Media Moves

AndyinPA

Re: Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA » Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Roseanne Barr was dropped by her talent agency, ICM Partners, who said her “disgraceful and unacceptable tweet” was “antithetical to our core values, both as individuals and as an agency. Consequently, we have notified her that we will not represent her.”
When will DOTUS come to her rescue?
You mean he hasn't already? Waiting.
:waiting:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Maybe he's waiting to see how Fox spins it?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm

X posting.

It wasn't just one tweet against an African American. I wonder why that is the line that's been thrown about. She actually went off on a series of twits about Various people, including Chelsea Clinton and Soros. That isn't being made clear in the "she was canned for one twit" line the internet is taking.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/05/29/ ... ter-storm/
On the evening of 28 May 2018 and into the early morning hours of the following day, comedian Roseanne Barr kicked off a Twitter storm that included gratuitous insults and the repetition of long-debunked conspiracy theories when she tweeted the phrase “Chelsea Soros Clinton,” a reference to a two-year-old rumor (apparently started by actor Scott Baio) that former first daughter Chelsea Clinton was married to a nephew of Hungarian-American billionaire George Soros:

Chelsea Soros Clinton

— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) May 29, 2018

:snippity:

Chelsea Clinton also issued a humorous tweet to set the record straight about the familial connections of her spouse:

Good morning Roseanne – my given middle name is Victoria. I imagine George Soros’s nephews are lovely people. I’m just not married to one. I am grateful for the important work @OpenSociety does in the world. Have a great day! https://t.co/mXokiTEwN7

— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) May 29, 2018

Unfortunately, Ms. Barr’s tepid apology to Chelsea Clinton presented yet another false Soros-related rumor:

Sorry to have tweeted incorrect info about you!I Please forgive me! By the way, George Soros is a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you aware of that? But, we all make mistakes, right Chelsea?

— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) May 29, 2018

(In fact, George Soros was neither a Nazi collaborator nor an SS officer; he is, however, a constant bugbear in the minds of conspiracy theorists.)

Roseanne then doubled down by tweeting and retweeting more Soros conspiracy theory, as well as a stream of insults directed at CNN political commentator Chris Cillizza, Hillary Clinton, and former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett:

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

vic

Post by vic » Tue May 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm
X posting.

It wasn't just one tweet against an African American. I wonder why that is the line that's been thrown about. She actually went off on a series of twits about Various people, including Chelsea Clinton and Soros. That isn't being made clear in the "she was canned for one twit" line the internet is taking.

:snippity:
Perhaps because while Rosanne has repeatedly tweeted general nastiness, the racism in this tweet is what got ABC's, and others', attention. See also my response on your cross-post.

It's also not the first time Rosanne "quit twitter". I believe she also claimed she'd do that about a week or so ago.
Edit: And ABC News, the news division of the organization which cancelled the show, is reporting that the reason was speciically the racist tweet. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/roseann ... d=55504982

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Tweet thread about how the media in general and the New York Times in Particular, have frozen out Democrats from the news.

Skip 6 tweets with stories and the same number of Dems quoted

i just cited seven Trump-related news articles FROM ONE DAY, which included ZERO quotes from Democratic leaders, members of Congress re: Trump news, from insane pardons, to his insider trading, and bizarre NK 'diplomacy

NYT doesn't care what Dem leaders think of Trump. period

34 replies . 432 retweets 922 likes
Reply 34 Retweet 432 Like 922
Eric Boehlert @EricBoehlert
2h2 hours ago

quick note for those who might say, 'well, GOP runs WH/Congress so that's where the focus should be.'

when Dems ran WH/Congress for few yrs under Obama, NYT and rest of DC press was OBSESSED w/ GOP Congressional attacks on Dems.
Eric Boehlert @EricBoehlert
14m14 minutes ago

and pundits wonder why Dems aren't 'getting their message out'
But it is the Dems fault, right.

And this is the NYT, which is supposed to be one of the GOOD ones.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 am

Vanity Fair: “This Was Lachlan’s Revenge”: As a Murdoch Son Moves to Consolidate His Power, Rupert Says “I’m Still Here”

Rupert thwarted the revenge firing of an old Lachlan adversary—and it’s not the new Fox News’s only problem. “The pro-Trump thing isn’t working,” says an insider.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Political media pays tribute to Fox's Charles Krauthammer after revelation that he only has 'a few weeks to live'
BY JOE CONCHA - 06/08/18 01:22 PM EDT

Tributes for longtime political commentator and columnist Charles Krauthammer came pouring in on Twitter Friday from members of the media after the popular Fox News analyst revealed that he only has "a few weeks to live."

In a letter on Friday, Krauthammer said that he was in the final stages of a losing fight against cancer.

"My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live," Krauthammer, 68, wrote to colleagues, viewers and readers. "This is the final verdict. My fight is over."

Social media reacted with grief over the news, which came just hours after CNN reported the death of 61-year-old Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain apparently died by suicide in his hotel room in France, where he was filming an episode of his show, "Parts Unknown."

Krauthammer, a nightly staple next to anchor Bret Baier on "Special Report," has not been on Fox News since August 2017 after undergoing surgery to remove a tumor in his abdomen.

The former physician was permanently paralyzed from the waist down after a diving accident his freshman year at Harvard Medical School at age 22, though he still went on to graduate.

"I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living," he wrote in the letter released Friday. "I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended."
<snipped bunch of tweets>
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39138 ... ation-that

Charles Krauthammer says he only has a few weeks to live: 'This is the final verdict. My fight is over'
BY JOE CONCHA - 06/08/18 12:36 PM EDT
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39137 ... -the-final

Edit: I wasn't sure where to post this.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm

AT&T wins: Judge clears $85 billion bid for Time Warner with no conditions
U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon did not impose conditions on the merger's approval.

He also urged the government not to seek a stay when issuing his decision in a closed-door room with reporters.
Shares of Time Warner jumped roughly 5 percent in extended trading. Shares of AT&T dropped as much as 2 percent.
Sara Salinas CNBC.com

A federal judge said Tuesday that AT&T's $85.4 billion purchase of Time Warner is legal, clearing the path for a deal that gives the pay-TV provider ownership of cable channels such as HBO and CNN as well as film studio Warner Bros.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon did not impose conditions on the merger's approval. He also urged the government not to seek a stay when issuing his decision in a closed-door room with reporters.

AT&T General Counsel David McAtee said the company was happy with the result.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/att-tim ... uling.html

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:48 pm

PJ Media: 47 Groups Weighing SPLC Lawsuit Warn 'Editors, CEOs': 'You Are Complicit' in Hate Group 'Defamation':
[Last] Wednesday, no fewer than 47 nonprofit leaders maligned by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) — many if not most of whom are considering a lawsuit against the organization — warned a vast array of executives and leaders that if they parrot the SPLC's damaging "hate group" labels, they would be "complicit" in "defamation."

"Editors, CEOs, shareholders and consumers alike are on notice: anyone relying upon and repeating its misrepresentations is complicit in the SPLC's harmful defamation of large numbers of American citizens who, like the undersigned, have been vilified simply for working to protect our country and freedoms," the signatories wrote.

The letter followed news — broken at PJ Media — that no fewer than 60 organizations are considering suing the SPLC following a groundbreaking settlement in which the organization formally apologized to a Muslim reformer, Maajid Nawaz, for branding him an "anti-Muslim extremist."

"We haven't filed anything against the SPLC, but I think a number of organizations have been considering filing lawsuits against the SPLC because they have been doing to a lot of organizations exactly what they did to Maajid Nawaz," Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, told PJ Media on Tuesday.

Liberty Counsel filed a lawsuit against the charity navigation organization GuideStar for defamation after GuideStar adopted the SPLC's "hate group" list. That lawsuit is ongoing.
The haters' nastygram.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Bring on your SLAPP, bigots. SPLC has the best, most effective lawyers in the world. You? Not so much.

You're public figures. If you can't take the heat, stop being bigots.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Daily Beast: National Enquirer Boss Is Building a Gossip Empire to Do Trump’s Bidding

Trump acolyte David Pecker now controls tabloid mag conglomerate AMI—giving the president effective control of the pop-culture engine that helped propel him to the White House.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Politico
New Fox chief cracks down on inflammatory statements

CEO Suzanne Scott summoned producers to a meeting to direct them to take more control over hosts and panelists.

Amid growing backlash against inflammatory statements by Fox News commentators, network CEO Suzanne Scott summoned top show producers to a meeting last week and delivered a clear message: They need to be in control of their hosts and panelists.

Scott told the producers that they would be held accountable for anything said on their air, and that it was their job to head off any inappropriate remarks, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. Appearing via video conference from Washington, D.C., to the group in New York, which also included programming executives, Scott read from a prepared script, explaining that she wanted to make sure she communicated her message precisely.

“She said, ‘You are responsible for protecting the talent, protecting the brand,’” one of the people aware of the meeting said. “She said, ‘You are responsible as the producers. You have to protect the talent and the brand.’”

The decision by Scott, who is in her second month as CEO, to gather the executives and producers last Wednesday and read them prepared remarks was unusual, said the people familiar with the meeting, and not something they were aware had ever happened before. With several national advertisers having dropped Fox News shows in recent months and an increasing number of prominent voices speaking out against the network, the top-rated channel finds itself at a delicate moment.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:41 pm
Politico
New Fox chief cracks down on inflammatory statements

CEO Suzanne Scott summoned producers to a meeting to direct them to take more control over hosts and panelists.

Amid growing backlash against inflammatory statements by Fox News commentators, network CEO Suzanne Scott summoned top show producers to a meeting last week and delivered a clear message: They need to be in control of their hosts and panelists.

Scott told the producers that they would be held accountable for anything said on their air, and that it was their job to head off any inappropriate remarks, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. Appearing via video conference from Washington, D.C., to the group in New York, which also included programming executives, Scott read from a prepared script, explaining that she wanted to make sure she communicated her message precisely.

“She said, ‘You are responsible for protecting the talent, protecting the brand,’” one of the people aware of the meeting said. “She said, ‘You are responsible as the producers. You have to protect the talent and the brand.’”

The decision by Scott, who is in her second month as CEO, to gather the executives and producers last Wednesday and read them prepared remarks was unusual, said the people familiar with the meeting, and not something they were aware had ever happened before. With several national advertisers having dropped Fox News shows in recent months and an increasing number of prominent voices speaking out against the network, the top-rated channel finds itself at a delicate moment.
What kind of remarks she would regard as inappropriate? :confused:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 pm

From that article-
The day before, former Donald Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski had appeared on the network and belittled a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome who was reportedly separated from her mother, saying “Womp womp” to her story. The host, Sandra Smith, who was in as a substitute for Martha MacCallum, did not say anything to address Lewandowski’s statements. That incident, according to a person close to the situation, was the immediate reason that Scott called the meeting.

Similarly, the previous weekend, conservative commentator Ann Coulter had appeared on Fox News as a guest and falsely alleged that the children at the border were “child actors.” Host Steve Hilton let the comment go unchallenged on air. Only later did he issue a statement saying, “I do not endorse her comments or anything else said by anyone other than myself.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:17 am

3EF2F99A-4711-41C8-9B6E-8A2E30E23362.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 am

Good riddance. :dance:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 am

Hewitt was loathsome. I'm glad he's gone. He can trundle over to Fox "News" and be loathsome there.

I feel sorry for his students at Chapman Law Skool, but then I feel sorry for anyone who has to get an alleged legal education at that place. Ronald McDonald Rotunda was the top teacher there, which ain't saying much. And if you go there you get saddled with $300,000 in debt with only a 64% chance you'll pass the bar.

Here are the awful statistics for Hewitt's place of employment: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/chapman/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:15 am

Hewitt also writes ridiculous OpEd pieces for Wapo. I hope they drop him too.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Umm, I think raicha went to Chapman. Just sayin'. :blink:

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:09 pm
Umm, I think raicha went to Chapman. Just sayin'. :blink:
:nope:
Sekrit Stuffs!
Loyola. She did have an email correspondence with Rotunda, which is probably why you are conflating the two.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Off Topic
OK, thanks, Filly!

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Daily Beast
Ex-Vanity Fair Editor and Trump Nemesis Graydon Carter Plots Comeback

From the South of France, one of America’s legendary magazine editors thinks about a return to media with the same people who invested in Vice.

Two years ago it would been unimaginable that Graydon Carter would be out of Vanity Fair and his arch nemesis, Donald Trump, would be in the White House.

Carter, 68, co-founded Spy magazine in the 1980s where he infamously branded Trump a “short-fingered vulgarian” before taking the helm at Vanity Fair in the 1990s. There he presided over Hollywood’s toughest guest list, Vanity Fair’s annual Oscars afterparty.

Since leaving Condé Nast last year, Carter has spent the last several months in the south of France plotting his next act. In Provence, “his disdain for Trump has only increased,” one close friend told The Daily Beast. ...

When Carter ended his 25-year run at Vanity Fair, he told the New York Times: “I wanted to have a third act. And I thought, time is precious.”

The clock is ticking.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Politico
How Sinclair lost Trump's FCC

Sinclair Broadcast Group had everything going for it when it announced its $3.9 billion purchase of Tribune Media in May 2017: close ties to the Trump administration, and a friendly Federal Communications Commission chairman who cleared a path for regulators to approve the mega-deal.

Sinclair, known for its “must-run” pro-Trump programming, was already the country’s biggest television broadcaster. The deal would make it even bigger, allowing it to reach nearly three-quarters of U.S. households — further positioning it to take on Fox in the battle for conservative eyeballs.

But 14 months later, Sinclair's deal is headed toward an almost-certain defeat, with that same FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, sending the merger on Monday into an administrative proceeding that is tantamount to a death sentence.

The story of how Sinclair's deal ran into trouble, despite its considerable sway in Republican-led Washington, is a tale of stunning hubris, according to officials inside and outside the FCC who watched the drama unfold. The broadcaster needed to sell stations to stay under federal media ownership limits, but instead it aggressively pushed proposals that would have left it in effective control of some of those spun-off outlets — raising alarms at an FCC that had already relaxed some ownership rules to the company's benefit.

Pai made clear Monday that the company had pushed the envelope too far, saying the proposed divestitures would "allow Sinclair to control those stations in practice, even if not in name, in violation of the law."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Rupert is showing Donald how he can take power away. Bret Baier looks exhausted and seems like he threw up his hands, the whole 6pm Fox News hour is anti Donald. They're covering Manafort and Butina. WSJ called Donald an embarrassment this morning. Tucker's interview with Donald runs tonight and Hannity will fluff but haven't seen Fox News this negative about Donald ever. Great beginning to Bill Shine's reign at the White House!

Return to “Media & Social Media”