Bundy Trials - Nevada

Sugar Magnolia

Bundy Trials - Nevada

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm

So we can use this one when there are actual trials to post about.

esseff44

Re: Bundy Trials - Nevada Standoff

Post by esseff44 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:49 pm

There already another with the same name. Old one renamed for Nevada.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 pm

I understand that, but the old one isn't actually about NV. It's 35 pages of OR posts. Searching on the board is hard enough as it is, and the 2 Bundy standoffs are already confusing. Changing from OR to NV 35 pages into a thread makes no sense. I specifically titled this one identically to Mike's to keep the trial stuff together.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Image[/quote]

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks Sugar! Can anyone do a summary (or point to summarizing posts) on what the current state of all of these threads are for those of us wandering over from the collapse of our 10-page a day Y'all Qaeda habit that don't have it in us to read 35 more pages?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Thanks Sugar! Can anyone do a summary (or point to summarizing posts) on what the current state of all of these threads are for those of us wandering over from the collapse of our 10-page a day Y'all Qaeda habit that don't have it in us to read 35 more pages?
Mike's OR thread has a list of the arrestees (although I think the group with Blaine Cooper, maybe?) related to the NV standoff because he's way more organized than I am and probably a better typist. There's a bunch of OR stuff in the other NV thread because it got renamed from OR to NV after 35 pages. This one was my attempt to have a place to put the Cliven Bundy stuff from 2 years ago in NV.

Or not.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Here's the PACER index for Cliven Bundy in Oregon, where he was arrested and incarcerated:
Date Filed # Docket Text
02/11/2016 1 Documents Received From Other Court as to Cliven D. Bundy from USDC District of Nevada(Las Vegas); Their Case No: 2:16-mj-000127-PAL. (Attachments: # 1[RECAP] arrest warrant from Las Vegas) (cib) (Entered: 02/11/2016)

02/11/2016 2 Defendant Information Relative to a Criminal Case Sheet as to Defendant Cliven D. Bundy. (In accordance with Fed. R. Crim. P. 49.1 this form document containing personal data identifiers is filed under seal). (cib) (Entered: 02/11/2016)

02/11/2016 3 Minutes of Proceedings: Initial Appearance pursuant to Rule Rule 5(c)(3) Proceedings before Magistrate Judge Janice M. Stewart as to Cliven D. Bundy on complaint from the District of Nevada. Defendant concedes identity. Defendant advised of rights and waived reading of the charges. Order Appointing Counsel Ruben L. Iniguez for Cliven D. Bundy for today only. Order appointing CJA panel attorney if defendant qualifies for appointed counsel. Financial Affidavit to be submitted. A Detention Hearing is set for Tuesday, 2/16/2016 at 01:30PM before the duty magistrate judge. A Preliminary Hearing is set for Friday, 2/19/2016 at 01:30PM before the duty magistrate judge. Order DETAINED pending the 2/16/16 detention hearing. Counsel Present for Plaintiff: Charles Gorder. Counsel Present for Defendant: Ruben Iniguez. (Court Reporter Jill Jessup) (jlr) (Entered: 02/11/2016)
I attach the arrest warrant, which I don't believe we've seen.

Cliven will be transported back to Nevada, so this is the correct place to put this stuff even though it is temporarily from Oregon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GlimDropper

Re: Bundy Trials - Nevada

Post by GlimDropper » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 pm

JJ of the numbered conspirators:

JJ MacNab ‏@jjmacnab 26m26 minutes ago

Unnamed Conspirators:
#1 Ryan Bundy
#2 Ammon Bundy
#3 Ryan Payne
#4 Pete Santilli

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm

So Santilli, who's prancing around fancying himself as an embedded reporter (remember his ill fated trip to the Mexican border?) now finds himself indicted or about to be indicted in two separate district courts. He'll be spending the next two years in court and then the following 10-15 in prison. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I hope the ACLU drops him now like the hot pistol that he is.

Same is true about Cliven's fellow co-conspirators. How many of his own children can Cliven get incarcerated as members of his gang?

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:50 pm

The Nevada indictment is particularly unkind to Santilli (#4).

It's arguable that he was more reporter than participant in OR, but he was clearly an active participant, partner, and conspirator in NV. It's no wonder the DOJ pushed so hard to keep him detained - they knew that Santilli would be in a couple of worlds more hurt by the time this indictment hit the press.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

chancery

Post by chancery » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

From a commentator at Lawyers Guns & Money:
A name like Cliven Bundy feels tailor made for a poem:

Cliven Bundy
Born on a Monday
Stole on a Tuesday
Insurrectionist on a Wednesday
Arrested on a Thursday
Stood trial on a Friday
Convicted on a Saturday
Imprisoned on a Sunday
That was the end of Cliven Bundy.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 pm

crossposting my question from the Oregon thread
RTH10260 wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: :snippity:

Cliven will never get out of prison -- assuming he is convicted. And I expect many, many more arrests. And if the ACLU thinks it can help get Santilli out of jail for the Oregon occupation, it will be a futile mission. Santilli is going to be spending a lot of time in prison for the 2014 Nevada "standoff," and he's not going to get bail.
Does anybody remember if we have SaintSilly clips from the Nevada Standoff in a thread on TFB? Do I need to search Youtube for remnants, if yes, anybody have a direct link for me before hunting myself? Thanks!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Pete Santilli has his own channel on YouTube. All his stuff is archived there.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:27 am

GlimDropper wrote:JJ of the numbered conspirators:

Unnamed Conspirators:
#1 Ryan Bundy
#2 Ammon Bundy
#3 Ryan Payne
#4 Pete Santilli
JJ MacNab ‏@jjmacnab 4h4 hours ago
The 2014 Bundy Ranch criminal complaint didn't have any new info in it. http://www.seditionists.com/bundy_criminal1.pdf
7 retweets 15 likes
Reply Retweet 7
Like 15
More
Unnamed Conspirators:
#1 Ryan Bundy
#2 Ammon Bundy
#3 Ryan Payne
#4 Pete Santilli
15 retweets 28 likes
Reply Retweet 15
Like 28
More
While I may have been defending Pete Santilli for some of his role in Oregon, I offer no such defenses for his role in Nevada.
9 retweets 23 likes
Reply Retweet 9
Like 23
More
Pete almost got someone killed when he falsely identified a rodeo cowboy as working for the feds just because the guy's truck was in town.
Aside from the fact that I find Santilli really really annoying, is there a real chance he will be indicted for his actions in 2014 at the Bundy Ranch?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

June bug

Post by June bug » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:01 am

Pete almost got someone killed when he falsely identified a rodeo cowboy as working for the feds just because the guy's truck was in town.
Don't I remember Pete trying the same thing at Malheur - claiming a counter-protester was a federal plant?

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:23 am

June bug wrote:
Don't I remember Pete trying the same thing at Malheur - claiming a counter-protester was a federal plant?
Yes, just as the Sharp Family Singers were entertaining on the big day of the Signing, he was shrieking at one of the counter protesters accusing him of working for the feds.

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

chancery

Post by chancery » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 am

Volkonski wrote:

Unnamed Conspirators:
#1 Ryan Bundy
#2 Ammon Bundy
#3 Ryan Payne
#4 Pete Santilli

Aside from the fact that I find Santilli really really annoying, is there a real chance he will be indicted for his actions in 2014 at the Bundy Ranch?
The affidavit supporting the criminal complaint against Cliven Bundy for the 2014 Bundy Ranch conspiracy contains copious damning quotes from co-conspirator No. 4, quotes which have been reliably traced back to Santilli. So I think it's very likely that Santilli will be named in the indictment which will eventually supersede the criminal complaint.

In fact at first I was puzzled why you would consider the issue doubtful. I've concluded that your question is prompted by the absence of an obvious reason why Santilli is referred to anonymously as "co-conspirator" rather than being named as one of the defendants. Failure to name a co-conspirator can certainly sometimes reflect a policy decision not to prosecute a particular individual. Cheney, as I recall, was named anonymously as a co-conspirator in the Scooter Libby indictment but never charged. I doubt that a similar decision has been made not to prosecute Santilli here.

So why wasn't he named? My guess is as follows. The FBI has been working on this for a while. While I've never worked in law enforcement, I'm sure that such charging documents go through multiple revisions. I suspect that for a lengthy investigation, an effort is made to have a version ready at all times in usable final form (final form requiring multiple sign-offs from FBI & Justice Department management) for instant use if circumstances dictate an immediate arrest. But management sign-offs take work and time, so you don't update the "ready for immediate use version" every time the ongoing investigation turns up some new nuggets. Plus I suspect that the lawyers and FBI agents working on this had lots of other projects on their plate.

My guess is that the Bundy complaint was put into substantially its present form sometime in 2014, with the expectation that it would be used to arrest Bundy first, and then serve as a template for subsequent operations against the other 4, who were spread out in different locations. I'm also guessing that one of the reasons it wasn't used immediately was that arresting Bundy peacefully at his ranch presented difficulties. The government was probably still trying to come up with a satisfactory tactical plan while simultaneously hoping that a chance to jump him would emerge serendipitously.

When the Malheur occupation started to ramp up, I imagine that work on the Bundy Ranch 2014 complaint moved to the back burner as resources were shifted to Oregon. When the government realized this week that Bundy was about to drop himself into its lap at PDX, they probably grabbed last year's most recent "ready-to-go" version, did a quick check to make sure that subsequent events hadn't rendered any of it ill-advised, and then went ahead and filed it. A new version will issue in due course to arrest Santilli, but there's no urgency. He's not going anywhere. And come to think of it, if discussions have already started between the government and Santilli's lawyer, the government might want to use the fact that Santilli had not yet been indicted in the earlier event as an incentive for him to cut a deal ASAP.

Anyhow, complete speculation and excessively long-winded (it's a character flaw some of you may have already noticed), so take it for what it's worth.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:29 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Thanks Sugar! Can anyone do a summary (or point to summarizing posts) on what the current state of all of these threads are for those of us wandering over from the collapse of our 10-page a day Y'all Qaeda habit that don't have it in us to read 35 more pages?
Mike's OR thread has a list of the arrestees (although I think the group with Blaine Cooper, maybe?) related to the NV standoff because he's way more organized than I am and probably a better typist. There's a bunch of OR stuff in the other NV thread because it got renamed from OR to NV after 35 pages. This one was my attempt to have a place to put the Cliven Bundy stuff from 2 years ago in NV.

Or not.
The group with Blain Cooper were actually arrested, at least as far as I can tell from the brief indictment, for their Oregon actions. I believe Cliven is the only one (as of when I went to sleep 6.5 hours ago) to be arrested for anything related to the NV standoff.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 am

chancery wrote:
Volkonski wrote:

Unnamed Conspirators:
#1 Ryan Bundy
#2 Ammon Bundy
#3 Ryan Payne
#4 Pete Santilli

The affidavit supporting the criminal complaint against Cliven Bundy for the 2014 Bundy Ranch conspiracy contains copious damning quotes from co-conspirator No. 4, quotes which have been reliably traced back to Santilli. So I think it's very likely that Santilli will be named in the indictment which will eventually supersede the criminal complaint.

In fact at first I was puzzled why you would consider the issue doubtful. I've concluded that your question is prompted by the absence of an obvious reason why Santilli is referred to anonymously as "co-conspirator" rather than being named as one of the defendants. Failure to name a co-conspirator can certainly sometimes reflect a policy decision not to prosecute a particular individual. Cheney, as I recall, was named anonymously as a co-conspirator in the Scooter Libby indictment but never charged. I doubt that a similar decision has been made not to prosecute Santilli here.

So why wasn't he named? My guess is as follows. The FBI has been working on this for a while. While I've never worked in law enforcement, I'm sure that such charging documents go through multiple revisions. I suspect that for a lengthy investigation, an effort is made to have a version ready at all times in usable final form (final form requiring multiple sign-offs from FBI & Justice Department management) for instant use if circumstances dictate an immediate arrest. But management sign-offs take work and time, so you don't update the "ready for immediate use version" every time the ongoing investigation turns up some new nuggets. Plus I suspect that the lawyers and FBI agents working on this had lots of other projects on their plate.

My guess is that the Bundy complaint was put into substantially its present form sometime in 2014, with the expectation that it would be used to arrest Bundy first, and then serve as a template for subsequent operations against the other 4, who were spread out in different locations. I'm also guessing that one of the reasons it wasn't used immediately was that arresting Bundy peacefully at his ranch presented difficulties. The government was probably still trying to come up with a satisfactory tactical plan while simultaneously hoping that a chance to jump him would emerge serendipitously.

When the Malheur occupation started to ramp up, I imagine that work on the Bundy Ranch 2014 complaint moved to the back burner as resources were shifted to Oregon. When the government realized this week that Bundy was about to drop himself into its lap at PDX, they probably grabbed last year's most recent "ready-to-go" version, did a quick check to make sure that subsequent events hadn't rendered any of it ill-advised, and then went ahead and filed it. A new version will issue in due course to arrest Santilli, but there's no urgency. He's not going anywhere. And come to think of it, if discussions have already started between the government and Santilli's lawyer, the government might want to use the fact that Santilli had not yet been indicted in the earlier event as an incentive for him to cut a deal ASAP.

Anyhow, complete speculation and excessively long-winded (it's a character flaw some of you may have already noticed), so take it for what it's worth.
Thanks, that's helpful. I find Santilli so really really annoying that my desire for him to be arrested for any and all infractions clouds my ability to rationally analyze his situation. ;)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:51 am

esseff44 wrote:Pete Santilli has his own channel on YouTube. All his stuff is archived there.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PeterSantilliTV
https://www.youtube.com/user/PeterSantilliTV/videos
spreaker stream: audio only: http://www.spreaker.com/user/thepetesantillishow

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:06 am

Happy to see this in the press. :) I wonder if Deb Jordan and SSG Moe have seen this article? ;)

4 Occupation Leaders Could Also Face Charges in Nevada

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-or ... mc.twitter
The complaint does not name those co-conspirators, but details in the document make it possible to identify them as Cliven Bundy’s sons Ryan and Ammon Bundy, Montana militia leader Ryan Payne and Internet broadcasterPeter Santilli.

“On April 12, Bundy and his co-conspirators organized and led a massive armed assault against federal law enforcement officers,” the complaint states.

:snippity:

“I cannot confirm it, butI suspect that that Co-conspirator 4 may well be Pete Santilli,” said Santilli’s defense attorney, Tom Coan.
Coan said he is preparing for the possibility that his client will face charges in Nevada as well as in Oregon.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am

Volkonski wrote:
Thanks, that's helpful. I find Santilli so really really annoying that my desire for him to be arrested for any and all infractions clouds my ability to rationally analyze his situation. ;)
You are not the only one. I know two people who really want Santilli in jail for a long time, because he is just that annoying. I find Santilli annoying too, but I will wait for a jury of his peers to pass judgment.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:13 am

Gargoyle ‏@Patztense 3h3 hours ago
@jjmacnab @msbellows Anticipating impending legal action, Bundy militants are promoting jury nullification

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am

Now Santilli can work on prison reform from the inside. He's going to have a new point of view.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:15 am

mmmirele wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
You are not the only one. I know two people who really want Santilli in jail for a long time, because he is just that annoying. I find Santilli annoying too, but I will wait for ajury of his peers to pass judgment.
Where will the courts find 12 people who are as annoying as Santilli? ;)

Return to “Bundy Ranch/Malheur NWR”