A Poll - Will Trussell be Found Guilty? And if so how much time will he get?

Will Trussell be found guilty? If so, how much time will he get?

He will be found guilty of at least one charge.
43%
He will be found not guilty of all charges.
4%
He will be sentenced to probation.
4%
He will be sentenced to some time in jail not exceeding 6 months.
5%
He will be sentenced to between 6 months and one day to one year in jail.
8%
He will be sentenced to between 1 year and a day to 2 years in prison.
16%
He will be sentenced to between 2 years and a day to 3 years in prison.
6%
He will be sentenced to between 3 years and a day to 4 years in prison.
6%
He will be sentenced to more than 4 years in prison.
9%

Total votes: 140

Sterngard Friegen

Re: A Poll - Will Trussell be Found Guilty? And if so how much time will he get?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:I wonder if Trussell's smirk means he knows something (about a juror, perhaps) that we don't know.
Uhmmmm. I think so.
Are you home safe? Thank you for your service.

Piffle

Re: A Poll - Will Trussell be Found Guilty? And if so how much time will he get?

Post by Piffle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:
esseff44 wrote:I am with the worriers. All is takes is one stubborn, government-hating individualist to vote 'not guilty' no matter how clear the evidence is that TT broke the law. I think it would be hard to pick a jury in Dixie County and not seat at least one of those. A huge jury is very likely.
Out of curiosity, how does Dixie County compare to Broward? Because A. Williams was recently tried and convicted in Broward for his horseshit sovrun stuff. I am just wondering as I've never been to either.
Uh, I hate to point this out, but the first time Anthony Williams was tried the result was a hung jury.

There's another issue that hasn't been discussed much in this thread which, IMHO, militates against a slam-dunk conviction: The charges are just plain weird (or may appear weird to some).

Everyone knows what murder is -- or robbery or rape or assault or pick your felony. But who's ever heard of a crime called simulating legal process? In addition to convincing the jury that all of the elements of the crime have been proven, the prosecutor in this case has the implied burden of convincing the jury that TT's actions really constitute a crime deserving punishment. Naturally, this isn't a legal requirement, and the judge will no doubt instruct the jury that if the elements of simulating process have been proven, it is the jury's responsibility to return a guilty verdict. Nevertheless, there's a risk that one or more of the jurors will balk at convicting someone of a crime they've never heard of. What would better feed the contrarian impulses of a conspiracy theorist or anti-government type than a made-up crime?

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Orlylicious wrote:My bet is still on convicted and 4+ years. This has the attention of the top DA, the Judge is pissed, the clerk has the jury's clerk for 27 years and TT is an interloper. Plus he's GUILTY.

:snippity:
Yes, but the DA, the judge and the clerk don't get to vote with the jury. It just takes one juror to hang the jury.

On the other hand Meggs is experienced and IG seems to be doing a poor job.
Bingo. All rests with the jury.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:I think Trussell smirks out of arrogance. The same "I know more than you/them/everyone here" attitude that led him to believe he knew the law when he didn't. He sees Inger make an ineffective objection and he beams reportedly. Nevermind that it was overruled. That, and he's loving the attention, which probably makes him feel like some kind of sovrun folk hero.
I would listen to a BOTG, who has posted just above you.

I am hoping Trussell testifies and commits lots and lots of perjury. If there is an acquittal or hung jury here, Trussell could be charged again.

boots

Post by boots » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Piffle wrote:
Techno Luddite wrote:
esseff44 wrote:I am with the worriers. All is takes is one stubborn, government-hating individualist to vote 'not guilty' no matter how clear the evidence is that TT broke the law. I think it would be hard to pick a jury in Dixie County and not seat at least one of those. A huge jury is very likely.
Out of curiosity, how does Dixie County compare to Broward? Because A. Williams was recently tried and convicted in Broward for his horseshit sovrun stuff. I am just wondering as I've never been to either.
Uh, I hate to point this out, but Anthony Williams's first trial resulted in a hung jury.

There's another issue that hasn't been discussed much in this thread which, IMHO, militates against a slam-dunk conviction: The charges are just plain weird (or may appear weird to some).

Everyone knows what murder is -- or robbery or rape or assault or pick your felony. But who's ever heard of a crime called simulating legal process? In addition to convincing the jury that all of the elements of the crime have been proven, the prosecutor in this case has the implied burden of convincing the jury that TT's actions really constitute a crime deserving punishment. Naturally, this isn't a legal requirement, and the judge will no doubt instruct the jury that if the elements of simulating process have been proven, it is the jury's responsibility to return a guilty verdict. Nevertheless, there's a risk that one or more of the jurors will balk at convicting someone of a crime they've never heard of. What would better feed the contrarian impulses of a conspiracy theorist or anti-government type than a made-up crime?

To me they're not weird, at all. It outlaws fake courts and lynch mobs. Everyone can relate to a lynch mob, having seen a few westerns here and there. And these statutes are old. And under-utilized.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:To me they're not weird, at all. It outlaws fake courts and lynch mobs. Everyone can relate to a lynch mob, having seen a few westerns here and there. And these statutes are old. And under-utilized.
:clap:

I hope someone puts it in just those terms for the jury. :thumbs:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Orlylicious wrote:That's pretty insulting about Dixie County, I understand they aren't Broward but they are good people. They're doing their best there in tough times with a lousy, uncaring Governor who won't expand Medicare or support people. I believe they will follow the law and this case is really, really clear.
I am sure that most of the folks in Dixie County are very good people. However I also suspect that there is a much higher proportion of Dixie County folks who are sympathetic to the Tea Party or who believe in CLGJs or who watch Fox News and Glen Beck etc. than there would be in a more diverse and urban county. Yes, they are suffering tough times. People who are suffering are fertile ground for those who exploit suffering to advance political agendas.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Techno Luddite wrote: To me they're not weird, at all. It outlaws fake courts and lynch mobs. Everyone can relate to a lynch mob, having seen a few westerns here and there. And these statutes are old. And under-utilized.
I think you're missing the point. It's not important whether you or I think these laws are weird (I don't think they're weird either). My point is that I believe it is easier to convict someone of an offense with which jurors are familiar -- something they knew was a crime before becoming a juror.

And the statutes are generally not old. At this point, I think only a minority of states have criminal laws broadly proscribing simulated legal process. Of those that do, the stronger and broader statutes tend to have been passed recently, thanks largely to the growth of the sovshit movement. Some states have specifically outlawed subsets of processes, such as liens.

If the jury finds him guilty, Trussell will be the first person to have been tried and convicted under Florida's new simulated legal process law.

boots

Post by boots » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Well, maybe that particular florida statute is new, but a lot of states have had such laws on the books for decades. Oregon, we found out, since the 70s, in the Bundistan thread.

There are a lot of crimes that are not classic, old time blood and guts crimes. But I guess to some that might be confusing. I just hope for justice to be done, and am not there in person, so what do I know anyway? Based on that limited knowledge, he seems guilty for me and I think he'll be convicted.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm not changing my vote. It would be an embarrassment to the State of Florida if he walks. With Mark Schmidter's admitted attempted jury tampering, I'd think a mistrial is more likely. When they were discussing the bogus liens with a FDLE witness, they mentioned that a Sheriffs deputy in Leon County was at his own home's CLOSING when they discovered the bogus lien and it stopped the closing. That's one reason why they made the new law. People can relate to that. Mr. Meggs should say, folks you could be next to be targeted by these paper terrorists.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:I wonder if Trussell's smirk means he knows something (about a juror, perhaps) that we don't know.
Uhmmmm. I think so.
Are you home safe? Thank you for your service.
A belated yes I am home, and thank you. Terry smirks, I think, both out of ignorant arrogance and like someone who laughs when nervous. Game face. He may think he has some inside with Jurors or not. I think he thinks his previous interaction with the community will give him some points. That remains to be seen. I am hoping that the jurors start realizing in the back of their minds that he listed ordinary citizens for arrest, and how that would make them feel if they were on those papers. I certainly did not encounter anyone who vocalized that they thought he was an ass. On the contrary. That is what has concerned me.

I have vacillated between not guilty and hung jury, but the latest testimony I have watched gives me hope for a conviction on at least one count. I thought I read one thing with the jury, but now think a bit different. We shall know soon. Still, I think there is. One hold out.

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Not changing my initial vote of guilty on at least one count and sentenced to 4+ years but after reading and watching a good deal of the trial, I going to guess a hung jury is not a bad bet. It would be a travesty if he walks completely.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm

I think if there was going to be a full acquittal it would have happened by now. I'm really hoping it's not a hung jury. But if it is a hung jury it would be so sweetly ironic for Trussell to get his wish of a change of venue (which, given the admitted jury tamoering in the case the state certainly has a decent argument for trying the charges elsewhere). And maybe they can add the purjury charges.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Maybenaut wrote:I think if there was going to be a full acquittal it would have happened by now. I'm really hoping it's not a hung jury. But if it is a hung jury it would be so sweetly ironic for Trussell to get his wish of a change of venue (which, given the admitted jury tamoering in the case the state certainly has a decent argument for trying the charges elsewhere). And maybe they can add the purjury charges.
I would think a hung jury would not be the basis for a change of venue...but WTF do I know. That said, the time going on here suggests to me a hung jury.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Off topic? I am hoping Gimmyshits gets charged with jury tampering.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:I think if there was going to be a full acquittal it would have happened by now. I'm really hoping it's not a hung jury. But if it is a hung jury it would be so sweetly ironic for Trussell to get his wish of a change of venue (which, given the admitted jury tamoering in the case the state certainly has a decent argument for trying the charges elsewhere). And maybe they can add the purjury charges.
I would think a hung jury would not be the basis for a change of venue...but WTF do I know. That said, the time going on here suggests to me a hung jury.
Of itself, a hung jury may not be enough. But given that there's already been a trial there coupled with the jury tampering, it might be.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Of itself, a hung jury may not be enough. But given that there's already been a trial there coupled with the jury tampering, it might be.
Ah, yes. I was thinking that Inger might want a change of venue. Duh.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
I think the state might.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
I think the state might.
What I meant to infer.

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Due to the hour, my guess would be the jury has been sent home.

Just a guess. If they preferred to go into the night, the judge will allow it. At least Tina certain extent.

Back in the day I waited on juries sometimes as late as midnight or so.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Need to add a new choice: Sentence will be between 10 and 20 years per the sentencing worksheet. #JusticeForTerry

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:29 pm

I think he might be found guilty. :-

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Maybe I should consider voting now.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Orlylicious wrote:Need to add a new choice: Sentence will be between 10 and 20 years per the sentencing worksheet. #JusticeForTerry

Is this range consecutive, concurrent or both?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:27 pm

:-D It must have been way late at night when I recorded my vote, I clearly didn't read correctly. I voted that he would be found NOT guilty of all charges and he would be sentenced to more than 4 years. How is that for confidence in our legal system! :rotflmao:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Terry Trussell”