Media Moves

TollandRCR

Re: Media Moves

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 am

This is a Breitbart story, so I hold belief in reserve. OTOH, Breitbart is where this story would first appear.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:45 pm

A month after his online media company filed for bankruptcy, Gawker Media founder Nick Denton is preparing to do the same.

Denton could take the action as early as this week, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The move comes after a federal judge on Tuesday denied Denton's bid to be shielded from Hulk Hogan, who was awarded $140.1 million by a Florida jury earlier this year in an invasion of privacy lawsuit against Gawker.

Denton and his company were both named in Hogan's suit, and the staggering judgment threatened to bring financial ruin to Denton's company.

In June, days after it was revealed that Hogan's lawsuit (as well as others against Gawker) had been funded by the Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel, Gawker filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, setting up an auction process that will culminate with the sale of the company.

The tech publisher Ziff Davis has submitted a bid of $90 million, which sets the floor for the court-supervised auction.

In a statement on Tuesday, Denton said the sale will leave Gawker's websites "sheltered under new ownership." Thiel, Denton added, "will have nothing to show for his petty grudge other than legal expenses and a reputation for thin skin."
<SNIP>
http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/19/media/g ... ankruptcy/

Gawker founder may file for personal bankruptcy this week, source says

Nick Denton may be filing for personal bankruptcy this week, after a judge denied a lawsuit shield for the Gawker founder in the Hulk Hogan case.

Gawker is weighing whether to appeal the ruling, according to a source. If it decides not to, Denton will file for bankruptcy this week.

In a Tuesday statement, Denton said, "Peter Thiel's vendetta against my company may well require me as well as the company to file for bankruptcy protection until the Florida appeals court can rule on the extraordinary $140 million judgment."

Denton said that he is now refocusing on the sale of Gawker and "maintaining the value of the business." <SNIP>
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/19/gawker-f ... -says.html
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:11 am

Wow. Preview of "The Cyberspace Administration of Trump"?
China Bans Internet News Reporting as Media Crackdown Widens
Bloomberg News July 25, 2016 — 12:25 AM EDT
Updated on July 25, 2016 — 5:54 AM EDT

China’s top internet regulator ordered major online companies including Sina Corp. and Tencent Holdings Ltd. to stop original news reporting, the latest effort by the government to tighten its grip over the country’s web and information industries.

The Cyberspace Administration of China imposed the ban on several major news portals, including Sohu.com Inc. and NetEase Inc., Chinese media reported in identically worded articles citing an unidentified official from the agency’s Beijing office. The companies have “seriously violated” internet regulations by carrying plenty of news content obtained through original reporting, causing “huge negative effects,” according to a report that appeared in The Paper on Sunday.

The agency instructed the operators of mobile and online news services to dismantle “current-affairs news” operations on Friday, after earlier calling a halt to such activity at Tencent, according to people familiar with the situation. Like its peers, Asia’s largest internet company had developed a news operation and grown its team. Henceforth, they and other services can only carry reports provided by government-controlled print or online media, the people said, asking not to be identified because the issue is politically sensitive.

The sweeping ban gives authorities near-absolute control over online news and political discourse, in keeping with a broader crackdown on information increasingly distributed over the web and mobile devices. President Xi Jinping has stressed that Chinese media must serve the interests of the ruling Communist Party.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... n-tightens
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Yes.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 pm

http://gawker.com/gawker-com-to-end-ope ... 1785455712
After nearly fourteen years of operation, Gawker.com will be shutting down next week. The decision to close Gawker comes days after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites, and four months after the Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel revealed his clandestine legal campaign (http://gawker.com/this-is-why-billionai ... 1778734026) against the company.

Nick Denton, the company’s outgoing CEO, informed current staffers of the site’s fate on Thursday afternoon, just hours before a bankruptcy court in Manhattan will decide whether to approve Univision’s bid for Gawker Media’s other assets. Staffers will soon be assigned to other editorial roles, either at one of the other six sites or elsewhere within Univision. Near-term plans for Gawker.com’s coverage, as well as the site’s archives, have not yet been finalized.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 am

Has Hugh Hewitt become a Trump surrogate?

He's supposed to be a commentator, and he was abused by Trump earlier this year when he asked Trump tough questions, but MSNBC continues to inflict Hewitt on us and Hewitt sounds just like a Trump surrogate. When asked a question about Trump's positions, Hewitt refuses to answer and instead dumps on Hillary Clinton. Just like a Trump surrogate.

Bonus: He teaches law at Chapman, just like Ronald McDonald Rotunda.

MSNBC needs to stop featuring Hewitt. He's no longer a commentator.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Has Hugh Hewitt become a Trump surrogate?

He's supposed to be a commentator, and he was abused by Trump earlier this year when he asked Trump tough questions, but MSNBC continues to inflict Hewitt on us and Hewitt sounds just like a Trump surrogate. When asked a question about Trump's positions, Hewitt refuses to answer and instead dumps on Hillary Clinton. Just like a Trump surrogate.

Bonus: He teaches law at Chapman, just like Ronald McDonald Rotunda.

MSNBC needs to stop featuring Hewitt. He's no longer a commentator.
ITA. Hewitt knows better, but cannot shake HDS.

While they are at it, Tweety needs to go. He's getting worse and worse and I'm guessing his demographic is the 70 and over set (sorry!)
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:39 pm

Charles Osgood to Leave CBS Show ‘Sunday Morning’ After 22 Years
Charles Osgood, whose distinct voice and dapper broadcasting style has made the CBS show “Sunday Morning” a weekly ritual for many viewers, will be leaving at the end of September after 22 years as the program’s anchor.

News of his departure comes after months of speculation. On Sunday, Mr. Osgood, who is 83, used a part of the “Sunday Morning” broadcast to tell his viewers that the rumors were true.

“For years now, people, even friends and family, have been asking me why I keep doing this, considering my age,” Mr. Osgood said. “I am pushing 84. It’s just that it’s been a joy doing it.”

He added: “It’s been a great run, but after nearly 50 years at CBS, including the last 22 years here on ‘Sunday Morning,’ the time has come, and a date is set for me to do my farewell ‘Sunday Morning.’” The farewell broadcast will be on Sept. 25.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm

This means he'll drop dead within weeks after leaving. Prior examples: Morley Safer and Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:02 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:This means he'll drop dead within weeks after leaving. Prior examples: Morley Safer and Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes.
The risk of death after retirement is heightened unless the person has something else to go on to do next. I have a friend who opened a small publishing house after retiring from the English department. He's doing fine.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:00 am

Greta Van Susteren is leaving Fox News, effective immediately:

http://www.businessinsider.com/greta-va ... ews-2016-9

For reasons unknown at this time...

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:06 am

Good riddance. Another so-called lawyer who didn't impress me even when she did OJ news.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:12 am

FOX settled with Gretchen Carlson.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 am

:like:

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

MRich wrote:Greta Van Susteren is leaving Fox News, effective immediately:

http://www.businessinsider.com/greta-va ... ews-2016-9

For reasons unknown at this time...
Greta Van Susteren abruptly leaves Fox News
No reasons were given in the Fox News announcement for Van Susteren's departure, and she did not immediately respond to a direct message seeking comment.

A source close to the situation said it was a financial disagreement that led to Van Susteren's departure.

"On Thursday night, I made my decision and informed Fox News of my decision that I was leaving Fox News Channel per my contract," Van Susteren wrote on her Facebook page Tuesday. "Fox has not felt like home to me for a few years and I took advantage of the clause in my contract which allows me to leave now. The clause had a time limitation, meaning I could not wait."

In July, Van Susteren told The Daily Beast in a piece defending former Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes that she had a long-term contract but would be happy returning to teaching or law if she loses that contract.

"My contract is with the corporation," she said at the time. "I'm not trying to get a new one."
http://www.politico.com/media/story/201 ... ews-004744

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:35 pm

She's probably preparing to join Roger Ailes' new channel, which will be led by Steve Bannon. Some have suggested they will take over Newsmax's TV channel, which is already in place on numerous cable and satellite operations. :eek2:
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am

Politico
'Profitable' Washington Post adding more than five dozen journalists

Twenty-sixteen was the year The Washington Post came of age — again. In its audience growth, in the ambitiousness of its journalism, in its impact on the American conversation, the Post became the U.S.’s fourth national newspaper company, joining The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today.

Now, come 2017, the Post seems to be doing something unique in daily journalism: It is adding journalists early in the year.

“We’re adding dozens of journalists,” Fred Ryan, the Post’s publisher and CEO, told me late last week. Ryan, in a recent memo, said the Post was “profitable and growing.”

“We looked at what succeeded for us in 2016 and made investments there,” he says. Ryan doesn’t want to specify the exact number of hires or how they will be apportioned. “We’re still rolling this out internally.”

Still, according to sources, we can figure that the Post newsroom will grow by more than 60 jobs — or 8 percent — an astounding number in this day and age. Such contrarian additions, of course, come at a time when newsroom staff reductions are the rule across daily journalism.

The Post newsroom will number more than 750, third among the national newspaper-based press and moving it closer to the Times, with which it increasingly competes for high-end talent. The Times complement stands at about 1,307, the company says. USA Today’s newsroom stands at about 450, while the Journal, after its recent buyouts, tells me it employs 1,500.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:46 pm

The Hill
Megyn Kelly to leave Fox News for NBC: report

Anchor Megyn Kelly has decided to leave Fox News to take a position at NBC, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Kelly will take a “triple role” at NBC, the report said — hosting a daytime news and discussion show, anchoring a Sunday night news show, and being a central part of the network’s special coverage of politics and other big events.

Kelly was the second-most-watched anchor on cable news, behind only Fox’s Bill O’Reilly.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:54 pm

How long before Trump disses her about going to a "loser network"?
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 pm

The Atlantic
Conflict Over Trump Forces Out an Opinion Editor at The Wall Street Journal

The Wall Street Journal’s editorial features editor has left the paper following tensions over the section drifting in a pro-Donald Trump direction.

News of the departure of Mark Lasswell, who edited op-eds for the Journal, comes as the paper’s internal tensions over Trump have begun to spill into public view. The reliably hawkish, pro-trade, small government conservative Journal op-ed page has been challenged by the rise of the populist, nationalist Trump movement. The Journal’s opinion pages have been a showcase for the intra-right divide over Trump, featuring Trump-sympathetic writers like Bill McGurn alongside anti-Trump columnists such as Bret Stephens. Lasswell appears to be a casualty of that divide, and his dismissal a victory for the pro-Trump faction on the editorial staff.

According to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation, Lasswell was in effect phased out over a period of months from the paper. He took a book leave during the election following conflict with his boss Paul Gigot, the editorial page director, about the extent to which the page should run material sympathetic to Trump. ...

According to a source close to Lasswell, the relationship between Lasswell and Gigot broke down in June when Gigot blocked Lasswell from publishing op-eds critical of Trump’s business practices and which raised questions about his alleged ties to Mafia figures. Lasswell asked Gigot for a book leave for the remainder of the election. Gigot, who had been critical of Trump, took a “sudden turn” on the candidate, the source said. In a note to staff on July 5, Gigot announced Lasswell’s leave. The note reads in part ...
¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 am

FYI:

The WSJ is closing its paywall loophole, per Digiday's Lucia Moses: "t's turning off Google's first-click free feature that let people skirt the Journal's paywall ... [T]he Journal turned it for off four sections for two weeks, resulting in a dramatic 86 percent jump in subscriptions."
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger announces departure from The Celebrity Apprentice, citing 'baggage'

Add finding a new host for The Celebrity Apprentice to President Trump's long list of things to do. On Friday, host Arnold Schwarzenegger announced he's leaving Trump's former reality TV show.

Schwarzenegger indicated in a statement that he loved everything about working on the show — from the network to producer Mark Burnett to the "celebrities to the crew to the marketing department" — except for one thing:
Arnold Schwarzenegger told NBC he's leaving "The Celebrity Apprentice." Here's his statement:

— John Koblin (@koblin) March 3, 2017

Schwarzenegger doesn't explicitly say what that "baggage" is, but it's not hard to read between the lines. <snip>
http://theweek.com/speedreads/683790/ar ... ng-baggage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm

The Hill
News outlet rising on the right for Russia coverage

Circa News, a millennial-focused media outlet that launched only eight months ago, has been embraced by Republicans for aggressive reporting on Russian meddling in the 2016 election that runs counter to reporting in more mainstream outlets.

For the past week, Circa has been dropping new exclusives on federal investigations into Russian influence on a near-daily basis. Their reporting has coursed through conservative media, where it has been held up as an example of fair and hard-hitting investigative reporting on an issue that has been a flashpoint of controversy between the White House, Congress and the press.

Circa’s Chief Operating Officer John Solomon and national security reporter Sara Carter have appeared on Fox News Channel’s “Hannity” almost every night for the past week, giving the outlet a valuable primetime perch on one of conservative media’s most-watched cable news shows.

Sean Hannity — one of Trump’s biggest boosters in the media — has repeatedly lauded Circa as the gold standard, while blasting its counterparts in the mainstream media as “lazy,” “overpaid” and “dishonest.”

On Thursday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer read a section of one of Carter’s stories from the podium in the briefing room as he made the case that Trump’s inner circle had likely been swept up in surveillance conducted during former President Barack Obama’s administration.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

LA Times
Fox News pulls Judge Napolitano over his Trump wiretap claims

Fox News senior judicial analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano is being kept off the air indefinitely amid the controversy over his unverified claims that British intelligence wiretapped Trump Tower at the behest of former President Obama.

Fox News did not respond to inquiries about Napolitano’s status Monday. Napolitano was conspicuously missing from the network’s coverage of the confirmation hearings on Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch — an event in which he typically would have played a significant role. He has not been on the air since Thursday.

People familiar with the situation who could speak only on the condition of anonymity said Napolitano is not expected to be on Fox News Channel any time soon. Napolitano was not available for comment. ...

But Napolitano said on one program that "Fox News has spoken to intelligence community members who believe that surveillance did occur, that it was done by British intelligence.”

Fox News, however, did no such thing, forcing its anchors to walk back Napolitano’s statement.
¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Addie wrote:LA Times
Fox News pulls Judge Napolitano over his Trump wiretap claims
:snippity: .
A first step. Now Congress ought to pull the plug on Trump. I understand that Pence is not first choice for quite a many, but Trump is a liability and a catastrophe in coming.

Return to “Media & Social Media”