CNN and Abilio James Acosta v. Donald Trump, et. al., USDC-DC

Kendra

Re: CNN and Abilio James Acosta v. Donald Trump, et. al., USDC-DC

Post by Kendra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am

This is silly, it just stirs up more drama to distract from things like, the Kashoggi issue. I agree with the comment upthread that all they really have to do is ignore him, if that's what they wanted.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am
Why doesn't CNN just ask for a preliminary (or permanent) injunction that will continue in force after the TRO expires? :confused:
They did. That litigation is ongoing. The TRO was just the first motion in the case.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:08 am

I've got ten bucks, right now, that says that by the time this thing gets to a decision in the DC Circuit, someone - either CNN or a judge - will have quoted the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am

SLQ wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am
Several of his colleagues in the WH press pool have said exactly the same thing, that he is a bit of a self-promoter.
:gotalink:
I suggest listening to Julie Mason's The Press Pool on SiriusXM. She's a White House correspondent and former president of the WHCA, and frequently has other members of the WHCA on air who have been critical of Acosta's style. The word "showboat" is used quite a lot.

And from the same Politico article I linked above:
Fans leave bourbon in Acosta’s mailbox and stop him on the street to thank him for standing up to Trump’s policies and press-bashing; his critics, some of them within his own newsroom, worry he has strayed into naked partisanship in pursuit of ratings and allowed himself to be cast as the perfect foil for an administration that has pegged the mainstream media as an enemy.

Acosta, by informal acclamation of his peers, is considered the reporter most likely to become part of the news story of any given day. “He understands that this is a big show, he’s seen the Saturday Night Live parodies and he’s made a conscious effort to become one of the notable characters,” said a senior reporter who sits toward the front of the briefing room. Others told me they admired Acosta’s determination not to cower in front of the bully pulpit, but at the same time quietly bemoaned the delight the administration seems to take in sparring with him. One example: After Miller stepped away from the podium, he received high-fives from his colleagues.
"Quietly bemoaned the delight the administration seems to take in sparring with him." Translation: He's a showboat who is providing Trump & Co. with a useful foil.

This Washington Post profile is instructive because it shows how much of a household name Acosta has become among Trump supporters. So much so that they ask him for ironic selfies that they can post about the "dishonest media." How fun! That seems like someone totally dedicated to good journalism, and not at all interested in promoting himself. In short:
Ever since he started on the Trump beat, Acosta has known that such events can be fraught. Acosta is both a recognizable face and a walking incitement to members of Trump Nation. He’s something like the star of the opposing team at a home game — a villain, a target.
Todd Purdum of The Atlantic (hardly a conservative publication) put it very well:
Perhaps the best advice for Acosta (and the rest of us) comes from Martin Baron, the executive editor of The Washington Post and one of contemporary America’s most respected journalists, on his acceptance of a leadership award last year. “The president has said he is at war with the press,” Baron said then. “I can say this: We are not at war. We are at work—just doing our jobs.”

Indeed, it is the working journalist’s first maxim to show, not tell; to do, not say; to explain, not exhort; to omit, as E. B. White advised, “needless words.” It’s true that a hostile nonanswer from a public official can be revealing, as Sanders’s was in its way. After all, the president’s own daughter Ivanka felt able to say that she did not view the press as the enemy; would it have really hurt Sanders to do the same?

But Acosta’s confrontation—so florid, so vivid—also plays directly into Trump’s received narrative about a hostile, combative, and even unfair press. It’s an uncomfortable echo of Dan Rather’s famous 1974 exchange with Richard Nixon, when an audience at the National Association of Broadcasters’ meeting greeted Rather’s mere introduction with applause (and scattered boos), and Nixon inquired, “Are you running for something?” Rather bowed his head in a humblebrag way before rejoining, “No, sir, Mr. President, are you?,” prompting a frozen skeleton’s smile from Nixon.

The last thing Trump—or the press, or the public—needs is another convenient villain in the performative arena of the long-running reality show that is his administration. Acosta’s broadside blurs the line between reporting and performance, between work and war, at a time when journalists have a greater obligation than ever to demonstrate that what they do is real, and matters—and is not just part of the passing show.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:16 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am
This is silly, it just stirs up more drama to distract from things like, the Kashoggi issue. I agree with the comment upthread that all they really have to do is ignore him, if that's what they wanted.
:yeah:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

Even assuming that Acosta is a bit more publicity-happy than the average run of prime-time reporter, and assuming that the White House wants to keep this fight going because it's good for their base,* I'm not sure that this suggests that it would be a bad thing to keep the fight going.

First, the issues of press access are important - it's a fight worth having on those grounds alone.
Second, I'm not sure it isn't a fight that's good as a reminder that there are important things that are still - even after the midterm victories - at risk.

* I wouldn't argue against either assumption.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 am

CNN seeks hearing after White House again vows to yank reporter's access
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - CNN on Monday called on a federal court to hold emergency proceedings after the White House said it would again revoke press access to correspondent Jim Acosta despite a temporary restraining order on Friday to reinstate him.

Acosta’s credentials were revoked after Trump denounced him as a “rude, terrible person” during a Nov. 7 news conference. CNN challenged the move in court and on Friday won a ruling that temporarily reinstated Acosta while the court considers the news network’s lawsuit over the ouster.

In a filing on Monday, CNN and Acosta asked for an expedited hearing next week after top White House communications officials told Acosta in a letter late on Friday that it had already decided to suspend his press once the two-week restraining order expires.

The White House opposed the request for an emergency hearing, writing in response to the court: “Not only is there no ‘emergency’ right now, it is impossible to know at this point whether next steps are necessary, much less what those steps should be.”

It said the White House expected to make its final decision on Acosta credentials by 3 p.m. EST (2000 GMT) on Friday.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:57 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am
Even assuming that Acosta is a bit more publicity-happy than the average run of prime-time reporter, and assuming that the White House wants to keep this fight going because it's good for their base,* I'm not sure that this suggests that it would be a bad thing to keep the fight going.

First, the issues of press access are important - it's a fight worth having on those grounds alone.
Second, I'm not sure it isn't a fight that's good as a reminder that there are important things that are still - even after the midterm victories - at risk.

* I wouldn't argue against either assumption.
Look out how the base chants at him at the rallies: "CNN sucks".

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Trump can't win by quietly dumping somebody in the corner. He has to be seen as The Boss. People have to see him win big. All his plays are runs up the middle because he goes where he wants no matter what the defense does. There are no option plays in his playbook.

He can't quietly win.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:30 pm
:snippity:

He can't quietly win.
Also makes it hard to lose quietly.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:08 am
I've got ten bucks, right now, that says that by the time this thing gets to a decision in the DC Circuit, someone - either CNN or a judge - will have quoted the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.
Thank you.* :towel:

* Well, a paraphrasing; I'll settle for $6.50.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am
I suggest listening to Julie Mason's The Press Pool on SiriusXM. She's a White House correspondent and former president of the WHCA, and frequently has other members of the WHCA on air who have been critical of Acosta's style. The word "showboat" is used quite a lot.
Thanks, but I wasn't asking for a suggestion.
fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am
Acosta, by informal acclamation of his peers, is considered the reporter most likely to become part of the news story of any given day. “He understands that this is a big show, he’s seen the Saturday Night Live parodies and he’s made a conscious effort to become one of the notable characters,” said a senior reporter who sits toward the front of the briefing room. Others told me they admired Acosta’s determination not to cower in front of the bully pulpit, but at the same time quietly bemoaned the delight the administration seems to take in sparring with him.[/highlight] One example: After Miller stepped away from the podium, he received high-fives from his colleagues.

"Quietly bemoaned the delight the administration seems to take in sparring with him." Translation: He's a showboat who is providing Trump & Co. with a useful foil.
Thanks, but I don't need a translation. I can read the whole quote (and the others) for myself, and I disagree with your assessment.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm

That didn't take long.

John Roberts

Verified account

@johnrobertsFox
Follow Follow @johnrobertsFox
More
SCOOP: @WhiteHouse to not seek revocation of @Acosta hard pass --- sources

2:29 PM - 19 Nov 2018

ImageImageImage x4

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Someone must have sat them down and run through the whole "rules come before due process which comes before punishment" thing for them.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:56 pm
Someone must have sat them down and run through the whole "rules come before due process which comes before punishment" thing for them.
:yeah:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Still can't link but Daniel Dale (@ddale8) is telling me on twitter than Acosta is back BUT New Rules: One question only. No follow-ups unless agreed to by Press Secy or President and if you ask one anyway, you're out, as in pass revoked permanently.

Thoughts?

ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm
Still can't link but Daniel Dale (@ddale8) is telling me on twitter than Acosta is back BUT New Rules: One question only. No follow-ups unless agreed to by Press Secy or President and if you ask one anyway, you're out, as in pass revoked permanently.
Shirley not the expression of the American ideal, but likely constitutional. Due process (generally) requires that the rules be rational and notice of the rules be given. "One question per, no uninvited follow-ups" is reasonable (legally) because it furthers the purpose of an orderly press conference.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:26 pm

bob wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:22 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Shirley not the expression of the American ideal, but likely constitutional. Due process (generally) requires that the rules be rational and notice of the rules be given. "One question per, no uninvited follow-ups" is reasonable (legally) because it furthers the purpose of an orderly press conference.
Ok, but what if (reporter) asks a question about the caravan and (press secy) rambles on about illegal immigrants stealing jobs? The question wasn't answered. Would that matter?

ImageImageImage x4

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm

bob wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:22 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
One caveat:
I think it's likely constitutional on its face, but they'll probably need to apply it consistently.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:26 pm
Ok, but what if (reporter) asks a question about the caravan and (press secy) rambles on about illegal immigrants stealing jobs? The question wasn't answered. Would that matter?
Nope. Remember: Even being called on is discretionary. A reporter could be issued a hard pass, :mememe: through an entire administration yet never be called upon, and there would be no constitutional violation.
Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm
I think it's likely constitutional on its face, but they'll probably need to apply it consistently.
True. And woe to the reporter who says, "I have one question ... with thirty-seven subparts."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Nothing in the new rules about decorum?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm
Aw, schitt. I forgot to check.

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Actually, I think a "one question only" rule might encourage collusion among White House correspondents. As in, you ask question 1 and, based on the response, I'll ask follow-up question 2, and based on the response to that correspondent 3 will ask follow-up question 3, and so on...

I think a group of like-minded reporters could pull it off. It would be fun to see.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:00 pm
Kendra wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm
Aw, schitt. I forgot to check.
I like how you spelled that. :dance:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Apparently CNN said "fine, we're going back to court", and then someone at the WH blinked, or maybe actually thought a bit, and said, "ah, we're just kidding" and dropped the whole ban thing. Or at least as is so now being reported.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “Media & Social Media”