Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

mmmirele

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Post by mmmirele » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:45 pm

They're all horrible, horrible candidates: Arpaio, McSally, Ward.

Arpaio, you know it already.

McSally is tacking more to the right and she was no liberal to start out with.

As for Ward, when it came out last year that McCain had a glioblastoma, she publicly suggested that he resign and Gov. Ducey should appoint her to the seat. I just know that quote is going to pop up sooner or later in someone's advertising, because it is just simply awful.

As for Kyrsten Sinema, she votes with the Rs too many times to make me happy, but I am not a fool. I will vote for the D on the ballot.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 am

Apparently Shurf Joe did an interview recently:

Some more stuff in that thread

bob

Post by bob » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 am

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:59 pm

A stupid idea, even for Arpaio. He's sundowning in the morning now.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Kick somebody out and then expect them to be ambassadors of our greatness? :rolleye:

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Newsweek: Joe Arpaio Claims He ‘Proved’ Obama Birth Certificate Is ‘Fake’ and Will Resume Debunked ‘Birther’ Movement If Elected:
Joe Arpaio, who is running for Senator in Arizona despite a criminal conviction, has promised to resurrect a debunked conspiracy theory about former President Barack Obama’s birth certificate, if elected to office.

The octogenarian former sheriff, who has repeatedly been accused of human rights abuses for his treatment of Hispanic inmates, is a staunch ally of President Trump. Like Trump, Arpaio was an early proponent of so-called birtherism—a movement of people who openly doubted or denied the eligibility of Obama to serve in office, based around the false notion that he was not a natural-born citizen. The movement has been labeled by many as racist.

While Trump has moved on from, but never apologized for, his birther past, Arpaio appeared to reconjure the conspiracy while speaking to a room of supporters at the Western Conservative Conference in Phoenix, which took place over the weekend. Video of Arpaio’s chat was posted to YouTube by the channel Tru Conservative TV, and archived by the non-profit publication Right Wing Watch.

“I talked about another thing that made a little news,” Arpaio told the small gathering. “I don’t talk about it anymore—until I become the U.S. senator…but that’s something to do with a document. If I ask you guys—I’m a nothing now, but if I was still the sheriff I could ask for your birth certificate.”

“One hundred percent we proved that’s a fake document,” Arpaio added. “One hundred.”

“I’m not going to go into all the detail, but yes, it’s a phony document,” he told the network then.
Arpaio's predictable "dropping" (but continuously referencing) Obama's birth certificate means Zullo and Gallups can stall until at least the primaries.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Which morons are going to vote for an 85 year old?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:15 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

:lol:
The usual suspects.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

bob

Post by bob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Poor Orly, this is gonna conflict her so bad.

Support Joe cuz he proved the BC is fake

or

Be mad at Joe cuz he stole all her grift megabucks?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

bob

Post by bob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 pm

ABC: Poll: Joe Arpaio trails in GOP race for U.S. Senate seat in Arizona:
Joe Arpaio is falling far behind in the Republican Primary for U.S. Senate in Arizona, an exclusive new poll from ABC15/OHPI shows.

The poll, conducted April 10 and 11, asked likely GOP primary voters who they would vote for in an August election between Kelli Ward, Martha McSally, and Joe Arpaio.

In total, 55% of respondents had a very or somewhat favorable opinion of Arpaio, but the former Maricopa County Sheriff only captured 22% of the GOP primary vote.

Ward came out ahead, with 36% of the vote, compared to 27% for McSally and 22% for Arpaio.

The poll was conducted on April 10th thru 11th via phone among 302 likely Republican primary voters where 17% of respondents answered via cell phone and 81% via landline. The margin of error is +/- 5.64%.

Miss Meh

Post by Miss Meh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 am

Six degrees of separation and slightly off-topic because "not Arpaio" - I found out this week that the former VP of a company I worked for in the early 2000's is running for the Republican nomination for Senate in AZ.

The only thing I really remember about her is that when I worked in the Call Center of said company, one time she came in at the end of the day when all our management was already gone and asked if anyone wanted any of her shoes that she was going to donate to charity. I remember leaning over to my cube-mate and saying (under my breath) something to the effect of "No, but I could use some panties if you have any."

I mean, I understand the sentiment now because they were designer shoes, but coming into the entry-level dept of the company you manage & trying to give away your used apparel just seemed like such a "let them eat cake" gesture at the time.

http://www.griffinforsenate.com/

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am

The Hill
Poll: Sinema leads GOP candidates in Arizona Senate race

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) is leading all Republican candidates in head-to-head match-ups in the Arizona Senate race, according to a poll released Thursday.

A poll from OH Predictive Insights and ABC15 Arizona found that Sinema leads Rep. Martha McSally (R) by 6 points, 48 to 42 percent. Sinema’s margin increases by double digits when pitted against former state Sen. Kelli Ward (R) and former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio (R). She leads Ward, 50 to 40 percent, and Arpaio, 59 to 33 percent.

Arizona is one of Democrats’ two best pick-up opportunities this cycle. Sinema, who’s expected to cruise the Democratic nomination, is vying for the seat being vacated by Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). Republicans, meanwhile, are facing a three-way primary that is still wide open.

Sinema’s dominance among independent voters gives her a major boost in all three head-to-heads with Republicans. Sinema leads with independents by more than 60 percent in her match-ups against McSally and Ward and 76 percent when facing Arpaio.

That can likely be attributed to the fact that President Trump’s favorability is underwater among independent voters, with only 25 percent of voters viewing him favorably and 74 percent viewing him unfavorably.

Those numbers slightly improve among all voters, with 43 percent viewing Trump favorably, compared to 56 percent who view him unfavorably.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Rep. SInema became Sen. Sinema? That would be the same Kyrsten Sinema who appeared on RC Radio and completely gutted Georgia State Representative Mark Hatfield and his Birther bill in 2011. That would be an occasion to

:happyfamily: :bar:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Rep. SInema became Sen. Sinema? That would be the same Kyrsten Sinema who appeared on RC Radio and completely gutted Georgia State Representative Mark Hatfield and his Birther bill in 2011. That would be an occasion to

Hopefully none of these house seats will go to Tea Party nut jobs when the Dems take the Senate seats.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Yay, I remember something :geezerette:
Reality Check wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Ariz. Family: Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio raises more than half a million for Senate campaign:
Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced he has reached more than half a million dollars for his campaign for Arizona Senator.

Arpaio didn’t enter the race until mid-January and gained more than 14,000 donors almost immediately. He said he had $250,000 cash on hand entering the second-quarter.
Grifter gotta ....

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Not enough to run a senate campaign. But, then, when was Arpaio serious about doing anything but feathering his own nest?

bob

Post by bob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Ariz. Rep.: In Arizona's Senate race, has Joe Arpaio lost his fundraising mojo?:
These days, as a Republican candidate aiming for his party’s nomination for the U.S. Senate, the one-time Maricopa County lawman isn’t bringing in the money like he used to.

Arpaio, who was ousted during his 2016 re-election bid for sheriff and was convicted of contempt of court in connection with a federal racial-profiling case, brought in $500,000 for the first fundraising quarter of the Senate, his team reported. He has $250,000 on hand.

That amount pales in comparison to the prolific fundraising of the first five months of Arpaio's fundraising for county sheriff in 2016, where he reported raising nearly $2 million.

And it is far less than the fundraising prowess demonstrated by his primary opponent, U.S. Rep. Martha McSally, of Tucson, and the Democratic front-runner, U.S. Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, of Phoenix.

Jennifer Duffy, who analyzes U.S. Senate races for the Cook Political Report, described Arpaio's fundraising as lackluster compared with the money he brought in two years ago, when he was in the national spotlight and fighting a high-profile court battle.

"A Senate race is just different," Duffy said. "And there's a lot of speculation about why he's really in it. He's probably paying a lot to raise a lot ... and you're not going to win this primary without TV in a real campaign."

If elected, Arpaio, 85, would be the oldest elected freshman senator in U.S. history. His underwhelming fundraising only adds to the concerns that his run is intended to stoke his infamous ego than a legitimate run for the seat.

McSally’s campaign spokeswoman said the two-term congresswoman "brought in" $2.75 million during the first quarter, likely a reflection of her time in Congress.

Torunn Sinclair, a McSally spokeswoman, said the campaign has $3.18 million on hand from more than 20,000 people, "and we haven't even kicked into" high gear, she said.

Ward, a doctor who entered the race more than a year ago, raised even less than Arpaio.

Ward, who began running in the 2018 Senate race almost immediately after losing her 2016 primary challenge, reported raising $467,000 during the first quarter, bringing her fundraising total to $2 million from more than 18,000 donors. Ward's statement did not detail the time frame of the fundraising. Her statement also did not say how much money she has on hand and her campaign also did not provide a summary of its contributions and donors.

Ward said an independent super political action committee supporting her bid, KelliPAC, raised another half-million dollars.

Sinema’s campaign, meanwhile, raised $2.5 million last quarter, according to her report, which was shared by the campaign with The Arizona Republic. She spent nearly $1 million.

Sinema has nearly $6.7 million on hand.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Arpaio isn't a serious candidate, anymore than Steve Forbes was a serious candidate for President.

McSally's campaign messaging, on the other hand, has been exceptionally vile. :sick:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

bob

Post by bob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:50 pm

RWW: Breitbart Turns Its Back On Joe Arpaio, Backs Kelli Ward:
After years of Breitbart fawning over Joe Arpaio, the infamous former sheriff pardoned by Trump after he was convicted of violating a court order on racial profiling, the site’s top editor has decided not to support Arpaio’s run for Senate.

Breitbart applauded Trump for pardoning Arpaio after he was convicted of criminal contempt of court, and Breitbart writers have applauded Arpaio’s hardline stance against undocumented immigrants and praise for President Trump. But this morning on “Breitbart News Daily,” Breitbart editor-in-chief Alex Marlow hosted Kelli Ward, who is running in the primary against Arpaio, and argued that Breitbart readers should support her instead because she is the “better candidate.”

“The latest polls we have at Breitbart News show you with a pretty strong lead over the establishment candidate Martha McSally and also Sheriff Joe, who is sort of more of a single-issue guy, older guy, who has a lot of fans in the Breitbart ethos but I don’t think necessarily a lot of voter support,” Marlow said.

He added later, “It’s kind of a funny race because I have a lot of affection for Sheriff Joe but I would prefer that you win the race.”

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm

RWW: Joe Arpaio Suggests Replicating His Tent City Along The Border:
In an interview with “Breitbart News Daily” last week, Arizona U.S. Senate candidate Joe Arpaio suggested taking the infamous tent city he ran as sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, to house immigrants at the southern border of the U.S.

Arpaio’s tent city jail, which he once referred to as a “concentration camp,” gained national infamy for its harsh conditions for inmates.

The host of the Breitbart show read a question from a listener, who asked Arpaio if the tent city was “something you could implement at a broader level, at a national level perhaps.”

“Yeah, great question,” Arpaio said. “I started that with Korean War tents right after I took office, 24 years. It’s hot here in Maricopa County. Over half a million had come through the tent city, so why not put the tents up at the border, save some money, nothing wrong with that, so I’m going to pursue that too. As a U.S. senator I’ll have more authority than I do as the Maricopa County sheriff, so I’m going to use that authority and do what I feel is right.”

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm

bob wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm
:snippity:
“Yeah, great question,” Arpaio said. “I started that with Korean War tents right after I took office, 24 years. It’s hot here in Maricopa County. Over half a million had come through the tent city, so why not put the tents up at the border, save some money, nothing wrong with that, so I’m going to pursue that too. As a U.S. senator I’ll have more authority than I do as the Maricopa County sheriff, so I’m going to use that authority and do what I feel is right.”
:confused: So, sheriff isn't the final and supreme law of the land?

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:53 pm

bob wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm
RWW: Joe Arpaio Suggests Replicating His Tent City Along The Border:
“Yeah, great question,” Arpaio said. “I started that with Korean War tents right after I took office, 24 years. It’s hot here in Maricopa County. Over half a million had come through the tent city, so why not put the tents up at the border, save some money, nothing wrong with that, so I’m going to pursue that too. As a U.S. senator I’ll have more authority than I do as the Maricopa County sheriff, so I’m going to use that authority and do what I feel is right.
uhh - yes - a yuuge amount of legislative authority handed to you, not so much executive though. And you will need to play nice with some other 99 Senators if you as a rookie wish to put your signature unto a proposition that will get shelved.

Return to “U.S. Senate”