Florida US Senate 2018

Addie

Florida US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Axios: The 2018 Senate elections to keep an eye on

Florida: While Gov. Rick Scott has not yet decided to run against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, if he does, it would be a game changer for the battleground state of Florida. The governor has won reelection twice and can easily raise a lot of campaign money.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Re: Florida US Senate 2018

Post by RVInit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm

:panic: :nooo:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Scott is already filling his septic tank with money from McConnell's superpac. He will be running Against Bill Nelson, the people's senator. Gawd help us all get to the voting booth in droves. I hope it will include all our new Floridians from PR.

Off topic... restoration of voting rights for convicted felons who have completed their sentences will be on the ballot in Nov.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Vox
Florida’s suddenly competitive 2018 Senate race, explained

A new front is opening up in the battle for control of the United States Senate: Florida.

In a matter of days, Republican Gov. Rick Scott is expected to announce his candidacy to challenge sitting Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, who is up for reelection this year. Scott is one of the best recruits for Republicans this cycle, in what will likely be a difficult national environment for the party.

Nelson has built a reasonably strong brand, representing Florida in the Senate since 2001, and as a pretty popular senator, he’s still likely favored in a state where Trump appears to be underwater. Scott, meanwhile, has never won a race by more than a point in years friendlier to the GOP. But however close those races were then, Scott is a serious threat.

The rivals would appear evenly matched: Nelson has a 51 percent approval rating, with only 26 percent disapproving, per Morning Consult; Scott has 58 percent approval and 31 percent disapproval.

Scott’s impending candidacy means Florida will be one of 2018’s marquee — and most expensive — Senate races. He will put Democrats on defense in yet another state, with the minority already facing a difficult map. They can’t afford to lose any additional seats if they’re to have any hope of reclaiming the majority — but the Trump factor, and the historic trend of midterm elections favoring the party out of power, should make Nelson the tentative favorite.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:36 pm
Vox
Florida’s suddenly competitive 2018 Senate race, explained

A new front is opening up in the battle for control of the United States Senate: Florida.

In a matter of days, Republican Gov. Rick Scott is expected to announce his candidacy to challenge sitting Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, who is up for reelection this year. Scott is one of the best recruits for Republicans this cycle, in what will likely be a difficult national environment for the party.

Nelson has built a reasonably strong brand, representing Florida in the Senate since 2001, and as a pretty popular senator, he’s still likely favored in a state where Trump appears to be underwater. Scott, meanwhile, has never won a race by more than a point in years friendlier to the GOP. But however close those races were then, Scott is a serious threat.

The rivals would appear evenly matched: Nelson has a 51 percent approval rating, with only 26 percent disapproving, per Morning Consult; Scott has 58 percent approval and 31 percent disapproval.

Scott’s impending candidacy means Florida will be one of 2018’s marquee — and most expensive — Senate races. He will put Democrats on defense in yet another state, with the minority already facing a difficult map. They can’t afford to lose any additional seats if they’re to have any hope of reclaiming the majority — but the Trump factor, and the historic trend of midterm elections favoring the party out of power, should make Nelson the tentative favorite.
Scott has more money than God and he'll start airing back-to-back anti-Nelson ads as soon as he announces. It will be an infuriating six months.

ImageImageImage x4

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Trump won FL by less than 2 percentage points. Given how Dems have been winning lately in rather red areas, I'd like to think that moderates and liberals who didn't bother to vote in 2016 will get out and vote for Nelson this year, easily pushing him over the top.

We shall see.

Am I being detained?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am

I am worried about Bill Nelson. Rick Scott is bombarding the airwaves and internet with advertisements. He's really pushing the "send a successful business person" and "successful business people have to get results", "send a successful business person to congress", etc. That is definitely going to be hard for Nelson to combat. And I've seen nothing from him. At all. Zip, nada, zero.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am
I am worried about Bill Nelson. Rick Scott is bombarding the airwaves and internet with advertisements. He's really pushing the "send a successful business person" and "successful business people have to get results", "send a successful business person to congress", etc. That is definitely going to be hard for Nelson to combat. And I've seen nothing from him. At all. Zip, nada, zero.
For a hard kicking point out the failures of the current dotus, a so called "successful" (in failures) business person.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

I had a perfectly lovely lunch ruined by a block of republican primary ads, not just for senate but also governor. Each candidate bragged how much Trump loved them and they'd be his biggest ass kisser evah! Rick Scott has been our guv for eight years, is now running for senator, and refused to do anything to help our toxic algae/red tide problem because his rich buds needed another tax break. His ad really takes the cake. He actually accused D sen Bill Nelson of being responsible for the bad water and he (Rick Scott) would go to Washington DC and fix the problem there, where is he wants his voters to think the problem originated, as opposed to the cesspool known as Lake Okeechobee. So don't blame him for SWFL's water problems. It's not the governor's fault.

Not surprised, it also wasn't his job as CEO to *know* his company was stealing billions from Medicare.

Of course, no mention was made of our other senator, republican Marco Rubio who has been in DC for six years.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

ImageImageImage x4

Ben-Prime
Occupation: I am as of September 2018 a humble political servant.

Post by Ben-Prime » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm
I had a perfectly lovely lunch ruined by a block of republican primary ads, not just for senate but also governor. Each candidate bragged how much Trump loved them and they'd be his biggest ass kisser evah! Rick Scott has been our guv for eight years, is now running for senator, and refused to do anything to help our toxic algae/red tide problem because his rich buds needed another tax break. His ad really takes the cake. He actually accused D sen Bill Nelson of being responsible for the bad water and he (Rick Scott) would go to Washington DC and fix the problem there, where is he wants his voters to think the problem originated, as opposed to the cesspool known as Lake Okeechobee. So don't blame him for SWFL's water problems. It's not the governor's fault.

Not surprised, it also wasn't his job as CEO to *know* his company was stealing billions from Medicare.

Of course, no mention was made of our other senator, republican Marco Rubio who has been in DC for six years.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
My absolute favorite (said with :roll: ) was the ad I saw yesterday at a pizza joint in one of the Northwestern 'burbs of Fort Lauderdale, in which Team Scott is accusing *Nelson* of 'cheating Medicare' or somesuch. It's like "Really, Dude, you want to take voters *there*? You seriously think that's a good idea this time around?"

"With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me, it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable." - Sir Alec Guinness, as Prince Feisal, Lawrence of Arabia

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:54 am

Ben-Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 am

My absolute favorite (said with :roll: ) was the ad I saw yesterday at a pizza joint in one of the Northwestern 'burbs of Fort Lauderdale, in which Team Scott is accusing *Nelson* of 'cheating Medicare' or somesuch. It's like "Really, Dude, you want to take voters *there*? You seriously think that's a good idea this time around?"
That one makes me insane. My husband marked the mute button on the remote because, whenever Scott comes on our teevee, I would drop whatever I was doing, rush over and yell at the screen until the ad was over.

ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am

Sadly, Rick Scott has more name recognition that Bill Nelson. I bet half of Florida voters can't name the two senators from Florida. I am terrified that Rick Scott is going to take this seat from Nelson. All I see are Rick Scott ads. Almost nothing from Nelson. Nelson actually does things that are good for Floridians and good for this country. But Rick Scott is flooding the market with ads and Nelson is not. I hope he's running hard in other areas, maybe my area is just not worth his time. But, it's just freaking scary for me to be bombarded with nothing but Rick Scott.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:56 pm

New York Times
U.S. Senate
Democratic Primary
Candidate
Bill Nelson* Uncontested

* Incumbent
Republican Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Rick Scott 1,336,328 88.7% - called by AP
Roque De La Fuente 169,739 11.3

1,506,067 votes, 79% reporting (4,707 of 5,968 precincts)

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Re: Florida US Senate 2018; Primary August 28

Post by RVInit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:16 am

I've never seen a single ad where Rick Scott was running against his supposed primary opponent. He's been running against Nelson the whole time. That was a brilliant strategy, just acting as if he already had the Republican nomination and run a general election campaign right from the start.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

Scott is trying to thread a needle on this one.

Rick Scott

Verified account

@ScottforFlorida
Follow Follow @ScottforFlorida
More
I disagree with @POTUS– an independent study said thousands were lost and Gov. Rosselló agreed. I've been to Puerto Rico 7 times & saw devastation firsthand. The loss of any life is tragic; the extent of lives lost as a result of Maria is heart wrenching. I'll continue to help PR

10:45 AM - 13 Sep 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:16 am
I've never seen a single ad where Rick Scott was running against his supposed primary opponent. He's been running against Nelson the whole time. That was a brilliant strategy, just acting as if he already had the Republican nomination and run a general election campaign right from the start.
I saw a killer Bill Nelson ad at noon today during gone of the local news shows. At first I figured it was a PAC because it was so angry, but Nelson said he approved it. It came down HARD on Scott over the algae and Lake O disaster. Which reminds me, I need to send the good senator another check.

ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:16 am
I saw a killer Bill Nelson ad at noon today during gone of the local news shows. At first I figured it was a PAC because it was so angry, but Nelson said he approved it. It came down HARD on Scott over the algae and Lake O disaster. Which reminds me, I need to send the good senator another check.
:thumbs:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Rick Scott campaign stop besieged by red tide protesters

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180 ... protesters
VENICE -- With the noxious smell of red tide hanging in the air and a fresh wave of dead fish washing up on nearby Gulf beaches, a large crowd of people incensed about the devastating algae bloom that has plagued the region for months directed their anger at Gov. Rick Scott during a campaign event in Venice Monday.

Protesters jammed the sidewalk and spilled into the street around Mojo’s Real Cuban, forcing Scott to enter the restaurant through the back door and leave the same way after just 10 minutes as members of the crowd shouted “coward.”

Scott didn’t take any media questions during the brief, tumultuous event and did not give a speech to the group of a few dozen supporters gathered inside the restaurant.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Saw another Scott commercial today. If you were exposed only to Rick Scott for Senator commercials, you'd wonder how Nelson has managed to stay in office so long considering how he's single-handedly destroyed Florida's ecosystem, and intentionally to boot!

I always point out to people who'll listen that, prior to 2017, every time we'd have a red tide, Scott would blame Obama. But now does he blame Trump? Noooooooooooooo! Suddenly, it's all Bill Nelson's fault. Even (some of) my republican neighbors aren't buying it.

ImageImageImage x4

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Jimmy Buffett hosting free Florida concert to support Gillum, Nelson

Legendary singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett will be hosting a free concert in support of Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson and Democratic gubernatorial nominee Andrew Gillum this weekend.

The event is scheduled to take place on Saturday at Meyer Amphitheatre in downtown West Palm Beach at 2:30 pm, according to a post from Gillum’s campaign.

“Join us in West Palm Beach for a GOTV concert to energize Democrats and Parrot Heads across the state,” the post reads.

Buffett, a resident of Palm Beach, previously hosted a free concert days before the Florida Democratic primary after endorsing Gwen Graham, who went on to finish second to Gillum in the race.

Nelson is defending his seat against Republican Gov. Rick Scott in the Nov. 6 election. Gillum is facing off against Republican Ron DeSantis.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... and-nelson

also posted this in the "2018 Florida Governor" thread

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:34 pm

This one could be close

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 pm

COULD BE CLOSE??? COULD BE???!?!??!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 pm

from the NYT as I post this:

Candidate Party Votes Pct.

Ron DeSantis Republican 4,023,323 49.9%
Andrew Gillum Democrat 3,945,293 48.9
Darcy Richardson Reform 46,267 0.6
Others 52,478 0.7

8,067,361 votes, 99% reporting (6,095 of 6,111 precincts)

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am

Orlando Sentinel
Florida U.S. Senate race could be heading for recount

Florida’s hotly contested race for the U.S. Senate could be heading for an automatic recount today.

Republican Rick Scott holds a 34,503-vote lead over incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson out of more than 8.1 million ballots cast for a difference of 0.42 percent, according to unofficial returns posted by the state Division of Elections.

State law triggers a recount if the difference in a race is less than 0.5 percent. So if the returns stand, the state will count the ballots again. There was no comment from state officials early Wednesday.

Under Florida law, a machine recount is conducted when the margin of victory is 0.5 percent or less. If the margin is 0.25 percent or less after the machine recount, a manual recount is conducted.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 am

Florida recounts do not elicit good memories from me.

Did Nelson run a good campaign? In May there was concern that Scott was advertising extensively while Nelson was silent. Then in August there was admiration for a Nelson ad. How about what followed?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “U.S. Senate”