Re: Media Moves

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 am

:lol:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm

New York Mag
Wall Street Journal Killed Editorial on Trump’s Mob Ties

In a short period of time, five staffers have departed The Wall Street Journal editorial page. The general cause of their departures, willing and otherwise, is known: the Journal editorial line has increasingly conformed with the pro-Trump dictates of the rest of the Murdoch media empire. (Most recently, Journal editorials, which once presented Ken Starr as the last hope to preserve the rule of law, have fomented various right-wing conspiracy theories about Robert Mueller and called for his firing.)

Sam Tanenhaus, deep into his excellent story on the dwindling band of anti-Trump conservative intellectuals, reports more specifically on the circumstances surrounding their departure. As Trump’s chances of winning the nomination grew, the paper buried an editorial highlighting his underworld connections:
Those were heavy losses in pages whose content is managed by fewer than thirty people in total. And the reason, according to several defectors, was the Journal’s skidding reversal once Rupert Murdoch realized Trump could win. Several sources pointed to the editorials by one writer, James Freeman. “All-in for Ted Cruz” during the primaries, Freeman wrote a strong attack on Trump’s Mob dealings, and had a second ready to go. But as Trump got closer to clinching the nomination, Paul Gigot kept delaying publication, saying “it needed work.” Once Trump became the likely Republican nominee, Freeman executed a neat volte-face. “The facts suggest that Mrs. Clinton is more likely to abuse liberties than Mr. Trump,” he wrote. “America managed to survive Mr. Clinton’s two terms, so it can stand the far less vulgar Mr. Trump."
(Trump’s Mafia connections are the sort of scandal that would have killed an ordinary candidacy but barely even register on the outsize scale of Trump scandals.)

To be sure, the Journal has continued to voice occasional criticisms of the president. But the chidings have been gentle, and reserved for the sources of frustration shared by Trump’s own staff and legislative allies: He tweets too much, he expresses his racism a little too bluntly. On the subject of the president’s authoritarianism and contempt for governing norms, the Journal now runs interference with the same gusto as Fox News.
Adding:
Esquire - Sam Tanenhaus: On the Front Lines of the GOP's Civil War

¡Sterngard! come home.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 am

This is the same channel that I shut off last night when I heard that Peggy Noonon was going to be on at 11 PM. (Okay, I can't stand Brian Williams so I wouldn't have watched it anyway, but the comment that she would be on just made me reach for the remote all that much faster.)

https://crooksandliars.com/2017/12/fram ... joan-walsh
MSNBC, the allegedly "liberal" news channel, notified Joan Walsh that they are terminating her contract as a contributor. (Full disclosure: I am longtime friends with Joan, from her days at Salon). The reason the MSNBC executives gave to her agent were "budgetary" concerns.
:madguy:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 am
This is the same channel that I shut off last night when I heard that Peggy Noonon was going to be on at 11 PM. (Okay, I can't stand Brian Williams so I wouldn't have watched it anyway, but the comment that she would be on just made me reach for the remote all that much faster.)

https://crooksandliars.com/2017/12/fram ... joan-walsh
MSNBC, the allegedly "liberal" news channel, notified Joan Walsh that they are terminating her contract as a contributor. (Full disclosure: I am longtime friends with Joan, from her days at Salon). The reason the MSNBC executives gave to her agent were "budgetary" concerns.
:madguy:
CNN grabbed her up right away.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of CNN, so I'll miss her. :(

Actually, I'm not a big fan of MSNBC either these days; watch a lot less than I used to.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Nathan Bernard
@nathanTbernard
Jack Posobiec tried using @bumble_app to cheat on his wife then got banned from the platform. What a fucking loser lmao @jackposobiec
Rick Wilson

@TheRickWilson
I strongly encourage no one retweet this. It would be so wrong if this got RTed, say 2000 times. Very very wrong and sad.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:36 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ys-twitter
Social media reacts to brief disappearance of Hannity's Twitter account

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Report: Christie Going To ABC

According to a report on NJ.com, former Governor Chris Christie is headed to ABC as an occasional contributor. An announcement is scheduled for Tuesday morning on ‘Good Morning America’.
https://www.insidernj.com/report-christie-going-abc/

That is all at that link. It is a "trending" story on Facebook. Don't wanna bother opening and reading other links right now.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Dolly wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm
Report: Christie Going To ABC

According to a report on NJ.com, former Governor Chris Christie is headed to ABC as an occasional contributor. An announcement is scheduled for Tuesday morning on ‘Good Morning America’.
https://www.insidernj.com/report-christie-going-abc/

That is all at that link. It is a "trending" story on Facebook. Don't wanna bother opening and reading other links right now.
:twisted: How will he get his inspirations now that he no longer can lounge on the reserved state shore line ?

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 pm

LA Times
Billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong reaches deal to buy L.A. Times and San Diego Union-Tribune

For more than a century, one family owned the Los Angeles Times and used the newspaper to build great wealth and exert political influence over how the city would take shape.

But over the years, the Chandler family — descendants of hard-charging Civil War veteran Gen. Harrison Gray Otis, who bought the paper in 1884 — became increasingly fractured and disenchanted with the newspaper business. In 2000, they sold Times Mirror Co. to Chicago-based Tribune Co., thrusting it into a protracted, 18-year battle with its out-of-town owners.

On Wednesday, The Times' corporate parent, Tronc, announced that it had reached a deal to sell The Times, the San Diego Tribune, community newspapers and Spanish-language Hoy, to L.A. biotech billionaire Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong. His investment firm, Nant Capital, agreed to pay $500 million for the Southern California papers and it will assume $90 million in pension liabilities.

The sale will bring a return to local ownership and possibly some stability for a 136-year-old institution that, in recent years, has lagged behind its better-resourced rivals on the East Coast. It caps a particularly stormy period for the newspaper, which has seen three editors in six months, its publisher placed on unpaid leave amid a sexual harassment investigation and a historic vote to unionize the newsroom.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 09cf701367
Sinclair Broadcast Group solicits its news directors for its political fundraising efforts

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 am

After a Twitter Storm, The Times and a New Hire Part Ways

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/busi ... times.html
On Tuesday afternoon, The New York Times announced that it had hired Quinn Norton, a journalist and an essayist known for her work at Wired magazine, as the editorial board’s lead opinion writer on technology.

On Tuesday evening, Ms. Norton said in a Twitter post that she would no longer be joining The Times.

Between the two statements, a social media storm had erupted, with Ms. Norton at the center of it, because of her use of slurs on Twitter and her friendship with Andrew Auernheimer, who gained infamy as an internet troll going by the name “weev.” Mr. Auernheimer now works for The Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website.

The Twitter campaign against Ms. Norton focused on a tweet from October in which she said that “weev is a terrible person, & an old friend of mine.” It also turned up years-old tweets by Ms. Norton in which she used slurs against gay people and another in which she retweeted a racial slur.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Fox News launching digital streaming service for ‘superfans’
Fox News is preparing to launch an online-only streaming service for “superfans”, The New York Times reported on Monday.

The stand-alone subscription service, dubbed “Fox Nation,” will focus on right-leaning commentary and feature hours of original daily programming, including new anchors, fresh commentators and original shows. The digital product will also have some cameos from current Fox New stars including Sean Hannity, according to the Times.

Fox News is supposed to make an official announcement on Tuesday unveiling the streaming service, which is expected to be up and running by the end of the year.

The cost of a subscription to view the web-only television programming is still being discussed, according to the Times, though a cable package will not be needed in order to subscribe.

“Fox Nation is designed to appeal to the Fox superfan,” John Finley, who oversees program development and production for Fox News, told the Times. “These are the folks who watch Fox News every night for hours at a time, the dedicated audience that really wants more of what we have to offer.”

Fox News is diving into the digital space after experiencing its highest-rated year in 2017, thanks in part to one of its biggest fans — President Trump — being elected to the Oval Office. <snip>
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/37457 ... -superfans

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 pm

:shock:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 am

:sick:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 am

Newsweek: Why Is the Manhattan DA Looking at Newsweek’s Ties to a Christian University?

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 am

Addie wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 am
Newsweek: Why Is the Manhattan DA Looking at Newsweek’s Ties to a Christian University?
To note: it's about the Newsweek Media Group., not the publication ifself.

The above article has also cross references to further articles going back to early Janiary 2018.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Judge dismisses coal mogul’s defamation lawsuit against John Oliver
A West Virginia judge dismissed a coal mogul’s defamation lawsuit this week against cable television host John Oliver and HBO.

In a decision dated Wednesday, West Virginia Judge Jeffrey Cramer accepted HBO’s argument that Bob Murray, CEO of coal mining giant Murray Energy Corp., failed to show that Oliver had defamed him according to the law.

Oliver dedicated an extended segment in June to criticizing the coal industry, with a focus on Murray, including his frequent criticisms of former President Barack Obama’s “evil agenda,” his lawsuits challenging regulations and his closeness with President Trump.
Murray sent Oliver a cease-and-desist letter before the show aired and threatened to sue him, taking the case up to the Supreme Court. Instead, Oliver dug in. <snipped some digs>
HBO strenuously fought the claims.

“The fact that Murray found this speech embarrassing or disagreeable does not remove it from the broad protection of the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has stated time and again that the type of speech at issue here — news and commentary about public figures and issues of public importance — ‘occupies the highest rung of the hierarchy of First Amendment values, and is entitled to special protection,’” the company said in asking the West Virginia judge to dismiss the case.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ohn-oliver

most of the posts are in this thread. There are 3 posts in "ACLU files Amicus Brief re: John Oliver"
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... =31&t=9929&

bob

Post by bob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Patheos: Suit Against John Oliver Dismissed:
The court said that the information that Murray claimed was defamatory were either true (an absolute defense against defamation) or satirical, also protected speech. Oliver laughed this suit off from the start, as he should have. He could have hired Larry Klayman as his lawyer and still won that suit.
The commenters do not agree with the last sentence.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Dolly wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:16 pm
Judge dismisses coal mogul’s defamation lawsuit against John Oliver
A West Virginia judge dismissed a coal mogul’s defamation lawsuit this week against cable television host John Oliver and HBO.
:snippity:
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ohn-oliver

most of the posts are in this thread. There are 3 posts in "ACLU files Amicus Brief re: John Oliver"
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... =31&t=9929&

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am

Associated Press
PBS launching new conservative political talk show

NEW YORK (AP) - PBS is bringing some more conservative political voices to the mix.

It is starting a new talk show in April hosted by columnist Michael Gerson and commentator Amy Holmes. The new program, titled "In Principle," is modeled after William F. Buckley's long-running show "Firing Line."

The hosts plan to interview two guests each show, hoping for an in-depth discussion on issues and formative political experiences. Gerson says the Trump era has been a difficult time for traditional conservative discussion. But he says when he travels the country, he finds people who yearn for serious discussions instead of the bitter fighting they often see on cable TV.

The series premieres on April 13, and PBS has committed to an eight-week run to start.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:59 am

Daily Beast
Roy Moore Consultants’ New Project: A Conspiracy-Theorizing Pro-Trump News Site

Veterans of failed Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore’s campaign have quietly taken on their next venture: ownership of a right-wing news site run by a former Breitbart writer who’s called Alex Jones “my Walter Cronkite.”

The site, Big League Politics, is a notable outpost of pro-Trump viewpoints and anti-liberal conspiracy theories on the internet. Its editorial division is run by Patrick Howley, a former writer for prominent conservative news sites such as Breitbart News, the Daily Caller, and the Washington Free Beacon.

Since its founding, Big League Politics (BLP) has been a standalone corporate entity. But earlier this year, it was acquired by Mustard Seed Media, a company run by a political consultant who previously worked for Moore’s campaign.

A merging of an ostensible news website with a political operation doesn’t happen every day, and for good reason. Under its new ownership, Big League Politics will be in a position to cover high-profile political figures that are simultaneously paying consulting fees to the site’s new owners.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

New York Times proofreaders wanted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/p ... facts.html
Correction: March 6, 2018
Because of an editing error involving a satirical text-swapping web browser extension, an earlier version of this article misquoted a passage from an article by the Times reporter Jim Tankersley. The sentence referred to America’s narrowing trade deficit during “the Great Recession,” not during “the Time of Shedding and Cold Rocks.” (Pro tip: Disable your “Millennials to Snake People” extension when copying and pasting.)

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Return to “Media & Social Media”