Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017 - (D) Win

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Transcript of interview with Doug Jones. Long, but interesting read.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/democra ... hdougjones

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:52 am

Cousin.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If a deficit spending, constant golfing, blame shirking, Russia lover is your guy then the next time somebody asks "Hey conservatives,do you love America?" you have to say "Sure,but not as much as I love my side winning."
Neal Brennan

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm
Who was the Xerox repairman? We need his opinion.
Doug Vogt. He'd definitely conclude that all yearbooks everywhere are fake.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am

Bill Clinton's misconduct should not be overlooked. And let's not forget Clarence Thomas. I believe Anita Hill.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am
Bill Clinton's misconduct should not be overlooked. And let's not forget Clarence Thomas. I believe Anita Hill.
Add Joe Biden to your list.

As for Bill--I assume you're talking about his abusive behavior pre-Presidency?

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
:like:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am

p0rtia wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

No. During his Presidency too. I hold him responsible for his own conduct notwithstanding whatever Monica Lewinsky may have done.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am
p0rtia wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

No. During his Presidency too. I hold him responsible for his own conduct notwithstanding whatever Monica Lewinsky may have done.
To me, Lewinsky-Clinton is a different universe than Broderick-Clinton. I can't work up any interest. Indeed I think it muddies the waters for both serious crimes like rape and harassment as well as the deep-seated social issues.

Not that I would stand up for his conduct, either, but...yeah, way bigger fish to fry. Fish that have never before been in the pan over a lit fire.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm

We're talking about misuse of power in most of these situations. President vs. intern is a default misuse of power.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I agree. I came late to this awareness having defended Bill Clinton throughout the 90s, thinking two adults, consensual. But he was her boss, an older man, and POTUS, and it was the Oval Office. He betrayed his wife, lord knows, but that's their business. He also betrayed his high office. I cringe today that I let that aspect of his low down behavior pass. In all honesty, I thought it was more important to keep the RWNJ out of power. I still think so, mostly, but I resent his having put me in the perilous position he did as a voter and as a Democrat.
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm
We're talking about misuse of power in most of these situations. President vs. intern is a default misuse of power.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 017/11/17/
I know Roy Moore. He’s always been a con artist.

In 2004, after Moore was unseated for refusing to obey a court order to remove his Ten Commandments monument and was touring as a kind of full-time martyr for the religious right, I visited the judge in Montgomery, together with a group of students from the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism. In the course of the conversation, Moore launched into his riff about how the founders intended Christianity as the only constitutionally protected religion because they knew nothing else. (The founders were most certainly aware of Jews and Muslims, who appear in the writings of Thomas Jefferson and in the Treaty of Tripoli as “Mussulmen,” the French term. That same treaty, negotiated by the John Adams administration and ratified unanimously by the Senate in 1797, states that “the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”)

Aside from boasts about his constitutional expertise, Moore also asserts that he is a Baptist. (He is a member of First Baptist Church in Gallant, Ala.) Once again, his behavior belies that claim. The Baptist tradition in America is marked by two characteristics. The first is that only adults and older children, not babies, may be baptized. The second is a belief in liberty of conscience and the separation of church and state , which grew in part out of Baptists’ persecution as a minority in early America.

It was Roger Williams, a dissident Puritan who fled to what’s now Rhode Island and became the founder of the Baptist tradition in America, who advocated the separation of the “garden of the church” from the “wilderness of the world” by means of a “wall of separation.” Jefferson, writing to the Baptists of Danbury, Conn., in 1802, employed the same metaphor to summarize his understanding of the First Amendment.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Ugh.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm

So, back to Alabammy..

Heard the Alabama SOS on one of the yackity channels on Sirius today saying they were going to make sure that there were full instructions about write-ins at every polling place..

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm
So, back to Alabammy..

Heard the Alabama SOS on one of the yackity channels on Sirius today saying they were going to make sure that there were full instructions about write-ins at every polling place..
Excellent. Splits the GOP vote.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm
So, back to Alabammy..

Who is going to teach the low-info anti-science pubs to write? Read?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 pm

RE: Roy Moore con artist article on WaPo.

That link didn't work for me. I searched the website and here is another link in case the above doesn't work for others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 51cedbdf25

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 pm

New York Mag
Polls Show Roy Moore Crashing in Alabama

In the eight days since the Washington Post published allegations that Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore engaged in sexual relationships with several teenage girls, he has plummeted in polls, with several now showing him trailing his Democratic opponent, Doug Jones.

On Friday, a Gravis Marketing poll showed Jones with a five-point lead, 47 to 42, a seven-point swing from the last result on November 10, one day after the story broke. “In the last week, the Alabama electorate has turned on Judge Roy Moore,” said Doug Kaplan, the managing partner of Gravis.

The result mirrored other findings. A Fox News poll on Thursday evening showed Jones with a remarkable eight-point lead over Moore. 50 to 42. In that poll, Jones had a 26-point advantage among women. And a National Republican Senatorial Committee taken Sunday and Monday had Jones up by a remarkable 12 points.

Taken together, the surveys show a race that is careening out of control for Moore — though with the election on December 12, there’s still ample time for him to avoid a hugely embarrassing upset.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:30 am

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 am

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/ ... non/218576
Who’s afraid of Steve Bannon?
The reason Bannon and Breitbart.com rode to Moore’s rescue is that Bannon -- who, again, glides along on his reputation for political vision -- put Moore in the vanguard of his “economic nationalist” movement. Bannon broke with Trump to endorse Moore, and he was the headline speaker at Moore’s rally the evening before the September 26 primary runoff election. “Tomorrow is going to decide who has sovereignty in the United States of America,” Bannon told the crowd in characteristically grandiose fashion.

Anyone with an ounce of prudence would have been extremely wary of so tightly aligning himself with Moore, whose political career prior to the sexual assault reports was defined by extremism and controversy. But Bannon doesn’t do caution. He’s leading a movement that deliberately stokes racial resentments, places national identity above all other concerns, and actively rejects multiculturalism. Such a movement can’t help but attract kooks, racists, and extremists. It’s Bannon’s job to make them respectable and, if possible, elect them to high office.

Bannon’s gamble on Moore blew up spectacularly, as anyone with even a passing familiarity with Moore’s background could have told you it very likely would. It’s become so damaging that, as The Daily Beast reports, Bannon and his lackeys are belatedly second-guessing their continued support for Moore as the accusations against him have mounted. According to the outlet’s sources, Bannon said, “I will put him in a grave myself” if it turns out Moore lied about committing sexual assault.

This is classic Bannon -- it sounds threatening and supervillain-ish, but when you actually think about what he’s threatening, it’s completely empty and ludicrous. According to Bannon, if it’s proven conclusively that Roy Moore lied about molesting children, then Bannon will personally see to it that Moore’s reputation and political career are finished -- as if there’d be anything left at that point for Bannon to put in a “grave.” Bannon’s more immediate concern is salvaging his own reputation as an electoral savant and hoping everyone will forget that he was reckless enough to make an accused sex criminal the face of his political movement.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/us/r ... abama.html

Lots more at the link, but I think there are questions in this thread about his military service?
:snippity: In Vietnam, where Mr. Moore commanded a military police battalion, he cracked down so aggressively on what he described as his troops’ drug use and lack of respect for authority that they derisively referred to him as Captain America. He was so convinced, he wrote, that one soldier was going to kill him that he put sandbags under the bed, ostensibly to keep grenades from being rolled under it. :snippity:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Roy Moore's wife: President Trump 'owes us a thank you' for diverting attention from Russia probe
By JOHN VERHOVEK Nov 17, 2017, 4:59 PM ET

The wife of embattled Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore today continued a fierce pushback against allegations of sexual misconduct and impropriety against her husband, holding a press conference with other conservative Alabama women at the state capitol in Montgomery.

"The people of Alabama understand what's going on here. My husband, Judge Roy Moore is fighting for the people of Alabama and has been fighting for over 30 years. The people of Alabama know him, they have seen what he has done," Kayla Moore said.

Kayla Moore also said, apparently ironically, that she believes President Donald Trump owes her and her husband a thank you for diverting public attention from the federal investigation into Russia's alleged interference in the 2016 presidential campaign and possible collusion with Trump associates.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/roy-moor ... d=51229306

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Idiocy runs in the family.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm
Idiocy runs in the family Republican Party.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Noses run in our fambly.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “U.S. Senate”