Minnesota US Senate 2018

Dolly

Minnesota US Senate 2018

Post by Dolly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Ex-Bush ethics official to run for Franken's former Senate seat as Dem: report

Richard Painter, the former chief ethics lawyer for George W. Bush’s administration, is expected to announce on Monday he will run as a Democrat for the U.S. Senate seat previously held by Al Franken (D-Minn.).

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported Sunday that Painter, who has been a frequent critic of President Trump, recently filed paperwork with federal elections officials to run against Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.), who replaced Franken in January.

Painter launched a campaign website in recent days, and his campaign’s Twitter page identifies him as “running for U.S. Senate in Minnesota.”

Painter is scheduled to hold a press conference on Monday at the state capitol to announce his plans. <snip>
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/38 ... eat-as-dem

tweet at the link:

Painter For Minnesota

@RWPMinnesota
Richard will be making an important announcement on Monday regarding his involvement in the U.S. Senate election in Minnesota. Stay tuned.

8:05 AM - Apr 26, 2018

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Minnesota US Senate 2018

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Glad he is running as a Democrat.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm
I'm certainly not. This is a solid Blue district, which Republicans have no hope of winning. They know that. This is their favorite tactic: running their candidate as a Democrat, hoping to trick the casual Democratic voter (i.e. the majority of them) into thinking they're voting for a Democrat, when they're actually voting for a Republican.

And those of us who are politically active/informed will now have to work hard to tell all the diehard Democrats in our district that this guy is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Remember Rush Limbaugh's Project Chaos? That's this. I live in this district and we have to deal with it all the time.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm
I'm certainly not. This is a solid Blue district, which Republicans have no hope of winning. They know that. This is their favorite tactic: running their candidate as a Democrat, hoping to trick the casual Democratic voter (i.e. the majority of them) into thinking they're voting for a Democrat, when they're actually voting for a Republican.

And those of us who are politically active/informed will now have to work hard to tell all the diehard Democrats in our district that this guy is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Remember Rush Limbaugh's Project Chaos? That's this. I live in this district and we have to deal with it all the time.
Thanks for the clarification!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Too, also: the reason this is happening? Because since Democratic officials decided they had to show off their moral purity by throwing Franken to the wolves and forcing him out of office, this seat is now up for play. Tina Smith is Tina Who? as far as the average voter is concerned. If Painter wins the primary then it'll be a Republican Senator regardless of which party wins the election. Painter'll just wait till after he's elected to make it official.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm
Too, also: the reason this is happening? Because since Democratic officials decided they had to show off their moral purity by throwing Franken to the wolves and forcing him out of office, this seat is now up for play. Tina Smith is Tina Who? as far as the average voter is concerned. If Painter wins the primary then it'll be a Republican Senator regardless of which party wins the election. Painter'll just wait till after he's elected to make it official.
:yeah:

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm
Also Republicans lost their party to the rwnj they were so smitten with in 2010. They have no place to go except for to infiltrate the Democratic party. The truly moderate Republicans all left the party long ago. The ones that were half to three quarters nut job have all announced retirement now. Anyone who is less than 100% nut job from hell will never get a Republican nomination. Republicans lost their party. They played with fire and forget about getting burned, they got incinerated.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

jmj

Post by jmj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:00 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm not sure that I share your total confidence that a democrat will win that the seat (though I hope I'm just being overly cautious). But I agree with the rest.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:31 pm

How will Painter respond to claims that he talks out of the side of his mouth?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 pm

https://wonkette.com/633397/bush-ethics ... hy-exactly
The Man Who Was Squarer Than His Own Jaw
Bush Ethics Guy Richard Painter Running For Senate As Democrat Just Why Exactly?

While we certainly appreciate his recognition that the GOP has become the party of scoundrels, blackguards, and ne’er-do-wells, and it’s always good to have a prominent public figure on our side, we have some misgivings. When most people join a new political party, they start off volunteering for a phone bank or door-to-door canvassing effort, not by running for the upper chamber of Congress. And with all respect to Mr. Painter’s intelligence and ethical acumen, we’re not sure we need another celebrity candidate right now, even one whose cable persona is built around being the AntiTrump.

Slate’s Josh Voorhees sums up the Painter Problem pretty well:
Painter may be outpacing the Democratic establishment in calling for Trump to be impeached, but that doesn’t make him liberal. He served as the chief White House ethics lawyer under Bush, clerked for a Ronald Reagan-appointed federal judge, and as recently as last month, described himself as “a centrist in many ways—right up the middle” as he was openly considering whether he should run in the Senate primary on the Republican side. On Monday, he inched leftward, declaring that a woman’s right to have an abortion is “none of the government’s business,” and saying that he’s for increased gun regulations. But he still sounded like a man who would have preferred to keep the R by his name if not for the Republican in the White House.
After the chaos surrounding Franken’s resignation, the DFL went to some lengths to rally around Smith so she’d have a strong start against any Republican challenger. She’s got the endorsement of Rep. Keith Ellison, who had given some thought to challenging Smith himself but decided to back her instead:

“I just decided that nobody’s personal ambition is as important as us retaining that seat,” Ellison said in an interview shortly after Smith’s appointment. “She’s going to get a running start by being appointed by the governor, and all of us are going to gather around her.”

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Richard Painter - Dumpster Fire Ad -

I'm a Minnesotan and this ad does nothing to inspire me.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Sort of kind of on topic. For what it’s worth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... pC?ocid=sf

Addie

Re: Minnesota US Senate 2018; Special Election Primary August 14

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 am

FiveThirtyEight: Polls close: 9 p.m. Eastern

Finally, appointed incumbent Tina Smith is the odds-on favorite to win the DFL nomination in Minnesota’s special election for U.S. Senate, but the candidacy of Richard Painter will give us an interesting data point. Painter is a well-credentialed former Republican (he worked in the George W. Bush White House) who left the party because of Trump. If he gets a sizable number of votes, it could indicate that disgruntled, anti-Trump Republicans could be a newly formidable voting bloc within the Democratic Party, including in the 2020 presidential primaries.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 pm

New York Times
Democratic Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Amy Klobuchar* 206,666 96.3%
Steve Carlson 2,850 1.3
Stephen Emery 2,337 1.1
Others 2,775 1.3

214,628 votes, 17% reporting (702 of 4,112 precincts)

* Incumbent
Republican Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Jim Newberger 53,917 74.0%
Merrill Anderson 9,468 13.0
Rae Hart Anderson 5,441 7.5
Roque De La Fuente 4,008 5.5

72,834 votes, 17% reporting (702 of 4,112 precincts)

-------------------------------------------------
U.S. Senate Special Election
Special Democratic Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Tina Smith* 161,256 76.3%
Richard Painter 30,397 14.4
Ali Ali 8,148 3.9
Others 11,449 5.4

211,250 votes, 17% reporting (702 of 4,112 precincts)

* Incumbent
Special Republican Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Karin Housley 52,782 69.3%
Bob Anderson 21,735 28.5
Nikolay Bey 1,679 2.2

76,196 votes, 17% reporting (702 of 4,112 precincts)

¡Sterngard! come home.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 am

Amy Klobuchar must be just about the most popular Democrat in the country. Look at those vote tallies!

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Return to “U.S. Senate”