Day 1 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060616 Incl Hankenson Chambers, Jury Voir Dire, Meggs State Opening, Dana Johnson

Orlylicious

Day 1 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060616 Incl Hankenson Chambers, Jury Voir Dire, Meggs State Opening, Dana Johnson

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:35 pm

To organize the events and comments from each amazing day, and since people are watching at different times, here's a separate topic. Thank you to RC, Turtle and Dr. Blue for the YouTubes! We're making indexes for each video, thank you Karen Walker :bighug: Message if you have more timecodes!

#1 State of FL v Terry Trussell - 060616 AM Session 1
In Chambers - Thank you Reality Check (RC)!

00:00:40 Judge H. wants to know how long each side needs for voir dire. SA 30 minutes, IG wants 2-3 hours JH says 1 hour.
00:01:55 JH believes he should tell the jury about why the out of district judge and SA are on the case. Wants to explain there is a conflict since Siegmeister and judges may be called as witnesses. IG wants him to say nothing. SA OK with explanation. JH says he will tell the jury.
00:13:40 Pending defense motions discussed. Change of venue, allowed defenses, etc. All of them either denied or deferred.
00:20:05 IG asks how JH handles objections. JH - one or two words only. All discussion at sidebar if needed. Don't abuse.
00:22:55 SA Meggs asks about electronic court recordings being available. JH says he agreed to make them available instead of allowing Jason Hoyt to record. He thought it might be a distraction to have Hoyt recording.
00:23:45 Discussion about juror striking and seating process.
00:27:15 IG wants to have a monitor set up to show jury exhibits as she presents. JH says he would have to see it to rule.
00:28:00 Adjourned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLC-_fN38s
#2 State of FL v Terry Trussell - 060616 AM Session 2
Judge Voir Dire: 00:01:00 - 01:17:00
State VD: 01:21:00 - 01:30:00
IG VD: 01:31:35 - 01:51:00
Judge: 01:58:00
State: 02:15:36
IG: 02:19:50 - 02:32:45
Jury seated & sworn: 02:33:15
Notes from Paul Lentz:
1. From Day 1, #2 (jury selection)

At the beginning, we see the person acting as court clerk that day. She is wearing a light turquoise top and dark slacks. She has dark hair which is pulled back into a bun or short pony tail.

26:45, during general (group) voir dire, Judge Hankinson indicates that the attorneys will read a list of their witnesses. The lawyers do so.
30:45, following that reading, Judge Hankinson asks, "Does anyone know any of those persons personally?"
31:46, after one of the potential jurors has acknowledged "knowing" some of the witnesses, Judge Hankinson (in individual questioning) asks that potential juror (not Cannon), "If those people were witnesses, anything about that you know them would make it difficult for you to consider their testimony like you would anyone else's?" [Okay, it's not grammatical, but Hankinson's point is clear]
--In other instances following this, where another potential juror has indicated that they "know" one or more of the potential witnesses, Judge Hankinson's follow-up query is not identical to the query at 31:46, but is similar enough to amount to a uniform inquiry. This is important--this consistency in Judge Hankinson's follow-up question with each individual potential juror, and that follow-up question's general consistency. Not surprisingly, it's a point not acknowledged by the defense in their contempt motion..
--As noted before, potential juror Cannon does not raise his hand in acknowledgement of "knowing" anyone on the witness lists of either the State or the defense.

In terms of providing individual information about himself during voir dire:
57:00 Potential juror Cannon has lived in Dixie County for 47 years (which would be all his life, although he does not say that). He is married to (but separated from for "three or four years" from Mary Cannon, who works in the [3rd Circuit] State Attorney's office; they have two sons, one 23 and one who is 16.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLR1eEo3IM

#3 State of FL v Terry Trussell - 060616 PM Session 1
Notes from Paul Lentz:
Moving on to Day 1, #3 (State witnesses)
At the beginning of this video, again, the person in the "Madam Clerk" position in the courtroom is dressed in a light turquoise top and dark slacks, with dark hair pulled back.

43:45 SA Meggs calls Dana Johnson as a witness (and the court goes to sidebar)
45:36 Dana Johnson enters the court and is sworn in (by the Deputy Clerk wearing the turquoise top). Dana Johnson is wearing dark slacks and a figural printed blouse, and has her shoulder-length hair down.

Not the same person. So, it is obvious that Dana Johnson was not present in the court during the jury selection, and--since we first see Dana Johnson as a witness before the selected jury--it is also obvious that Dana Johnson would have first seen juror (and first cousin) Tim Cannon as an already-empaneled and sworn in juror. I suppose that it is possible that Dana Johnson might have followed the progress of the jury selection via live feed back in the innards of the courthouse, but maybe not. I would still submit that, the moment she realized that her first cousin (juror Cannon) was on the jury, she had an obligation to disclose the relationship at her first opportunity...and maybe she did.

Or, another possible explanation for potential juror Cannon's failure to acknowledge up front his familial relationship with Dana Johnson might well have been because, while factually first cousins, their realistic relationship (for whatever reason) is not one in which either could say that they "know" one another in the literal sense of the word (not "know of," and not "know who they are;" that's not what Judge Hankinson asked). Just as I have a first cousin a few years older than I, who probably lives here in Orlando...I don't "know" him.

Or here's another possibility: Our BOTGs for the trial both remarked (and they were referring to juror Cannon) that he seemed 'out of it' and maybe 'asleep' during their observations of him on the first day of trial (albeit more alert--and cleaner--on the second day). And maybe he was dozing or wool-gathering when Judge Hankinson asked, "Do you know?..." and when the lists of potential witnesses were read by SA Meggs and Inger Garcia.
Witness sequestration rule
IG makes a request for constitution expert to stay in court- denied
IG tries to bring up her previously denied motions - still denied
Jury Instructions: 00:03:00 - 00:19:00

State opening statement: 00:19:40 - 00:43:00
IG reserves opening statement
Side bar

State Witnesses
Dana Johnson - County Clerk:
Direct: 00:46:00 - 01:02:37
IG objects to State's Ex 1 & 2
Side bar
IG requests to delay cross
Side bar
Request denied
Cross: 01:21:00 - 03:21:45
Redirect: 03:22:40 - 03:31:00
No jury questions
Jury dismissed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xUyI5qQtM

Turtle

Re: Day 1 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060616

Post by Turtle » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:53 am

Session 1 between 10m and 13m, the judge tells them there will be no mention of penalties; I'm sure it is common practice to keep this out of trials, but I'm betting the judge brought it up to prevent hyperbolic statements from Garcia about how this is a death penalty case, etc.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:08 am

I thought that was really interesting too Turtle, how he made sure Inger affirmed she understood. Seemed like he was referring to all that "sentenced to death" language in her garbage filings. Loved seeing Inger's Midnight Madness filings all dennied (well, he was holding open Venue change until he saw if there was a problem finding the jury) . She's a hot mess. Orly would like the black suit though :P

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:31 am

Watched the first video. Comments in no particular order:
  • Hadn't really listened to Garcia's voice before. She sounds like a New Yorker. ("You guys") If Paul Lentz hadn't already said that sort of thing wouldn't go over well with a Dixie County jury, I'd totally believe that it won't go over well.
  • Note the difference in organization. Meggs has a couple of Bankers' Boxes on chairs against the wall, a (very) small amount of paper, and a single notepad. Garcia, in contrast, has an entire slaughtered forrest worth of shit in front of her, but has occasional difficulty finding what she's needs at any moment.
Aside from that, nothing in particular. The video depicts an experienced judge and an experienced trial attorney going through the pre-trial housekeeping matters, with occasional interjections from Garcia.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:23 am

Orlylicious wrote:I thought that was really interesting too Turtle, how he made sure Inger affirmed she understood. Seemed like he was referring to all that "sentenced to death" language in her garbage filings. Loved seeing Inger's Midnight Madness filings all dennied (well, he was holding open Venue change until he saw if there was a problem finding the jury) . She's a hot mess. Orly would like the black suit though :P

I suspect that suit will be pretty ripe by now. She's had it on all week. Same suit and shoes, grey shirt, pink shirt, then red shirt.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:52 am

Skimming and skipping through voir dire.

Mr. Meggs - even time taken by Judge Hankinson's comments - kept his questions to seven minutes for the first round, five for the second. He kept his tone conversational enough and his vocabulary simple enough to maintain connection with the jury, but kept just enough technical language to not let all the magic out of the room. Garcia seems to be trying to prove that whatever Mr. Meggs does, she can do half as well in triple the time.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:39 am

By the end of Mr. Meggs opening statement, I was ready to start singing "He Is An Englishman."

And if you don't know why, you clearly haven't watched enough West Wing.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote: I suspect that suit will be pretty ripe by now. She's had it on all week. Same suit and shoes, grey shirt, pink shirt, then red shirt.
Would have been much more impressive if she'd been wearing this outfit:
redrobe.jpg
(I own a copy of this print)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Orlylicious

Re: Day 1 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060616 Incl Jury VD, Openings, Dana Johnson

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 pm

New index features and timecodes for each video in progress! Check out the first message for details. Please help us expand it.

realist

Re: Day 1 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060616 Incl Jury VD, Openings, Dana Johnson

Post by realist » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Orlylicious wrote:New index features and timecodes for each video in progress! Check out the first message for details. Please help us expand it.
:thumbs:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Orlylicious wrote:I thought that was really interesting too Turtle, how he made sure Inger affirmed she understood. Seemed like he was referring to all that "sentenced to death" language in her garbage filings. Loved seeing Inger's Midnight Madness filings all dennied (well, he was holding open Venue change until he saw if there was a problem finding the jury) . She's a hot mess. Orly would like the black suit though :P

I suspect that suit will be pretty ripe by now. She's had it on all week. Same suit and shoes, grey shirt, pink shirt, then red shirt.
You know I am not a fan of Inger. But to be fair, Mr. Meggs wore the same suit most of the week. Come on now, we don't have enough to go on with style, form and performance?

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Orlylicious wrote:New index features and timecodes for each video in progress! Check out the first message for details. Please help us expand it.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:24 am

Mikedunford wrote:By the end of Mr. Meggs opening statement, I was ready to start singing "He Is An Englishman."

And if you don't know why, you clearly haven't watched enough West Wing.
They're all about duty.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Return to “Terry Trussell”