Chosen Country A Rebellion in the West by James Pogue

Kendra

Re: Chosen Country A Rebellion in the West by James Pogue

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am

Now getting some background on Skousen, his pocket constitution and The White Horse Prophecy. Wiki page on TWHP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Prophecy

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 am

The author was there to report on Sugar Pine Mine. Let's see how many familiar names pop up in this chapter. Like:
Edit: Correct typo, slightly not lightly
A slightly batty, gray-bearded, and very tan little man came up to him [Joseph Rice]. I didn't know it at the time, but this was Neil Wampler, who would later end up going on trial with Ammon over the Malheur takeover, and who, back in the seventies, when he was twenty--nine, had been convicted of murdering his father in a drunken rage. :snippity:
"I just want to get involved"...'if there was any chance for some of that more, you know, tactical training, I would be ready for that."
There is a long-ish foot note on this page about Wampler's past, and a quote from Wampler about the crime committed in a drunken rage.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am

Kendra wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 am
The author was there to report on Sugar Pine Mine. Let's see how many familiar names pop up in this chapter. Like:
A lightly batty, gray-bearded, and very tan little man came up to him [Joseph Rice]. I didn't know it at the time, but this was Neil Wampler, who would later end up going on trial with Ammon over the Malheur takeover, and who, back in the seventies, when he was twenty--nine, had been convicted of murdering his father in a drunken rage. :snippity:
"I just want to get involved"...'if there was any chance for some of that more, you know, tactical training, I would be ready for that."
There is a long-ish foot note on this page about Wampler's past, and a quote from Wampler about the crime committed in a drunken rage.
"Lightly batty"? :-D

On a first-name basis with Ammon. I smell something. (Yeah, I know it's probably to distinguish him from the other 50 million Bundys.)

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am
Kendra wrote:
A lightly batty, gray-bearded, and very tan little man came up to him [Joseph Rice]. I didn't know it at the time, but this was Neil Wampler, who would later end up going on trial with Ammon over the Malheur takeover, and who, back in the seventies, when he was twenty--nine, had been convicted of murdering his father in a drunken rage. :snippity:

On a first-name basis with Ammon. I smell something. (Yeah, I know it's probably to distinguish him from the other 50 million Bundys.)
The typo is mine, not the author's. Insomnia is my enemy two mornings in a row. I will go and correct the original quote, thank you for pointing it out.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

Kendra wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am
Kendra wrote:

The typo is mine, not the author's. Insomnia is my enemy two mornings in a row. I will go and correct the original quote, thank you for pointing it out.
I thought it was "lightly batty" for real, which I thought was pretty good writing. Lightly, slightly—Wampler is batty!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:37 am

:daydream:

It is kind of fun with all this poot name dropping.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 am

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exq8 ... 0747-v22n9

Pogue did write about Sugar Pine Mine.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:29 pm

About Ryan:
At the refuge, he was always casually tossing off lines like "It's gonna get violent", or "Guns show we're serious," which then Ammon would have to walk back.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:33 pm

The family has been ranching in what would become Clark County since 1877, when they descended the Virgin River gorge from Utah to Nevada, in a secondary wave of Mormon settlement.
:fingerwag:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:45 pm

The family homesteaded on 160 deeded acres and developed their own breed of cattle, good for the desert - tough little humpbacked Brahman cows with gorgeous coloration that looks uncannily like polished tiger's-eye stone. And after the Grazing Service came into existence, in 1932, they claimed the grazing rights on three hundred thousand acres of the Gold Butte allotment.
I thought Cliven's papa bought those 160 acres in the 1950s? Asking for a friend.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Shawnana needed an underground safe house when she was in Vegas?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Then the same fawning Fox News stringer, playing hero, approached the corral, waving a white flag.
Is this Dennis Michael Lynch he's talking about?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:33 pm
The family has been ranching in what would become Clark County since 1877, when they descended the Virgin River gorge from Utah to Nevada, in a secondary wave of Mormon settlement.
:fingerwag:
Yeah, well, unfortunately since "patriots" have a lot of time their version of events tends to take prime Google real estate, which is why non-patriot people I meet think the Bundy and Hammond families were done wrong by big bad gubbmint.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm

These chapters just bounce all over the place. Now back to Sugar Pine Mine and Stanley/Blaine finally gets a mention.

:snippity:
...and I mentioned a video that had been made by Blaine Cooper, a moody wing nut who would end up being one of the core group at the Malheur standoff. In the video he was driving full-speed up toward the mine, talking about "heavy hitters" coming in and announcing grandly, "We can't let the Chinese or the government have the gold - it belongs to the people."
Anyone recall seeing this video? Oh, and Jason Patrick wandered in and out of this chapter at Sugar Pine Mine. No mention if he had any gunz.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:15 pm

“Slightly batty” and “Moody.” It’s like the seven dwarfs, er, American heroes.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:20 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:15 pm
“Slightly batty” and “Moody.” It’s like the seven dwarfs, er, American heroes.
:lol: :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 pm

I had already greeted Brandon Rapolla, who had rolled into the refuge in his big blue Ram diesel, with what look like supplies to survive two world wars in the bed... :snippity:

Yes still...they needed snax. Time to revisit this gem.

Anyone able to refresh me on who Rapolla was?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Anyone able to refresh me on who Rapolla was?
only 7 results for a Fogbow search - includes your post and duplicates
► Show Spoiler

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Rapolla is an Oregon poot - from an HCN article.
Brandon Rapolla: This former Marine is a member of Oath Keepers, head of militia group Oregon Tactical, and a leader of the Pacific Patriots Network. He was in Clark County, Nevada to support Cliven Bundy during the standoff with the BLM in April, 2014.
Article https://www.hcn.org/articles/whos-who-a ... huer-bundy

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 pm

You guys rock, thank you.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm

The author and Kjar are just returning from the jaunt to SLC. This is priceless.
We got back to what seemed like a shaggy carnival of misfits. :snippety: Sean and Sandy Anderson, the nutty couple from Wisconsin, were at the gate that morning, lecturing a journalist named Hal Herring, from Alabama by way of Montana, about liberty and guns and abortions and things. He listened to them more or less silently until they got to the abortion part. "I know as much about literty as either of you," he told them, "and if you ever try to tell my daughter what she can or can't do with her body, you'll see real quick how I excercise my gun rights." It turned out that he was sort of backwoods, book-loving, left-wing gun nut - my favorite kind of person - and loved his AR as much as any of them. Sean lterally gulped and went quiet.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm starting to feel all warm and fuzzy, like a reunion and meeting old friends :sarcasm:
I introduced him to Duane Ehmer, a goofy metalworker in his fifties, with a big red nose and a high-honking, drawly, country voice, who had become the unlikely icon of the occupation after he showed up with a black-power .45 revolver on his hip and a gelding named Hellboy in a horse trailer behind his old red pickup.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Hmmm. Remember the documents leaked by a defense attorney to Gary Hunt? The author saved all of them to his hard drive, and is discussing them as best as he can without revealing names and comparing them to at least one person he met early on at the refuge, and surprised how easily the informant played his part. Still reading.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Add “nutty” and “goofy” to the collection.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 pm

I don't think Sean and Sandy made a great impression on the author. LaVoy is up now, I don't know if we'll get remarks on David Fry.

Return to “Bundy Ranch/Malheur NWR”