Re: Media Moves

Post by RTH10260 »

John Oliver on the dropped Murray law suit and about SLAPP

Wait for the Grand Finale (or skip to it) at about the 21 minutes marker

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow. That is awesome. Watched from the start for full effect.

Thanks for sharing.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

I'm surprised that Oliver didn't call the closing segment, "Eat Shit Bob, The Musical" :-D

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/busi ... -news.html
In his first public remarks since abruptly resigning from Fox News last month, the anchor Shepard Smith called on Thursday for a steadfast defense of independent journalism, while offering a few subtle barbs at President Trump’s treatment of the press.

And in a surprise announcement, Mr. Smith said he would personally donate $500,000 to the Committee to Protect Journalists, a nonprofit group that advances press freedoms around the world.

“Intimidation and vilification of the press is now a global phenomenon. We don’t have to look far for evidence of that,” Mr. Smith said at the group’s annual dinner in Midtown Manhattan, an appearance he signed up for before he left Fox News, his television home of 23 years.

The crowd at the black-tie fund-raiser — which draws leading reporters, editors and executives from across the media industry — rose to its feet and applauded after Mr. Smith revealed his donation.

bob

Post by bob »

HuffPo: Orange County’s OC Weekly Suddenly Shuts Down:
The alternative California weekly has closed after a quarter-century of publication, staffers said.

OC Weekly, a print and online source for news about Southern California’s Orange County, suspended publication on Wednesday permanently and without warning, employees said.

The alternative weekly’s owner, Duncan McIntosh Co., did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment on the closure.

Duncan McIntosh Co., which bought OC Weekly from Voice Media Group in 2016, owns several other publications about boating and fishing.
Back in the birther days, the OCW ran stories about Taitz, e.g., Orly Taitz Thought Andrew S. Hanen was Her Anti-Obama Judge; Too Bad He Didn't Play Ball.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that was a weekly I read from cover to cover when I lived in Orange County.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Some interesting gossip from The Daily Beast:
MSNBC talent and staffers are bracing for a major 2020 shakeup amid discussion of moving ratings-challenged Chuck Todd to a morning slot and execs talking with Fox News escapee Shepard Smith.

The goal of any reshuffle would be to shed ratings dead weight in the lead-up to the election. Sources at the network cautioned that a new look for the lineup is still up in the air, but brass have been batting around several options.

One of those is new blood in the form of Smith, who abruptly quit Fox News late last year after on-air skirmishes with Tucker Carlson and other prime-time hosts. Smith has had conversations with MSNBC President Phil Griffin about a potential gig when his non-compete clause expires, although his price tag is expected to be considerable for any interested network.

“It’s unclear what slot he would take, but we’d want him in prime-time,” an MSNBC insider told The Daily Beast. “We are well aware [Jeff] Zucker [president of CNN] is also pursuing him, as are a number of the networks.”

At 30 Rock, much of the tinkering is focused on the daytime schedule.

With the lackluster performance of Todd’s MTP Daily at 5 p.m.—“a hammock,” :lol: as one insider put it, between the robust ratings of Nicolle Wallace’s 4 p.m. show and Ari Melber’s 6 p.m. show—there has been talk of switching Todd to 9 a.m., as Page Six first reported. Under that scenario, the current 9 a.m. anchor, Stephanie Ruhle, could move to 3 p.m., where her financial expertise would mesh well with the market closings.

However, Todd is said to be resisting such a move. Several sources inside NBC cited the perception that his new slot would hurt him with an even bigger dip for any program that airs after the successful Morning Joe franchise. Others said that some of the show’s staffers were less than thrilled by the scheduling demands of an earlier time slot. :violin: One source told The Daily Beast that NBC News and MSNBC Chairman Andy Lack recently traveled to D.C. to meet with the Meet the Press staff to discuss the team’s weekend show and various other projects, including the show’s podcast and a possible role on NBC’s forthcoming streaming platform.
Much more: https://www.thedailybeast.com/jitters-a ... h?ref=home
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I have a suggestion as to where they can move Chuck Both-Sides-Do-It Todd.

:sharky;
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Leave the 8-10 prime time alone. :boxing:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/kan ... urs-a-day/

[quote]A Kansas City area radio station has agreed to broadcast Russian state-owned media programming, the same outlet that U.S. intelligence called a “propaganda machine,” for six hours a day through a lease agreement struck by a local radio operator, reports The Kansas City Star.

RM Broadcasting LLC, a Florida-based company, reached a deal on Jan. 1 to broadcast programming from the Russian state media program Radio Sputnik.

The lease agreement lets RM Broadcasting air its programming from 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. seven days a week, according to the Star.

KCXL’s website, which touts itself as the radio station that will “tell you the things that the liberal media wont (sic) tell you,” currently lists Radio Sputnik in its morning programming.[quote]
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Ben Smith of BuzzFeed News departs the site he built from scratch, heading for the New York Times

His name is so closely associated with BuzzFeed News that his Twitter handle is BuzzFeedBen.

But Ben Smith — who turned a website widely seen as a clickbait factory into an award-winning news operation — will soon leave the editor-in-chief role he has held for eight years to become the next New York Times media columnist.

“I’m eager to get back to reporting and writing, though I have loved editing,” Smith told me in a phone interview. He informed the BuzzFeed staff of his decision in an email Tuesday afternoon. ...

But Smith said that one of the reasons he feels comfortable leaving now is that the company and the newsroom are stable. He said he has reason to believe BuzzFeed will be profitable this year.

“I think we really built this place to last, and it’s in a strong position,” he said. BuzzFeed will conduct a wide search for its next top editor and will consider internal and external candidates.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Addie

Post by Addie »

Man, I feel bad about this. :(
The Guardian: McClatchy: newspaper publisher bankruptcy 'a loss for democracy', experts warn

Struggling firm insists there’ll be no changes in its 30 newsrooms but experts worry powerful journalism could be lost
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Addie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:47 pm
Man, I feel bad about this. :(
The Guardian: McClatchy: newspaper publisher bankruptcy 'a loss for democracy', experts warn

Struggling firm insists there’ll be no changes in its 30 newsrooms but experts worry powerful journalism could be lost
Me too.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Media & Social Media”