Maine 2 CD 2018

Addie

Re: Maine 2 CD 2018 - (D) Win

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 am

Bangor Daily News
Poliquin asks judge to order new election if he’s not declared winner in 2nd District race

Attorneys for U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin late Tuesday asked a federal judge to order a new election in the 2nd Congressional District if he does not grant an injunction declaring ranked-choice voting unconstitutional and Poliquin the winner.

The new election was requested in a first amended complaint filed about 10 p.m. in U.S. District Court in Bangor, a day after Poliquin asked the Maine secretary of state for a hand recount of votes in the Nov. 6 midterm election.

Responses to the motion for a preliminary injunction that was filed with Poliquin’s original complaint on Nov. 13 are due at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

The request for a new election if the injunction is denied is one of the only major differences in the complaints.

U.S. District Judge Lance Walker will hold a hearing on the motion for the injunction at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5 in Bangor. He is poised to make a decision before the Dec. 14 deadline when election results must arrive at the U.S. House of Representatives.

Democrat Jared Golden won the election in Maine’s 2nd District with 50.53 percent of the vote to Republican Poliquin’s 49.47 percent. Secretary of State Matt Dunlap announced the final count about 12:30 p.m. Nov. 15, two hours after Walker denied Poliquin’s motion for a temporary restraining order to stop the tabulation of ballots.

RVInit

Re: Maine 2 CD 2018

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 pm

:rotflmao:

on second thought... :roll:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 am

Portland Press Herald
Federal judge rejects Poliquin’s constitutional challenge of ranked-choice voting

U.S. District Court Judge Lance Walker said the U.S. Constitution gives states considerable flexibility in holding elections. ...

U.S. District Court Judge Lance Walker ruled that, contrary to the arguments of Poliquin’s legal team, the U.S. Constitution does not require that congressional elections be decided by “a plurality” of votes. Instead, Walker wrote that the Constitution grants states discretion to decide how to run elections, including whether to require the type of runoff elections triggered by Maine’s ranked-choice voting law.

“To the extent that the Plaintiffs call into question the wisdom of using RCV, they are free to do so but for the reasons that I have indicated previously and upon which I elaborate presently, such criticism falls short of constitutional impropriety,” Walker wrote. “A majority of Maine voters have rejected that criticism and Article I (of the U.S. Constitution) does not empower this Court to second guess the considered judgment of the polity on the basis of the tautological observation that RCV may suffer from problems, as all voting systems do.” ...

Democratic challenger Jared Golden emerged the victor in Maine’s 2nd Congressional District race last month, defeating the two-term Republican by roughly 3,500 votes following a tabulation of voters’ ranked-choice ballots. Maine law required the ranked-choice runoff because none of the four candidates in the 2nd District race – Golden, Poliquin or independents Tiffany Bond and William Hoar – secured a majority of votes in the first tally of ballots on Election Day.

Walker’s ruling should come as no surprise to many observers of the legal fight over Maine’s first-ever use of ranked-choice voting to decide a congressional election. The Bangor-based judge, who was appointed by President Trump earlier this year, had poked holes in some of Poliquin’s constitutional claims in an initial opinion rejecting the campaign’s request to halt the ranked-choice runoff.

It was unclear Wednesday afternoon whether Poliquin or the three other plaintiffs in the case – all 2nd District voters – would appeal the decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Both the congressman and his attorney have suggested the Bangor court case was a potential first step as they seek to set national legal precedent on the use of ranked-choice voting in federal races.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Bangor Daily News
Poliquin ends recount bid in Maine’s 2nd District

U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin, who lost his ranked-choice voting argument in federal court Thursday, asked state election officials on Friday to end the recount of 2nd Congressional District ballots.

In a statement on Facebook, Poliquin said, “due to the impending holidays, I believe it’s important to end the recount process,” but that there continues to be “unanswered questions” surrounding the ranked-choice voting process.

“Maine people continue to write and approach me with grave concerns over rank voting,” he said. “I understand their concerns and the need for our elections to be transparent and fair.”

Poliquin will have to pay for the cost of the recount. His only remaining recourse to overturn the ranked-choice election results that gave the seat to Democrat Jared Golden of Lewiston would be court appeals. He hasn’t said whether he plans to appeal Judge Lance Walker’s ruling that denied his requests to declare him the winner or call a new election.

This story will be updated.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Asshole and soon-to-be-ex-Governor LePage left a parting shot on certifying the Second Congressional District results.

And not a single supporting comment. Buh-bye
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 pm
Asshole and soon-to-be-ex-Governor LePage left a parting shot on certifying the Second Congressional District results.

And not a single supporting comment. Buh-bye
What he means is that it didn't result in a GOP or whack job win.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Also, too, LePage is why Maine has ranked choice in the first place. He correctly takes it personally.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”