Media Moves

Suranis

Re: Media Moves

Post by Suranis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 am

https://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/
March Maddow-ness: MSNBC Dominates Fox News in the March Ratings Championship Game
Posted by Mark NC on March 31, 2018 at 3:14 pm. 1 Comments :

Two years ago, Fox News was the unchallenged king of the cable news networks with ratings that sometimes exceeded the combined total of CNN and MSNBC. Last year, Rachel Maddow showed surprising strength against her competition, Sean Hannity. But now it is becoming a regular occurrence that MSNBC beats Fox News over significant parts of the daily schedule.

MSNBC’s ratings success is driven by Maddow’s continued surge. She is no longer a quirky thorn in Fox’s side. She regularly wins her time period in the coveted advertising demographic of 18-34 year olds. In March she beat Hannity every single day of the month except for one. Her average audience for the month was 651,000. That compares to Hannity’s average of 568,000. But even more impressive is that Maddow also bested Hannity in total viewers fourteen out of the twenty-one weekdays in the month. Her average for total viewers was 2.99 million vs. Hannity’s 2.87 million.

MSNBC should also be proud of having better audience numbers in the demo than Fox News for most of the evening hours including primetime. Their average from 4:00pm to midnight was 458,400 vs. Fox’s 455,800. The Last Word with Lawerence O’Donnell won its time period thirteen of the twenty-one weekdays in March. And The 11th Hour with Brian Williams came out on top on nineteen days. Both of those programs scored higher than their competition (Laura Ingraham and Shannon Bream respectively) for the full month. And although Fox News generally did better during most of the daytime time periods, Deadline with Nicolle Wallace managed to beat Fox’s Neil Cavuto on eight days.

:snippity:

The bottom line is that Fox News can no longer consider itself the number one network for cable news. It has been declining with each new reporting period. In January Fox News dropped fourteen percent in primetime. And February topped that with an additional fifteen percent decline. Meanwhile, MSNBC gained significantly in both of those months. February’s percentage gains were over twenty percent. Even worse for Fox News was their actual earnings performance. Their revenue rose less than either of their competitors – a measly seventeen percent. CNN’s rise doubled that to thirty-two percent. And MSNBC rocketed up sixty-two percent.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 am

In other news, I saw more advertisers are pulling from Ingraham's show, and something about a "pre-planned vacation."

Maybe it's not a good idea to bully traumatized teenagers?

On the other hand, I wish advertisers were more selective about their spends.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am

gupwalla wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 am
There is not a word of that I disagree with. It is a coordinated anti-propaganda PSA.

CNN has done itself a grave disservice here by painting this as somehow pro-Trump or anti-media. It is neither, in my opinion. It's an honest effort to support local news media as trusted and reliable (and most of them are) while warning viewers away from click-bait "news" items in their FaceBook and Twitter feeds.
Read up on Sinclair Broadcasting, then come back here and tell us what you think after you've learned about the man and his company.

And if the fact that he forced his employees to recite his little propaganda piece doesn't alarm you, then the fact that Sinclair is soon going to be the largest owner of television stations in the US should.

Koch family. Mercer family. Sinclair family. These are all rabidly right-wing billionaire families who are using their power to reshape this country into what they want it to be - a corporotacracy.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 am

Not to mention Sinclair requiring all of its many stations to run commentary by fucking Boris Epshteyn, with other appearance by the utterly unbiased and fair minded Sebastian Gorka:
The broadcaster has aligned itself with the Trump administration: In addition to the “one-sided news” script featured last week, Sinclair stations are also required to run political commentary from the network’s chief political analyst, Boris Epshteyn. Epshteyn previously worked for the Trump White House and Trump’s 2016 campaign.

The Post-Intelligencer noted that another must-run segment aired on KOMO last week featured former Trump White House official Sebastian Gorka. (During a panel on Sinclair-owned WJLA in October, Gorka lamented “black Africans” killing each other “by the bushel” in Chicago.)

Gorka, Post-Intelligencer reported, spoke about an alleged “deep state” attempting to undermine the Trump presidency. The segment’s producer, according to the report, was Kristine Frazao, who before working for Sinclair was a reporter and anchor for the Russian state-owned network RT.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... ws-stories

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:45 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am
Read up on Sinclair Broadcasting, then come back here and tell us what you think after you've learned about the man and his company.
I've read up on Sinclair, and media consolidation generally. That's a debate for another day, but you and I would probably be in agreement on many points.

I also made a concerted effort to listen to this news piece as objectively as possible, without putting any of my own bias or agenda into how I interpreted the message. I'd encourage others to at least try and do the same.

And on that objective basis, I can't find anything in the statement that I disagree with. I read it as a warning against one-sided, clickbait social media "newstainment" and I endorse that warning. I wish we'd had a coordinated effort to deliver that warning years ago.

It is notable that the online outrage towards Sinclair appears to be driven by InfoWars. They are exactly the kind of agenda-driven agitprop outlet that the Sinclair piece is warning against, so it's understandable they would get their underpants in a knot over it.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:12 pm

The anti-sinclair stuff is driven by Infowars. That's a new one. :roll:

Reminds me of Bannon when he ran that RougeWhitehousestaffer twitter account and strung people along... till he got confident he could fool people and started saying that Nancy Pelosi was just pushing the Russia investigation to use it for fundraising. At which point there was a long rousing chorus of BULL. SHIT.

So yeah. BULL SHIT. I don't know whether someone has hacked Gupwallas account or whatever is going on, but I will not stand by and have my intelligence insulted by an argument that wouldn't fool a drunk flea. If someone wants to troll is at least try and be entertaining and somewhat plausible. Yeesh.

Anyway with all that, this is background on Sinclair Broadcasting. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... al-news-1/

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Gupwalla seems to be reacting to the message out of context. On the surface and read literally with no agenda, the message seems to be a good one. But the message's context, intent, and deployment are meant to undermine mainstream, actual media like NYT and WaPo in favor of actual fake news. That's what's wrong with it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:08 pm

The Guardian: This is Sinclair, 'the most dangerous US company you've never heard of'

Sinclair is the largest broadcast company in America. But its partisan politics – and connections to the White House – are raising concerns

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:37 pm
Gupwalla seems to be reacting to the message out of context. On the surface and read literally with no agenda, the message seems to be a good one. But the message's context, intent, and deployment are meant to undermine mainstream, actual media like NYT and WaPo in favor of actual fake news. That's what's wrong with it.
You and I have the same take on this. If you only listen to this one single message, it does seem to be a good message - warning against bias. It doesn't directly point to who they think is being biased, so it would be easy to believe they are against bias in general. However, viewers are being subjected to other messaging, not just this one message. It's all that other messaging that seems to make it clear that they are targeting main stream news sources, not the real perpetrators of biased "news".

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:00 am

As others have said, the objections to the Sinclair message must be read in context. The message is comparable to Fox's "Fair and Balanced". Absent context, nobody can argue with it. The problem is when Fox, or Sinclair, use it as banner to hide behind and actually behave exactly the opposite of what they're saying.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 am

Our summer home is in a Sinclair media market so I understand first hand what bullshit the message is. The nightly TERROR ALERT segment is particularly egregious, scaring the bejesus out of folk who live in the most unlikely terrorist targeted area of the country. If anyone needs a refresher Jon Oliver did an excellent show on this last summer.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:59 am

Sinclair is dangerous propaganda, whatever your view of this fake news message. They are all about spreading the right-wing word, not really spreading so much as forcing it down their customers’ collective throats.

Local and national news copy, word for word the same on a single subject in every market, is not news, it’s propaganda. :boxing:

Behold the beginning of Trump’s nationable broadcasterating company. :?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:00 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 am
Our summer home is in a Sinclair media market so I understand first hand what bullshit the message is. The nightly TERROR ALERT segment is particularly egregious, scaring the bejesus out of folk who live in the most unlikely terrorist targeted area of the country. If anyone needs a refresher Jon Oliver did an excellent show on this last summer.
Have people lost all common sense as to the position of the US on the map of this planet? They are geograhically the best protected location to live in. The only people in need of a terror alert are is law enforcement, eg the FBI. They then can pinpoint the local LEO when some incident is developing. Any terrorist attack will be limited (apart from electronic warfare by foreign state agencies). There is currently no known terrorist group that has the capabilities to do more than mosquito bites. Those with potential are under observation by CIA and Mossad. Those involved in the latest scare against airliners have likely been erradicated when Raqqa (Syria) was essentially levelled by airbombing the place back to the stone ages. Any still surviving group in Yemen have their own problems to handle first and little time to think how to target the US.

In reference to the 1st Amendment Auditors mentioned in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=26&p=974685#p974661), what I see is that a large number of staffers at these federal and state facilities are living in a state of paranoia, seeing the bad guy round every corner so to speak. Many of the clips I have viewed end with the police officer called to the scence speaking with the "auditors" and mentioning something along the line: "you must understand these workers, in times like these .....". Not withstanding the fact that a bad guy will not be standing around a facility for hours making photos and videos in broad daylight, often in colourful clothes. Plus Google has many times the objects in Maps and Earthview plus Streetview too (with several critical military and government objects obfuscated).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 am

John Oliver on this weeks events contains a special on Sinclair

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 am

gupwalla wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 am
Hi, I'm [station ID] [anchor introductions].

Our greatest responsibility is to serve our [local market] communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that [station] produces.

But, we are concerned about a troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country.

The sharing of biased and false news has become all-too common on social media. More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories without checking facts first.

Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control exactly what people think, and this is extremely dangerous to our democracy.
There is not a word of that I disagree with. It is a coordinated anti-propaganda PSA.

CNN has done itself a grave disservice here by painting this as somehow pro-Trump or anti-media. It is neither, in my opinion. It's an honest effort to support local news media as trusted and reliable (and most of them are) while warning viewers away from click-bait "news" items in their FaceBook and Twitter feeds.
Doing a wellness check, Guppy. Are your meds in balance?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:30 am

Folks, there is no "Sinclair family." Sinclair is owned by the Smith brothers... Fred, David, Duncan and I forget the other one.

I worked on their houses in Baltimore County. I won't dox them any further.

Duncan, for those who didn't read my post during the Trump campaign or have forgotten, is the one I had a conversation with years ago (I believe it was during the Obama administration) who complained about welfare recipients, immigrants, drug users, etc. and said we need to do away with them. I said "But those people are Americans and have rights." His response, and I swear on my granddaughters' lives that this is a quote:

"That's why we need a dictator."

And now their syndicated TV station conglomerate is backing Trump.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am

I had the incorrect view that laws and regulations would prevent a single entity from owning so many outlets. Was i always wrong or did something change?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:54 am

No you weren't wrong.
The Rules were changed so that those in slightly different parts of the RF spectrum counted as not being in the same market.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

This is where I would love to see an organized advertiser pressure of boycott happen a la Laura Ingraham.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am

I’m tellin’ ya, the ascendancy of Sinclair is a signal. They changed the rules so Sinclair can own more stations in more markets, and in the same markets, than anyone has ever been allowed before, with barely a peep from the public.

We’re in relatively uncharted territory now. My concern grows. It CAN happen here.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am

kate520 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am
I’m tellin’ ya, the ascendancy of Sinclair is a signal. They changed the rules so Sinclair can own more stations in more markets, and in the same markets, than anyone has ever been allowed before, with barely a peep from the public.

We’re in relatively uncharted territory now. My concern grows. It CAN happen here.
IMO it IS happening here.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am

:grouphug:
kate520 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am

¡Sterngard! come home.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 am
John Oliver on this weeks events contains a special on Sinclair

Unfortunately your video is now unavailable. After I posted very early this morning about John Oliver's expose on Sinclair last year, I settled in to watch the episode you linked. His follow up on Sinclair was excellent!

Also, those TERROR ALERTS (aka The Terrorist Alert Desk) do have an effect on people. As I've gotten to know the locals, some have told me about nightmares they've had about a terrorist attack in their local high school, etc. Of course, the real terrorists they should be concerned about are nuts with AR-15s, but no matter.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:55 am

Cincinnati.com
Sinclair Broadcast video: Cincinnati City Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld says he's boycotting local station Channel 12 WKRC

Cincinnati City Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld says he'll no longer watch Channel 12 in the wake of a controversial video that shows Channel 12 anchors - and anchors across the country - reading an identical script from parent company Sinclair Broadcasting.

"Creepy, cult-ish, and way too propagandistic for my taste," the Democrat tweeted over the weekend. "As I've said before, I love many of the individual people at Channel 12 - but the direction of their ownership, @WeAreSinclair, is deeply troubling, and will prevent my propping up their revenue stream by being a viewer."

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:50 am

Alternate posting of John Olivers clip, Sinclair starts around 2minutes

Return to “Media & Social Media”