Ohio US Senate 2018

Addie

Ohio US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Shareblue
Swing state resistance: Sen. Sherrod Brown blows past fundraising records in Ohio

The Senate map in 2018 poses a massive challenge for Democrats, who have to defend 24 seats to Republicans’ 10. But already, one Democratic senator is building up a huge war chest to fight off a GOP challenge.

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) is reporting a fundraising haul of $2.4 million in the first quarter of 2017 — the largest amount he has ever raised outside an election year. He now has $5 million on hand in total — a testament to his wholehearted embrace of the resistance and his high profile in the fight against Donald Trump. ...

His likely Republican opponent will be Ohio state treasurer Josh Mandel, a Tea Partier who is already recruiting for his campaign. Mandel also ran against Brown in 2012, during which he bombarded the airwaves with a series of ridiculous lies, including claims that Brown was urging protestors to defecate on cop cars, that Brown was one of the “main” people responsible for outsourcing, and that the Affordable Care Act “will likely go down as the biggest tax increase in history.”

Despite outspending Brown by $5 million, Mandel lost that election by six points. This time around, Mandel is off to an even rockier start, with his super PAC raising only $320,000 and questions arising about his unusual financial partnership with Tea Party organizer FreedomWorks PAC.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: Ohio US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

Vox
Ohio’s very high-stakes, under-the-radar Senate race, explained

If Democrats have any hope of keeping Ohio competitive and rebuilding the Midwestern blue wall that fell to Donald Trump in 2016, Sherrod Brown needs to win reelection this fall.

“The worry for Brown is that the state has taken a turn toward the Republicans and won’t turn back,” Kyle Kondik, part of the University of Virginia’s Crystal Ball team who quite literally wrote the book on Ohio, told me. “If Brown loses, it’s hard to see how Democrats can really contest the state in 2020 — in fact, they likely wouldn’t even try.”

Ohio swung dramatically toward Republicans in 2016: After President Obama won by 3 percentage points in 2012, Trump beat Hillary Clinton by 8 points. Brown is currently the only Democrat holding statewide elected office in the Buckeye State.

The two-term senator, who was first elected to the Senate in 2006, remains popular in Ohio and might have the right kind of populist persona to play well in this newly minted Trump Country. Brown is still considered a slight favorite to win this November: The UVA Crystal Ball rates the race “Lean Democrat,” as does the Cook Political Report.

The Ohio Senate race is still taking shape after seeing a dramatic shake-up on the Republican side this month. Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel, whom Brown defeated by six points in 2012 and the expected favorite to win the Republican nomination again, withdrew from the race, citing family reasons.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Axios: The 2018 Senate elections to keep an eye on

Ohio: Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown has supported Trump’s trade policies, which could help him keep his seat in a state with many of Trump’s strongest supporters.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 am

New York Times
Trump Won Ohio Handily. Populist Democrats Want to Win It Back.

LORAIN, Ohio — President Trump’s decree placing punitive tariffs on foreign steel raised an outcry in Washington: Republican leaders in Congress warned darkly of a market-rattling trade war. Many Democrats echoed their discomfort, saying Mr. Trump’s broad edict threatened global commerce.

But Senator Sherrod Brown, Democrat of Ohio, offered unreserved applause. Having lobbied the administration in public letters and private meetings to go after Chinese steel imports, he hailed Mr. Trump’s announcement Thursday as a breakthrough. “For far too long,” he said in a statement, “Chinese cheating has shuttered steel plants across our state and put Ohioans out of work.”

If Mr. Brown was a rare supportive voice on tariffs in Congress, his stance was more familiar at home. A veteran critic of pacts like the North American Free Trade Agreement, Mr. Brown, with his limited embrace of Mr. Trump, reflected the political culture of the industrial Midwest and the survival strategy he has pioneered for Democrats there. The president captured Ohio by a resounding margin in 2016, defeating Hillary Clinton by eight percentage points while winning narrowly in neighboring Pennsylvania and Michigan. Democrats now hold only one high office in Ohio — Mr. Brown’s.

As Mr. Brown seeks a third term in 2018, it is his brand of indignant populism setting the tone for Democrats in Ohio, where the governorship and several congressional seats are also up for grabs. Long a crucial swing state, Ohio may now be the most vital proving ground for a progressive economic message in Trump country. Democrats there have adopted a rallying cry that echoes both Mr. Trump’s rhetoric and traditional union-hall populism, assailing Wall Street banks and multinational corporations for exploiting workers and accusing Washington of colluding in their perfidy.

¡Qué vergüenza!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 am

I get email from Sherrod Brown all the time because I've given him money. He's a good guy. I sure would like to see him win again.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 am
I get email from Sherrod Brown all the time because I've given him money. He's a good guy. I sure would like to see him win again.
I follow him on Twitter. He is a good guy and not a plastic politician like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

:like:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 am
I follow him on Twitter. He is a good guy and not a plastic politician like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell.

¡Qué vergüenza!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 am

I wonder whether what we saw in Ohio in 2016 was a pro-Trump vote or an anti-Clinton vote. I do not know why anti-Clinton sentiment would have had a great impact in Ohio but not in Illinois, so it is possible that the people of Ohio took Trump’s bait. However, the Midwestern blue wall did fall only in some places.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 pm

SurveyUSA
In November Look-Ahead: Democrat Brown Has Majority Support for Senate Re-Election No Matter Which Republican Opposes Him ...

Democrat Brown seeks his 3rd term in the Senate. He was elected with 56% of the vote in 2006 --- when he defeated DeWine --- and re-elected in 2012 with 51% of the vote. Today, it's:

* Brown 52%, Renacci 38% --- a 14-point lead for the Democratic incumbent.
* Brown 52%, Gibbons 38% --- a 14-point lead for the Democratic incumbent.
* Brown 52%, Dan Kiley 37% --- a 15-point lead for the Democratic incumbent.
* Brown 53%, Don Eckhart 37% --- a 16-point lead for the Democratic incumbent. ...

* Brown has a breathtakingly strong Plus 28 Net Job Approval: 55% of Ohio voters approve of the job Brown is doing as U.S. Senator, 27% disapprove.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “U.S. Senate”