Texas US Senate 2018

Addie

Texas US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

The Hill
Cruz’s Democratic challenger officially files for Senate

Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) has officially filed to challenge Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in 2018.

O’Rourke, who has served in Congress since 2013, announced in late March that he would take on Cruz next year. It’ll be an uphill battle for O'Rourke, since no Democrat has won a Senate election in Texas since 1988.

“Today’s filing is not only a chance to recommit ourselves to this critical race, but to recommit to running it in the right way: being present, accountable, candid, transparent and powering each step of the way by people not PACs,” O’Rourke said on Monday.

O’Rourke, who filed his candidacy for Senate alongside local and state Democratic leaders, detailed the last eight months since he announced his bid, which included holding 85 public events across Texas and visiting more than 155 counties.

He said he’ll spend most of December traveling around the state and will hit 30 counties ahead of the end-of-the-month holidays.

O’Rourke has raised nearly $2.8 million since he jumped into the race, according to reports filed with the Federal Election Commission. But Cruz, who’s also a prolific fundraiser, has nearly twice as much cash on hand, with nearly $5.7 million.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Texas US Senate 2018

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11 am

Go! Go! Beto!!!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:29 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/37 ... ssion=true
Dem poll: Cruz leads Dem challenger by single digits
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) leads Rep. Beto O'Rourke (Texas), his likely Democratic opponent in November, by single digits, according to a new poll conducted by a left-leaning firm.

End Citizens United, a campaign finance reform group, released a poll conducted by Public Policy Polling that finds Cruz leading O'Rourke by 8 points, 45 to 37 percent. Eighteen percent were undecided.

Wednesday's poll is in contrast with an internal poll from Cruz's campaign earlier this month that showed the GOP senator surging ahead of O'Rourke by 18 points. The survey also found that O'Rourke struggles with name recognition compared to Cruz.

In the first poll, both Cruz and President Trump have negative favorability ratings in Texas. Thirty-eight percent view Cruz favorably, while 49 percent view him unfavorably. For Trump, who won Texas by 9 points in the 2016 election, 45 percent view him favorably, compared to 48 percent who view him unfavorably.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Incumbents polling well under 50% are in trouble. But lots of things could change in the next 9 months.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 pm

My big caveat is that the poll showing a close-ish race is from End Citizens United. Much as I sympathize with their cause, they aren't exactly what you think of when you say the phrase "reputable and unbiased polling shop." If they came out with a poll showing the majority of Texans were in favor of free beer, I'd have questions about the methodology.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 pm

The poll was conducted by Public Policy Polling, reputable enough.
fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 pm
My big caveat is that the poll showing a close-ish race is from End Citizens United. Much as I sympathize with their cause, they aren't exactly what you think of when you say the phrase "reputable and unbiased polling shop." If they came out with a poll showing the majority of Texans were in favor of free beer, I'd have questions about the methodology.

¡Sterngard! come home.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 pm
The poll was conducted by Public Policy Polling, reputable enough.
Yeah, but why is a PPP poll being released by ECU rather than PPP itself? That's the part that I don't get. It almost seems like PPP leaked an outlier poll to ECU.

:confused:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm

ECU was the client. The client gets to control what it hires.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 pm

I like Beto. He's a good looking guy who is obviously smart. I did get an aggressive text from his campaign about a month ago though, and I've never sent my cell number to the campaign. So, that turned me off a bit. But I still may do some work for him. Anything is better than Grandpa Munster.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am

Associated Press
Texas Democrat risks rising-star status in long-shot race ...

Still, he said he saw little hope of changing the country’s direction under President Donald Trump by just returning to the House. So lately, he’s been holding jogging sessions, rallies and town halls across the state while raising a respectable nearly $4 million.

If it’s a suicide mission, O’Rourke’s campaign is a colorful one, with lively, occasionally profane rhetoric and attention-getting events that sometimes seem as much about partying as policy.

He wants to legalize marijuana and ease immigration policies and opposes Trump’s border wall, likening it to the Berlin Wall that future generations will rue. But O’Rourke says also he’s courting Trump voters since the president has “asked the right questions about people who have felt left behind.” ...

O’Rourke’s campaign has refused outside political money and doesn’t employ consultants. Before announcing his Senate run, O’Rourke called U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, head of the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, about possible financial help.

“He said, ‘Hey Beto, I’ve got to tell you, from the DSCC’s perspective, I would be fired for malpractice if I invested any money in Texas,’” O’Rourke recalled.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am

Texas Tribune
With $2.4 million haul, Ted Cruz challenger Beto O'Rourke has his biggest fundraising quarter yet

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso, says he raised more than $2.4 million over the last three months — his biggest fundraising quarter since he launched his campaign to unseat U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

The figure was accompanied by a spike in the number of individual contributions that his campaign received — from almost 33,000 in the third quarter to over 55,000 during the most recent period, he said in an interview.

"The fact it’s the most we’ve raised and that we are adding tens of thousands of more individual contributions shows that the interest in the campaign is only increasing," O'Rourke said. "And the fact that most of that is Texans is really, really encouraging."

O'Rourke revealed his fundraising haul ahead of the Wednesday deadline to disclose it and other figures to the Federal Election Commission. Cruz, who is seeking a second term, has not yet volunteered his numbers.

O'Rourke didn't say how much cash on hand his campaign had as it entered 2018. Cruz has maintained a big advantage in that category, ending the third quarter with $6.4 million in the bank to O'Rourke's $2.8 million.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

Addie wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am
Texas Tribune
With $2.4 million haul, Ted Cruz challenger Beto O'Rourke has his biggest fundraising quarter yet

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso, says he raised more than $2.4 million over the last three months — his biggest fundraising quarter since he launched his campaign to unseat U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

The figure was accompanied by a spike in the number of individual contributions that his campaign received — from almost 33,000 in the third quarter to over 55,000 during the most recent period, he said in an interview.

"The fact it’s the most we’ve raised and that we are adding tens of thousands of more individual contributions shows that the interest in the campaign is only increasing," O'Rourke said. "And the fact that most of that is Texans is really, really encouraging."

:snippity:
This is encouraging. :thumbs:

Addie

Re: Texas US Senate 2018; Primary March 6

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am

Dallas Morning News: We recommend Beto O'Rourke in the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:30 pm

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ke-a-hike/
A Major Texas Newspaper Just Told Ted Cruz to Take a Hike
The list of folks who don’t like the first-term senator really knows no bounds.

The Dallas Morning News‘ editorial board chose not to endorse Ted Cruz in the upcoming Republican primary, instead telling voters to cast ballots for a 37-year-old Houston energy lawyer.

The board cited Cruz’s few legislative wins, infamous unpopularity in Washington, and his decision this week to vote against opening bipartisan debate over immigration as reasons to vote for his competitor, Stefano de Stefano, one of five candidates vying to clinch the Republican nomination on March 6.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Returns at New York Times - it looks like AP already called it for Beto in the Dem Primary.
U.S. Senate
Democratic Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Beto O'Rourke 276,189 62.5%
Sema Hernandez 98,094 22.2
Edward Kimbrough 67,379 15.3

2% reporting (117 of 7,694 precincts)
Republican Primary
Candidate Vote Pct.
Ted Cruz* 494,861 84.4%
Mary Miller 37,267 6.4
Bruce Jacobson 25,240 4.3
Others 28,837 4.9

2% reporting (131 of 7,687 precincts)

* Incumbent

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Re: Texas US Senate 2018; Primary 3/6

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Politico
Cruz, O'Rourke easily win primaries in Texas

Voters in Texas fired the starting pistol of the 2018 midterm elections on Tuesday, going to the polls to choose nominees for governor, a Senate seat and 36 congressional districts — including a handful of races that could determine which party controls the House next year.

Two statewide, Republican incumbents with national aspirations, Gov. Greg Abbott and Sen. Ted Cruz, won renomination easily. Cruz will face Rep. Beto O’Rourke, who dispatched two challengers in the Democratic primary, in November.

The Texas primaries are setting up as a crucial, first test of national Democrats’ strategy to muscle out candidates it sees as weaker in the general election, potentially threatening the party's quest to recapture Congress. And both parties will be closely monitoring turnout trends — especially following a surge of Democratic voters casting their ballots early, either in person or by mail — to determine whether the Texas primaries are the latest harbinger of spiking Democratic enthusiasm in the first nationwide elections under President Donald Trump this fall.

While Tuesday is Election Day, early voting began on Feb. 20 — and in the 15 most populated counties of the state alone, more than 885,000 voters had already submitted their ballots by the time early voting ended last Friday.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Forrest Wilder

@Forrest4Trees

It's pretty remarkable to see a Democratic candidate running for a high office in Texas brag about an 'F' rating from the NRA. But @BetoORourke is doing it.
4:04 PM - Mar 21, 2018
:thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:53 am

Daily Beast
Beto O’Rourke Just Raked In an Epic $6.7M Haul in Fight to Unseat Ted Cruz

Rep. Beto O’Rourke, the Democrat from El Paso, has raised an eye-popping $6.7 million plus in the first quarter of 2018, his Senate campaign announced early Tuesday.

First reported by The Texas Tribune, the cumulative total came from more than 141,000 contributions as O’Rourke mounts an aggressive campaign against incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

“We’re absolutely running this race the right way—not taking any PAC money, going to every single county and holding town halls across Texas where anyone can ask any question,” O’Rourke said in a statement provided to The Daily Beast. “Campaigning in a grassroots fashion while raising more than $6.7 million from 141,000 contributions, we are the story of a campaign powered by people who are standing up to special interests, proving that we are more than a match and making it clear that Texans are willing to do exactly what our state and country need of us at this critical time.”

It is the biggest fundraising haul the campaign has had since O’Rourke entered the race and the largest amount any Democratic Senate candidate brought in for last quarter.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm

The country would be so much better off without Cruz in the Senate. I really hope O'Rourke can kick his ass out of Congress, and hopefully, for good.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm
The country would be so much better off without Cruz in the Senate. I really hope O'Rourke can kick his ass out of Congress, and hopefully, for good.
:thumbs: :like: :stamp: :winner:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 am

Beto O'Rourke

@BetoORourke
27m
Only the American people through their representatives in Congress can decide to attack another country that has not attacked us.

Beto O'Rourke

@BetoORourke

I have joined with colleagues from both sides of the aisle to end the open authorization for endless war. We cannot put the burden of our foreign policy, the problems of the world, solely on the backs of our service members.
10:28 AM - Apr 14, 2018
This morning Beto is tweeting a lot about Syrian refugees and limiting the president's war powers.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Mother Jones
This Poll Is Extremely Bad News for Ted Cruz

Texas Democratic Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke has more cash on hand than Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, an army of small-dollar donors, and a penchant for drawing big crowds for everything from 5 a.m. jogs to small-town meet-and-greets. But in a state where Democrats haven’t won a statewide election since 1996, does the El Paso congressman actually have a shot at knocking off Cruz?

A new poll from Quinnipiac suggests it’s not as far-fetched as it once seemed. The Connecticut-based pollster has O’Rourke just three points back, and within the margin of error at 47–44 ...

It’s one poll, and it’s still early. (A earlier survey from PPP had Cruz up by eight percent.) But something strange is happening in Texas this year, and O’Rourke shows no signs of going away quietly.
Adding:
Quinnipiac Polling Institute: April 18, 2018 - Cruz, O'Rourke Too Close To Call In Texas Senate Race, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; In Governor's Race, Abbott Tops Valdez Or Whit

¡Sterngard! come home.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu May 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Recent polling has been rather discouraging for our Beto. :(

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6310.html

Am I being detained?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 pm

In a recent Quinnipiac University poll, many Texans said they did not know who Beto O''Rourke is. This can be fixed with money.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “U.S. Senate”