Human Interest Stories

kate520

Re: Human Interest Stories

Post by kate520 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm
kate520 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:30 pm
I’ve listened to it several times on many platforms. I read an article. I think there’s some kind of trickery.

I heard Laurel every time but one. The one time I heard them both at the same time. I’d listened to that particular clip 3 times already and had only heard Laurel.

Trickery.
It's prequel to the alien invasion. They are testing our abilities to distinguish sound patterns so they can confuse our military response. One group will here this, and another group will hear that, zero coordination in the defensive actions, and ouila - aliens take over with little or no losses on their side. Credo quia absurdum.
:lol:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

vic

Post by vic » Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 am

The New York Times had a nice interactive page:
We Made a Tool So You Can Hear Both Yanny and Laurel
By JOSH KATZ, JONATHAN CORUM and JON HUANG MAY 16, 2018

The internet erupted in disagreement on Tuesday over an audio clip in which the name being said depends on the listener. Some hear “Laurel.” Others hear “Yanny.”

We built a tool to gradually accentuate different frequencies in the original audio clip. Which word or name do you hear, and how far do you have to move the slider to hear the other? (The slider’s center point represents the original recording.)
When you find the critical point where your interpretation changes, you can submit the information to them.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

vic wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 am
The New York Times had a nice interactive page:
We Made a Tool So You Can Hear Both Yanny and Laurel
By JOSH KATZ, JONATHAN CORUM and JON HUANG MAY 16, 2018

The internet erupted in disagreement on Tuesday over an audio clip in which the name being said depends on the listener. Some hear “Laurel.” Others hear “Yanny.”

We built a tool to gradually accentuate different frequencies in the original audio clip. Which word or name do you hear, and how far do you have to move the slider to hear the other? (The slider’s center point represents the original recording.)
When you find the critical point where your interpretation changes, you can submit the information to them.
Wow. Now, that was cool! Thank you. Slide the bar all the way to the left towards Laurel, and I finally heard Laurel out of my laptop speakers. Slide it back, and I hear Yanny. Slide it left .... and I still hear Yanny. Slide it all the way right ... Yanny gets muddied, back to the left, and Laurel is back. Oh no... wait ... can't tell ...

That's when I put the headphones on with a cable to the headphone jack rather than Bluetooth. Then I could toggle between devices quickly. Badda bing badda boom - that made the difference. Slider centered - Yanny in headphones and speakers. Slider two clicks left towards Laurel - headphones have Laurel, and laptop speakers have Yanny at the same time. I can park one of the muffs behind my ear to listen to the laptop speakers and the headphones at the same time, and there are distinctly two different words.

No apparent difference in my ears. I experience the the same transition point on the slider for both ears - two clicks left, and it's Laurel in the headphones while still Yanny in the laptop. That suggests the speakers themselves lend to the confusion. My hearing, my speakers, my experience. Your hearing, your speakers, your experience.

Not bad for some high school kids goofing around with audio files.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 am

:mrgreen:

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri May 18, 2018 6:16 am

The initial 'S' is a little unusual, but that clearly says "Suranis"! :-D

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat May 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun May 20, 2018 8:04 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:38 pm
Collusion or Corruption?
:lol:

And I appreciate the Trump WH going along with the joke - "I only hear covfefe".

Return to “Media & Social Media”