Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Addie

Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Thread title changed

----------------------------

The Arizona Republic
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema enters Senate race, hoping to unseat Jeff Flake

U.S. Rep. Kyrsten Sinema is running for the Senate seat held by Jeff Flake, ending months of speculation about her political future and giving Democrats a top-tier fundraiser with experience on Capitol Hill.

In a video announcing her bid, the Arizona Democrat recounts her upbringing in a family that fell from the middle class into homelessness. She made her way to Congress, Sinema says, with hard work and help from "family, church and, sometimes, even the government." ...

Sinema, who has a reputation as an energetic problem-solver not focused on partisanship, said she intends to make her work on behalf of military veterans and in cutting regulatory red tape for businesses the core issues of her campaign. ...

The announcement echoes her frequent lament that "Washington is broken." But she also brings a relatively slender list of legislative accomplishments in Congress, where gridlock has dominated since Sinema first won her House seat in 2012. ...

Sinema has set her sights on unseating Flake, who is already battling former state Sen. Kelli Ward for the Republican nomination and is trailing the GOP challenger in recent polls. But before that, Sinema faces attorney and community activist Deedra Abboud in the race for the Democratic nomination, as well as political unknowns Jim Moss of Globe and Richard Sherzan of Mesa.

¡Sterngard! come home.

GhostOfSolomon

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018

Post by GhostOfSolomon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Speaking of AZ Senate candidates, Mr. Brittain is a bit extreme. This was a DM someone posted today that he sent to them.

https://twitter.com/SenatorBrittain

One must not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.

#IngloriousBastard
#Wolverine

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Just to note, we may have more than one Arizona US Senate 2018 election. There's no telling how long John McCain will last with his glioblastoma.

On a very serious note--should I reregister as a Republican so I can cast my one primary vote for or against some candidate? To be perfectly honest, I think they're all awful politically, but Jeff Flake is personally a decent guy and he really did push for normalizing relations with Cuba during the Obama administration. It just annoys me that the GOP is all about burning everything down.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Perhaps this thread's title could be amended to include our "favorite" candidate, Arpaio?

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm

The Guardian
Joe Arpaio, pardoned racial profiler, to run for Arizona Senate seat ...

The populist, larger-than-life figure joins a crowded Republican field in the race to succeed vocal Trump critic Jeff Flake, who announced he would not seek re-election. The former sheriff has a complicated history with Flake. He is currently facing a malicious prosecution suit from Flake’s son, who alleges Arpaio prosecuted him for animal cruelty in an attempt to embarrass the Republican senator.

Currently, Kelli Ward, a former state senator who has been vocally backed by former White House aide Steve Bannon, is running for Flake’s seat and is expected to be joined by Martha McSally, a two-term congresswoman who was also the first woman to fly in combat. McSally is an establishment favorite who has won multiple tough races in her Tuscon-based swing district.

The winner of the Republican primary is likely to face Democratic congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema in the November general election.

The Senate race is expected to be one of the most competitive in 2018 and a must-win for Democrats if they are to have any chance of winning control of the Senate in the midterms.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 pm

I don't see a reason for changing the thread title for this a-hole, but knowing you, I could be missing something. What is it? :confused:
bob wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm
Perhaps this thread's title could be amended to include our "favorite" candidate, Arpaio?

¡Sterngard! come home.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Search functionality.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Scott Wong

Verified account

@scottwongDC
6m
6 minutes ago

More
I'm told @RepMcSally, nation's first woman to fly in combat, will launch her Senate bid on Friday by flying a WW2-era plane around state of Arizona #AZSEN

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Arizona Daily Star
Martha McSally likely to announce Senate run on Friday

It looks like Rep. Martha McSally has acquired a new political target — Jeff Flake's Senate seat.

Campaign staff for the Tucson Republican and former fighter pilot has set up a number of "special announcements" on Friday. It includes two that are outside of her Congressional District, one in Prescott and another in Phoenix.

A spokeswoman refused to discuss the announcement, but all signs point to the launch of her Senate campaign.

McSally has shied away from discussing her plans for the last two months, despite Rep. David Schweikert, a Republican colleague in Congressional District 6, telling reporters that the retired Air Force colonel said she was planning to enter the race.

¡Sterngard! come home.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

The winner of the Republican primary is likely to face Democratic congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema in the November general election.
For the newbs: Back when Sinema was a state senator, she battled against the various birther bills. And she was on RC's show, and wiped the floor with one the Georgia birther litigators (not named named Taitz).

bob

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Post by bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:03 pm

PNN PPS: Joe Arpaio Launches Senate Bid - Minutes Later Democrat Party Hits Panic Button!:
Clearly the issue of Obama's credentials, which [former] Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County claims is a total fabrication and has a "warehouse" full of evidence to prove it, is still a hot-button issue that seems to never go away. Today, the former Sheriff announced he is running for one of the upcoming Senate seat elections and within minutes the Democrat Party official email sender-outers launched a panicked response urging those on said email list to send in money to begin the fight! Yes, that's right, "Our work starts now" reads the email:
Earlier today, Joe Arpaio announced that he is running for Senate in Arizona.

You may remember Joe Arpaio for his human rights abuses as a sheriff in Arizona. Or perhaps you remember him from when he was convicted of a criminal offense related to his long history of racially profiling Latinos. Or you might remember when his friend Donald Trump pardoned him for his crime.

We stopped one bigot from getting elected in Alabama last year -- now we need to put just as much vigor behind stopping Arpaio. He should never be put in a position of power to discriminate against anyone ever again.

Our work starts now. Chip in $3 to fight back against Arpaio and other Republicans like him.
So, according to this email, Joe Arpaio was the catalyst which caused them to finally begin work? I'm probably making too much of the wording here but there really does seem to be the stench of fear in this one. Look out George Soros! The Sheriff's coming for you!

With Arpaio out of the way in Arizona the Democrats have an easier time of perpetuating the generational criminality which keeps their base alive - illegal immigrants and voter fraud. Hopefully the Trump machine will get behind the Arpaio bid. Stay tuned!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 pm

:rolleye:

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm

CNN: Sheriff Joe Arpaio on DACA: If Trump supports it, I will:
A former Arizona sheriff running for Senate -- who was once convicted for racially profiling Latinos -- said if President Donald Trump supported a bill allowing thousands of young undocumented immigrants to stay in the country, he would back the legislation as well.

"Well, first of all, if I was a senator now and the President really wanted this, I probably would back him up on it because I really do respect his judgment," Joe Arpaio, a Republican, told CNN's Kyung Lah. "I have a lot issues where I support the President."

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

sounds like he'd do a bang-up job of representing his constituents..

Not.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Arpaio is full on birfing on Chris Cuomo's CNN show. :brickwallsmall:

ETA: Here's the interview:

From "The Joe Show" here Arpaio laughs about milking birthers for cash:

Birther Joe.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm
Arpaio is full on birfing on Chris Cuomo's CNN show. :brickwallsmall:
Maddow's show is better, and easier on the digestion.

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm
Arpaio is full on birfing on Chris Cuomo's CNN show.
I'll wait for the breathless P&E recap.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Arpaio: Congress should examine presidential birth certificates

Former Maricopa County, Ariz. Sheriff Joe Arpaio resurfaced false claims on Wednesday that former President Barack Obama's birth certificate is a "forgery" and said Congress should pass a law requiring such documents to be examined.

"I'm going to tell you again that that document is a forgery document," Arpaio told WABC's Rita Cosby."And nobody will touch it."

"I wanted to get it to Congress so they can pass some type of law – regulation – that when somebody runs for president you ought to check their background, so this won't happen again," he added. "But I can't get anybody – anybody – to even look at it."

Arpaio announced on Tuesday that he will seek the Republican nomination in Arizona's 2018 Senate race. He told Cosby on Wednesday that he would raise the issue of Obama's birth certificate in Congress. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... rtificates

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Zullo lurves to play word games and say the digital image was forged.

Ole Joe went one further (and off-script) by saying the document itself was forged.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 am

I kind of want Arpaio to win just for the debating with Sinema. :popcorn:

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 am

The HIll: Poll: Arpaio statistically tied with McSally in GOP primary for Arizona Senate:
Former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio is in a statistical tie with Rep. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) in the Republican Senate primary in Arizona, according to a new poll.

The ABC15/OHPI poll shows 85-year-old Arpaio, who on Tuesday announced his plans to run for the Senate seat, has 29 percent support in the race.
McSally, 51, who is also expected to jump into the race soon but has not made a formal announcement, has 31 percent support, according to the poll.

Former state Sen. Kelli Ward, 48, has 25 percent support in the poll. The poll was conducted Tuesday among 504 likely Republican voters. Its margin of error is 4.36 percentage points.

McSally, who is expected to jump into the race soon, could stand to benefit from Ward and Arpaio's similar constituencies if the candidates split each other's votes.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 am

:towel: "His expertise" ... "Played the birther card"

Joe Arpaio Appears to Be Running for Senate Based Solely on His Expertise in Birth Certificate Forgeries :lol:
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, an Arizona Senate candidate, says he still believes former President Obama's birth certificate is a phony -- "No doubt about it"
JAN 10, 2018, 11:01 PM

On Tuesday, former Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio announced he was running for Senate in Arizona. Arpaio was pardoned by President Trump in August after the hard-line anti-immigration former mayor was convicted of criminal contempt for refusing to abide by a court order to stop racially profiling Latinos in the county during so-called immigration check points. On Wednesday, Arpaio during an interview with CNN on just his second day on the campaign trail dipped into his other bag of fringe-right tricks and—on day two—played the birther card, claiming the no-longer President Obama’s birth certificate is fake.

“We have the evidence. Nobody will talk about it. Nobody will look at it,” the Republican Senate candidate said of Obama’s birth certificate. “And anytime you want to come down, or anybody, we’ll be glad to show you the evidence. And by the way you’re going to hear more about this fake, phony birth certificate.” “So you believe that President Obama’s birth certificate is a phony? CNN host Chris Cuomo asked. “No doubt about it,” Arpaio answered. “I’m not going to go into all the details. It’s a phony document.”

That wasn’t Arpaio’s only media appearance where he made the false claim about Obama’s birth certificate. “I’m going to tell you again that that document is a forgery document,” Arpaio told WABC’s Rita Cosby. “And nobody will touch it.” But Arpaio wasn’t done. “I wanted to get it to Congress so they can pass some type of law—regulation—that when somebody runs for president you ought to check their background, so this won’t happen again,” he added during the radio interview. “But I can’t get anybody—anybody—to even look at it.” So now he’s running.

In the Arizona race to replace Sen. Jeff Flake, Arpaio is filling the Roy Moore role in the primary battle, costarring fellow populist candidate Kelli Ward, as he takes on GOP establishment-backed Rep. Martha McSally. A poll conducted on the day of his announcement shows Arpaio running neck-and-neck with McSally.

Don’t worry, the election’s only 10 months away.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eries.html

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 am

He's just trying to gin up his national base, so they'll send him all their Ameros.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 am

Run Joe, run!

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 am
:towel: "His expertise" ... "Played the birther card"

Joe Arpaio Appears to Be Running for Senate Based Solely on His Expertise in Birth Certificate Forgeries :lol:
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, an Arizona Senate candidate, says he still believes former President Obama's birth certificate is a phony -- "No doubt about it"
JAN 10, 2018, 11:01 PM

On Tuesday, former Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio announced he was running for Senate in Arizona. Arpaio was pardoned by President Trump in August after the hard-line anti-immigration former mayor was convicted of criminal contempt for refusing to abide by a court order to stop racially profiling Latinos in the county during so-called immigration check points. :snippity:
Don’t worry, the election’s only 10 months away.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eries.html
Uh, no.

Return to “U.S. Senate”