Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Brian Reilly

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018 - Arpaio

Post by Brian Reilly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:06 pm
Question: does the election districe for this Senate seat comprise more that Mariopa County, how many more informed voters are there outside of the former sheriffs supporter circle?
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/AZ

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Ariz. Rep.: Draft GOP resolution would flatter Joe Arpaio, then urge him to quit Senate race:
A draft Arizona Republican Party resolution would heap praise on former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's long career in law enforcement and GOP politics and then gently nudge him to exit this year's U.S. Senate race.

The resolution would express gratitude for Arpaio for serving as sheriff from 1993 to 2017 and acknowledge his "long and distinguished career in law enforcement" that predated his six terms in elected office.

It also would salute Arpaio for providing "endorsements and additional aid to other Republican candidates throughout his many years of service."

But it finishes this way:
WHEREAS two well qualified candidates, former state Senator Kelli Ward and U.S. Representative Martha McSally, are in the race for U.S. Senator for Arizona; THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Arizona Republican Party expresses its gratitude to Sheriff Arpaio for his many years of service, and respectfully urges him to exit the race for U.S. Senator from Arizona.
After being read the laudatory resolution over the telephone, Arpaio said he wondered why he was the one asked to drop out given "the great resume" it describes.

"I'm a fighter and I'm not going to bow out," Arpaio told The Republic. "I respect the nice words by whoever said this. They just made my case by including all my background. I want to thank them for giving my history. ... Why don't the other two drop out? Why me?"

The resolution could be brought up on the floor of Saturday's annual state GOP mandatory meeting . . . .

It's not clear if the resolution will clear [the necessary] threshold. The resolution also could be blocked because the state party doesn’t get involved in contested GOP primaries.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Run Joe run!

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Re: Arizona US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Roll Call: Some in Arizona GOP Trying to Nudge Arpaio Out of Senate Race

Would be ‘miracle’ if former sheriff beat Rep. Kyrsten Sinema in general election, GOP operative says

¡Qué vergüenza!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Senator Sinema has a wonderful ring to it. :lovestruck:

Remember when she filleted Mark Hatfield and his Birther bill on Reality Check Radio?

Go to page 26:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

She was on top of all that Hatfield bull hockey! :clap:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Axios: The 2018 Senate elections to keep an eye on

Arizona: With the highly unpopular Jeff Flake out of the race and Arizona only narrowly voting for Trump in 2016 (49%-45%), Democrats are hopeful that Rep. Krysten Sinema can take the seat. She's likely to face either Rep. Martha McSally or Kelli Ward, who will compete in the Republican primary. (Ward has recently been attempting to distance herself from Steve Bannon, who had been supporting her run.)

¡Qué vergüenza!

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:40 pm

PNT: Experts: No, Arpaio Can't Use Campaign Donations to Pay Off Legal Bills:
As soon as Joe Arpaio launched his campaign for Senate, skeptics immediately deemed it a "cash grab" intended to help the former sheriff pay off his legal bills.

But could he use campaign contributions to get rid of some of that debt?

"The answer is probably not," Lawrence Noble, senior director for the Campaign Legal Center, confirmed.

The Federal Election Commission bans candidates from spending campaign funds for their own personal use, Noble explains. Whether legal expenses are considered to be a personal use is determined on a case-by-case basis. In the past, the FEC has allowed campaign money to be spent on legal bills only in cases where, in the commission's words, "such expenses would not have occurred had the individual not been a candidate or officeholder."

In some cases, the FEC's website notes, candidates can use donations to pay up to 50 percent of legal bills that don't directly relate to their campaigns —"if the candidate or officeholder is required to provide substantive responses to the press regarding the allegations of wrongdoing."

That seems like a major loophole that Arpaio could potentially take advantage of, since there's no question that reporters will ask him about the millions of dollars that he's cost Maricopa County over the years due to his refusal to acknowledge this thing that we like to call "civil rights."

But if Arpaio were to try it, Barton argues, he'd have to disclose that information in his public FEC filings. And that would almost certainly lead to a complaint — which, for the record, is something anyone can file if they believe they've spotted a violation of federal campaign finance laws.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Gosh, that could lead to a complaint! I'm sure Joe would never want to do anything illegal!

:rotflmao:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Look who ran into Arpaio at the Arizona GOP annual meeting:

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm

MMA: Joe Arpaio promoted his GOP Senate candidacy with a publication that denies the Holocaust:
Arpaio has repeatedly given interviews to the anti-Semitic American Free Press

Racist and disgraced former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who is now running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican, recently gave an interview to a publication that’s pushed claims that the Holocaust is a “hoax” and 9/11 was a “Jewish” plot.

The American Free Press wrote in its January 29 & February 5 issue that Arpaio “spoke to AFP Jan. 21 in an exclusive interview about his recently announced bid” for Arizona’s Senate seat. During the interview with "roving editor" Mark Anderson, Arpaio promoted the viability of his candidacy and defended President Donald Trump’s agenda.

Civil rights groups have heavily criticized American Free Press over the years. The Anti-Defamation League described American Free Press as "an anti-Semitic conspiracy-oriented publication." The Southern Poverty Law Center stated that the outlet is "racist and anti-Semitic."

Arpaio has repeatedly given interviews to American Free Press, including when Trump pardoned him last year after Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt of court for deliberately violating a judge's order regarding his racial profiling of the Latino community.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s event in Spokane canceled after community backlash
Arpaio informally announced what he thought would be his March 10 appearance in Spokane by tweeting Sunday evening. Within 24 hours the event was canceled.

The nonprofit organization Gr8ter Veterans – which had organized the engagement – announced Monday evening it was canceling the event and ending all affiliation with Arpaio.

“We have decided that Sheriff Joe does not best reflect views of our organization,” said Nick Richardson, founder of the Gr8ter Veterans organization. “We do not want to divide the veterans’ community, the local community, or any community for that matter.”

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Tennessean: Former sheriff Joe Arpaio to hold 'driving liberals crazy' event in Nashville:
The former Arizona sheriff known for his controversial anti-immigration patrols plans to hold an event in Music City this spring.

On his Facebook and Twitter pages this week, Arpaio announced his March 31 event, "Driving Liberals Crazy," would take place at Limelight Event Center in Nashville.

A similar event planned for Spokane, Wash. in March was canceled this week after a veterans organization partnering with Arpaio for the event received backlash from the community, prompting the group to cut ties with the controversial politician, the Spokesman-Review reported.

Danny Atkins, organizer of both events, said the Nashville speaking engagement was originally going to partially benefit "Greater Veterans," the Spokane-based veterans group, but is now only a "for profit" event between his company, Market Trans Inc., and Arpaio, though not connected to Arpaio's U.S. Senate campaign.

Tickets are between $65 and $250, including a VIP option for lunch and meet-and-greet with Arpaio.

Regarding the "Driving Liberals Crazy" title at the top of the Nashville event flier and whether that would be a theme of Arpaio's speech, Atkins said it was "meant to be more funny than anything."

"It's just a little jingle that we thought was cute, and again, I hope it doesn’t get misconstrued and blowed out of proportion" Atkins said. "It's just meant to bring a smile to one’s face."

He said Arpaio would likely talk about his pardon and his "amazing story."

When asked whether he was worried about his event in Nashville also being canceled by organizers, Atkins, an Alabama businessman, indicated he believed Music City would be more open to Arpaio's message.

"I'd be lying if I didn’t say I was a little concerned about it, but I'm hoping the same kind of backlash doesn’t hit Nashville," Atkins said. "We're a little more conservative down south here. It think the people of Spokane overacted. It's not as controversial as they would have everyone believe."

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm
Tennessean: Former sheriff Joe Arpaio to hold 'driving liberals crazy' event in Nashville:
The former Arizona sheriff known for his controversial anti-immigration patrols plans to hold an event in Music City this spring.

On his Facebook and Twitter pages this week, Arpaio announced his March 31 event, "Driving Liberals Crazy," would take place at Limelight Event Center in Nashville.

A similar event planned for Spokane, Wash. in March was canceled this week after a veterans organization partnering with Arpaio for the event received backlash from the community, prompting the group to cut ties with the controversial politician, the Spokesman-Review reported.

Danny Atkins, organizer of both events, said the Nashville speaking engagement was originally going to partially benefit "Greater Veterans," the Spokane-based veterans group, but is now only a "for profit" event between his company, Market Trans Inc., and Arpaio, though not connected to Arpaio's U.S. Senate campaign.

Tickets are between $65 and $250, including a VIP option for lunch and meet-and-greet with Arpaio.

Regarding the "Driving Liberals Crazy" title at the top of the Nashville event flier and whether that would be a theme of Arpaio's speech, Atkins said it was "meant to be more funny than anything."

"It's just a little jingle that we thought was cute, and again, I hope it doesn’t get misconstrued and blowed out of proportion" Atkins said. "It's just meant to bring a smile to one’s face."

He said Arpaio would likely talk about his pardon and his "amazing story."

When asked whether he was worried about his event in Nashville also being canceled by organizers, Atkins, an Alabama businessman, indicated he believed Music City would be more open to Arpaio's message.

"I'd be lying if I didn’t say I was a little concerned about it, but I'm hoping the same kind of backlash doesn’t hit Nashville," Atkins said. "We're a little more conservative down south here. It think the people of Spokane overacted. It's not as controversial as they would have everyone believe."
It would be funny if liberals just completely ignore this event if it does take place. That would drive HIM crazy.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pm

N.Y. Daily News: Trump-boosting ex-Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio declined to criticize anti-Semitic outlet after giving several interviews:
Trump-boosting Arizona Senate candidate Joe Arpaio, who was pardoned by the President last year after being convicted of contempt of court, refused Thursday to rebuke an anti-Semitic outlet that he has given several interviews to.

"I'm not going to criticize the news media like you," Arpaio told the reporter. "I can't believe another news outlet is criticizing a newspaper."

Asked about the Tuesday story, Arpaio told the Arizona Republic that he bets "it was a good interview."

"He's written some good stories, especially on my situation," Arpaio said of the story's author, "roving editor" Mark Anderson. "I think he wrote one a little while back that was very honest. I can't say that for other publications."

Arpaio said he talks to "all media."

"What am I supposed to do? Investigate every media outlet to see what stories they write?" he added.
The irony of this full-throated support of the press by Arpaio, who has literally jailed reporters for writing unflattering things.

I guess somebody in Arpaio's campaign finally slapped him across the head:
Amid outrage, Arpaio finally distanced himself from the [anti-Semitic] outlet Thursday afternoon.

"It was brought to my attention I gave interview to publication that supports antisemitism," he tweeted. "I was unaware and don't support that view point."

bob

Post by bob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am

Politico:
Is Joe Arpaio the Next Roy Moore?
:
He’s got money, charisma and a presidential pardon. Now he thinks—and local Republicans fear—he can win the GOP Senate primary in Arizona.

Then, just a few weeks ago, Arpaio announced he would run for Jeff Flake’s open Senate seat, much to the chagrin of some members of his own party. Plenty of Arizona Republicans—operatives, activists and state party officials—fear a past-his-prime Arpaio will alienate Democrats and independents and moderate Republicans, even if he loses the primary. Already this month, he's discussed his Senate bid with an anti-Semitic outlet founded by a Holocaust denier, and stoked a discredited conspiracy theory about former President Barack Obama's birth certificate on CNN. When he was sheriff, he referred to his jail as a “concentration camp,” and through the years his office paid out tens of millions of dollars in wrongful death settlements, including for inmates who were strapped to restraint chairs and brutalized by guards.

“It’s a stain on the party,” said Tyler Montague, a Mesa banker who heads the Public Integrity Alliance, a 501(c)(4) that mostly backs Republican candidates. “It brings the whole party down to clownville.” Should Arpaio manage to win the primary, these same party activists suspect he would get crushed in November.

Paul Marchant, a local party chairman, is one of these Republicans. The week before the state convention, he helped circulate a resolution that called on Arpaio to withdraw from the race.

“This is the guy,” an Arpaio supporter in the Church for the Nations lobby informed the ex-sheriff, who now stood face to face with Marchant, a middle-aged man with a salt and pepper goatee.

“You?!” Arpaio looked at Marchant. “You want me to retire?”

“Yes!” Marchant said. “We have two great candidates," a reference to Kelli Ward, a Tea Party favorite, and Martha McSally, a member of Congress and Mitch McConnell’s preferred candidate.

Arpaio looked wounded. “Age discrimination,” he said.

He has plenty to say about his conviction. He wanted a jury trial, he says, and didn’t get one. “No one even knows what a contempt of court charge is!” On his election defeat, he correctly notes that George Soros spent $2 million to beat him. Still, he says he feels no urge for vindication. “I don’t like to think about that word: legacy,” he told me. “My legacy is the day I die, they forget how to spell your name.”

He later posed for a picture with Stephen Lemons, a former journalist with the Phoenix New Times who spent years haranguing Arpaio. Lemons feigned a boxing stance and Arpaio gave a thumbs-up. “Once I get in a room with my worst enemy, I’m pretty good,” Arpaio told me. “That’s a trait that Trump and I have.”

With Arpaio and Ward splitting the Tea Party vote right now, McSally has emerged as the race’s favorite. A recent poll of likely voters has McSally at 31 percent, followed by Arpaio at 22, and Ward at 19. “It’s the silver lining,” Montague, the Public Integrity Alliance president, told me. “Maybe, in the end, Arpaio actually helps get the party’s most viable candidate to the general.” Still, a theoretical Trump endorsement catapulted Arpaio to 35 percent in the same poll, though Arpaio doesn’t see a presidential endorsement coming. “I think it’s smart for him to wait it out,” he says.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Wash. Ex.: Sheriff Joe Arpaio quotes Eminem in latest fundraising email:
Controversial former Arizona sheriff and U.S. Senate candidate Joe Arpaio quoted rap star Eminem in his latest fundraising email this week.

The email pulls a quote from Eminem’s hit song “Lose Yourself,” the lead single from the soundtrack of the 2002 film “8 Mile” that was based primarily on Eminem’s upbringing in Detroit.

“To quote and paraphrase the singer, Eminem,” the email reads. “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance. … This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.”
If only Arpaio had been limited to one shot.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

Salon: The Arizona senate race may be the year’s wildest

There’s a slew of candidates, and it’s anybody’s guess who will win

¡Qué vergüenza!

bob

Post by bob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Hot Air: Report: Trump won’t endorse Joe Arpaio or Kelli Ward in Arizona GOP Senate primary:
Remember, there are three candidates jockeying for position. First is Rep. Martha McSally, the fighter pilot turned congresswoman who’s the establishment pick for the nomination. There’s Kelli Ward, the populist backed by Steve Bannon who was cruising towards a primary upset of Jeff Flake until Flake retired, opening the door for McSally. And there’s latecomer Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the hyper-populist border hawk who’s seeking his first Senate term at age 85. Typically there are two lanes in a contested Republican primary, the moderate and the populist, but Arpaio’s surprising decision to jump in and get to Ward’s right means she’s momentarily left without a lane. Her best play may be to ride the dividing line, positioning herself as less establishment than McSally but less fringey/more electable than Arpaio. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right.

Unless, that is, she’s able to land POTUS’s endorsement. In a field divided three ways, Trump’s support might be decisive. He could certainly play kingmaker between Ward and Arpaio by supporting one of them over the other. His favored candidate would probably quickly consolidate populist support, all but ending the other populist candidate’s hopes. And with only one populist in the field instead of two, McSally would suddenly be in a lot of trouble. She can win a three-way race if Ward and Arpaio split the right-wing vote, but if the right isn’t split, and if Trump has jumped in to support its preferred candidate, McSally may be sunk. All that’s standing between the GOP and Joe Arpaio, Senate nominee, is Trump holding off on an endorsement.

If you believe the [NYT]’s sources, he might indeed hold off. Indefinitely.
Ms. McSally has been helped by an aggressive backstage effort from Republican officials in and out of the White House to keep the president from backing Mr. Arpaio or Ms. Ward. Before she entered the race, Ms. McSally won assurances from an intermediary that Mr. Trump would not endorse her rivals, according to a Republican directly familiar with the conversation, and she and her advisers met last week in the White House with the president’s political team, an opportunity not afforded the other candidates.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 am

So they are fighting over the Trump kiss O'death.

Anyway, Trums assurances though an intermediary aren't worth the air they were lied on.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 am
Anyway, Trums assurances though an intermediary aren't worth the air they were lied on.
Esp after the Moore stuff and how grumpy he got about being told who to endorse and who not to.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 am
So they are fighting over the Trump kiss O'death.

Trumps assurances from his own mouth are worthless.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

bob

Post by bob » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Jewish News: Jewish leaders troubled by Arpaio’s interviews with anti-Semitic magazine:
Former Maricopa County sheriff and current Republican primary candidate for the U.S. Senate Joe Arpaio has acknowledged that he has given interviews to the American Free Press, which the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has called anti-Semitic.

The response from the Valley’s Jewish community has been swift.

“The widely known anti-Semitic bias of the American Free Press ought to be sufficient reason for anyone not to associate themselves with it,” said a statement from Karolyn Benger, executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council. “Public figures should exercise care to avoid letting their own credibility legitimize such a publication.”

According to the Arizona Republic, Arpaio has declined to publicly criticize the American Free Press and its extremist articles. Arpaio has not returned JN’s request for comment.
So Arpaio can make the time to repeatedly chat with the anti-Semitic AFP, but can't be bothered to talk to the Jewish News.

Profile in courage, that Arpaio.

Return to “U.S. Senate”