Virginia 7th CD 2018 (Dave Brat)

NotaPerson

Virginia 7th CD 2018 (Dave Brat)

Post by NotaPerson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:11 pm

He scored a political upset that shocked Washington. But is it Rep. Dave Brat’s turn for a shock?
...Ominous signs include Republican Ed Gillespie capturing only 51 percent of the district in the 2017 gubernatorial race. And Democrats for the first time since 1961 carried Chesterfield County, a large chunk of the district where demographic shifts have pushed the electorate leftward.

Sensing opportunity, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) is targeting Brat’s seat. And Tom Steyer, the billionaire environmentalist, has committed $30 million to elect Democrats in the midterm elections, including in Virginia.

By the end of December, Brat had raised $599,000 for his reelection campaign. But one of the two Democrats seeking their party’s nomination to face him in November — Dan Ward — was close behind, at $552,000. The other Democrat, Abigail Spanberger, had raised $386,000, according to the Virginia Public Access Project.
:snippity:
The two candidates vying in the June 12 Democratic primary have the type of background that could attract Republican support. Dan Ward spent 25 years in the Marines, at one point piloting attack jets before serving as a military adviser in the State Department during the Obama administration.

Abigail Spanberger is a former CIA operative.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... 5148d6bcda

The article also notes that Brat is pissing off plenty of local Republicans by crowing about having beaten Cantor. :lol:

Bratt won with 57% of the vote in 2016. We have a shot at taking this one.

Am I being detained?

RVInit

Re: Virginia 7th CD 2018 (Dave Brat)

Post by RVInit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm

It would be soooooo sweet if a Democrat would take this seat. The only downside to Eric Cantor's loss was that he lost to a serious nut job. Cantor himself was bad enough.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Re: Virginia 7th CD 2018 (Dave Brat): Primary June 12

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Richmond Times-Dispatch
Abigail Spanberger easily defeats Dan Ward in 7th District Democratic primary

Former CIA officer Abigail Spanberger beat former Marine pilot Dan Ward in a primary election Tuesday to become the Democratic nominee this fall against Rep. Dave Brat, R-7th, in a district that the national party has targeted for flipping.

Ward issued a concession statement saying he had full confidence that Spanberger "has what it takes to beat Dave Brat in November and will make a great Congressperson." ...

Ward's campaign especially focused on rural areas of the district trying to appeal to the working class, while Spanberger - while not ignoring any part of the district - prioritized getting votes out of the Richmond suburbs.

Campaigning in all ten of the districts counties on Tuesday, she said she heard voters telling her they liked her positive message and said she gave them something to be hopeful about.
Abigail Spanberger for Congress

Act Blue/Donate

¡Sterngard! come home.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am

Pulling out the credit card again.

I really, really want Brat to go down.

Am I being detained?

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 am

Cook Political Report
VA-07: Brat Moves from Lean Republican to Toss Up

In 2014, economics professor Dave Brat turned the political world upside-down when he upset House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in the GOP primary by taking a hard line on illegal immigration. But four years later, he's at risk of getting swept out by a Democratic wave in a rapidly moderating district anchored by the professional Richmond suburbs. After courts redrew the 7th CD in 2016, President Trump took just 50 percent here, down from Mitt Romney's 56 percent in 2012.

June, former undercover CIA operative Abigail Spanberger crushed a well-funded Democratic primary opponent with 73 percent of the vote in an impressive display of grassroots support. Spanberger grew up in Henrico County (the 7th CD) writing a diary in code. As a pragmatic woman with a non-political resume, she could offer a problematic contrast for Brat, a Freedom Caucus member who complained last year about women "in my grill" at town halls.

The top of the ticket could also be a big problem for Brat. Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine is highly popular in the Richmond suburbs, while ultra-conservative GOP Senate nominee Corey Stewart is a highly polarizing figure who lost the 7th CD 61 percent to 33 percent in his primary. In 2017, well-funded GOP gubernatorial nominee Ed Gillespie carried the 7th CD by four points. If Stewart isn't competitive, Brat could suffer if Republicans stay home.

Brat, who has shied away from questions about Stewart, has never had to run in a competitive general election before. He's mended fences with GOP leadership and is running with the NRCC's active help. Spanberger has enjoyed help from EMILY's List and raised $903,000 by May. Ironically, the white collar Republicans in the West End Richmond suburbs who long supported Cantor could be the swing voters in this race. It's a Toss Up.

¡Sterngard! come home.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Excellent, excellent news.

Am I being detained?

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Spanberger has her first ad out.

Am I being detained?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 pm

New York Times
C.I.A. Officer-Turned-Candidate Says PAC Obtained Her Security Application

A former C.I.A. officer running for Congress accused a super PAC aligned with Speaker Paul D. Ryan on Tuesday of improperly obtaining her entire federal security clearance application — a highly sensitive document containing extensive personal information — and then using it for political purposes.

Abigail Spanberger, the Democratic candidate challenging Representative Dave Brat of Virginia, sent a cease-and-desist letter to Corry Bliss, the executive director of the Congressional Leadership Fund, which has raised more than $100 million to help Republicans in the midterm elections. She demanded that the super PAC destroy all copies of the form and agree to not use the information in any fashion.

“I write as a former civil servant and as an American, in shock and anger, that you have tried to exploit my service to our country by exposing my most personal information in the name of politics,” she wrote.

The super PAC released a statement on Tuesday strongly denying Ms. Spanberger’s charge, saying that the document was obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request filed with the United States Postal Service by America Rising, a separate Republican-aligned research firm.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 pm
New York Times
C.I.A. Officer-Turned-Candidate Says PAC Obtained Her Security Application
:snippity:

The super PAC released a statement on Tuesday strongly denying Ms. Spanberger’s charge, saying that the document was obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request filed with the United States Postal Service by America Rising, a separate Republican-aligned research firm.
Fishy - how would the USPS have access to a Security Application of someone thats not a potential staffer of their agency?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am

It is a serious crime to illegally disclose these docs. Implausible that Post Office produced this in unredacted form. But if that's the case, let America Rising show the production letter & attachment to prove it. Otherwise we will draw our inferences

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 pm

The Postal Service is accepting responsibility for "inappropriately releasing" the personnel file of Abigail Spanberger, ex-CIA operative now running as a Democratic candidate for Congress, and is requesting that the GOP-aligned super PAC return the file.
That said, I found this bit in the story worth an :roll:
The Republican research firm had obtained the file in an uncharacteristically rapid fashion under the federal records law. Ms. Spanberger said she hired an opposition research firm in December to scour her background, a common practice by candidates. The firm filed a request through the Freedom of Information Act for her personnel information from the federal government in December, she said, and has not yet received a response.

America Rising initially filed its FOIA request on July 9 to the National Records Center, which sent it to the Postal Service on July 12. The Postal Inspection Service delivered a response to America Rising on July 30.
Even if they got this legitimately and they're all playing straight and fair, wouldn't a person with a conscience recognize something like a SS# was inappropriate and not pass it around to anyone and everyone?

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm

‘Impeach Trump.’ ‘Open Borders.’ Fake political signs posted in heated Va. congressional race
Phony political signs suggesting that Democrat Abigail Spanberger is running for Congress on promises to impeach President Trump and open the nation’s borders popped up in the Richmond suburbs over the weekend.

The red, white and blue placards bore Spanberger’s name and a variety of slogans, including “Impeach Trump,” “Open Borders” and “Abolish ICE.” Campaign staffers for Spanberger, who is trying to unseat Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.) in the 7th District, spotted them Sunday morning in Chesterfield County and quickly pulled them down.

Spanberger, a former CIA officer who has positioned herself as a moderate as she runs in the swing district, has said she opposes open borders and the abolishment of the federal agency known as ICE, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

As for Trump, she has said that he deserves due process and that she wants to see special counsel Robert S. Mueller III complete his investigation into whether the president’s campaign colluded with Russians who interfered in the 2016 election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... 281bb52d7e

Am I being detained?

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:53 am

The first poll result in this district has been reported. It's rather disappointing.

Brat up by 4 points. :(

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6528.html

Am I being detained?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm

NotaPerson wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:53 am
The first poll result in this district has been reported. It's rather disappointing.

The MOE is 9 points!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm
NotaPerson wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:53 am

The MOE is 9 points!
Ah, I missed that little detail. :bag:

Am I being detained?

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Brat to inmates: ‘You think you’re having a hard time — I’ve got $5 million in negative ads.’
RICHMOND — Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.) compared the struggles of jailed drug addicts to the heat he’s taking in his tight race with Democrat Abigail Spanberger.

“You think you’re having a hard time — I got $5 million worth of negative ads going at me,” Brat told inmates at the Chesterfield County jail on Wednesday. “How do you think I’m feeling? Nothing’s easy. For anybody. You think I’m a congressman. ‘Oh, life’s easy. This guys’s off having steaks. . . . Baloney, I got a daughter, she’s got to deal with that crap on TV every day. It’s tough.’ ”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... 454339f328

:smoking:

Am I being detained?

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”