CNN and Abilio James Acosta v. Donald Trump, et. al., USDC-DC

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but I will post the complaint and correct the title as documents become available.

CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

Complaint

Thanks to NMgirl:
Plaintiffs Request for Hearing on TRO

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

bob

Re: CNN and Abilio James Acosta v. Donald Trump, et. al., USDC

Post by bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Complaint alleges violations of the First and Fifth Amendments, as well as the APA.

Gibson Dunn represents Acosta; although he didn't sign the complaint, Ted Olson is listed as a counsel. :popcorn:

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

A free source for other documents is as yet unavailable, at least to me. I just have this to contribute at the moment.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Order.html
(TRO Emergency Hearing requested by plaintiffs.)

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just going to ask if we should have one just so Foggy would have to move bunches of comments again :swoon:

ACLU: "It is un-American and unlawful for the president to expel a reporter from the White House briefing room for doing his job. It shouldn’t take a lawsuit from CNN to remind the president of the First Amendment. The White House should reverse its decision immediately."
:?: Since other WH staff are named like Sarah Succubus, who defends them? DOJ attorneys?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: CNN and Abilio James Acosta v. Donald Trump, et. al., USDC-DC

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Trump ranting about how Ted Olson has the biggest conflict of interest anyone has ever seen because Trump wanted to hire him for his Russia team and Olson told him to kick rocks in 3, 2, 1...

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Yes, the DOJ will defend. (Just like it did when Klayman sued Clinton.)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm

CNN was granted a hearing tomorrow by Judge Timothy J. Kelly on their request for a TRO.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Press Sec is now spinning the story that his credentials weren't pulled over the "assault" but for some other bullshit

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

DZ Bill

Post by DZ Bill » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Good on CNN ...on the other hand they shouldn't be suing the Secret Service agent who took the pass, poor guy was just doing his job.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:34 pm
Press Sec is now spinning the story that his credentials weren't pulled over the "assault" but for some other bullshit
Yeah she said he wouldn't let go of the mic

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
WaPo:
Press Sec wrote:After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions — each of which the President answered — he physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions. This was not the first time this reporter has inappropriately refused to yield to other reporters.

The White House cannot run an orderly and fair press conference when a reporter acts this way, which is neither appropriate nor professional. The First Amendment is not served when a single reporter, of more than 150 present, attempts to monopolize the floor. If there is no check on this type of behavior it impedes the ability of the President, the White House staff, and members of the media to conduct business.”
The ole "failure to yield." :roll:

Due process, of course, is not very interested in post-hoc rationalizations.

DZ Bill wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm
Good on CNN ...on the other hand they shouldn't be suing the Secret Service agent who took the pass, poor guy was just doing his job.
He's being sued in his official capacity (meaning the DOJ will defend him). And he's a necessary party because he knows who gave him the order.

CJ Roberts

Post by CJ Roberts » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Turtle wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm
Flatpointhigh wrote:
Yeah she said he wouldn't let go of the mic
Based on how crazed he got Trump, he should have dropped the mic.

You're the kind of lawyer guilty people hire.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:27 pm

THREAD: What should we make of the CNN lawsuit against the Trump Administration for revoking @Acosta's credentials?
Edit: Formatting, to quote.
(Disclaimer: I'm a CNN Legal Analyst, but have no inside knowledge of the suit.)
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1062 ... 04227.html

Could be fun tomorrow, once again will Donny's hateful words come back to bite him? Will he :crying: :crying: :crying: when the judge appointed by him rule against him?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:04 pm

New:: The AP; Bloomberg; First Look; Fox News; Gannett; National Press Club; NBC News; The New York Times; Politico; Press Freedom Defense Fund; E.W. Scripps; USA Today; and The Washington Post have filed joint friend-of-the-court briefs to support CNN’s and Jim Acosta’s lawsuit.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

White House response to CNN lawsuit:
Trump has “broad discretion” to regulate journalists' access:

• “No journalist has a First Amendment right to enter the White House.”

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I can see and understand why they filed the suit, and I have to say I don't blame them in the least. It is also pointless, legally I don't think they have a leg to stand on, but that may very well NOT be the main reason. The first real issue here is that they are facing a President, and a Vice President for that matter, Press Secretary, and White House that has precisely and exactly NO more respect for the First Amendment than it does for any other part of the Constitution, or the laws of this land in general.

I would hope and think that they, and more importantly their lawyers, are smart enough to know this will go precisely no where, but are instead using it for a stalking horse, I think is the term, to get it all out in front of the public. I don't know how much good it will do but you never know.

I wish them all luck for what good it may do.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I do think they have a significant leg to stand on. And those who have weighed in, including Judge Pirro, say CNN has a strong legal argument/

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm
I do think they have a significant leg to stand on. And those who have weighed in, including Judge Pirro, say CNN has a strong legal argument/
For realz, did I read that right?

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm
I can see and understand why they filed the suit, and I have to say I don't blame them in the least. It is also pointless, legally I don't think they have a leg to stand on, but that may very well NOT be the main reason. The first real issue here is that they are facing a President, and a Vice President for that matter, Press Secretary, and White House that has precisely and exactly NO more respect for the First Amendment than it does for any other part of the Constitution, or the laws of this land in general.

I would hope and think that they, and more importantly their lawyers, are smart enough to know this will go precisely no where, but are instead using it for a stalking horse, I think is the term, to get it all out in front of the public. I don't know how much good it will do but you never know.

I wish them all luck for what good it may do.
Yes "Stalking horse" may well describe it... especially if you are Hunting fowl (foul) in the White House.

stalking horse
noun
noun: stalking horse; plural noun: stalking horses
a person or thing that is used to conceal someone's real intentions.
"you have used me simply as a stalking horse for some of your more outrageous views"
a candidate in an election for the leadership of a political party who stands only in order to provoke the election and thus allow a stronger candidate to come forward.
modifier noun: stalking-horse
"a stalking-horse challenge"
a screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter may stay concealed when stalking prey.
Origin
early 16th century: from the former practice of using a horse trained to allow a fowler to hide behind it, or under its coverings, until within easy range of prey.

bob

Post by bob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 pm

SLQ wrote:
I do think they have a significant leg to stand on.
The shell of the nut:

1. CNN (& Friends) argue that pressers are "limited public fora." That is, once the White House has decided to open the pressers to credentialed journalists, there is actually a First Amendment right to be there. (This is different, however, from the discretion regarding which journalist to call upon, to sit with for interviews, etc.)

2. As such, revoking a press credential carries a modicum of due process, i.e., a basis for the decision, and an opportunity to challenge it. The initial stated reason ("putting hands on an intern") was false; the courts do not look kindly on baseless government actions; ditto with post-hoc rationalizations. (Unless it is a power expressly delegated to the executive, i.e., immigration, national security, etc. -- then chaos may reign.)

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 pm
SLQ wrote:
For realz, did I read that right?
Yes. However, it was Judge Napalitano. Same difference. I’m on my phone and can’t link easily, but this is currently the lead story on CNN.

“Many media law experts, unaffiliated with CNN, believe the network has a very strong case.
Judge Andrew Napolitano, the top legal analyst on Trump's favorite network, Fox News, said the same thing on Tuesday. "I think this will be resolved quickly," he said, adding "I think it will either be settled or CNN will prevail on motion." “

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/media/tr ... index.html

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks SLQ :bighug:

I think Brandi @ Courthouse News is going to keep us updated. https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS

bob

Post by bob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm
I think Brandi @ Courthouse News is going to keep us updated. https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS
The government's opposition to the TRO:
The stated rationale for the revocation of Mr. Acosta’s pass—that he was disrupting press proceedings—is evident from the video he has proffered, is entirely viewpoint- and content-neutral, and clears this limited bar.
:roll:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Asking questions at a press conference is disrupting? :roll:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Of course, every serious Freedom of the Press case is really just an opportunity for a "just ask your mom" pun joke.

https://twitter.com/AndyGilder/status/1 ... 8651092995

Jason Schwartz @JasonSchwartz
43m43 minutes ago

Acosta is at the CNN lawsuit hearing here at Washington District Court. Just walked into the courtroom. A guy in a blue jacket said to him, “Acosta, you should be lawfully hung.”

@AndyGilderReplying to @JasonSchwartz @worgztheowl

The appropriate response is "Sir, I am legally hung. Just ask your mother"
12:20 PM - 14 Nov 2018

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Return to “Media & Social Media”