Washington US Senate 2018

Addie

Washington US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 am

The Guardian
How a gun-carrying, far-right activist plots a run at the US Senate

It is unusual for a Republican Senate candidate to find themselves handcuffed and face down in a parking garage. But that was what happened recently when Joey Gibson was detained by University of Washington police.

Gibson, 34, is a far-right activist who has come to prominence under the Trump presidency, staging political rallies across the Pacific north-west under the banner of his Patriot Prayer group. He is now running for Congress in a crowded Republican field. ...

Historically, the leading Republican has made the Senate runoff. For several months after he announced his campaign, Gibson was the frontrunner. On the last filing date, an “establishment” candidate, Susan Hutchison, pitched herself into the race.

Washington is seen as a Democratic state, but that impression conceals a deep divide between urban and rural, west and east, characteristic of west coast states. Money, power and population are centred on Seattle, which is often resented by rural conservatives in the state’s eastern half. Gibson’s rhetoric has always been stridently critical of the liberal cities. In Seattle, he said the city “despises patriots” and “will spit in your face for loving the constitution”. ...

Washington Republicans have stayed silent about Gibson’s candidacy and the state party did not respond to a request for comment. Gibson has however attracted one nationally famous face: political consultant and former Trump adviser Roger Stone.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Re: Washington US Senate 2018

Post by Kendra » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 am

Huh, I live in WA. Never heard of him, nor anything on the local news.

Azastan

Re: Washington US Senate 2018

Post by Azastan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 am
Huh, I live in WA. Never heard of him, nor anything on the local news.
I haven't heard of him either.

Return to “U.S. Senate”