Willard "Mitt" Romney - US Senator from Utah

RTH10260

Re: He's In! Willard "Mitt" Romney for 2018 Utah US Senate

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Romney praises Trump's first year in office: It's similar to things 'I'd have done'
BY JOHN BOWDEN - 05/01/18 09:38 AM EDT 420

Former GOP presidential nominee and current Senate candidate Mitt Romney praised President Trump's first year in office on Tuesday, saying it was similar to what the first year of a Romney administration would look like.

In response to a question from a voter in Utah, Romney seemed to indicate that he largely approved of the policies pursued by the Trump administration during Trump's first year in the White House, calling it "better than expected," the Washington Examiner reports.

“His first year is very similar to things I’d have done my first year,” Romney said. "The things he’s actually done have been better than I expected.”

Romney quickly added, however, that he would continue to oppose the president if he said something the former Massachusetts governor viewed as "racist" or "divisive."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -things-id

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am

Mitt Romney

@MittRomney
Robert Jeffress says “you can’t be saved by being a Jew,“ and “Mormonism is a heresy from the pit of hell.” He’s said the same about Islam. Such a religious bigot should not be giving the prayer that opens the United States Embassy in Jerusalem.

8:42 PM - May 13, 2018
After the first sentence I thought he was playing to his Mormon base. The second sentence seems to equate Mormonism with Islam. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 am

from the NYT as I post this:

Candidate Party Votes Pct.

Mitt Romney Republican 384,227 61.4%
Jenny Wilson Democrat 205,874 32.9
Tim Aalders Constitution 15,723 2.5
Others 19,978 3.2

625,802 votes, 59% reporting (1,472 of 2,492 precincts)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:29 am

There is something highly disturbing about Mitt Romney. He just lusts for political power, any amount he can get in any damn way. I swear he would run for dogcatcher of some backwoods county if he couldn't get elected to any higher office.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Orlylicious

Re: Willard "Mitt" Romney - US Senator from Utah

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm
Donald is sabotaging Willard to convince Orrin to stay in the Senate until he's 91. During his 2012 reelection campaign, Hatch had pledged that if he were elected that it would be his last term. :lol:
Trump moves to block Romney from the Senate
The president is working hard to persuade 83-year-old Sen. Orrin Hatch to run for reelection, and Mitt isn't happy about it, people close to him say.
By ALEX ISENSTADT 12/03/2017 08:23 PM EST

Donald Trump is going all out to persuade seven-term Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch to seek reelection — a push aimed in no small part at keeping the president’s longtime nemesis, Mitt Romney, out of the Senate. Romney has been preparing to run for Hatch’s seat on the long-held assumption that the 83-year-old would retire. Yet Hatch, the longest-serving Republican senator in history, is now refusing to rule out another campaign — a circumstance Romney’s infuriated inner circle blames squarely on the president. Their suspicions are warranted: Trump has sounded off to friends about how he doesn't like the idea of a Senator Romney. The president’s mostly behind-the-scenes campaign to sway Hatch will burst into public view on Monday, when he arrives in Salt Lake City to hold a well-choreographed event designed to showcase his affection for the powerful Senate Finance Committee chairman.
Trump is slated to ride with Hatch both ways on Air Force One — a total of roughly nine hours round-trip. After descending from the plane together, the two will meet with Mormon leaders and then head to the state capitol for the signing of the executive order, according to three White House officials. Hatch will introduce Trump, who in turn is expected to lavish praise on the senator. After the order is signed, Hatch is expected to receive the president’s pen. The public display of affection isn’t just about blocking Romney, senior administration officials say. Trump has felt loyal to Hatch since the senator defended him in the wake of the “Access Hollywood” tape episode late in the 2016 campaign. Hatch stuck by Trump even as other members of Utah’s Republican delegation withdrew their support
Yet people close to Romney are convinced that Trump’s main motivation is to keep the 2012 GOP presidential nominee out of the Senate. Romney himself has expressed frustration with the ongoing uncertainty about Hatch’s plans, said three Republicans who’ve spoken with him recently. The former Massachusetts governor has pointed out that it was Hatch who urged him to consider running in the first place, but now appears to be wavering on whether to step aside.

"Hatch is a known entity for Trump and has been really good for the president for the most part," said Kirk Jowers, a friend of Romney who formerly served as the chairman and general counsel of his political action committee. "He knows for a fact he's not going to get that with Romney. I don't know that he knows what he's going to get with Romney, but it's not going to be what he's got with Hatch."
Lots more at https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... tch-276805

3 minute takedown of Donald :lol:

Maybe Willard will be able to dust off this nostalgic spanish language ad from 2012, yes he says "I approved this message" in Spanish. Bonus: Features Terminate Obamacare!

GOP is going to be in for a long year ahead. :popcorn:

Hey Donald! Payback is a bitch!
Romney savages Trump's leadership in Washington Post op-ed
The president 'has not risen to the mantle of the office,' writes the incoming Utah senator.
By QUINT FORGEY 01/01/2019 09:16 PM EST

President Donald Trump “has not risen to the mantle” of his office, and his “words and actions have caused dismay around the world,” Mitt Romney wrote Tuesday in an op-ed for The Washington Post.

The scathing rebuke of Trump’s leadership from the former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential nominee comes just two days before Romney is set to be sworn in as Utah’s junior senator.

The op-ed — titled “The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.” — also suggests Romney will not shy away from criticizing the president in ways that cost lawmakers such as outgoing senators Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) considerable political clout within Trump’s Republican Party.

"It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination," Romney wrote. "After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not."

Romney did applaud Trump for several of the administration’s actions over the past two years, including the 2017 Republican tax law, the criminal justice reform bill Trump signed into law last month, Trump’s aggression toward Beijing over China’s trade practices and the White House’s push to confirm conservative jurists to the federal judiciary.

“But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency,” Romney wrote, adding: “With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.”

Romney asserted that Trump’s presidency “made a deep descent” in December following the announced departures of White House chief of staff John Kelly and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis — both retired four-star Marine generals long viewed as stabilizing forces within the administration.

Romney also cited “the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience” as other low points of the past month, appearing to jab at State Department spokeswoman and former Fox News personality Heather Nauert’s nomination to become U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, as well as Deputy Defense Secretary and former Boeing executive Patrick Shanahan’s selection to take Mattis’ place as Pentagon chief.

And while Trump’s appointments of other now-departed administration officials including former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, former White House economic adviser Gary Cohn and former White House national security adviser H.R. McMaster “were encouraging,” Romney wrote, “on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.”

The tone of Tuesday’s op-ed, as well as its timing, are likely to assuage certain congressional lawmakers of both parties who hoped Romney would adopt the role of a Republican elder statesman on Capitol Hill during his freshman term in the Senate — especially following the death of former Sen. John McCain in August and the exodus of many of the president's GOP critics after November’s midterm elections.

“I will act as I would with any president, in or out of my party: I will support policies that I believe are in the best interest of the country and my state, and oppose those that are not,” Romney wrote. “I do not intend to comment on every tweet or fault. But I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... ed-1077403

:lol: :thumbs: :boxing: :towel:

Avatar Photo: Gateway Pundit whines: "QUEEN NANCY: Pence Has Simple Glass of Water – Pelosi Gets a Crystal Water Display at SOTU Address"

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Infighting is funny.
:duel: :kickface:
:cheer1: :dogballoon: :mbounce: :bunny:

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Trump campaign manager hits back at Romney over op-ed slamming president's character

President Trump’s 2020 campaign manager on Tuesday fired back after Sen.-elect Mitt Romney (R-Utah) wrote a searing op-ed criticizing the president's character.

In a tweet, Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale invoked Romney’s failed 2012 presidential bid, accusing the incoming senator of lacking the ability "to save this nation."

“The truth is @MittRomney lacked the ability to save this nation. @realDonaldTrump has saved it,” Parscale wrote on Twitter. “Jealously is a drink best served warm and Romney just proved it. So sad, I wish everyone had the courage @realDonaldTrump had.”

Parscale’s reaction came shortly after Romney penned a Washington Post op-ed slamming Trump’s character and his time in office.
Romney, who was the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, spoke out against Trump during the 2016 election.

“It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination,” Romney wrote. “After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion.” <SNIP>
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... d-slamming
Brad Parscale

@parscale
The truth is @MittRomney lacked the ability to save this nation. @realDonaldTrump has saved it. Jealously is a drink best served warm and Romney just proved it. So sad, I wish everyone had the courage @realDonaldTrump had. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

5:31 PM - Jan 1, 2019

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Jealously (sic) is a drink best served warm? I've heard revenge is a dish best served cold (which makes perfect sense) but warm jealousy drinks? Is that a thing?

ImageImageImage x4

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 pm

I googled "warm jealousy". Tweet results
Dodes 🦄
‏Verified account
@racheld
Dodes 🦄 Retweeted Brad Parscale

Waiter, I’ll have one Jealously, served warm...and for my main course, Revenge, served cold.
► Show Spoiler
Ashley Feinberg
‏Verified account
@ashleyfeinberg
Ashley Feinberg Retweeted Brad Parscale

i want everyone to remember "jealousy is a drink best served warm" a year from now when 100 profiles get assigned trying to frame parscale as some maniacal social media genius
► Show Spoiler

Soledad O'Brien
‏Verified account
@soledadobrien
Soledad O'Brien Retweeted Brad Parscale

“Jealously is a drink best served warm” isn’t a thing, Brad.
► Show Spoiler
ETA
Jake Tapper
‏Verified account
@jaketapper
Jake Tapper Retweeted Brad Parscale

“Jealousy is a drink best served warm”?
► Show Spoiler

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:39 pm

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am

What temperature should a word salad be served at?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 am

Its a standard "tut tut" basically saying Trump should improve his tome while still staying behind everything he is doing. Romney isn't going to give up what he sold his soul for and if he so much as breaths badly against Trump his dreams of being the White Horse President is over.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 am

Mr. Roarke is not impressed.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:43 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 am
Its a standard "tut tut" basically saying Trump should improve his tome while still staying behind everything he is doing. Romney isn't going to give up what he sold his soul for and if he so much as breaths badly against Trump his dreams of being the White Horse President is over.
Yeah, this is much ado about nothing. The number of Republican politicians over the past two years that would pontificate about how horrible the tax bill, or Trump, or whatever, is, then hop on board when it came time to vote, is beyond counting (often only to then point to said speeches as proof they’re being “tough”. What’s tough is casting a no vote. Meaningless speeches are easy).

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:16 am

I was surprised that Romney wanted to get back into politics by running for Senate. I suppose being filthy rich wasn't satisfying enough for him. I was thinking about what might be motivating him. Several reasons come to mind:
  • He might see himself as the next John McCain and become the darling of the Sunday morning talk shows.
  • He could be planning a primary challenge to Trump in 2020 and being a Senator might give his candidacy more legitimacy.
  • He didn't want to end his political career as a loser.
  • He might have some legitimate concerns about what has happened to the Republican party and where Trump is taking it.
He is certainly an improvement over the completely worthless Orrin Hatch. I am not optimistic that he will make any impact on Trump but it might provide some entertainment if he is a gnat on Trump's ass for the next few years.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 am

And now the RNC chairwoman has come out and basically told Mitt to shut up. Which is hilarious when you remember that the RNC chairwoman is Ronna Romney McDaniels, and Mitt Romney is her uncle. I guess if you're going to start something with your relatives, right after the holidays is the best time to do it.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am

Mitt can’t give up. The White Horse prophecy says he was chosen by God to save us. What would it look like if he didn’t even try? Tsk tsk

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 am

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am
Mitt can’t give up. The White Horse prophecy says he was chosen by God to save us. What would it look like if he didn’t even try? Tsk tsk
I thought that was Ammon Bundy. :?

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 am
SLQ wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am
I thought that was Ammon Bundy. :?
Nope. Ammon's family never had the money, the connections, and most importantly, the Mormon heritage (Mitt's a direct descendant of one of the religions' founding apostles) to ever be heard of in upper-crust Mormon circles, much less enable him to be seriously considered as the potential fulfillment of that prophecy. Mitt, on the other hand, met all the criteria.

https://www.salon.com/2012/01/29/mitt_a ... _prophecy/

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Mitt's running for prez, that's certain. Yay! Another white, uber-wealthy, out-of-touch old man vying to control the lives of women, along with the lives of all other groups of people who don't belong in the white, uber-wealthy, out-of-touch, religious, white male set.

On the bright side, we can look forward to the constant replaying of Mitt's greatest hits:

1) The dog-pooping-on-the-roof-of-the-Romney-family-stationwagon-on-a-road-trip story;

2) the Mister's claim that his sons didn't serve in the military because they courageously served their country by participating in Mitt's election campaigns;

3) Mrs. Mittster's lament that during their poverty-stricken days as students, they had to use some of their trust fund money to pay the bills;

4) Mrs. Mittster's advice to other MS victims that they should all get horses (horses and their care are so cheap, right?) because riding is good therapy.

And many more Fab Mitt Romney & Family Tales Too Numerous to Mention. :thumbs:

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Return to “U.S. Senate”