Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

SLQ

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Post by SLQ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Accepting a pardon tends to concede that one did not expect to win (or at least did not expect good odds of winning) an appeal, but I do not think it actually equals an admission of guilt. There are a few situations where accepting a pardon - rather than winning on appeal - is treated as still being convicted, one reason why a pardon might be refused.
The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you. In 1915, the Supreme Court indeed said, of pardons, that “acceptance” carries “a confession of” guilt. Burdick v. United States (1915).

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Run, Joe, Run!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm
The Federalist: Joe Arpaio’s Campaign Risks Another Unnecessary Republican Senate Loss.

Observer: Even Joe Arpaio Can’t Keep Arizona Republican.

The Week: Deus Ex Arpaio.

Nat'l Rev.: No, Joe.

KJZZ: Joe Arpaio's Entrance Into Arizona U.S. Senate Race Changes Fundraising Landscape:
[Consultant Chuck]Coughlin said he’s already seeing signs that establishment Republicans and donors are lining up with McSally. He said Arpaio will have to rely on alternative channels to raise money.

The first FEC filing deadline of 2018, which will shed more light on fundraising efforts by all the candidates, is April 15. The primary election is Aug. 28.
The following quote is from a link near the bottom of the National Review article mentioned above. It's an article that discusses the Arpaio pardon. This is just a small paragraph from that article, there is quite a bit that might be interesting to many on this forum.

Here is the link to the full article, part one of two by the same author. Apparently these two articles are a more in depth discussion of another article (there is a link in the first paragraph for anyone wanting to go to the very beginning of the series).

I found one thing in particular just utterly sickening.
Trump did not give the system an opportunity to work. On that score, it has been reported that the president consulted with Attorney General Jeff Sessions on the possibility of dismissing the case. Sessions argued against that, and the prosecution was permitted to go forward. I’ll have more to say in the later column about the propriety vel non of Trump’s raising the matter with Sessions. For now, the more obvious point will suffice: The rationale that favored allowing the trial to go forward would equally have called for allowing the appellate process to go forward. The point was to allow the system to work, and Arpaio to be vindicated (if there were grounds for vindication) without extraordinary presidential interference.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -impulsive

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm

If the DOJ had sought to dismiss the case, my reading of the statute is that the trial judge would have been empowered to hire private counsel.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm
The Federalist: Joe Arpaio’s Campaign Risks Another Unnecessary Republican Senate Loss.

Observer: Even Joe Arpaio Can’t Keep Arizona Republican.

The Week: Deus Ex Arpaio.

Nat'l Rev.: No, Joe.

KJZZ: Joe Arpaio's Entrance Into Arizona U.S. Senate Race Changes Fundraising Landscape:
[Consultant Chuck]Coughlin said he’s already seeing signs that establishment Republicans and donors are lining up with McSally. He said Arpaio will have to rely on alternative channels to raise money.

The first FEC filing deadline of 2018, which will shed more light on fundraising efforts by all the candidates, is April 15. The primary election is Aug. 28.
He's always got that election slush fund he was always adding to with birfer and geezer bucks, but then I expect he wants that for his retirement fund though.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Arpaio called Flake's calling out of Trump "Treason" and said there needs to be "limits on criticising the President"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... en-treason
Former Maricopa County Sherrif Joe Arpaio, who is running for Sen. Jeff Flake's (R-Ariz.) seat, said the speech this week from the Arizona Republican sharply criticizing President Trump on the Senate floor could be considered "a borderline treason-type situation."

"I don't know if Sen. Flake should make some comments against our commander in chief. I'm not saying — it could be considered by some a borderline treason-type situation. I'm not accusing him of that," Arpaio told CBS-5 in Phoenix on Wednesday.

Arpaio went on to say that Flake and the public have the right to call out the president and the government "within reason."

It’s almost like on the borderline — I’m not accusing him of treason,” he said. “But you know, you have to be careful how you go after our commander in chief because the whole world is watching.”
Nah.. he's accusing him of exercising his Right to Criticise.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Arpaio — like Trump, one of the more vocal advocates of the "birther" movement that pushed the idea that former President Obama was not born in the U.S. — told NBC News earlier on Wednesday that he was not flat-out accusing Flake of treason.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Well we know old Joe isn't a borderline criminal. He went all the way. ;)

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 am

Arpaio officially files for Senate run
Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio (R) officially filed paperwork to run for Arizona's Senate seat in play during November's midterm elections.

The 85-year-old Arpaio submitted his candidacy earlier this week, according to a filing with the Federal Election Commission.
In a statement last week, Arpaio said he was running for Senate to provide a reliable vote for Trump's agenda in the Senate.

“I have a lot to offer. I’m a big supporter of President Trump,” he told The Washington Examiner.

“I’m going to have to work hard; you don’t take anything for granted. But I would not be doing this if I thought that I could not win. I’m not here to get my name in the paper, I get that every day, anyway,” he said. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... senate-run

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am

These goddamn hypocrites make me sick :sick:
bob wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm
Arpaio — like Trump, one of the more vocal advocates of the "birther" movement that pushed the idea that former President Obama was not born in the U.S. — told NBC News earlier on Wednesday that he was not flat-out accusing Flake of treason.
Do as I say, not as I do.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Steve King Throws His Support Behind Arizona’s Kelli Ward

Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King endorsed Kelli Ward for Arizona’s Republican U.S. Senate seat Friday morning.

“Dr. Ward will be a fighter for America First policies that prioritize the safety, security, and well-being of the American people. We don’t need any more senators who will go to Washington and compromise on the promises that they made to the voters who elected them,” King said in a written statement.
< links to azcentral
Immigration hard-liner Steve King endorses Kelli Ward in Arizona's U.S. Senate race

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 046639001/ >
Dr. Kelli Ward ✔
@kelliwardaz
Honored to receive the endorsement of Rep. @SteveKingIA, a true Constitutional conservative! I look forward to working with him in Washington to advance real #AmericaFirst immigration policies, reduce our #NationalDebt, & finally repeal #Obamacare. #AZSEN https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 046639001/

6:31 AM - Jan 19, 2018 · Lake Havasu City, AZ
23 23 Replies 293 293 Retweets 497 497 likes
http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/19/steve ... elli-ward/

eta: BONUS - at the azcentral link, a video:
Through the years, Steve King, a Republican congressman from western Iowa, has made several widely criticized remarks during his years in office. This is a brief history of some of those moments.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 am

Arpaio files appeal to have criminal conviction removed

Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has filed to have a contempt of court conviction cleared as he officially kicks off his bid to be Arizona's next senator.

Local Arizona news station KTAR reports that Arpaio filed an appeal Friday with the U.S. District Court, arguing that Judge Susan Bolton “refused to give the Sheriff a trial by jury,” and that her “verdict was completely unsupported by the evidence, among numerous other reasons" when she found him in contempt of court for refusing to stop profiling Hispanics at traffic stops for immigration checks.

In October, following a presidential pardon of the sheriff, Bolton accepted that Arpaio would not face sentencing but did not vacate her ruling that found Arpaio guilty.
Arpaio was convicted of contempt in in July, before being pardoned by President Trump in October.
<SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... n-reversed
( arpaio-files-to-have-conviction-reversed )

OOPS :madguy: This is the wrong thread, huh? :blackeye:
Somebody want to cross-post or make a new thread?

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

As discussed in the thread about Arpaio's criminal case, he filed his notice of appeal back in October.

In other words, Arpaio just released a press release about an event that occurred a few months ago. (The Hill, unsurprisingly, got it wrong when it said that Arpaio filed his appeal on Friday.) Because candidate Arpaio needs everyone to know that he's fighting his conviction.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Off Topic
bob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm
As discussed in the thread about Arpaio's criminal case, he filed his notice of appeal back in October.

In other words, Arpaio just released a press release about an event that occurred a few months ago. (The Hill, unsurprisingly, got it wrong when it said that Arpaio filed his appeal on Friday.) Because candidate Arpaio needs everyone to know that he's fighting his conviction.
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, the Hill article was misleading, IMO.
Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has filed to have a contempt of court conviction cleared as he officially kicks off his bid to be Arizona's next senator. YES

Local Arizona news station KTAR reports that Arpaio filed an appeal Friday with the U.S. District Court, arguing that Judge Susan Bolton
Should have said something like: "On Friday, KTAR reports that Arpaio has filed an appeal........"
JANUARY 19, 2018 AT 8:20 PM
Joe Arpaio files appeal to undo contempt of court conviction

PHOENIX – Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has filed an appeal to undo his criminal contempt of court conviction, Arpaio said in a release Friday. <SNIP>
https://ktar.com/story/1910762/joe-arpa ... w=comments

Brian Reilly

Post by Brian Reilly » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 pm

bob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

The Arpaio notice of appeal, Case #17-10448, was electronically filed on 1/18/2018, with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

http://files.constantcontact.com/196325 ... a317f2.pdf

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Brian Reilly wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 pm
The Arpaio notice of appeal, Case #17-10448, was electronically filed on 1/18/2018, with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Arpaio's notice of appeal was filed in the district court in October. The link is to Arpaio's opening brief (filed in the 9th).

(Too also: this thread is about Arpaio's campaign; there's a separate thread for his criminal proceedings (and also (too) a thread for the civil proceedings, a miscellaneous Arpaio thread, and of course the Arpaio/Zullo/Gallups thread)).

Brian Reilly

Post by Brian Reilly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

SPECULATION:

With Joe Arpaios's formal filing of his papers http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/519/2018011 ... 001519.pdf for his run for a seat in the U.S. Senate, it's beginning to feel like 2012, here in Arizona again. We've seen a flurry of activity from the Birther groupies in the past few weeks that looks like the beginning of a very organized campaign effort to raise funds and to spread the breathless word about Joe Arpaio's recently disclosed Birther findings. In the old days, when things weren't working out for the Birthers or they were caught in another misrepresentation, they would simply move the goal posts, time and time again. At the heart of this new wave of Birtherism is Mike Zullo. Few people understand or appreciate how connected at the hip, Joe Arpaio and Mike Zullo have been over the years. The questions that continue to cross my mind are these: What's in this for Mike? If elected to the U.S. Senate, should we expect that Mike Zullo will be appointed to Joe Arpaio's Senate Staff? If elected will we see the old familiar Arpaio and Zullo partnership bringing in a new era of Birtherism on a national level? Hopefully not. However, there are some very ignorant, voters in Arizona who don't seem to have a clue what former Sheriff Arpaio has done to people of color here who were victims of his immigration sweeps and detentions and arrests absent probable cause, according to court records. They also haven't a clue about the financial straits that Joe has left the county floundering. The other option that may be at work here is that Arpaio will continue to vigorously raise campaign funds and then pull the plug on his campaign when the situation is right. However this works out, Arizona voters would be foolish to send Joe Arpaio, a convicted criminal, to the U.S. Senate.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Question: does the election districe for this Senate seat comprise more that Mariopa County, how many more informed voters are there outside of the former sheriffs supporter circle?

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:06 pm
Question: does the election districe for this Senate seat comprise more that Mariopa County, how many more informed voters are there outside of the former sheriffs supporter circle?
The whole state votes for the two U.S. Senators. They hold six year terms. Jeff Flake's seat is up for grabs in Nov 2018. John McCain was just re-elected in 2016, so he is just one year into his six year term.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
The senate seat is a statewide election. I would guess Arpaio is even less popular outside Maricopa County where he lost in 2016.

vic

Post by vic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
There isn't a district per se for US Senate seats. The two seats for each state are statewide.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks! One can hope that Ms Common Sense is still very alive outside Maricopa County.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 pm

The Constitution originally called for senators to be appointed by the state legislatures. It is only since the passage of the 17th Amendment in 1913 that senators have been elected by the voters. Some right wing nut jobs want to repeal the 17th Amendment and go back to the old system of having senators appointed rather than elected.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Arpaio won't win the Republican nomination.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
The whole state votes for the two U.S. Senators. They hold six year terms. Jeff Flake's seat is up for grabs in Nov 2018. John McCain was just re-elected in 2016, so he is just one year into his six year term.
Citation?

/Orly

Return to “U.S. Senate”