Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

bob

Re: Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

Post by bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm
I now wonder if anyone can use this information about Moore to challenge the validity of any of his judgments or vote to make a majority opinion while on the State Supreme Court.
I am pretty sure the answer to that is "No."
I am very sure the answer to the birther-esque question is "no."

("For fun": What, a "motion for reconsideration because one of the justices was an alleged pedophile"? Even if true, how does that explain the remaining justices' votes?)

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm
I'd think expert witness testimony and a ruling by a judge would be two different things. One can be challenged, the other...not so much.
Wait a minute, are not rulings sent back to the court when errors are found in the rulings? Does not the SCOTUS override verdicts and send back to court for retrials because of bad rulings or misinterpretation of the law all the time? Now I'm confused.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 am
I wouldn't go there (the girls thing) without proof. I have no idea of what age the average comfort girl was. As for the fragging thing, that might be a figment of his imagination. In what appeared to be a non-eventful tour in 'Nam, he may have said that to embellish the dangers he wanted others to think he was exposed to.
Being a target for a fragging was certainly nothing to boast about. It tells the world that you were such a horrible leader, your own men turned on you and wanted to kill you.

Children have been routinely prostituted in third world countries and in war zones. Had Moore screwed underage kids while serving, he by no means would've been unique in that practice.

By all accounts, practically everyone who's had contact with Moore over the years found him to be a horrible human being. Were it not for his family and their social position + money, he'd never have had a chance at a professional career, much less get away with harassing the local girls over the decades. Think about that: everyone knew what he was like, everyone knew he was a menace to their daughters, but nobody went after him for it. They all looked away and covered for him. Will those people suddenly turn on him now? After all, he's no different now than what he's always been.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm
I'd think expert witness testimony and a ruling by a judge would be two different things. One can be challenged, the other...not so much.
Wait a minute, are not rulings sent back to the court when errors are found in the rulings? Does not the SCOTUS override verdicts and send back to court for retrials because of bad rulings or misinterpretation of the law all the time? Now I'm confused.
IANAL but I think that happens after an appeal to a different court. They'd have to have actual legal reasons to file (and win) an appeal, and I don't think "he's a kiddy toucher so we can't trust him" is a legal basis for an appeal.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Does not the SCOTUS override verdicts and send back to court for retrials because of bad rulings or misinterpretation of the law all the time?
Not "all the time," but yes -- when a court makes a mistake. A pervy judge isn't a legal mistake in a court's ruling; more will have to be shown.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm
I now wonder if anyone can use this information about Moore to challenge the validity of any of his judgments or vote to make a majority opinion while on the State Supreme Court.
I am pretty sure the answer to that is "No."
I am very sure the answer to the birther-esque question is "no."

("For fun": What, a "motion for reconsideration because one of the justices was an alleged pedophile"? Even if true, how does that explain the remaining justices' votes?)
:winner:

It's not a totally unreasonable thing for someone without a legal background to wonder, though.

The short answer is that the law doesn't require or expect judges to live sinless lives. To have even a hint of a hope of a possibility of a chance of a challenge, it's necessary to show a direct connection between the judge's misconduct and a decision which is also legally wrong. "The judge might have been more likely to disagree with X reasonable interpretation of the law in favor of Y reasonable interpretation of the law," isn't going to be enough to make that case. And since any Supreme Court decision that has a closely divided panel is almost certain to involve a choice between conflicting but reasonable interpretations of the law, that would basically cover any decision in which Moore would have been the deciding vote in a case while he was on the AL Supreme Court.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Some days I hate the Onion for being too perceptive: Roy Moore On Pedophilia Accusers: ‘These Women Are Only Discrediting Me Now Because Shifting Sociocultural Norms Have Created An Environment In Which Assault Allegations Are Taken Seriously’:
Waving off the current allegations against him as vicious attempts to sabotage his election bid, Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore told reporters Monday that the women accusing him of pedophilia were only doing so now because “shifting sociocultural norms have created an environment in which assault allegations are taken seriously.” “These women have had 30 years to come forward, and the one and only reason they’re speaking out now is because they suddenly have less fear that their lives will be utterly destroyed,” said Moore, adding that the women accusing him of sexually pursuing them as teenagers were just several of many “jumping on the sexual assault bandwagon these days” in light of meaningful systemic change and the fact that society would no longer immediately discredit them. “My accusers are nothing but slandering opportunists taking advantage of the deteriorating influence of the patriarchy that has traditionally silenced any woman who makes such claims. If the American public at large had not finally begun truly hearing victims and decided that enough was enough, I guarantee that these women would never have had the audacity to accuse me of such heinous crimes.” Moore went on to say that he would nevertheless continue his run for the Senate despite the charges against him because while the norms had shifted, they had not shifted nearly as much in Alabama.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36034 ... llegations
Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh on Tuesday criticized Republicans for distancing themselves from Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore, while saying that Moore was a Democrat at the time he allegedly engaged in sexual misconduct with teenage girls.

“Did you know that before 1992, when a lot of this was going on, that Judge Moore was a Democrat?” Limbaugh said on his radio show. “Nobody said a word.”

“When he supposedly was attracted to inappropriately-aged girls — he was a Democrat,” Limbaugh added.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Rush says it's all ADDISON'S fault! :lol: 8-)
Limbaugh: ‘Search-and-Destroy Mission’ Against Roy Moore Is Really About Mitch McConnell Sending Steve Bannon a Message
by JEFF POOR 14 Nov 2017 5,837

Tuesday on his nationally syndicated radio show, conservative talker Rush Limbaugh said the recent sexual misconduct allegations aimed at former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore had been inspired by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who had backed Moore’s former opponent Sen. Luther Strange (R-AL) in the earlier primary contests.

Limbaugh explained how it was his opinion those charges were meant to send a message to former Donald Trump chief strategist and Breitbart chief executive Steve Bannon, who has publicly said he seeks to take on all Republicans that back McConnell as Senate Majority Leader.

“Whether Judge Moore did the deed or deeds or not, what’s really happening here folks, if you really want to know – it’s a multi-faceted search-and-destroy mission here,” Limbaugh said. “But what’s really driving this – do not doubt me about this. But what’s really driving this is Mitch McConnell saying to Steve Bannon, ‘Really? You think you’re going to get your guys elected? You think you are going to get your guys elected and me kicked out of here? Really? Seriously? OK, watch this.’”

“Don’t forget, Judge Moore is – Trump did not endorse him, but Steve Bannon, I don’t know – endorsed, chose, go behind, supports, what have you,” he continued. “And Bannon has been very upfront about the objective he has, and that’s to get Mitch McConnell out of the Senate. And so I don’t think – even if all we had was one allegation against Judge Moore, this was going to be it for Judge Moore. It didn’t matter because this is now being used to send a message to Bannon and his group that you just – you think you’re going to get rid of me, well take a look at what’s going to happen every time you try. So that clearly is a factor here.”

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Moore has an almost magical tone-deaf sensitivity that enables him to get into hotter and hotter hot water.

The latest is that it's only a current fad that we take sexual misbehavior seriously. Evidently in the good old days this was considered unimportant.

Also the suggestion that Mitch McConnell is somehow behind this effort to stop his campaign; evidently Ol' Mitch has a time machine and went back four decades to lure Moore with teenager girls. I wish Mitch might do the same for me - forty years ago my sex life was one big empty.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:13 pm

What really makes me cringe about this whole thing is that as a small town prosecutor he didn't just have the courthouse hallways, local restaurants, and mall to prowl. The police and juvenile office were delivering vulnerable young crime and abuse victims to him on a fairly regular basis. I can't imagine for a second that he didn't pull his crap with them too.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am
stoppingby wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 am
Chilidog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 am

That brings up an interesting point.

Moore was a graduate of West Point. He was an officer in Vietnam (a commander of an MP battalion).

No, he was not in combat, but since his own men tried to frag him, I suppose maybe he was a little PTSD.

He left the Army as soon as his five years service commitment was up and went to law school.

His time in the mall followed that.

There is something quite "off" about his history. I suspect that he was sexually immature and inexperienced.
I just had a horrible thought - do we know why his own men tried to frag him? It makes me wonder if they knew something about his behaviors with underaged vietnamese girls. If he was this bold in the U.S., it makes me wonder what he was doing while amongst a population that must have felt to be at mercy, at times, of the US military.
From what I gather it was because he went around punishing soldiers for trivial infractions and being an overall asshole.
That would make more sense. Still, it creeps me out to think how much time this man has spent in positions of power and influence.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:13 pm
What really makes me cringe about this whole thing is that as a small town prosecutor he didn't just have the courthouse hallways, local restaurants, and mall to prowl. The police and juvenile office were delivering vulnerable young crime and abuse victims to him on a fairly regular basis. I can't imagine for a second that he didn't pull his crap with them too.
Remember Mike Arnold in Oregon? One of Bundy's lawyers? Here's what the Oregon State Bar said he did concerning an underage female DUI victim he had prosecuted:
C. MICHAEL ARNOLD
OSB #011873
Eugene
Reprimand

On Jan. 17, 2008, the disciplinary board approved a stipulation for discipline reprimanding Eugene lawyer C. Michael Arnold for violating RPC 8.4(a)(2) (commit a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer’s honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects).

Arnold was the prosecutor for the City of Florence at a hearing in which a minor [pleaded] guilty to driving under the influence of intoxicants and entered into a diversion agreement. Arnold subsequently contacted the minor, ostensibly for the purpose of checking up on her, and suggested that they meet. Arnold drove the minor to a restaurant and purchased two glasses of wine for her in violation of ORS 471.410(2), which prohibits anyone, other than a parent or guardian, from selling, giving or otherwise making available any alcoholic liquor to a person under the age of 21.
I'm sure Mike's law partner-wife was thrilled. And I bet today he'd get a lot more than a reprimand.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 am
Off Topic
we need a meditating Buddha emoji.)
:yeah:

Yes, we do, TRL. Maybe if we* aum loudly enough Foggy will feel the vibrations and find one. :bighug:

* Baldy/David, you in?
Off Topic
Kate,

I done told you to be careful about who you invoke -- this time it's not Baldy (who will note the preview of the NCAA Championship Game at 7pm tonight between #1 D-U-K-E and the #2 Spartans (SPARTANS WILL) -- my blood runs green [possibly due to Vulcan ancestry or my 4 parents who graduated from MSU*] but my heart is true blue), but David. Who likes to give serious and thoughtful answers even to the questions weren't intended that way.

* My biological mother graduated from Oakland University, which was a part of MSU when she started, and got her law degree from Detroit College of Law, which was later bought by MSU when they decided they wanted a law school. So I say that counts. As George Carlin said,
(quoting Jefferson), "These are my rules, I make them up.". [Yes :sterngard: , I did that on purpose just for you. Ain't I a stinker? :towel: ]

There is no need for a meditating Buddha emoji because here, in the latter day of the law*, meditation is neither the proper action of the Buddha nor is it the path to Buddhahood. The symbolism of a meditating Buddha (in this context) is that you are trying to purify yourself to get rid of the stink of bad karma -- an image that is the opposite of what I believe Buddhism to be. As a member of Soka Gakkai International (literally "Value Creation Society"), we believe that the job of a Buddhist is to transform bad karma -- turn poison into medicine -- not simply distance ourselves from it.

* This is simply the name my Buddhist sect gives to the age we are living in. I past ages, such as the time of Shakyamuni (or Siddhartha, if you prefer), it was possible to become a Buddha through study and meditation. We believe this is no longer the case -- now one strives to become a Buddha by acting like one. We call these people (Buddhist or not) "Bodhisattvas of the Earth".

Why did I let this out of the "Off Topic" box? Because this is also a reply to the comments by someone upthread (who is not and never has been Great Grey, but may, in fact, be DejaMoo) and very relevant to the discussion going on here about how the Alabama voters are so bad that... well, you've all read the thread.

From the SGI website on Bodhisattva Never Disparaging:

The human heart is capable of both great nobility and violent brutality. The ability to direct the orientation of our heart is one of the characteristics that distinguish us from other animals.

One sees examples of the noble possibilities of the human spirit in such everyday instances as the willingness of a parent to sacrifice personal comfort for the sake of a child, or in a sudden act of kindness between strangers: an unselfish impulse and effort for the happiness of others. Yet the same heart can seethe with the dark currents of rage, bigotry, resentment and self-deprecation. To understand the horrific extent of these impulses within us, one has only to examine the experiences of ordinary people caught up in the all-too-pervasive hell of war.

It is the simple orientation of our hearts that ultimately determines whether we create societies characterized by joy and dignity or crippled by conflict, fear and despair.

Buddhism analyzes the dual potentialities of life in the following way: it teaches that all people without exception possess an enlightened Buddha nature that gives rise to limitless positive potential and which can bring wonder to our experience of living. An equally fundamental reality in the life of each person, however, is delusion or ignorance, which gives rise to evil. It is delusion, in fact, that makes it difficult for people to acknowledge their own capacity for either profound virtue or evil.

How do we direct life toward its positive, value-creating potentials? This is a question that should be at the core of religion and ethics.
Sekrit Stuffs!
The Lotus Sutra, which Nichiren Buddhism regards as the teaching that encapsulates the essence of the Buddha’s enlightenment, offers an apparently simple response. This is conveyed in the story of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging.

Never Disparaging (Jpn. Fukyo) is described as having lived in the remote past. It was his practice to bow in reverence to everyone he met and praise that person’s inherent Buddha nature. This, however, only provoked violence and abuse in return. Never Disparaging’s assertions no doubt challenged people’s deeply held negative assumptions about the nature of life. Their reactions, however, never managed to upset his convictions. He would simply retreat to a safe distance and repeat his obeisance, honoring the potential for good within his persecutors. Over time, as a result of these actions, Never Disparaging’s humanity comes to shine to the extent that those who had despised him are moved to become his disciples and thus enter the path of attaining Buddhahood themselves.

The sutra describes how, after relating this story, Shakyamuni Buddha reveals that Never Disparaging was he himself in a previous existence. There is a clear implication that his past-life behavior as Never Disparaging is the original cause for Shakyamuni’s enlightenment.

Nichiren clarifies that respecting others, as exemplified by the actions of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging, constitutes the essence of Buddhist practice and the correct way for human beings to behave.

Nichiren writes, “The heart of the Buddha’s lifetime of teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the ‘Never Disparaging’ chapter. What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging’s profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being.”

While Buddhism is often regarded as a very abstract philosophy, in practice, it is far from abstract. The Buddha nature is not described in theoretical terms but in the behavior of this humble bodhisattva. A Buddha is not an extraordinary being but a person who is deeply conscious of the positive potential within him-or herself and within all others, and who strives to help others bring forth this potential.

Nichiren clarifies that respecting others, as exemplified by the actions of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging, constitutes the essence of Buddhist practice and the correct way for human beings to behave. Such respect is not limited to a passive regard for others; it is a bold engagement of our humanity.

While simple in its formulation, in practice such an attitude represents the most challenging path. The effort required, however, is precisely that fundamental energy that can bring about the positive transformation of society. As SGI President Ikeda writes, “The key to the flowering of humanity of which Buddhism speaks is steadfast belief in people’s goodness and dedication to cultivating this goodness in oneself and others.”
Now, right or wrong, I truly believe this shit, but I think that Buddhism is, at its core, a practical religion -- it's about what you do, not what you believe. And, in the words of Thomas Jefferson, "respecting others, as exemplified by the actions of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging, constitutes the essence of Buddhist practice and the correct way for human beings to behave".

Jefferson also (too) said, "While Buddhism is often regarded as a very abstract philosophy, in practice, it is far from abstract. The Buddha nature is not described in theoretical terms but in the behavior of this humble bodhisattva. A Buddha is not an extraordinary being but a person who is deeply conscious of the positive potential within him-or herself and within all others, and who strives to help others bring forth this potential."

Now, it's all very well and good to say this amongst our little group, but the test of what we truly believe comes when we talk about people from Alabama, Roy Moore, or even President Trump. I can't think of a single helpful thing gained by slandering the Buddha nature of any of them, but I do see how it poisons dialogue with "those" people and eliminates any possibility of helping them achieve the potential within themselves -- which is the same as the potential inside of you.

What's worse is that it only serves to reinforce the effects of the very propaganda that convinced people that Democrats are worse than child molesters.

I've said before that the Democrats are playing tic-tac-toe (and think they are playing 12-dimensional chess) while the Republicans are playing Calvinball. What I mean by this is that the Democrats are trying to win according to the rules that the Republicans have shown them while ignoring the Republicans making up new rules all the time. In other words, Democrats can't win by trying to be better at the game than the Republicans -- they've got a fucking warp drive on their goalposts. Instead they should be making up (and working to enact) new rules that favor responsibility, integrity, fairness, and competence and then demonstrating those traits. That's how you rebuild the faith in the system (and the infrastructure that supports it) and oppose the people who are trying to tear it down, like Roy Moore or the Trump administration.

I think that how we talk about these things amongst ourselves influences how we talk about them to others, and when we go beyond describing bad actions as bad (like creepy encounters with 14-year olds when you're in your 30s) and start slandering the Buddha nature of others we are closing off the possibility of dialogue and diminishing ourselves.

If you'd like a concrete example, take Foggy's recent Twitter exchange with Mark Small. Now, nothing Foggy said was untrue (although some of it, like the death threats thing, was essentially lying by telling the truth in a way it wont be believed -- a particularly effective form of lying, in my opinion), but it also made it clear to Mr. Small, from his point of view, that he would have no expectation of being treated fairly on the Fogbow. Whereas if everyone had taken the approach of Never Disparaging, he might have been comfortable enough to show up here and be led to the legal merits of the issue in a polite and scholarly discussion.

If you are truly confident about the merits of your arguments -- and in the case of Roy Moore you certainly should be -- why on Earth would you want to make even justified ad hominem attacks? Doing so only weakens your credibility and perceived integrity. With the quality and quantity of right wing (and Russian) propaganda out there, opening yourself up to the appearance of being on a partisan witch hunt does the Republicans' work for them with the people who are not politically engaged and do not follow the news cycle closely. As with an official in a sporting event seeing the retaliation, not the offense, quite often what the very people who most amenable to persuasion see is the kind of vitriol and ad hominem attacks that are characteristic of the hyper-partisan rancor that most voters are long past sick of.

In any case, I think that following the example of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging is both the right way to behave as well as the course of action most likely to realize the goals I (and all of you) believe to be important. The more people talking about Roy Moore act like adults, the less acceptable his actions and reactions to them will seem in comparison. At least that's my opinion.

So I humbly bow to the Buddha nature I can see shining inside of all of you and do what I can to try to help you realize that potential and will continue to say what I believe to be true and encourage everyone I meet to try to become the best possible version of themselves -- which is how I view Buddhahood.
Off Topic
Kate,

Meditation is, of course, salubrious for the mind and spirit and an important part of helping others is taking care of yourself, so I certainly don't see meditation as bad in any way, but I don't believe that it is a necessary element of Buddhism. So, Kate, instead of asking our Soup-ream Richard Tater for an emoji that doesn't really symbolize the practice of Buddhism as I believe in it, I'm going to chant for the Fogbow to collectively realize its potential. And then I'm going work harder and smarter than Putin trying to get his dupe elected to make it happen. Would you like to join me?

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 pm

then there is this:
http://wkrg.com/2017/11/14/curious-robo ... -on-moore/
Another development involving the U.S. Senate race in Alabama. At least one person in our viewing area received a robocall seeking more damaging information about Roy Moore. Here is the text of that voicemail message received by Pastor Al Moore in Creola.
“Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein, I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5000 and $7000 dollars. We will not be fully investigating these claims however we will make a written report. I can be reached by email at albernstein@washingtonpost.com, thank you.”
and, "Bernie Bernstein" is trending hilariously on twitter: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... 2&src=tren

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm

“Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein, I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5000 and $7000 dollars.
I was looking to make a joke, and as usual someone on Twitter was faster and funnier:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 pm
then there is this:
http://wkrg.com/2017/11/14/curious-robo ... -on-moore/
Another development involving the U.S. Senate race in Alabama. At least one person in our viewing area received a robocall seeking more damaging information about Roy Moore. Here is the text of that voicemail message received by Pastor Al Moore in Creola.
“Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein, I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5000 and $7000 dollars. We will not be fully investigating these claims however we will make a written report. I can be reached by email at albernstein@washingtonpost.com, thank you.”
and, "Bernie Bernstein" is trending hilariously on twitter: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... 2&src=tren
Was JewyMcJewface taken?

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am
DON'T HIT ON ME.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am
This is so good I can't even pick quotes from it.
Just go read it. It's not very long.
https://first-draft.com/2017/11/12/if-i ... daughters/
That is truly sad, and truly true.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I think the Roy Moore campaign was afraid its low information voters would think Jewy McJewstein was Scottish.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

The Hill
McConnell: Moore will face Senate ethics probe if he wins election

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is warning that Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore will immediately face a probe by the Senate Ethics Committee if he wins the special election next month.

“It would be a rather unusual beginning,” McConnell told The Wall Street Journal at a CEO Council event on Tuesday. “I’d like to save the seat, and it’s a heck of a dilemma when you’ve got a completely unacceptable candidate bearing the label of your party within a month of the election.”

McConnell said that as part of an investigation Moore would be asked to testify under oath, the WSJ reported.

An Ethics Committee investigation could pave the way for the Senate to try to expel Moore, though McConnell hasn't publicly backed that option.

The Senate last expelled a member in 1862. McConnell oversaw the Senate's ethics panel when then-Sen. Bob Packwood (R-Ore.) resigned in 1995 amid sexual harassment allegations and under the threat of expulsion.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:14 pm

If McConnell is trying to scare or bluff Moore into quitting it isn't working. And it's backing The Turtle of the SenateTM into a corner.

Please proceed, Senator.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm

And Kayla threatens to sue...
12D1EA3F-5F2E-4E59-AB6F-2F060B7DA74C.jpeg
79CB0D98-DA82-4563-A289-57F0F631B74E.jpeg
35FD7FB7-F6B7-4EF3-A321-6D1F6C3B9B3C.jpeg
87012A26-66F6-49AB-9B6B-507BCEDD0C67.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Oh, I'm so drafting a reply to this as soon as I get another Scotch.
Edit: Anyone feel like doing letterhead? Or should I just go look for some Dewey, Cheatem stock online?

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Trenton is such a tool. With Don Lemon he was going for WaPo looks like he went for AL.com instead. Trenton is about 4 minutes in, it's one of the craziest interviews of the year.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Return to “U.S. Senate”