Florida v Terry Trussell - Sentencing Hearing Video, July 22, 2016

woodworker

Re: Florida v Terry Trussell - Sentencing Hearing Video, July 22, 2016

Post by woodworker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Someone please to be explaining to me why the hell IG called Siegmeister, the Sheriff, etc? Was she honestly expecting them to say good things about TT? WTF was she thinking (I know, assumes facts not in evidence)?

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 pm

About 80% of what Garcia did left me asking -- WTF? That went up to 95% when it came to her paperwork.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
LightinDarkness wrote:The following occurs to me when watching the first few minutes of the video:

- We all knew Terry wasn't going to do the smart thing and throw his sovcit ideas under the bus on July 22 (if he was that smart, it would have occurred at trial). But do we believe that - had Terry done that - he would have received a lighter sentence? Or was it to little, to late? He did his whole 'letter of remorse' shtick but you could tell he didn't believe it.

- Did I-G actually make things worse by having delusional letter writers?

- I think the whole I-G tactic of "this is a death sentence!" actually did make things worse. According to the SSA, someone who is 70 today is likely to live until they are 85. And that is the average - Terry could live much longer. So even with 8 years, he still would be free some time before his 'expected' death given his age. I would even wager he could live past 85, given that he is in actually very good health for someone his age.
Just my IANAL arrogant opinion, but I think the shuffling gait probably annoyed the judge as much, if not more, than the erroneous letters. I don't think it lengthened his sentence, (he got the minimum, right?) but it sure as hell didn't help him. Best part (to me) was when Sheriff Hatcher explained that he was walking around just fine a couple of weeks ago, as IG objected without success. I wonder if Mr. Meggs was expecting that performance.
Meggs said something to the guy beside him once he first saw Terry come in doing the leg thing. I'm sure they've all seen it many times before. Terry should be lucky the judge didn't buy the PTSD stuff, he could have ordered a psych evaluation, while Terry spends some time in a holding cell wearing a paper suit.

boots

Post by boots » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:04 am

And that is so typical of sovcit types, they try things that only sound good to total neophytes, and don't realize the judge and the attorneys have all seen it before, and can see it coming a mile away. Smirking Terry didn't have them fooled. And he's probably still sitting there in his cell wondering where this foolproof plan, right down to his insisting he was just protesting and pretending to be on death's bed with a sudden limp, went somehow wrong.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:30 am

LightinDarkness wrote:We all knew Terry wasn't going to do the smart thing and throw his sovcit ideas under the bus on July 22 (if he was that smart, it would have occurred at trial). But do we believe that - had Terry done that - he would have received a lighter sentence? Or was it to little, to late? He did his whole 'letter of remorse' shtick but you could tell he didn't believe it.
I doubt it would have mattered. The guidelines give the sentence and a list of reasons that would justify deviating from the sentence. I don't have the link, but I looked at the list right after the verdict came in and there was pretty clearly nothing there that fit Trussell's case.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:33 am

I'm curious about the Pinellas County case where the defendant ended up getting two years probation according to Inger. Has anyone looked at that case?

realist

Post by realist » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 am

Orlylicious wrote:I'm curious about the Pinellas County case where the defendant ended up getting two years probation according to Inger. Has anyone looked at that case?
Yes, someone did. (bob maybe?)

IIRC it was a plea deal but I could be thinking of the wrong case.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 am

I've been skipping around in the video. So far, Terry's son-in-law is the only effective witness that I saw.

But then he's a commie-do-gooder.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:10 pm

woodworker wrote:Someone please to be explaining to me why the hell IG called Siegmeister, the Sheriff, etc? Was she honestly expecting them to say good things about TT? WTF was she thinking (I know, assumes facts not in evidence)?

It was consistent with her trial strategy of calling witnesses and asking them questions that only help prove the State's case.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:And that is so typical of sovcit types, they try things that only sound good to total neophytes, and don't realize the judge and the attorneys have all seen it before, and can see it coming a mile away. Smirking Terry didn't have them fooled. And he's probably still sitting there in his cell wondering where this foolproof plan, right down to his insisting he was just protesting and pretending to be on death's bed with a sudden limp, went somehow wrong.
They are easily fooled, so why not expect everybody else to be that way?

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I did like SA Seigmeister's answer. That he would have charged Trussell with extortion rather than simulated process. An Occam's Razor solution.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm not buying Terry's apology to the Court. All he's really specific about is that he's sorry he's cost money to himself, his family and his supporters. Despite his fervent jail cell prayers, Terry cites only one conviction as a rationale for his pledge never to be involved in political or jury issues again: his felony conviction.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm

I don't see TT doing well in prison. I think he probably has narcissistic personality disorder. He is used to being in charge (or imagining that he is). Being an inmate is about as low on the totem pole as one can get in modern life. He will have to make some huge adjustments if he is going to survive. I think there is a good chance he won't be able to do that.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm

According to the SSA, someone who is 70 today is likely to live until they are 85. And that is the average - Terry could live much longer. So even with 8 years, he still would be free some time before his 'expected' death given his age. I would even wager he could live past 85, given that he is in actually very good health for someone his age.
I would suspect (but don't have the hard data) that life expectancy is lower in prison.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

nbc

Post by nbc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:24 pm

realist wrote:
Orlylicious wrote:I'm curious about the Pinellas County case where the defendant ended up getting two years probation according to Inger. Has anyone looked at that case?

See
In addition, in the State v. Ladarrien Wilson, the defendant was adjudicated guilty following a guilty plea, to four counts of Criminal Use of Simulated Legal Process under 843.0855. The defendant received no prison term and was sent to 2 years' probation in 2012. State v. Wilson, 522012CF020712XXXXNO; 522012CF020709XXXXNO, 522012CF020710XXXXNO, 522012CF020711XXXXNO (Fla. 61h Cir., Pinellas County 2012).

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 pm

nbc wrote:
realist wrote:

See
In addition, in the State v. Ladarrien Wilson, the defendant was adjudicated guilty following a guilty plea, to four counts of Criminal Use of Simulated Legal Process under 843.0855. The defendant received no prison term and was sent to 2 years' probation in 2012. State v. Wilson, 522012CF020712XXXXNO; 522012CF020709XXXXNO, 522012CF020710XXXXNO, 522012CF020711XXXXNO (Fla. 61h Cir., Pinellas County 2012).
IIRC, the statute was revised, yes? If so, it looks like there's a good chance that conviction would have been under the prior statute. Do we know if the penalties or the classification were also revised?

Too, also, guilty plea is on the list for acceptable reason for a downward departure.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Paul/others -

Is it just me, or do most of Trussell's witnesses, including most of his merry band of cosplay jurors, lack a local accent?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:53 pm

OK. Just finished the video. I don't have much new to add to what's already been said.

Inger is competent enough that there will be no successful ineffective counsel appeal. But she's not terribly effective:

First, she struck me as demonstrating just an incredible lack of empathy for Trussell's family when they were testifying. They were the most powerful witnesses; in dealing with them, she was at her most matter-of-fact.

Second, there was her inexplicable decision to call prosecution witnesses. But that's been covered enough.

Third, there was Terry's statement. What a train wreck. He came off (as the judge noted) as an unrepentant little shithead. By the time she was halfway in, I was trying to figure out why she couldn't see how much harm he was doing and cut off the Q&A portion of the program. But she didn't, and the freight cars just kept tumbling on downhill into the pile.

Separately, I appreciated Judge Hankinson's remarks in passing sentence, and particularly the way he contrasted his own decision to follow the law and the guidelines with Trussell's decision to appoint himself as Lord High Poobah of Justice for the county.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Totally agree with you Mike. Did anybody else notice there are times that Judge Hankinson sounds like Peter Griffin? In one of the trial videos he laughed just like him, gotta find that :lol:

And now I think I understand, in the other case the defendant pleaded guilty. Makes it even more insane that Terry didn't beg and plead. What an idiot and even worse he was so selfish to his wife and daughter.

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Mikedunford wrote:Paul/others -

Is it just me, or do most of Trussell's witnesses, including most of his merry band of cosplay jurors, lack a local accent?
To tell you the truth, Mike, because I'm from around here, I honestly don't hear an "accent" unless the person's speech patterns are more obviously NYC/Bronx, Chicago, or Boston, or maybe rural Pennsylvania (but that's more pronunciation of certain words than accent, per se). I'll listen again to some snippets, but given that I didn't really hear anything that jarred me in any of the voices (although, notably, both Trussell's daughter and her husband had more generic accents--she with slightly more southern cadence than he, but both were what I'd call "TV anchor" voices--and I did notice that), so those may have been the only ones that weren't "normal" to my ear, and therefore, southern.

Garcia accent always muddles me a bit. At times, her pronunciation of words, choice of phrases, and cadence is quite southern; at times, though, her pronunciation, cadence, and choice of phrases seems much closer to Brooklyn than the South (although that could as easily be the South Florida/Miami influence, which is probably more NYC and Cuba than it is anything "south"). And there are numerous phrases and words she had some noticeable difficulty pronouncing at all, which suggested to me that, although her English skills are very good, she might not be a native speaker but maybe an ESL kid (very common in Florida, where Spanish is the primary language spoken at home, but English is the primary language spoken in school, except socially among the kids)

The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Every time I hear Ingie Dingie speak I hear Pennsylvannia. I'm not sure if it's because I am from Toronto and grew up in NY, but I just don't hear any NY dialect. I'm guessing that she does speak Spanish (with her parents atleast) so maybe Paul is right?

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 pm

The church people sounded relatively local (though I'm from a bit further north than FL).

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Has the NLA learned from this experience? Or Dowdell? And where has Mark Schmidter disappeared to?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Orlylicious wrote:Totally agree with you Mike. Did anybody else notice there are times that Judge Hankinson sounds like Peter Griffin? In one of the trial videos he laughed just like him, gotta find that :lol:

And now I think I understand, in the other case the defendant pleaded guilty. Makes it even more insane that Terry didn't beg and plead. What an idiot and even worse he was so selfish to his wife and daughter.
The judge's voice changes completely when he's not speaking slowly into the microphone. When he ejected Gimmy from the courtroom, I had to look back at the video to see it was him speaking.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Turtle wrote:
Orlylicious wrote:Totally agree with you Mike. Did anybody else notice there are times that Judge Hankinson sounds like Peter Griffin? In one of the trial videos he laughed just like him, gotta find that :lol:

The judge's voice changes completely when he's not speaking slowly into the microphone. When he ejected Gimmy from the courtroom, I had to look back at the video to make sure it was him speaking.

Return to “Terry Trussell”