North Carolina CD 9

Dolly

Re: North Carolina CD 9

Post by Dolly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Ginger Eason was mentioned in another post upthread.

Woman says she was paid to collect absentee ballots in North Carolina House race

An absentee ballot witness on Monday said Monday that a Bladen County, N.C., electioneer paid her to collect absentee ballots from last month's midterm elections.

Ginger Eason told WSOCTV, a local news station in Charlotte, that Leslie McCrae Dowless, Jr. paid her between $75 and $100 to pick up comple ted absentee ballots for North Carolina's 9th District, the results of which are being officially investigated.

“I was helping McCrae pick up ballots,” Eason said to the news outlet, referring to the Bladen County Soil and Water Conservation District supervisor who appears to be at the center of the probe.

Eason added that she didn't see who people were voting for, but that she never mailed the ballots. Instead, she gave them to Dowless, adding that he did not mention to her that what she was doing was illegal.

Dowless, known locally as McCrae, has been named twice in sworn affidavits as someone who worked for Republican candidate Mark Harris's campaign against Democrat Dan McCready.

When asked by WSOCTV about paying people to pick up ballots, Dowless said that he had no comment.

WSOCTV said that it has found what appears to be a targeted effort to illegally pick up ballots in Bladen County.

The news station reported that it consistently found the same people signing as witnesses for the people voting, something it notes is unusual. Eason was listed as signing as a witness for 28 submitted and accepted absentee ballot envelopes.
<SNIP>
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... h-carolina
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 am

Why isn't Donald and Company up in arms over VOTER FRAUD? It's OK if you're a Republican?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 am

Technically, I think this is election fraud, not voter fraud.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 am

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 am
Point taken.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 am

Chilidog wrote:
A technicality that the Rs have been taking advantage of for the past 20 years.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 am

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 am
Chilidog wrote:
A technicality that the Rs have been taking advantage of for the past 20 years.
:like:

Semantics matter, something Democrats have a hard time grasping.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am

WaPo Editorial
The North Carolina midterm debacle shows us where the real threat to elections lies ...

Voter fraud rarely happens in the United States. When it does, it almost always comes in the form of mail-in ballot fraud. Fraudsters can pressure absentee voters to fill out their ballots in a particular way or to hand them over to be filled in by someone else. Unsealed ballots can be changed. Sealed ballots can be trashed, if they come from people who seem likely to vote for the opposition. Play enough of these dirty tricks, and one can change the outcome of a narrow election. ...

Yet Republicans are calling on the board of elections to certify the general election count.

Republicans have spent the past decade crying wolf over voter fraud as a pretext for imposing needlessly complicated ID requirements. These laws tend to discourage Democratic-leaning voters. Yet if there is any threat to the integrity of the franchise, it is absentee ballot fraud — which GOP voter-ID laws cannot deter. And the face of this phenomenon in 2018 might well turn out to be a Republican candidate.

States authentically worried about fraud should spend less time hassling voters for IDs and more on monitoring absentee ballots. Elections officials must assess ballot counts for telling irregularities such as those found in North Carolina’s 9th. And they should audit witness signatures on absentee ballot envelopes to determine whether a suspiciously small number of people signed off on a large number of ballots — or whether the names are even real.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 am

Why hasn't President Trump, who says he cares about the integrity of elections, tweeted about what's going on in the North Carolina 9th?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:51 pm

I have to say that this really does sound like election fraud, on the part of the actual officials involved, either that or ineptitude of such a magnitude heretofore not seen, or then again, maybe/probably both.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:54 pm

When the bipartisan election board unanimously refused to certify, that's saying something.

(edited to add "unanimously.")
ImageImageImage x4

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Just my two cents worth, but usually when it is that bad, the best solution is to just roundfile and start over fresh and clean with disinterested witnesses disinterested supervising officials.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this happening elsewhere. How many other election fraud scams were going on by the part of the republicans?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

The Hill: Hakeem Jeffries on GOP operatives in NC fraud probe: 'Lock them up'

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Why aren't we hearing about the FBI or Justice Department (especially the Civil Rights division) investigating this?

(I think I know the answer :twisted: )
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 am

The New Yorker: Republican Operative Faced Prior Allegations of Election Fraud in Disputed North Carolina District
BuzzFeed News: Inside The North Carolina Republican Vote Machine: Cash, Pills — And Ballots

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 am

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 5924244481

Nate Silver Verified account @NateSilver538

We're changing our rating on this race to Lean Prison.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 am

This page will keep updating:
WSOCTV: US House District 9 race investigation: How we got here

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

The reporter covering this story locally got a nice five minute or so segment on CNN this morning.

tencats

Post by tencats » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 pm

House Democrats Could Take Action On The North Carolina Election Scandal
December 6, 2018, at 11:57 a.m. ET
“The House still retains the right to decide who is seated,” Nancy Pelosi warned Thursday.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/li ... ud-scandal
ASHINGTON — A growing number of House Democrats on the Oversight Committee want to investigate the North Carolina 9th Congressional District race, where the close finish is being scrutinized as reports of stolen absentee ballots continue to emerge and the race has been left uncertified.

House Democrats are fast approaching a new Congress where they’ll be in the majority and able to pursue whatever investigation they like, and more and more Democrats are expressing outrage over the alleged tampering with ballots in the race in which Republican Mark Harris beat Democratic candidate Dan McCready by only 905 votes.

Rep. Gerry Connolly, who on Wednesday called for an emergency hearing in the House Oversight Committee on the congressional race, said he would “absolutely” support the committee looking into the 9th District race at the start of the new Congress.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 am

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 5924244481

Nate Silver Verified account @NateSilver538

We're changing our rating on this race to Lean Prison.
I laughed so loudly when I read Nate's rating, I scared the cat fast asleep on the couch. Ooops.
:rotflmao:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 pm

It appears they've been having questions about election results in this district for years, including the primary. I know there's talk of an election do-over, but are they even sure Harris won the GOP primary?
ImageImageImage x4

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Dem McCready withdraws concession as election fraud claims hit North Carolina race

Democrat Dan McCready announced Thursday that he's withdrawing his concession in North Carolina's 9th Congressional District amid an investigation into potential election fraud.

"Today, I withdraw my concession to Mark Harris," McCready said in a video posted to Twitter while calling on his GOP opponent "to tell us exactly what he knew and when he knew it."

McCready's move comes weeks after he conceded to Harris following the Nov. 6 election. McCready trails the Republican by 905 votes in the race to replace outgoing Rep. Robert Pittenger (R-N.C.).

But in the weeks since the midterm elections, the state's Board of Elections voted not to certify the election results as it continues to investigate allegations of electoral fraud and other voting irregularities related to absentee ballots. <SNIP>
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... -hit-north

the tweet with video in the article
Dan McCready for NC ✔
@McCreadyForNC
I didn’t serve overseas in the Marines to come home to NC and watch a criminal, bankrolled by my opponent, take away people’s very right to vote. Today I withdraw my concession and call on Mark Harris to end his silence and tell us exactly what he knew, and when.

2:32 PM - Dec 6, 2018
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 pm

It is looking like this is going to blow up in several people's faces, all GOP from the sounds of it. It was sounding like from the interviews I saw this evening, that the election taint could have affected other districts as well.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm

probably other states as well-

Georgia-Stacy Abrams???

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 am

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”