Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017 - (D) Win

Dolly

Re: Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017 - (D) Win

Post by Dolly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 am

This may have been posted in another thread but I can't find it in a search.
Trump needs a small sign for his desk: THE BUCK STOPS SOMEPLACE ELSE
Trump partly blames Sessions for Republican loss in Alabama: report

President Trump reportedly blamed Attorney General Jeff Sessions for Republican Roy Moore’s loss in Alabama earlier this month because his departure from the Senate to lead the Justice Department necessitated the race.

Trump lamented the loss of the Senate seat to the Democrats and partly put the blame on Sessions for taking up the position at the Justice Department, which triggered the special election, according to a report from the Associated Press on Tuesday.
Trump has long expressed his concerns with Sessions, going as far as to say in July that he would have not hired him if he knew Sessions was going to recuse himself from the investigations into the alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“Sessions should have never recused himself, and if he was going to recuse himself, he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Trump told The New York Times.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... eport.html

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 am

In other words: "I would have never selected him if I knew it would cost me a senate seat."

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 am

It's all Jeffy's fault, I knew it, I love it. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Well, it is true in a sense, if he'd just stayed in the Senate he could have just been a local laughing stock instead of a national one, and then he wouldn't have embarrassed his Master President by letting a Democrat win his seat when they GOP let a wholly unqualified loser run for it. All his fault. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Yup Yup

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 am

Why hasn't Trump ditched him or let him "resign"? He seems willing to dump at will.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 am

Remember. Grump is too much of a coward to fire people face to face. His MO is to torment someone into leaving, or waiting till they are out of the city and then sending a flunky to do it. And he has been humiliating Sessions for months.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 am
Why hasn't Trump ditched him or let him "resign"? He seems willing to dump at will.
I've wondered this, too. I think it was bad timing in the summer when he was so visibly upset at Sessions. They were firing too many people at that time. I think there was also some sentiment that it would not go over well with the Senate to go after Sessions. But I've begun to believe that 45 has been finding things to blackmail senators and representatives. Some who were very open about their dislike for him even early on in his presidency have fallen in line. Lindsay Graham is the first one to come to mind. Or maybe it's just group think on steroids. Also, 45's winning gave them the chance to fulfill their 40-year old wet dreams of destroying the social welfare state. I think social welfare is a good thing, but they hate it

It may cost many of them their office in the 2018 elections. I think this is a price they are willing to pay. They don't get in government to make it a better country for the people. They get in to serve their rich masters. There will be cushy, high-paying jobs waiting for them on the other side, their reward for delivering so much to their overlords.

Even Moore, who lost, will not come out of this a ruined man, an unhappy one, but not a ruined one.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 am
I've wondered this, too. I think it was bad timing in the summer when he was so visibly upset at Sessions. They were firing too many people at that time. I think there was also some sentiment that it would not go over well with the Senate to go after Sessions. But I've begun to believe that 45 has been finding things to blackmail senators and representatives. Some who were very open about their dislike for him even early on in his presidency have fallen in line. Lindsay Graham is the first one to come to mind. Or maybe it's just group think on steroids. Also, 45's winning gave them the chance to fulfill their 40-year old wet dreams of destroying the social welfare state. I think social welfare is a good thing, but they hate it

It may cost many of them their office in the 2018 elections. I think this is a price they are willing to pay. They don't get in government to make it a better country for the people. They get in to serve their rich masters. There will be cushy, high-paying jobs waiting for them on the other side, their reward for delivering so much to their overlords.

Even Moore, who lost, will not come out of this a ruined man, an unhappy one, but not a ruined one.
I agree. We know Graham's email was hacked by Russia because he told us himself. There's a lot going on here.

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 am

I saw on a comment thread a rumour that Graham is homosexual, and has been living with a partner for years. That certainly could be something he would like to keep on the downlow. And frankly, if its true, it would be something I would be considering bringing up on a TV interview if I was interviewing him at this stage, if its obvious he is being blackmailed with it. National security trumps privacy, pun intended.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/roy-m ... le/2644738
Roy Moore's Jewish lawyer voted for Doug Jones, raised money for his campaign
:rotflmao:
The Jewish attorney that Roy Moore's wife touted employing in an attempt to fight off claims of anti-semitism is actually a longtime friend and supporter of Senator-elect Doug Jones, who defeated Moore last month.

Richard Jaffe is an Alabama defense attorney hired by the Moores to defend their son, Caleb Moore, against drug charges in 2016.

Jaffe told the Washington Examiner he has been close personal friends with Doug Jones for over 30 years and he both contributed to, and raised money for, his campaign.

The Birmingham based lawyer walked alongside Jones as he took center stage to deliver his acceptance speech and plans to be in the DC Senate gallery on Wednesday as Jones is sworn in.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Ow wich!!!!! That would leave a mark on someone who actually had any shame.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 am
I saw on a comment thread a rumour that Graham is homosexual, and has been living with a partner for years. That certainly could be something he would like to keep on the downlow. And frankly, if its true, it would be something I would be considering bringing up on a TV interview if I was interviewing him at this stage, if its obvious he is being blackmailed with it. National security trumps privacy, pun intended.
This has been sort of an open secret in this country for many years and no one ever touches it. I don't think that's likely to change.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Suranis wrote:
I saw on a comment thread a rumour that Graham is homosexual...
:-o

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/roy-m ... le/2644738
Roy Moore's Jewish lawyer voted for Doug Jones, raised money for his campaign
Richard Jaffe is an Alabama defense attorney hired by the Moores to defend their son, Caleb Moore, against drug charges in 2016.
There is probably a moral, life lesson, or at minimum practical insight, to be gleaned from this nugget, to wit: when faced with the prospect of supporting your unemployable stoner nogoodnik son for another decade because he is too stupid not to get caught doing dope, you want one of those Democrat Joo lawyers who is good at his* job; you sure as hell don't hire a Larry Klayman or the like for anything important.

*or, in more generic circumstances, her

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm

the write in votes killed Moore.

Even Sassy got votes.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:19 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm
Suranis wrote:
This has been sort of an open secret in this country for many years and no one ever touches it. I don't think that's likely to change.
Agree. Don't think it would be a shocker to many and not something that could be held over him, unless there are salacious specifics.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

Richard "Don't squeeze the" Charnin is whining about being portrayed as a whack job in the media.

Mainstream Media and the Mathematics of Conspiracies
Richard Charnin
Dec. 31, 2017

Mainstream media pundits who called me a JFK / Seth Rich “Conspiracy Theorist” avoided mathematical proofs in my blog posts, five books and the 84-page Moore complaint. They also failed to mention that I was the only analyst in the universe to exactly forecast the electoral vote in each of the last three elections. Granted, a combination of skill and luck. My Blog Posts: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ib2 ... Qw1CM/edit#
He is also thin skinned. A mathematician left a polite comment explaining how his "sensitivity analysis" is completely biased. He removed it.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

USA Today: Alabama's Doug Jones sworn in as senator, narrowing the Republican majority:
Democrat Doug Jones, who pulled off a political upset in the South in December, was sworn in Wednesday as Alabama’s newest senator, narrowing the Republican majority in the U.S. Senate to 51-49.

Former Vice President Joe Biden, a longtime friend of Jones, accompanied the new lawmaker into the Senate chamber.

In the brief ceremony Wednesday, Jones, who carried a family Bible, walked to the front of the Senate chamber with Biden to be sworn in and take the oath of office.

The new senator was then greeted by colleagues, including Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, one of only a handful of Republicans in the chamber.

"He's a good guy,'' Biden told Grassley.

Jones also chatted with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. McConnell had called for Moore to bow out of the race after allegations he had improper sexual contact with teenagers when he was in his 30s.

More than a dozen Democrats were in the chamber to welcome Jones. He was embraced by New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, who campaigned for him in Alabama during the final days leading up to the election.

Jones faces some challenges in the Republican-controlled Senate. He is one of only two Democrats in Alabama’s congressional delegation. Rep. Terri Sewell, who campaigned with Jones across the state, is the other Democrat.

Sewell and former Attorney General Eric Holder sat in the Senate gallery to watch the swearing in.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 am

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I love this picture.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

I like the evil eye. Pence doesn't look too happy.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm
Doug Jones has a big smile on his face.

I bet Joe Biden had a big smile on his face as well.

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:18 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

:rimshot:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm
“Mother, I swear I’m not lusting in my heart.”

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Return to “U.S. Senate”