Day 3 Videos FLORIDA v TRUSSELL 060816 - Incl Terry's Testimony, Jury Tampering, Hatcher, Harden, FDLE White, Linton

mimi

Re: Day 3 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060816

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:30 am

Nbc, It's really worth listening to the video of trussell's testimony. Especially the cross. I can't link it for you cuz I'm on my smart stupid phone. See? I would have lined through the smart in the prior sentence, but I don't know how to on my phone. Grrrrrr.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks Turtle. I got that impression too but I was wondering if TT was specifically questioned about it by either IG (doubtful) or Meggs during cross.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 am

Karen, I didn't hear them address it and I heard it all pretty closely... there wasn't a lot about sovcits on this part, it was more with law enforcement. The State was more interested in that TT included that letter as an attachment to one of the documents he filed publicly, so Mr. Meggs had him reading those paragraphs. Because clearly he was violating his oath by disclosing confidential jury information and the SA's comments. Meggs was also trying to show that TT discussed JS's comments at the fake grand jury meeting, but TT kept going around in circles.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks Orly! That's what I thought too. I'm kinda surprised that point wasn't driven home more throughly than just having him read it.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 am

One of Inger's few victories (sustained objection) was when Terry was being so dopey that Meggs asked if, at the Grand Jury enpanelment which Terry seemed to barely remember, was he having an "out of body experience?" That was funny.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:If Rodger B. Dowdell, Jr. and Hagan Smith wrote the indictment, or whatever the hell it is, wouldn't they also be implicated? Shouldn't they be charged if the SOL has not expired?
Slim and I wondered that as well since they were both mentioned. Also too...why the hell did we not hear from any school board members who were listed as persons to be arrested? I just don't get that. Actually.
Judgment call on Meggs' part. I haven't watched nearly the whole case, but from what I've seen, it doesn't fit into his theory of the case.

I should explain that they teach baby lawyers (like me) to try and come up with a simple, one to two sentence summary of what the case is about, and then to use the evidence to tell that story. And there's a reason that I mentioned "He is an Englishman" earlier - because I'm fairly sure that I've identified Meggs' theory of this case:

It's the one about duty.

He started to frame that in voir dire, and I've seen the refrain in the other parts of the case I've watched. He started by telling the jurors that the system only works because everyone involved has a role to play, and asking them if they can do their part. And he talked about the part that Terry was supposed to play, and, when he had Trussell on cross, he beat the shit out of Trussell for violating his oath to do his job.

Bringing the school board on would work if Meggs was pitching this as a case about revenge, but it doesn't work as well if the pitch is about duty. It would distract from that, and would potentially give Garcia room to run amok on cross by trying to put common core on trial.

Like I said, it's a judgment call. And it might not work. But I'm sure as hell not going to second-guess someone with Meggs experience as a prosecutor.
I thought intimidation of a public official was one of the elements charged. I guess that was covered with SA Seigmiester. Just thought the jurors might be more sympathetic to the members of the school board. But you are correct, I shouldn't second guess Mr. Meggs.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 am

The cross was worth watching a couple of times even if one doesn't have time for all the other sessions. In the first part, TT wants everyone to know how smart he is and what a great businessman and civic-minded citizen he is. He says he was not involved in politics until the Tea Party started forming and he was elected local chairman. He invites speakers to talk about various educational topics such as truthers, birthers and global warming....basically the CT flavor of the month. That is TT's notion of education...researching and learning about the latest conspiracy theory. He heard SA Seigmeister give a talk to one group in Lake City about CLGJ and how they were extralegal and were in no way a substitute or could be compared to statutory Grand Juries. This is where the wheels start to come off the bus. It's like a challenge for him to figure out a way to substitute the CLGJ for a real GJ . Somehow, he and his CLGJ pals have to get rid of or replace Seigmeister and put themselves in charge in a clever little bloodless putsch. For it to be legit under the CLGJ rules, they have to assemble in the court house. So, it's a happy coincidence that TT gets put on a real GJ and gets himself appointed foreman. He gets upset with the SA when he brings up the Common Core issues and the SA tells him that it's all legal and there's nothing that the GJ or the SA can do about it. That's when the concoct the 'charges' against him and the other officials.

What I couldn't tell in the testimony from TT was when he realized that Meggs had him in a trap with his breaking the GJ secrecy oath and other rules. The wriggling around that point seemed to have been on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden, the GJ ceased to exist except as a sham. The people who showed up were not the real jurors and he had never seen them before and he didn't know who they were. He contradicts himself over and over about what happened before and during the two meetings in August and how the arrangements for the use of the courtroom were made. He also contradicts himself about how the True Bills were drafted and how they were filed with the clerk. This is what IG is trying to pass off as simple First Amendment right to assemble and petition for redress of grievances. Meggs kept giving him the rope to string himself up. TT several times strung himself up and Meggs just let him twist in the wind for the jury to see.

At first, I could not decide if TT was deluding himself or was he aware of what he was doing trying to manipulate the jury. Now, I am convinced it was the latter. He was being devious and playing the jurors for fools. What I am not sure of is when he came up with the ploy of declaring the real GJ as a sham and saying that it never met or convened so that he could not break its secrecy or its rules. Also that he had the authority to declare it null and void, exclude the SA and fire the judge in charge of it.

I think SA Meggs was caught a bit off guard by the boldness of the lies. Were these new claims he had not heard before? I had the feeling they were novel inventions. I wish I could have seen the jurors' reactions. It certainly gave them all they needed as it totally wiped out his credibility.

Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:10 am

esseff44 wrote: :snippity:
I think SA Meggs was caught a bit off guard by the boldness of the lies. Were these new claims he had not heard before? I had the feeling they were novel inventions. I wish I could have seen the jurors' reactions. It certainly gave them all they needed as it totally wiped out his credibility.
I definitely think he was caught off guard.

There was a point at the beginning of day 4 (sorry can't pinpoint the time) when Meggs wanted to bring back two witnesses even though they had been released and had seen some of Trussell's testimony (in violation of the sequestration order). When it was pointed out that Meggs had released the witnesses he said something along the lines of "I never would have guessed that Trussell would claim the grand jury never met."

At that same time, IG seemed to be having an "out of body experience" arguing that the witnesses were tainted -- kept saying the witnesses wouldn't be saying what they were saying if they hadn't heard Trussell's testimony which was just bizarre since they were making brief factual statements about what happened in August 2014, which was in no way related to what Trussell said or didn't say. It was like trying to argue that 1+1=2 and her argument was "potato".

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:21 am

Dr. Blue wrote:There was a point at the beginning of day 4 (sorry can't pinpoint the time) when Meggs wanted to bring back two witnesses even though they had been released and had seen some of Trussell's testimony (in violation of the sequestration order). When it was pointed out that Meggs had released the witnesses he said something along the lines of "I never would have guessed that Trussell would claim the grand jury never met."

At that same time, IG seemed to be having an "out of body experience" arguing that the witnesses were tainted -- kept saying the witnesses wouldn't be saying what they were saying if they hadn't heard Trussell's testimony which was just bizarre since they were making brief factual statements about what happened in August 2014, which was in no way related to what Trussell said or didn't say. It was like trying to argue that 1+1=2 and her argument was "potato".
It wasn't the watching of the testimony that violated the sequestration order. Once they had been released from the order they were free to sit in the gallery and watch the rest of the trial. It was the later testimony that violated the sequestration order, which the judge "cured" with a jury instruction.

I agree that Meggs could not have seen that coming. But you never know what's going to happen in a trial. In the military the question is always whether the witness is "subject to recall," and the answer, in my mind, should always be "yes."
Off Topic
I once had a case at the trial level where the accused was charged with raping three different women (all acquaintance rape scenarios). Under the military rules, victims are allowed to watch the entire trial, even if they are also witnesses. We made a motion to exclude the victims from the courtroom, and the motion was denied. Two of the three victims remained in the courtroom throughout the entire trial; the other was only present for her own testimony. We got acquittals on the two who stayed in the courtroom. During post-trial voir dire of the panel they said that they considered the victims' demeanor as they sat there in the courtroom laughing, rolling their eyes at defense evidence, etc., and it impacted their credibility.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:49 pm

esseff44 wrote:The cross was worth watching a couple of times even if one doesn't have time for all the other sessions. In the first part, TT wants everyone to know how smart he is and what a great businessman and civic-minded citizen he is. He says he was not involved in politics until the Tea Party started forming and he was elected local chairman. He invites speakers to talk about various educational topics such as truthers, birthers and global warming....basically the CT flavor of the month. That is TT's notion of education...researching and learning about the latest conspiracy theory. He heard SA Seigmeister give a talk to one group in Lake City about CLGJ and how they were extralegal and were in no way a substitute or could be compared to statutory Grand Juries. This is where the wheels start to come off the bus. It's like a challenge for him to figure out a way to substitute the CLGJ for a real GJ . Somehow, he and his CLGJ pals have to get rid of or replace Seigmeister and put themselves in charge in a clever little bloodless putsch. For it to be legit under the CLGJ rules, they have to assemble in the court house. So, it's a happy coincidence that TT gets put on a real GJ and gets himself appointed foreman. He gets upset with the SA when he brings up the Common Core issues and the SA tells him that it's all legal and there's nothing that the GJ or the SA can do about it. That's when the concoct the 'charges' against him and the other officials.

What I couldn't tell in the testimony from TT was when he realized that Meggs had him in a trap with his breaking the GJ secrecy oath and other rules. The wriggling around that point seemed to have been on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden, the GJ ceased to exist except as a sham. The people who showed up were not the real jurors and he had never seen them before and he didn't know who they were. He contradicts himself over and over about what happened before and during the two meetings in August and how the arrangements for the use of the courtroom were made. He also contradicts himself about how the True Bills were drafted and how they were filed with the clerk. This is what IG is trying to pass off as simple First Amendment right to assemble and petition for redress of grievances. Meggs kept giving him the rope to string himself up. TT several times strung himself up and Meggs just let him twist in the wind for the jury to see.

At first, I could not decide if TT was deluding himself or was he aware of what he was doing trying to manipulate the jury. Now, I am convinced it was the latter. He was being devious and playing the jurors for fools. What I am not sure of is when he came up with the ploy of declaring the real GJ as a sham and saying that it never met or convened so that he could not break its secrecy or its rules. Also that he had the authority to declare it null and void, exclude the SA and fire the judge in charge of it.

The "GJ didn't exist" ploy they were using to argue that a simulated legal process couldn't exist if there were no legal process. It started I think on day 2 of the trial, when it dawned on Garcia that this case was going to trial.

For months of the pretrial activity, she would consistently raise the point that the fake documents were not indictments but presentments, because they didn't have the word "indictment". Then it was "no victim, no crime", until the deposition of JS, who did essentially say he was victimized. At some point during the first 2 days of trial, I think the judge said "indictment" versus "presentment" didn't matter as long as the State could prove intent. So then it shifted to "filed" versus "recorded", which I believe thoroughly annoyed the jury.

"The Oath" and "Do Your Duty" was something supplied by Terry during his brilliant testimony. I think Meggs didn't plan on exploiting this until after the cross of Terry, where his original plan looked like it was to show that Terry acted on his own (without a 12-vote), outside the rules of the handbook.

If I were a juror, not knowing anything about the case, I would have a complete understanding at the end of trial as to how Terry got there- he demonstrated completely the behavior he was accused of.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Turtle wrote:
If I were a juror, not knowing anything about the case, I would have a complete understanding at the end of trial as to how Terry got there- he demonstrated completely the behavior he was accused of.
My reaction as well. It was better than a tearful confession. When SA Meggs realized what was happening, he couldn't resist drawing attention to it with his tongue-in-cheek questions asking Terry if he felt he was too old to remember things or if he had been having an out of body experience while he was in the DC Grand Jury meetings. It was a jaw-dropping performance and I could see the light bulbs going on above the heads of the jurors. It was very clear when Terry kept insisting he had the authority a foreman to do whatever he wanted to do as a part of his 'presiding' including investigating, dismissing, firing the judge, creating a new panel, drafting and file True Bills and Bills of Information, firing the SA, etc. He scoffed at the notion of a jury acting as a whole or as a body as the instructions stated.

Yes, that was the classic courtroom dramatic climax. It was the "You can't handle the truth!" moment.

Princess foofypants

Re: Day 3 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060816 - Includes Terry's Testimony

Post by Princess foofypants » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:23 am

I can't help but think that each and every one of the jurors must've had a "wow, what an asshole" moment about Trussell during his testimony which is never a good thing.

Patagoniagirl

Re: Day 3 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060816 - Includes Terry's Testimony

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:55 am

Princess foofypants wrote:I can't help but think that each and every one of the jurors must've had a "wow, what an asshole" moment about Trussell during his testimony which is never a good thing.
OH yes! And I think that as the trial progressed the jurors became very aware of the fact that TT had a steel-trap memory of things when Inger questioned him. He was very clear about what his duties were as a foreman of the DCGJ...he studied it. But when the Fabulous Mr. Meggs questioned him, his memory of things became clouded, he was confused by simple questions. He would say things like, "I'm lost now," or "I don't understand what you are trying to ask."

I can't guess what the jury thought at the start of his direct, but the grueling rendition of his childhood days, his daddy, his supposed military exploits, his attempt to explain Johnson's role in the Vietnam war was ridiculous. I guess this was Inger's attempts to humanize him to the jury. I found it repulsive. But then, I am a mean old broad with a bullshit filter. :twisted:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:10 pm

I finally got around to listening to TT's direct testimony. Good god almighty what a jackass! It makes me want to shove a sharp object in my ear.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:36 pm

I havent listened to it yet. I may have to subject myself to that this evening. What torture should I use to make the experience more pleasant? Thumbscrews, the Iron Maiden or the Rack?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Suranis wrote:I havent listened to it yet. I may have to subject myself to that this evening. What torture should I use to make the experience more pleasant? Thumbscrews, the Iron Maiden or the Rack?
Alcohol.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Alcohol.
:thumbs:

I'm still listening to TT's life story. :gag: He can't hold a steady job.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

When I watched Siegmeister's testimony I noticed at the end that he was not released from subpoena because IG planned to recall him during her presentation. Just before she called Terry Trussell to the stand she mentioned that Siegmeister was in the court room. Judge Hankinson pressed her on when she was going to to call him and she didn't know. There was some discussion and she decided to release him. Unless I missed something it was only IG who released him. I suppose that if the State wanted him on rebuttal that would have been the time to have spoken up. Of course they didn't know TT was going to perjure himself.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Reality Check wrote:When I watched Siegmeister's testimony I noticed at the end that he was not released from subpoena because IG planned to recall him during her presentation. Just before she called Terry Trussell to the stand she mentioned that Siegmeister was in the court room. Judge Hankinson pressed her on when she was going to to call him and she didn't know. There was some discussion and she decided to release him. Unless I missed something it was only IG who released him. I suppose that if the State wanted him on rebuttal that would have been the time to have spoken up. Of course they didn't know TT was going to perjure himself.
In the proffer conference on day 4 she complained to the judge that he made her release Siegmeister, and the judge said no he didn't. On day 3, she was wanting to call him back the next day, and the judge pretty much told her if she was going to recall him, she was going to do it then. This was also after she realized there were tight restrictions on what questions she could ask, and Siegmeister was going to destroy what little credibility Terry had left at that point, and not much she could do about it. She said she would motion for a mistrial and the judge said if she did he would likely deny it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I've listened to most of the testimony at 1.5X normal speed. Some of it can be listened to a 2X normal speed.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:55 pm

If you want to watch Terry Tears :crying: it's at 1:51:00 of the Day 3 PM session 1 video. It's quite touching in a completely nauseating kind of way.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Reality Check wrote:If you want to watch Terry Tears :crying: it's at 1:51:00 of the Day 3 PM session 1 video. It's quite touching in a completely nauseating kind of way.
Thanks, RC. I didn't view that video yet.

IG was so taken with that performance that she didn't even skip a beat. She didn't wait even three seconds. She just jumped ahead and asked another question about whether Trussell had any other interactions with Seigmeister. :lol:

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Reality Check wrote:If you want to watch Terry Tears :crying: it's at 1:51:00 of the Day 3 PM session 1 video. It's quite touching in a completely nauseating kind of way.
Ahem... Did you miss my post requesting posts like this to be forwarded to me via PM to help with time stamping testimony? Hmmmm??? :crying: I haven't recieved a single PM from anybody. :crying: :crying:

Orlylicious

Re: Day 3 Videos STATE OF FLORIDA v TERRY TRUSSELL 060816 - Incl Terry's Testimony, Jury Tampering, Annie White

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:34 pm

New index features and timecodes for each video in progress! Check out the first message for details. Please help us expand it.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Karen Walker wrote:Did anyone else hear IG say, "Mr. Dowdell is here"? It was right at the very beginning of the afternoon session. I listened a few times & it sure sounded like it but she wasn't at the mic & may be my wishful thinking.
Yes, I heard that. He was on IG's list of fake grand jury members to testify when she decided to not call him. I think the Judge was getting on her case because after three of them it was more of same. I will see if I can find a time stamp and PM it to Orlylicious and Karen Walker.

Return to “Terry Trussell”