Is there a middle ground anymore?

Chilidog

Is there a middle ground anymore?

Post by Chilidog »

I've been in a bit of a cantankerous mood lately with my surgery coming up tomorrow.

I (used to) post a lot on Disqus comment threads.

This week I got banned from the BREAKING NEWS forum for pointing out their hypocrisy in allowing Brietbart style opeds by far right nut jobs

Today I got booted from Raw Story because I dared to object to the online lynching related to the story about the teacher in Goose Creek NC.

I really hate people right now.

Patagoniagirl

Re: Is there a middle ground anymore?

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm with ya brother. I recently voluntarily deleted.my.FB account because I feel viciously ugly lately. I chose to keep TFB, and The NYT's and a Solitaire game. I don't trust myself with much else.

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Nope. Not even here.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

To me, "middle ground" and "middle of the road" mean support for the status quo. I've never been in support of that. If you want to accomplish change, you have to choose a side. If you oppose change, you have to choose a side.

I think there's a lot that needs fixing, so I'm not in support of the middle ground. Some compromise is always necessary, but in times like these, compromise means the Democrats going Republican Lite yet again. That's been the status quo for most of my adult life and I'm sick of it.
I've heard this bull before.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

There is a middle ground, if the ground in the middle is about people and not ideology.

There's too much kkorporate money in government.

There's too much lying in what used to be the news media.

There's not enough concern for the human affected by both of those points.

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pm
To me, "middle ground" and "middle of the road" mean support for the status quo. I've never been in support of that. If you want to accomplish change, you have to choose a side. If you oppose change, you have to choose a side.

I think there's a lot that needs fixing, so I'm not in support of the middle ground. Some compromise is always necessary, but in times like these, compromise means the Democrats going Republican Lite yet again. That's been the status quo for most of my adult life and I'm sick of it.
I would respectfully submit that "middle of the road" doesn't mean support for the status quo, but rather, finding a way to work together to solve problems, even if both sides have to give a little. This often works well in other countries; however in the US one side in particular is so entrenched, they refuse to give any ground; which automatically rules out compromise and instead forces the other side to cede ground in order to accomplish anything. While it may be a very good strategy at getting your own way in the end (as any frustrated, fed-up mother of a 2 year old knows) it is an appallingly horrible way to run a country.

Return to “Media & Social Media”