West Virginia US Senate 2018

Addie

West Virginia US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Axios: The 2018 Senate elections to keep an eye on

West Virginia: Former coal boss Don Blankenship, who served a year in prison for violating safety laws in his mine, is running as a Republican against Joe Manchin, who was governor of West Virginia for five years before being elected to the Senate and has the support of the current Democrat-turned-Republican Governor Jim Justice. Trump won the state by more than 40 percentage points.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Princess foofypants

Re: West Virginia US Senate 2018

Post by Princess foofypants » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 pm

We caught a Don Blankenship ad on tv a few nights ago and both realist and I looked at each other like "WTF was that?" A little googling and we were even more WTF. Blankenship was the head of a coal mine, went to prison for lying to investigators and somehow it is all Obama's fault. To show what a prince he is, his company was polluting the groundwater so his company paid to have a pipe built ti his home from a neighboring town with safe water. He did not bother to tell the neighbors about the contamination.

One of his ads:

An article from Rolling Stone called the Dark Lord of Coal Country
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/n ... y-20101129

What worries me is the fear that he has deep enough pockets to influence the election in West Virginia.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

West Virginia is a weird state that has gone off the rails over the last decade, maybe longer. I can remember when we used to drive into or through it and the signs as you entered the state said "Welcome to West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful." Then that changed to "Welcome to West Virginia, Open for Business." It's back to wild and wonderful again, but that was really jarring to read. Of course, a lot of the change has been in the loss of union membership and the loss of mining jobs. They seemed to have had a particular dislike for Obama. For some reason, miners have closed minds about mining. I think the dangerousness of the jobs forms a certain closed mindset and a bond that's hard for outsiders to penetrate or even understand. I've said before I have a cousin whose father worked in the mines and who died at a fairly young age of black lung disease who's still 40-50 years after her dad died gung-ho on anything with mining.

I think Manchin has a good chance to win. He has been careful to cater to the idiosyncrasies of the people of his state, which any Senator should to do some extent. I've always had this notion, though, that when you are in the state government, you should represent the people in your state, but when you get into national government, you should represent the people of the country. I don't know how many people look at it like that, though. And that's probably not the way to get re-elected.

Blankenship isn't the only ex-felon who's running on a republican ticket this fall.

BigSkip

Post by BigSkip » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:39 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm
West Virginia is a weird state that has gone off the rails over the last decade, maybe longer. I can remember when we used to drive into or through it and the signs as you entered the state said "Welcome to West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful." Then that changed to "Welcome to West Virginia, Open for Business." It's back to wild and wonderful again, but that was really jarring to read. Of course, a lot of the change has been in the loss of union membership and the loss of mining jobs. They seemed to have had a particular dislike for Obama. For some reason, miners have closed minds about mining. I think the dangerousness of the jobs forms a certain closed mindset and a bond that's hard for outsiders to penetrate or even understand. I've said before I have a cousin whose father worked in the mines and who died at a fairly young age of black lung disease who's still 40-50 years after her dad died gung-ho on anything with mining.

I think Manchin has a good chance to win. He has been careful to cater to the idiosyncrasies of the people of his state, which any Senator should to do some extent. I've always had this notion, though, that when you are in the state government, you should represent the people in your state, but when you get into national government, you should represent the people of the country. I don't know how many people look at it like that, though. And that's probably not the way to get re-elected.

Blankenship isn't the only ex-felon who's running on a republican ticket this fall.
I am from WV, and although I haven't lived there for 21 years I still visit frequently.

I agree that the state went off the rails around 10 years ago (give or take) but the state government has always been incredibly corrupt and deep in the pocket of the coal industry. The union membership kept this in check to some extent, but as the coal industry declined TPTB managed to spin that as being all the fault of the "liberals" and thus a very, very red state was born.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm

:like:

realist

Post by realist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm

:fingerwag:

He, just like all, not only was, but is and always will be a felon. There's no ex.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:59 pm

realist wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm
:fingerwag:

He, just like all, not only was, but is and always will be a felon. There's no ex.
Of course. How silly of me. I'm not an attorney, but even I know that. :oops: :-D

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Aaron Blake

@AaronBlake

WV GOP Senate candidate Don Blankenship suggests McConnell is conflicted on foreign affairs because Elaine Chao’s dad is a “wealthy Chinaperson”
https://
mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/
politics/don-blankenship-china-west-virginia.html

5:57 AM - Apr 25, 2018
:roll:

By that logic Trump would face a conflict of interest due to his foreign-born wife. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Chinaperson.

:doh: :cantlook:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:41 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:32 pm
Chinaperson.

:doh: :cantlook:
That ought to win him the core Trump vote.

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 am

More about Blankenship -

(You don't have to be a resident to run for Senate in WV??)

Don Blankenship, West Virginia Candidate, Lives Near Las Vegas and Mulled Chinese Citizenship

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/p ... 0oKaKkWHha

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:57 am

ElaineSoCal wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 am
More about Blankenship -

(You don't have to be a resident to run for Senate in WV??)

Don Blankenship, West Virginia Candidate, Lives Near Las Vegas and Mulled Chinese Citizenship

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/p ... 0oKaKkWHha
He is such a nice guy, could easy follow dotus in office, just switch out Russia for China :sarcasm:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 am

Stephen Colbert has something to say on this blanked out ship

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 pm

ABC News

@ABC
West Virginia voter who says he lost three cousins in mine disaster tied to Don Blankenship tells @TomLlamasABC he's voting for the coal baron anyway.

"I want an honest crook, and that's Blankenship." https://abcn.ws/2KKztDr

6:28 PM - May 8, 2018
Interesting concept- an honest crook. :roll:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Republican logic.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 pm

FiveThirtyEight: The latest results in the West Virginia Senate race from ABC:

¡Sterngard! come home.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue May 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Blankenship has conceded. Morrisey is the likely winner.

We might have been more certain of a Democratic victory in November had Blankenship won, but i think the country is a bit safer.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 pm

One big happy Republican family.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Talked to my buddy who is a river guide in WV about an hour ago as I was wanting to do the Russell Fork Gorge end of season in the Fall, and it only runs 8 days, four consecutive weekends of dam release to make room in the lake for Spring snow melt. Russell Fork is a Crazy fast Class V with over a 300 ft/mile drop (most Class V is 70ft/mile) with restricted access requiring your four man raft crew to have paddled together on other Boulder Garden technical Class V rivers.
So we were talking plans for the New River and Gauley in WV and the Upper Yock in panhandle Maryland.

He's a classic "summer teeth" guy (some are teeth, some aren't) and he laughed and said there were some of his friends ("straight pipers", he called them... ones who "straight pipe" their house sewage to the feeder streams rather than use a septic tank) who voted for Blankenship, but most just thought he was an idiot.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 am

Danraft wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 pm
Talked to my buddy who is a river guide in WV about an hour ago as I was wanting to do the Russell Fork Gorge end of season in the Fall, and it only runs 8 days, four consecutive weekends of dam release to make room in the lake for Spring snow melt. Russell Fork is a Crazy fast Class V with over a 300 ft/mile drop :shock: (most Class V is 70ft/mile) with restricted access requiring your four man raft crew to have paddled together on other Boulder Garden technical Class V rivers.
So we were talking plans for the New River and Gauley in WV and the Upper Yock in panhandle Maryland.

He's a classic "summer teeth" guy (some are teeth, some aren't) and he laughed and said there were some of his friends ("straight pipers", he called them... ones who "straight pipe" their house sewage to the feeder streams rather than use a septic tank) who voted for Blankenship, but most just thought he was an idiot.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Politico
Democratic poll: Manchin up double digits in West Virginia

Senate Democrats didn’t get Don Blankenship as their GOP opponent in West Virginia. But they are nonetheless happy with the matchup between Sen. Joe Manchin and Attorney General Patrick Morrisey.

A Democratic poll taken after the GOP primary this month shows Manchin leading Morrisey, 52-40, in the critical Senate race, according to a summary obtained by POLITICO. The poll was paid for by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and conducted by Geoff Garin of Hart Research Associates.

The poll suggests that Manchin’s effort to align himself as a Democratic ally of President Donald Trump is working. Manchin’s approval rate is 55 percent, compared to 41 percent disapproval, while Trump is viewed positively by 59 percent of West Virginians and negatively by 30 percent.

Manchin is widely viewed as one of the most vulnerable Democratic senators given Trump's 42-point electoral romp in West Virginia in 2016. A Manchin victory would portend a good year for the other nine Democrats defending seats in states that Trump won.

Morrisey is viewed positively by 30 percent of those polled and negatively by 36 percent, while 16 percent of those polled were neutral and 18 percent don’t know him.

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Off Topic
300 ft/mile drop
Waterfall
Waterfall
Waterfall

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 am

Politico
Manchin goes full MAGA

RANSON, W.Va. — Joe Manchin wants you to know he really likes Donald Trump.

The West Virginia senator doesn’t put it quite that way. But more than any other Democrat in Congress, he's positioned himself as a vocal Trump ally. In fact, the senator, up for reelection in a state Trump won by more than 40 points, told POLITICO he isn’t ruling out endorsing Trump for reelection in 2020 — a position practically unheard of for a politician with a “D” next to his name.

“I’m open to supporting the person who I think is best for my country and my state,” Manchin said this week from the driver’s seat of his Grand Cherokee, insisting he’s game to work with any president of either party. “If his policies are best, I’ll be right there.”

Trump’s popularity in West Virginia has Republicans salivating over the prospect of knocking off the legendary 70-year-old senator and former governor this fall. In response, Manchin is sidling up to the president — his policies, his nominees, at times even Trump himself — as the independent-minded Democrat prepares for the toughest race of his career against GOP state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey.

The president recently mocked Manchin in front of the Senate GOP caucus as trying to hug him all the time — only a slight exaggeration, by Manchin’s telling.

“We just kind of do the man-bump type thing. That’s it. And I think he’s pulling me as much as I’m pulling him,” Manchin said in describing his physical embraces with the president.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Bloomberg: Manchin Touts Border Wall Vote in Bid for Trump Fans ...

Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia has released a new TV ad touting his support for President Donald Trump’s plan to build a wall on the southern U.S. border. Manchin, a former governor, is running in November against West Virginia’s Republican Attorney General Patrick Morrisey. Trump won the state by 42 points in 2016.

“Hey, I wanted Mexico to pay for the wall. But they’re not. So we need to do it ourselves,” the senator says to the camera. “I voted to fund President Trump’s wall. Check the vote.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Sad.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Return to “U.S. Senate”