He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

User avatar
Turtle
Posts: 2634
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:27 pm
Occupation: SPACE FORCE COMMANDER

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#51

Post by Turtle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said Monday he supports Mitt Romney's bid for the US Senate from Utah, endorsing a former rival and major figure within the Republican Party.

@MittRomney has announced he is running for the Senate from the wonderful State of Utah. He will make a great Senator and worthy successor to @OrrinHatch, and has my full support and endorsement!" Trump tweeted Monday evening.
LOL the kiss of death.



User avatar
Addie
Posts: 27983
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#52

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm

That's what I said :rotflmao:
Turtle wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm
LOL the kiss of death.


¡Sterngard! come home.

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 15921
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#53

Post by Suranis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm

That just secured the coveted "I will walk over broken glass and scale Nacatome Tower during Die Hard to vote against you, Bishop Rich Trumpfucker" demographic.


Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

User avatar
NMgirl
Posts: 3870
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#54

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm
That's what I said :rotflmao:
Turtle wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm
LOL the kiss of death.
Utah is behind only Wyoming and North Dakota as the most heavily Republican states and Romney is Mormon royalty. I would be very surprised if trump's endorsement makes any difference at all in how Utahans vote. The Mittster is a shoe-in. :crying:


Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

User avatar
NMgirl
Posts: 3870
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#55

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Mitt Romney‏Verified account
@MittRomney

Thank you Mr. President for the support. I hope that over the course of the campaign I also earn the support and endorsement of the people of Utah.
Count on Mitt to vote for whatever trump wants 99% of the time.


Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

User avatar
Orlylicious
Posts: 8053
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm
Location: DHS Psy-Ops HQ

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#56

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Willard is such a tool.


Willard.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
GreatGrey
Posts: 9549
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Living in the Anthropocene

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#57

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 pm
Willard is such a tool.



Willard.JPG

He ate the meatloaf


I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

User avatar
gupwalla
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:57 pm
Location: The mind of Cassandra

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#58

Post by gupwalla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 am

Romney is the best we're going to get from Utah, and he's better than Hatch.

I'll say what I said in 2016. I didn't vote for Romney, but I'll give him my tentative support if he is elected President. I didn't vote for McCaIn, but I would have given my tentative support if he had been elected President. I don't for a minute doubt the ultimate loyalty of either of these gentlemen - it is to the Constitution. I might disagree with them - vigorously - on taxes or trade or immigration or health care reform - but I have no cause to disagree with either on foreign policy.

As for Trump's support - he desperately needs a win. He's grasping now at anything that looks even close. This is not a strong Trump leading the electorate; this is a weak Trump desperately clinging to whatever coattails might deliver him a victory, however ephemeral.


In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

User avatar
vic
Posts: 3678
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am
Location: The great San Fernando Valley
Occupation: Web developer

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#59

Post by vic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:11 pm
maydijo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 am
I don't want Utah's values, thank you very much.
Which values do you reject? The stark unenvironmentalism, the 1950s family values with its emphasis on heteronormativity and defined gender roles, the rabid optimistic naivety that makes its citizens so gullible to scams, or the love of all things jello?
"All of them, Katie."
Noooo! There's always room for Jello!

It's many decades since I had to do some work in Utah, but the value I would reject are silly laws relating to alcohol. (1) The people I was working with took me to a "private club" where I was allowed to buy a 1-day membership. Regular members could keep bottles in their own locker at the club; as a temporary member I was allowed to purchase liquor by the drink. (2) We went to a Chinese restaurant; I was going to question why every set dinner included an appetizer consisting of a glass of some fruit juice concoction. All was revealed when I was told we were going to the in-restaurant gift shop, where there was an assortment of liquors in individual serving bottles.
Off Topic
Not sure if I'd call it a Utah value, but there was also the incident of the coffee cup. The client was Newspaper Agency Corporation (NAC). NAC was a Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) between the Salt Lake City Tribune and the Deseret News. JOAs allowed newspapers to combine some operations, such as production, ad sales, and distribution, without antitrust issues.

We had installed a newspaper production system for the two papers. The computer room was between the two newsrooms. One morning, while the hardware tech and I were having coffee in the computer room, someone ran in and shouted that one of the computer terminals was smoking. The tech ran after the gentleman into the newsroom; given the urgency, he didn't even put down his coffee cup.

The tech unplugged the terminal and after it stopped smoking carried it into the computer room for further examination. A short time later we received a call from the management. Were they happy that the problem was quickly dealt with before we had a serious fire? No. They demanded that the tech be escorted off the premises because he dared to bring his coffee cup into the Deseret News newsroom.

It took many phone calls, and IIRC a written apology, before they allowed him to return and finish the job.



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#60

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am

Definitely a Utah value. Des News is LDS owned and the LDS church forbids coffee (one of my husband's primary objections to converting - that, and he's not sure he believes in God.) I know that people who work on temples or church buildings have to sign an employment contract forbidding certain behaviour, such as swearing, tell off-colour jokes, etc. I don't know for sure but I imagine it also covers infractions of the Word of Wisdom, namely, drinking alcohol, coffee, tea and smoking. This probably is the case for all LDS owned work places which would include the Des News offices. (The Word of Wisdom is one of those pick-and-choose doctrine. Certain things, like the things I've listed, are always a no-no. However the actual prohibition is against hot drinks . . .and somehow hot chocolate doesn't count. Some Mormons insist that since coffee and tea aren't allowed, cola isn't either. The dietary part is: meats sparingly - which is generally ignored; fruits and veggies in season -again, ignored; and grains anytime. There is a direct prohibition against tobacco.)



User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#61

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am
Definitely a Utah value. Des News is LDS owned and the LDS church forbids coffee (one of my husband's primary objections to converting - that, and he's not sure he believes in God.) I know that people who work on temples or church buildings have to sign an employment contract forbidding certain behaviour, such as swearing, tell off-colour jokes, etc. I don't know for sure but I imagine it also covers infractions of the Word of Wisdom, namely, drinking alcohol, coffee, tea and smoking. This probably is the case for all LDS owned work places which would include the Des News offices. (The Word of Wisdom is one of those pick-and-choose doctrine. Certain things, like the things I've listed, are always a no-no. However the actual prohibition is against hot drinks . . .and somehow hot chocolate doesn't count. Some Mormons insist that since coffee and tea aren't allowed, cola isn't either. The dietary part is: meats sparingly - which is generally ignored; fruits and veggies in season -again, ignored; and grains anytime. There is a direct prohibition against tobacco.)
And Jello fits in to these dietary restrictions because it contain no actual food?


"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

User avatar
NMgirl
Posts: 3870
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#62

Post by NMgirl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am
There is a direct prohibition against tobacco.)
And yet, the SLC airport is one of the few airports in the US that has several inside-the-airport, on the concourses, smoking rooms. It's quite shocking, really. I've sometimes wondered if those smoking rooms are provided in order to kill off gentiles. (Joke.)


Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#63

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:51 am

I do feel compelled to add that there are some normal people in Utah. Even some liberals, and even some liberal Mormons. My parents live in downtown Salt Lake. They almost always have a Democratic Bishop. Their current Bishop is one of the top-ranked Democrats in the state, and although I tease them that there are only five Democrats in the state so that's not saying much, Salt Lake is actually a little lake of blue in a red sea.

I know this sounds like it's deserving of a :rotflmao: but I am quite pleasantly surprised and pleased to inform you that there are currently 5 gay members in their ward, some of whom are quite openly gay. (They aren't all; and there may be some gay members who aren't out to my parents; but my parents are pretty chill and accepting so people feel comfortable being out to them, even if they aren't out to everyone.)

In the past they've had at least one member of the ward who was quite high up in church hierarchy. Both she and her husband were very progressive, politically. As well, Eyring, who is second counsellor in the General Presidency (and whose father was a physicist of some regard, and did quite a bit of work to forward the Big Bang Theory) is an open Democrat. (I've always had a soft spot for the Eyring family. When my sister was at the U studying physics, she went to a student ward which Eyring's mother also attended. His mother was incredibly supportive, especially of women in science, and especially especially of female physics students. On the other hand, her only encounter with a Romney left her feeling he was a pompous jackass.)



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#64

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 am

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 am

And Jello fits in to these dietary restrictions because it contain no actual food?
Jello is cheap, Mormons have large families, and Utah pays crap wages.



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#65

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 am

NMgirl wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 am
maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am
There is a direct prohibition against tobacco.)
And yet, the SLC airport is one of the few airports in the US that has several inside-the-airport, on the concourses, smoking rooms. It's quite shocking, really. I've sometimes wondered if those smoking rooms are provided in order to kill off gentiles. (Joke.)
Probably. I would imagine, actually, this is one of those times when Utah libertarianism trumps Mormonism. How dare you tell me I can't smoke inside!



User avatar
Lani
Posts: 4034
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Some island in the Pacific

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#66

Post by Lani » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 am

Jello isn't vegetarian. Does it count towards the limited meat quota? It's made from boiling the bones and hides of animals processed for their meat (usually cows and pigs).


Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#67

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:16 am

Lani wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 am
Jello isn't vegetarian. Does it count towards the limited meat quota? It's made from boiling the bones and hides of animals processed for their meat (usually cows and pigs).
As I said, Mormons tend to conveniently ignore the bit about eating meat sparingly. I've heard all sorts of excuses for this, from "But God created animals for us to eat" to "Well maybe that made sense then because not everyone had access to meat but it's not the case today" to "I do eat meat sparingly, I usually only have it once a day." Some people adhere to it, but many more just pretend it isn't there (and make no attempts to justify it.)



User avatar
Sam the Centipede
Posts: 6113
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#68

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:16 am
Lani wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 am
Jello isn't vegetarian. Does it count towards the limited meat quota? It's made from boiling the bones and hides of animals processed for their meat (usually cows and pigs).

As I said, Mormons tend to conveniently ignore the bit about eating meat sparingly
. I've heard all sorts of excuses for this, from "But God created animals for us to eat" to "Well maybe that made sense then because not everyone had access to meat but it's not the case today" to "I do eat meat sparingly, I usually only have it once a day." Some people adhere to it, but many more just pretend it isn't there (and make no attempts to justify it.)
The Christian sects that refuse alcohol seem to me to be on very shaky doctrinal ground. Of course there are several places in the Bible which abhor drunkenness, but the tale of Jesus turning water into wine at the marriage at Cana seems to me to be a rock-solid statement from the top man that Wine Is Good.



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#69

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 am
maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:16 am
Lani wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 am
Jello isn't vegetarian. Does it count towards the limited meat quota? It's made from boiling the bones and hides of animals processed for their meat (usually cows and pigs).

As I said, Mormons tend to conveniently ignore the bit about eating meat sparingly
. I've heard all sorts of excuses for this, from "But God created animals for us to eat" to "Well maybe that made sense then because not everyone had access to meat but it's not the case today" to "I do eat meat sparingly, I usually only have it once a day." Some people adhere to it, but many more just pretend it isn't there (and make no attempts to justify it.)
The Christian sects that refuse alcohol seem to me to be on very shaky doctrinal ground. Of course there are several places in the Bible which abhor drunkenness, but the tale of Jesus turning water into wine at the marriage at Cana seems to me to be a rock-solid statement from the top man that Wine Is Good.
Mormons believe in ongoing revelation, and the Top Man is allowed to change his mind!

Having reliable, safe drinking water is rather a modern-day miracle in and of itsely; for most of human history, it has been safer to drink wine/beer than water. As a Mormon of course I believe in ongoing revelation; this one makes sense to me.

But then I also have a strong family history of alcoholism so having an excuse not to drink is a good thing for me.



User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 5336
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#70

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 am

I wondered who spat the tobacco juice on the family photos at Malheur and was shocked when someone said they were sure it was Ryan Bundy. I'd thought that was pretty strictly forbidden.

Orrin Hatch is the fellow who put the bug in 45's ear about downsizing a bunch of national monuments, most well outside Utah. Can Mittens be any worse?



User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 2130
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#71

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 am

Lani wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 am
Jello isn't vegetarian. Does it count towards the limited meat quota? It's made from boiling the bones and hides of animals processed for their meat (usually cows and pigs).
Yep. I haven't made anything with jello in many years, but once I had vegetarians and a vegan in the family that would have put an end to that anyway. My eight-year-old granddaughter has no idea what Jello is.



User avatar
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Location: West of the Pecos
Occupation: Isn't it obvious?

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#72

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am
:snippity: However the actual prohibition is against hot drinks . . .and somehow hot chocolate doesn't count. Some Mormons insist that since coffee and tea aren't allowed, cola isn't either. :snippity:
Some years back, I had a large team of software engineers in a company and several in the group were Mormons. Needless to say, the "coffee break" brought about repeated discussions and from what I was told, the prohibition was against "strong drink." Some considered decaff not strong; some seemed to disregard the high caffeine content of Mt. Dew and saw no problem with it. One didn't worry about green tea. The only really solid no-no was alcohol.

Then again, there's the old joke about Baptists and Mormons - make sure you bring along two if you're going fishing so they won't drink all your beer. 8-)


“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Skip Intro
Posts: 3230
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#73

Post by Skip Intro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

The many faces of Willard Romney.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Sunrise
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#74

Post by Sunrise » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm
The many faces of Willard Romney.

Capture.JPG
Let's simplify things and just say he's two-faced. :mrgreen:


"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

#75

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm
Skip Intro wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm
The many faces of Willard Romney.

Capture.JPG
Let's simplify things and just say he's two-faced. :mrgreen:
And that surprises anyone? We all knew that from his time as governor, if not earlier. He's been two faces for as long as he's been in the public eye; and I remember one story from someone who knew him before he was in the public eye which demonstrated he was two-faced before that too. It's his most enduring trait.



Post Reply

Return to “U.S. Senate”