Indiana US Senate 2018

Addie

Indiana US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Axios: The 2018 Senate elections to keep an eye on

Indiana: Sen. Joe Donnelly has shown he's aware of Trump's victory in his state, appearing on stage with the president when he visited late last year. Donnelly will be up against either Rep. Luke Messer or Rep. Todd Rokita.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Turtle

Re: Indiana US Senate 2018

Post by Turtle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 pm

There are 2 types of GOP candidates this year- the ones who run on the tax bill and the ones who run on this:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Exactly. Sane Republicans have jumped ship and the only ones coming in to attempt to replace them are bonafide right wing nut jobs. Sorry, but that is what they are. They are just more Tea Party types, the kind that will not compromise, the my way or the highway kind. If Democrats don't take Congress this country is in for seriously bad times ahead, IMO.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm
Exactly. Sane Republicans have jumped ship and the only ones coming in to attempt to replace them are bonafide right wing nut jobs. Sorry, but that is what they are. They are just more Tea Party types, the kind that will not compromise, the my way or the highway kind. If Democrats don't take Congress this country is in for seriously bad times ahead, IMO.
"Tea Party" types oversimplifies something important. The real "Tea Party" types were deficit hawks on steroids. They, mostly because of a very strongly held misunderstanding of macroeconomics, thought that Obama was bankrupting America. But, they were against the black guy, so the #MAGA types (anti-government, neo-confederate, racist, xenophobic, white nationalists/supremacists etc etc) gravitated to the Tea Party and took it over.

The anti-deficit spending portion of the Tea Party is dead (the "Real Tea Party"), except for Rand Paul crying in the corner.

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 pm

FiveThirtyEight: The AP has (finally!) called Indiana for Mike Braun. The results as they stand with 61 percent reporting: Braun 41 percent, Messer 29.5 percent, Rokita 29.5 percent. We basically just witnessed a Greek tragedy in electoral form: Messer and Rokita, the initial front-runners who gave up safe congressional seats to run, were too busy slinging mud at each other to notice the third candidate sneaking up the middle to grab the prize.

As for Braun, he’ll take on Sen. Joe Donnelly, one of Democrats’ most vulnerable members, in the fall. That’s probably not what Donnelly wanted, considering all the negative stories surrounding Messer and Rokita, although Braun had his own mini-scandal as well. Braun, a wealthy businessman, can also self-fund.

I’m not quite sure what this primary result means for Trumpism in the 2018 primaries. On one hand, Rokita was the candidate who hugged the president most closely. On the other, Braun — a successful businessman (and former Democrat) who had little experience in politics — fits the Trump mold the best of any of the candidates.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed May 09, 2018 6:26 am

As somebody who just relocated from Seattle to Indy, politics here have been a bit of culture shock. If you watch any TV you would swear that Republicans are the only people running and they're all fighting over which one is the biggest Trump supporter. It's all about building the wall, ending trade agreements and protecting "our beliefs" (which I take as code for opposition to anything LBGTQ). I've seen ads for Donnelly a few times but they're few and far between. One can only hope this will change dramatically for the general election. What I haven't looked at yet is who won the house primaries but I suspect there are a large number of FRWNJs on the list in parts of the state where a Democrat is unlikely to win.

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Associated Press
Democrat Donnelly cites support for Trump in Indiana debate

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Democratic Indiana Sen. Joe Donnelly and Republican businessman Mike Braun don't agree on much. But both conceded one point Monday night, during their first debate: they support President Donald Trump.

"I go against my party all the time," Donnelly said from the debate state in Westville. "I've been with president 62 percent of the time. That's what we're supposed to do."

Unlike many Democratic campaigns across the U.S. that have been galvanized by Trump opposition, Donnelly touted his support for Trump's priorities.

That's not entirely a surprise. The vulnerable incumbent is one of a handful of Democrats running for re-election in states Trump won. But Donnelly has cast several high-profile votes against Trump and in line with Democrats, including his "no" vote this weekend on Trump's Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh and the GOP led tax cut bill. ...

But after years of Democrats running away from what had been a toxic issue at the polls, Donnelly boasted that he cast the "deciding vote" to save the health law— the same wording the GOP formerly used in attack ads.

"I stand here proudly before you and all the people of Indiana to tell you I was the deciding vote that saved coverage for preexisting conditions," Donnelly said, before attacking Braun for supporting a GOP led lawsuit aimed at eliminating the heath care law, including coverage for those with preexisting conditions.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm

dKos Elections: IN-Sen: Checking back in here, Republican Mike Braun has a 55-41 lead on Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly with 44% reporting.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

ABC projecting Braun to win

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

dKos Elections: IN-Sen: ABC has now called this race for Republican Mike Braun, who defeats Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly after one term. It’s the GOP’s first flip of the night.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 pm

from the NYT as I post this:

Candidate Party Votes Pct.

Mike Braun Republican 1,018,458 52.9%
Joe Donnelly* Democrat 830,426 43.1
Lucy Brenton Libertarian 77,002 4.0

1,925,886 votes, 87% reporting (4,650 of 5,375 precincts)

Return to “U.S. Senate”