rulings relate to coverage of the Manchester Arena bombing in May and Donald Trump’s executive order in January that restricted travel to the US from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Investors interpreted the rulings as a setback for the Murdoch family’s hopes of taking full control of Sky, sending shares in the satellite broadcaster down 1.7% on Monday.

21st Century Fox, which is controlled by the Murdochs and owns Fox News, is trying to buy the 61% of Sky that it does not own in an £11.7bn deal. The deal is being investigated by the Competition and Markets Authority on the grounds of media plurality and commitment to broadcasting standards.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/n ... fcom-finds

Birfers are toast

Return to “Media & Social Media”