Day 4 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060916 - Incl Proffers, Closing Arguments, Jury Instructions. Inger Garcia Fails

rpenner

Re: Day 4 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060916 - Incl Proffers, Closing Arguments, Jury Instructions

Post by rpenner » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Orlylicious wrote:Totally agree on both of those RC! Terry's dramatic change from direct to cross was Zulloian. The cross was so good by Mr. Meggs. Terry choked, he was lying badly. Mr. Meggs was rightfully incredulous. Judge Hankerson was well over IG by then, #14 cuts her no slack because he heard the testimony. This was when you could easily see the plane heading toward the mountain at full speed.
So when IG complains that this trial was corrupt .... she was complaining about the testimony of her client?

Or is she just taking issue with North Floridian accents?

Notorial Dissent

Re: Day 4 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060916 - Incl Proffers, Closing Arguments, Jury Instructions. Inger Garcia Fails

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Even from the worst CL I've been aware of I would have expected a set aside motion and/or a bail motion almost as soon as the hammer came down. So far to all appearances crickets. I'm not holding my breath she'll be there for sentencing.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Re: Day 4 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060916 - Incl Proffers, Closing Arguments, Jury Instructions. Inger Garcia Fails

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:Even from the worst CL I've been aware of I would have expected a set aside motion and/or a bail motion almost as soon as the hammer came down. So far to all appearances crickets. I'm not holding my breath she'll be there for sentencing.
I dunno... Does time spent out on appeal bond count toward the sentence? If not, and there is no reasonable likelihood of getting the conviction overturned, maybe better to just get it over with.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:Even from the worst CL I've been aware of I would have expected a set aside motion and/or a bail motion almost as soon as the hammer came down. So far to all appearances crickets. I'm not holding my breath she'll be there for sentencing.
I dunno... Does time spent out on appeal bond count toward the sentence? If not, and there is no reasonable likelihood of getting the conviction overturned, maybe better to just get it over with.
I doubt that it would, but at least for forms sake she should have filed the two motions I mentioned, if she was really working on TT's behalf I would have expected those as just pro forma immediately the end of the trial, and then her to be working on the appeal bond, won't happen regardless of who wrote it, and the appeal of the conviction, doesn't seem to be happening.

My opinion, since IANAAL and am a cynical old so and so, is that she has burned through whatever money she got, and I don't think she got that much if she did, and she is done with it. I really don't expect there to be anything further coming from that quarter. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I am of the feeling that either TT or whoever was paying her has fired her. We'll see.

At this juncture it looks very much like TT is going to be sitting in jail til sentencing, and then he'll be sitting in prison.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote: I doubt that it would, but at least for forms sake she should have filed the two motions I mentioned, if she was really working on TT's behalf I would have expected those as just pro forma immediately the end of the trial, and then her to be working on the appeal bond, won't happen regardless of who wrote it, and the appeal of the conviction, doesn't seem to be happening.
Well, you can't just do things "for forms sake." She has to do what is in his best interest, and maybe asking for release pending appeal isn't. Those sorts of motions have real consequences for the client. Maybe he doesn't have money for an appeal bond. Maybe he told her not to file anything. I'm just not as likely to assume that the failure to ask for release pending appeal is the result of incompetence. Maybe it is. I just don't think we have enough facts to know one way or the other.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 pm

The Appeal Bond I can see, TT may really not have the ready cash, not that I would expect one to be granted, but the set aside and bail or OR until sentencing I would expect, even if they are inevitably denied, as I expect they would be.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:01 pm

ND, you got wondering about recognizance. The Florida bail statute has this to say:
any defendant who had failed to appear on the day of any required court proceeding in the case at issue, but who had later voluntarily appeared or surrendered, shall not be eligible for a recognizance bond.
That may explain why she didn't ask for him to be released on recognizance.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Could be, but I doubt she ever looked at the statute. She didn't ask for bail either, at least that we know. She doesn't strike me as having done much if any research here.

realist

Post by realist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:Could be, but I doubt she ever looked at the statute. She didn't ask for bail either, at least that we know. She doesn't strike me as having done much if any research here.
Also. Too. She would not be filing an appeal nor asking for an appeal bond until after sentencing.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:23 am

She asked for bond pending appeal right after the verdict, the judge said he can't do that because there is no appeal filed, but if she filed a motion for bond pending sentencing, he would hear it.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:24 am

Like Mike and a few others, I decided to watch the whole trial, I've learned a lot and it's been really interesting. I've had no real contact with the legal system and after seeing this, I totally don't want to! :lol:

Looking at all her fails, I keep wondering if Inger had any idea the whole trial would end up on YouTube with fair and relentless coverage of how terrible she was. :cantlook: :blackeye: I guess the Google of Inger Garcia's failure representing Terry Trussell will be a gift of search results for many years to come. :P :thumbs:

If all this helps just one person realize fake Grand Juries can land you in jail so do not do it, it's all been worth it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:49 am

realist wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:Could be, but I doubt she ever looked at the statute. She didn't ask for bail either, at least that we know. She doesn't strike me as having done much if any research here.
Also. Too. She would not be filing an appeal nor asking for an appeal bond until after sentencing.
I got beat to it, but I think you're assuming far more competence than she has. She hasn't shown she really has anything like a grasp of the whole criminal trial conviction sentencing appeal thingy. Besides, Taitz would have done it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:57 am

I am still convinced that Ingie dingie never expected to have to go to trial. Why she was convinced of that I can't quite fathom, but her actions throughout were of one who never expected to have to do anything. I begin to think she was hired to stall the legal proceedings. She proceeded almost from day one like someone who was not taking it seriously or expected to have to do anything. I don't think it even became real to her until her last attempt at a continuance foundered and she started that flurry of, as far as I can see, totally utterly useless depositions and pointless subpoenas, and by the time the wheel really met the pavement it was too late for her to do anything.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:04 am

As inconceivable as it may seem, I think Notorial Dissent is correct. An experienced trial lawyer is preparing many things at once as trial approaches. Each has a purpose. Outlines of direct and cross examination. Opening statement and closing argument. Deposition extracts to use to impeach witnesses, or to refresh their recollection. Exhibits. And jury instructions. One of the most important tasks is to prepare key jury instructions that may not be covered in the standard instructions, or to prepare specially prepared instructions. (And this was a case of first impression.)

It is through the jury instructions that the jury learns what the law is. A defendant is entitled to a non argumentative instruction on every legitimate theory of defense for which evidence has been elicited at trial. It is here that Garcia fell down most obviously, although she was deficient in every area. Rather than preparing specific instructions she filed worthless ruminations about jury instructions. When finally put to preparing the instructions on her theory of the case, she prepared two hand written instructions that were confusing and failed to state the law on mistake of fact and mistake of law. And Garcia had no memorandum to support her contention that either was a relevant defense.

Instead of asking for various First Amendment instructions, Garcia wanted to put a disqualified (not disbarred) lawyer on the stand. And she was unprepared to proceed after his testimony was prevented. She did not seem to understand that "experts on the law" are improper, and that the jury's knowledge of the law comes from the judge. (In this respect, maybe if she had read Gimmy Truth's "Fully Informed" crap she would have understood how important correct instructions are.)

I still don't understand all the notices of intent to rely on public records. It never seemed to come up during trial but it required some effort and took up a lot of space on the docket. What the hell was that all about?

Before and during a trial you only have a limited amount of time to do everything. What in Jeebus' name was Garcia doing filing paper after paper that had no meaning, that was disconnected to her defense, that was never mentioned during the trial. All the depositions, subpoenas, everything she filed was worthless. Does Trussell understand that? Did he insist she do it?

This is not the case to follow in order to learn how things are to be done. And SA Meggs barely took advantage of Garcia's utter incompetence. This is a case, like everything the Chaleria does, to show how the practice of law and the conduct of a trial is not to be done.

boots

Post by boots » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
:snippity: :snippity:

This is not the case to follow in order to learn how things are to be done. And SA Meggs barely took advantage of Garcia's utter incompetence. This is a case, like everything the Chaleria does, to show how the practice of law and the conduct of a trial is not to be done.
Yes, but for that, it is quite useful! I imagine that generally acting snotty, and arguing about everything including irrelevancies, are probably considered "lawyerly" traits by society in general (thanks to to lawyer tv shows etc) those traits don't really play too well in the courtroom. There are so many teachable "see that, don't do that" moments one could glean from the videotapes. Personally I see a huge issue with the lawyer not controlling what gets filed in the courtroom, thereby reducing their written efforts to the level of the non lawyers they aim to please. That's not how it should work. A great lesson in how a lawyer should take control of the case, and clients who want to fight to be in the drivers seat are often their own worst enemy. Also the "I have a friend who knows stuff" problem is one that every attorney has or will have with certain clients - that was likely going on behind the scenes too.

Eggs (auto correct won't let me spell his name correctly, so he is Mr. Eggs) did what he had to do and obviously did it well enough to win. I am reminded of a quote about formula 1 racing that the goal is to win the race going as slowly as you can. I'm not sure that applies in law, however. He was appropriate and prepared and did the right things, and it worked. It provides a contrast to Inger.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Part of it I think, is that Meggs is a gentleman and really didn't need any additional help from Ingie dingie in making his case, he didn't need her to get a conviction, but any free help I'm sure was appreciated, and I also think she helped a lot. She antagonized the jury from the start, adn then her client got up and lied his ass off, how much more help could she have given?

On the plus side, Ingie dingie has provided a perfect anti-role model and course on how NOT to be a criminal defense lawyer and behave in court and how to get your client convicted. Somehow, i don't think her client or her backers will be best pleased howsumever.

boots

Post by boots » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Maybe, maybe not.

In my experience, people who are attracted to the sovrun nonsense are often so deluded that they prefer their attorney to use their methods and approaches even if it guarantees a loss. Then, they think "they're thinking outside the box" or "being aggressive." That being said, I am sure no one is happy with the outcome. I just don't know if TT would blame Inger for it.

It is also possible there are other parties paying the bills who might be unhappy. But that's just speculation. And the same would apply to them.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm

From what I've seen in watching this phenomenon over the years, even the ones who get an actual lawyer but are attracted/believe in it it believe it is right and will insist that their lawyer play too, thus guaranteeing their ultimate loss. Sometimes there is just no cure for stupid.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:06 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:Part of it I think, is that Meggs is a gentleman and really didn't need any additional help from Ingie dingie in making his case, he didn't need her to get a conviction, but any free help I'm sure was appreciated, and I also think she helped a lot. She antagonized the jury from the start, adn then her client got up and lied his ass off, how much more help could she have given?

On the plus side, Ingie dingie has provided a perfect anti-role model and course on how NOT to be a criminal defense lawyer and behave in court and how to get your client convicted. Somehow, i don't think her client or her backers will be best pleased howsumever.
Maybe Ingie Dingie didn't give a rat's ass. Maybe she was going for that one big payday and filing reams of paperwork helped pad it. Wasn't it in SA's depo that she found out about TT's $750,000 nest egg that kept him from getting a public defender?

Whether or not she's able to collect is another story.

ImageImageImage x4

boots

Post by boots » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:41 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:Part of it I think, is that Meggs is a gentleman and really didn't need any additional help from Ingie dingie in making his case, he didn't need her to get a conviction, but any free help I'm sure was appreciated, and I also think she helped a lot. She antagonized the jury from the start, adn then her client got up and lied his ass off, how much more help could she have given?

Maybe Ingie Dingie didn't give a rat's ass. Maybe she was going for that one big payday and filing reams of paperwork helped pad it. Wasn't it in SA's depo that she found out about TT's $750,000 nest egg that kept him from getting a public defender?

Whether or not she's able to collect is another story.
I thought I read somewhere that Johnny Twonames was claiming Dowdell was going to get TT a lawyer.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I've found out through years of dealing with attorneys, albeit in environmental enforcement, that the best attorneys don't huff and puff and holler. They're calm, collected and respectful. Then they tear your liver out. :lol:

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Maybenaut wrote:ND, you got wondering about recognizance. The Florida bail statute has this to say:
any defendant who had failed to appear on the day of any required court proceeding in the case at issue, but who had later voluntarily appeared or surrendered, shall not be eligible for a recognizance bond.
You are assuming facts not in evidence. Yes, that statute says that and yes, a competent criminal attorney should be familiar with that statute, but you are assuming IG is a competent criminal attorney.

Bad poster, bad poster, no dessert for you.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:38 pm

woodworker wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:ND, you got wondering about recognizance. The Florida bail statute has this to say:
You are assuming facts not in evidence. Yes, that statute says that and yes, a competent criminal attorney should be familiar with that statute, but you are assuming IG is a competent criminal attorney.

Bad poster, bad poster, no dessert for you.
Hey, I didn't say it did explain it, just that it might. Can I have my dessert now?

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:I am still convinced that Ingie dingie never expected to have to go to trial. Why she was convinced of that I can't quite fathom, but her actions throughout were of one who never expected to have to do anything. I begin to think she was hired to stall the legal proceedings. She proceeded almost from day one like someone who was not taking it seriously or expected to have to do anything. I don't think it even became real to her until her last attempt at a continuance foundered and she started that flurry of, as far as I can see, totally utterly useless depositions and pointless subpoenas, and by the time the wheel really met the pavement it was too late for her to do anything.
:like: :yeah:

Also, too, just my WAG, I would bet that the announcement of the conviction, being handcuffed and hauled away to the pokey and then processed resulted in a shell-shocked and angry Terry Trussell. And that in the first conversation with Inger, Terry emphatically demanded that she get him the hell out of there TODAY and told her that she had screwed up the trial and that the whole damned system, the court, the judge, the prosecutor, everybody was corrupt and in on it, and so was she (IG) and that is she didn't get him out of there TODAY she was fired. Continuing my WAG surmise, Inger tried to tell him, whilst quivering and crying, that she could file a motion for bail pending sentencing and a motion to set aside the conviction, but that both would require a little time and that [a little light finally shining in Inger's head] the chance that he would get bail were not very high. Further continuing my WAG and surmise, I would suggest that Terry then performed his imitation of Adolf Hitler in the last days in his bunker, proceeding to rant and rave about how he had been betrayed by everyone and, WAIT FOR IT, he fired Inger.

Inger, finally demonstrating a modicum of intelligence, acknowledged his decision and announcement that she had been fired and quickly fled the scene, screaming, "freedom, freedom, at long last freedom," and planning on escaping into a large bottle of Jose Cuervo and a bag of limes (which would account for no one having heard from her for quite a while).

Suggestions on who will play Inger in the movie now being taken. The role of the judge would have been played by the gentlemen who played the Judge in My Cousin Vinny, but he had the bad taste to die. Tom Cruise, will of course, be playing the role of Terry Trussell, and I am thinking Tommy Lee Jones as Meggs (although he would be a fine judge). Maybe Matthew McConaughey or Tom Skerritt for Siegmeister and, ooh, I know, Inger can play Dana Johnson.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Return to “Terry Trussell”