Paul Ryan headed for the exits ...

Foggy

Paul Ryan headed for the exits ...

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 am

ImageWoot. :fiesta:

Paul Ryan Won't Seek Re-Election - CNN
House Speaker Paul Ryan has told confidantes he is not seeking re-election and will soon announce his decision, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter told CNN Wednesday.

He is expected to address his decision in a closed-door GOP conference meeting Wednesday morning, the sources said.

A source familiar told CNN that Ryan called House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy about his retirement before the news broke.

Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, has been in Congress since 1999 and became House speaker in 2015.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

NotaPerson

Re: BREAKING - Paul Ryan headed for the exits ...

Post by NotaPerson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:41 am

Excellent news to wake up to! :bunny:

Am I being detained?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am

Talk about "cut and run." I can't remember who posted it, but it was a mock up of a wiki page about invertebrates with a picture of Paul Ryan. That said it all. Create a $1 trillion a year deficit, let the madman in the White House run wild, and then leave. Whadda fuckin' coward.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

realist

Post by realist » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am
Talk about "cut and run." I can't remember who posted it, but it was a mock up of a wiki page about invertebrates with a picture of Paul Ryan. That said it all. Create a $1 trillion a year deficit, let the madman in the White House run wild, and then leave. Whadda fuckin' coward.
:like:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 am

It was pretty fucking obvious the way he kept insisting he was going to stay. When he went for the job he insisted there was no way he was becoming speaker.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am

Texas Filly said it best.

COWARD!!!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am

Yanno, I'm a law-abiding citizen today ... but that hasn't always been true. I believe in a little judicious lawbreaking, in a good cause.

... and I sincerely hope that there really IS a "deep state," maybe some patriotic FBI agents who are pissed and have seen enough, and who are forcing these resignations and retirements. I hope this isn't just Ryan afraid of the Blue Tsunami that's coming in November. I hope somebody found some serious, outrageous dirt on the little weasel motherfucker, and told him to retire or read about it in the MSM.

That would satisfy my personal vision of justice, oh my yes it would. :mrgreen:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am
Yanno, I'm a law-abiding citizen today ... but that hasn't always been true. I believe in a little judicious lawbreaking, in a good cause.

... and I sincerely hope that there really IS a "deep state," maybe some patriotic FBI agents who are pissed and have seen enough, and who are forcing these resignations and retirements. I hope this isn't just Ryan afraid of the Blue Tsunami that's coming in November. I hope somebody found some serious, outrageous dirt on the little weasel motherfucker, and told him to retire or read about it in the MSM.

AND if sometime in the near future that info happens to leak. That would satisfy mine. :daydream:

NOPE. I want a Mueller prosecution! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am

Will Ryan stay on as Speaker until January? If not we could get someone worse. :?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am
Foggy wrote:

AND if sometime in the near future that info happens to leak. That would satisfy mine. :daydream:

NOPE. I want a Muller prosecution! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I was angry a lot during GWB's administration but I had no idea quite how vengeful I could be until TrumpCo hit. So totally YEAH THAT to Foggy & TRl!!

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am

Foggy wrote:

Yes, that would be justice, but is Ryan's seat safe for the R's? Is there a chance that a D might take his place, in the absence of any scandal?

If another R cake walks into his seat, we are no better off. We might even get a speaker who actually knows hot to get things done in congress, unlike Ryan.

I suspect, though, that, even if the R's retain a majority in the house come November, their ranks will be reduced. This will probably make it even harder to herd the cats in any meaningful way.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

Randy Bryce vs Paul Ryan: Polls close in Wisconsin race

Randy ‘Iron Stache’ Bryce polls close behind Paul Ryan in the Wisconsin race for the incumbent’s House seat. What did attending the State of the Union teach Bryce about Washington? ‘Iron Stache’ joins Joy Reid to discuss.

Feb.03.2018

bob

Post by bob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

noblepa wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am
Yes, that would be justice, but is Ryan's seat safe for the R's?
Cook has WI-1 as "lean republican" (R+5). Which in this climate isn't great.

And the democrats have been doing the work to run a real candidate, whereas the republicans now will have to scramble to find someone other than the racist perennial who often loses in the primary.
We might even get a speaker who actually knows hot to get things done in congress, unlike Ryan.
Kevin McCarthy is the majority leader; he's next in line. And he initially sought the speakership, but bowed out to let Ryan have it.

McCarthy is relatively inexperienced. And he's the genius who met with birthers (in 2013, when he was the majority whip).

Cook's says McCarthy's seat (CA-22) isn't competitive, so he'll likely be around for the next few years.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am

Buh bye Lyin' Ryan who deserved and lived down to his sobriquet. I have to admit to agreeing withfoogy on this, I thinkk he is more than due.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I wonder if this decision came before or after he received these "assurances"
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) on Wednesday said he had received “assurances” that President Donald Trump would not fire the deputy attorney general, Rod Rosenstein, or Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

At a press conference Wednesday, shortly after Ryan announced his retirement from Congress at the end of his current term, a reporter asked about Trump “openly talking about firing Bob Mueller and potentially firing the deputy attorney general.”

“What are your thoughts on that?” the reporter asked.

“My thoughts haven’t changed,” Ryan said. “I think they should be allowed to do their jobs. We have a rule of law in this country and that’s a principle we all uphold. I have no reason to believe that that is going to happen and I have assurances that it’s not.”

“Why?” the reporter asked.

“Because I’ve been talking to people in the White House about it,” Ryan said.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 pm

The only "people in the White House" with any power is PPOTUS. If Ryan was getting assurances from anyone else in the White House, those assurances aren't worth anything. Likewise, if he got assurances from PPOTUS they, too, aren't worth anything.

Goodbye to the coward leader with no spine in the House. (As opposed to the coward leader in the Senate with no spine.)

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm

:rotflmao:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am
He did his job for the billionaires, he's reaped his very handsome financial rewards (and future employment, if he wishes), so there's really no motivation for him to continue in public office when all he'll get from here on is more criticism, derision, and ultimately - losing re-election.

He's also probably hoping that he'll be a smaller target for prosecution if he's not currently holding office. You can't tell me that the Russian investigations haven't turned up evidence of many Republicans colluding, very likely including him. After all, Ryan himself referred to assumed collusion with the Russians in what he thought was an off-mike moment with some peers.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

What if he’s got something else going, like maybe big corporate backers ready to finance him to run against Trump in 2020, should trump last so long. I don’t trust Paul Ryan as far as I can spit. I think he’s every bit as phony as those clean soup kitchen dishes he tried to show off washing when he was running with Romney. I’m pretty sure there’s already something in this for him.

Birfers are toast

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

If you need a score card as to who in Congress is not running for re-election, check out Ballotpedia's List of U.S. Congress incumbents who are not running for re-election in 2018. It is current as of today, including both Paul Ryan and Dennis Ross (Rep from Florida) who each made announcements today. Some folks are not running for re-election because they are running for a different office. All that information can be found on that web page.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 pm

For discussion about the future of this Congressional district, see the thread Wisconsin 1st CD 2018

Go, Randy Bryce, go! :cheer:

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:19 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm
What if he’s got something else going, like maybe big corporate backers ready to finance him to run against Trump in 2020, should trump last so long. I don’t trust Paul Ryan as far as I can spit. I think he’s every bit as phony as those clean soup kitchen dishes he tried to show off washing when he was running with Romney. I’m pretty sure there’s already something in this for him.
My very first thought (actually my second since my first was :shootin: ) was 'Now he can REALLY scrub those already clean soup pots'.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am
Will Ryan stay on as Speaker until January? If not we could get someone worse. :?
I was about to post that.

Is the would-be president afraid of being trounced by IronStache?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am
Usually it happens sooner rather than later. It's very possible the Trump people will bring in someone who isn't in the House. Like Ivanka.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

I’m on the “Ryan will probably run for President” bandwagon. Maybe not 2020.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”