Pennsylvania 18th CD; Special Election, March 13, 2018

Fortinbras

Re: Pennsylvania 18th CD; Special Election, March 13, 2018

Post by Fortinbras »

Keep in mind that this election was a very close one. The Trumpchumps very nearly won this election and might win the Congressional elections in November
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Fortinbras wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm Keep in mind that this election was a very close one. The Trumpchumps very nearly won this election and might win the Congressional elections in November
Not really. A heavily gerrymandered R+20 district, where the Democrats hadn't run a candidate for 2 election cycles, went blue. Let's keep that in mind.
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm
Fortinbras wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm Keep in mind that this election was a very close one. The Trumpchumps very nearly won this election and might win the Congressional elections in November
Not really. A heavily gerrymandered R+20 district, where the Democrats hadn't run a candidate for 2 election cycles, went blue. Let's keep that in mind.
More than that, almost completely white Pittsburgh suburbs went big time Democratic and although the outlying rural area were still Republican, they had big swings toward the dems.

These people are Trump's base probably more than any place outside the deep south. This is coal and steel country. These are people who put French Fries in their salads. If Trump can't get a candidate to win here, he is in serious trouble.

From NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ction.html
2018-03-14-161008_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm :snippity:

From NYT.

2018-03-14-161008_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
Icy N'Eastern Stormwinds :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Gollum J. Trump
@realGollumTrump
Hurry precious! This way! Deletes tweets where we supportsed Sackbone! Our endurscent didn’t works AGAIN! VERY BIGLY UNFAIRS!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:

Yeah, we're too far west for the real nor'easters, but I'm good with this one!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Dan1100 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm :snippity:

From NYT.

Icy N'Eastern Stormwinds :lol:
Bbbbrrrrrr! I love cold weather!
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

Nothing to see here and besides they probably cheated anyway!

Hektor of the Fogbow Political Bureau

Pittsburgh, PA

In yet another of what has been an uninterrupted series of magnificent victories for President Trump, an evil illegal immigrant importing, tax-hiking big-government-loving Democrat barely managed to win in a special election for Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional District. Speaking on the record but not wishing to be named, a White House spokesperson pointed to two pathetically narrow Democrat victories in rural Pennsylvania and Alabama and said "Look, if every race in 2018 is as close as those two were, we'll be in pretty good shape."

When pressed on the fact that the evil tyranny-loving Democrats seemed to be over-performing in heavily Republican leaning areas according to a fictitious liberal invention called "math", the spokesperson (on condition we would stop playing that laughtrack) suggested that "Look, Democrats have held PA-18 several times, like with Michael Doyle, Doug Walgren or Rick Santorum. Same with the senate seat in Alabama!"

Fox and Friends was quick to offer the explanation that Connor Lamb, who will take your guns, your bibles and your children, was waaaaaaaaaaay cuter than Rick Saccone which of course would be of far more impact to the campaign than a commitment to preserve social security and healthcare. Sean Hannity mused that Lamb, a soft-on-crime former federal prosecutor, "probably handed out candy too."

But that doesn't matter, explained Hannity to his perpetually outraged audience, "Connor Lamb may have been a Pelosi-loving corruptocrat whose election as of Tuesday meant unpatriotic and unjustified impeachment proceedings but at least as of today, he really was a Republican in all but name.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:

:clap:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao:
Addie

Post by Addie »

AP called it - AP called it! :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Adding:

New York Times
Conor Lamb Wins Pennsylvania House Seat and Shows Democrats the Way Into Trump Country

Conor Lamb, a Democrat and former Marine, scored a razor-thin but extraordinary upset in a special House election in Southwestern Pennsylvania after a few thousand absentee ballots delivered Democrats a win in the heart of President Trump’s Rust Belt base.

The victory still may be contested, but Mr. Lamb’s current 627-vote lead appears insurmountable, given that the four counties in Pennsylvania’s 18th district have about 500 provisional, military and other absentee ballots left to count, county election officials said. That slim margin, out of almost 230,000 ballots cast, nonetheless upended the political landscape ahead of this November’s midterm elections and emboldened fellow Democrats to run maverick campaigns even in deep-red areas where Republicans remain bedeviled by Mr. Trump’s unpopularity.

Republican officials in Washington said they were likely to demand a recount through litigation, and the National Republican Congressional Committee put out a call for voters to report any irregularities in the balloting. Matt Gorman, a spokesman for the committee, said the party was “not conceding anything.”

But absent significant adjustments in the tally, Mr. Lamb, a 33-year-old former prosecutor from a local Democratic dynasty, has pulled off a staggering upset over Rick Saccone, a Republican state legislator, in a district that Mr. Trump carried by nearly 20 percentage points in 2016.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hercule Parrott, the Fogbow's very own should be Pulitzer Prize winner!!!! Bravo!
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pmThese are people who put French Fries in their salads.
It's true. I've seen it myself. At an Italian restaurant. No kidding.
This bramble need not be traversed.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

TheNewSaint wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm
Dan1100 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pmThese are people who put French Fries in their salads.
What?

That's like putting Chile on top of spaghetti
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RoadScholar wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm The phrase "opposed to abortion" needs unzipping. On one hand, it's philosophically supportable to say "I think abortions are inhuman and should never be chosen." The crux of the biscuit is whether you think others should be forced to act according to your opposition belief. That would not be supportable, at least to me.

Rating a politician, one needs to know where he or she stands on the latter. If he says, for instance, "I am personally opposed to it philosophically, but any woman must decide for herself and be able to safely terminate a pregnancy," that's a different matter altogether from "It should be illegal and punishable by jailing or worse."
:like:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
June bug

Post by June bug »

Hektor wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm Nothing to see here and besides they probably cheated anyway!

Hektor of the Fogbow Political Bureau

Pittsburgh, PA

In yet another of what has been an uninterrupted series of magnificent victories for President Trump, an evil illegal immigrant importing, tax-hiking big-government-loving Democrat barely managed to win in a special election for Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional District. Speaking on the record but not wishing to be named, a White House spokesperson pointed to two pathetically narrow Democrat victories in rural Pennsylvania and Alabama and said "Look, if every race in 2018 is as close as those two were, we'll be in pretty good shape."

When pressed on the fact that the evil tyranny-loving Democrats seemed to be over-performing in heavily Republican leaning areas according to a fictitious liberal invention called "math", the spokesperson (on condition we would stop playing that laughtrack) suggested that "Look, Democrats have held PA-18 several times, like with Michael Doyle, Doug Walgren or Rick Santorum. Same with the senate seat in Alabama!"

Fox and Friends was quick to offer the explanation that Connor Lamb, who will take your guns, your bibles and your children, was waaaaaaaaaaay cuter than Rick Saccone which of course would be of far more impact to the campaign than a commitment to preserve social security and healthcare. Sean Hannity mused that Lamb, a soft-on-crime former federal prosecutor, "probably handed out candy too."

But that doesn't matter, explained Hannity to his perpetually outraged audience, "Connor Lamb may have been a Pelosi-loving corruptocrat whose election as of Tuesday meant unpatriotic and unjustified impeachment proceedings but at least as of today, he really was a Republican in all but name.
Right on the money, Hektor honey! And so pretty too! :clap: :kiss:
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, we do, but I'm not a fan and tell the servers to put it on the side. It started as a practical way for truckers in the produce section of the city to be able to eat more quickly. People travel here to go to the restaurant that started it. I'm not a fan of that restaurant either. :roll:
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:12 pm
kate520 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:05 pm :yeah:

AND

Hiya wintermute!
Ditto!
Hiya Ladies.
???????????????
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Paul Ryan said that Lamb won as a conservative. I do not see it that way. Lamb's position on abortion is light years away from those who want to overturn Roe v. Wade. I would be surprised if in a gathering of ten Fogbowers there are not two or three who are hunters. And the tariffs seem to mean a lot in PA CD 18. They are offering hope, although I think they will soon recognize that much around them has changed and the old ways can no longer work.

Lamb emphasized an economic message. The topics of the planks in his platforms are:
Taking immediate action to fight the heroin crisis
Jobs and infrastructure: no more stalling
Affordable health care
Protecting Medicare and social security
Releasing students from lifetime debt traps
Unions
Modern energy development.

Skillful Democrats can work together to attain economic goals even if they differ.on issues such as abortion. This will work unless the party imposes an ideological purity test.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Lyin' Ryan is DESPERATELY flailing around trying to find an excuse any excuse that doesn't boil down to their message failing, and this is the best he can come up with.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Finlay

Post by Finlay »

TollandRCR wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:36 pm Paul Ryan said that Lamb won as a conservative. I do not see it that way.
What does "conservative" even mean in the age of Trump ?

Essentially, conservatism is defined by a humpty-dumpyiness - we can't know what is conservative until they tell us, and then the word means just what they choose it to mean, nothing more, nothing less, until they've chosen to reconstruct the definition once again.

When I was at MCRD San Diego, we had a DI who liked to lecture on politics and such just before lights out. This was very recently after WJC was sworn in, and on one evening, the DI was adamant that conservatives could never nominate, let alone elect, a womanizing draft dodger like WJC. It was impossible, because unlike the liberal hippie commie left, the right had standards that would never bend.

Somehow I doubt he retired from the Marines to become a Never Trumper.
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm
What?

I paid a visit to the weird little town of Brownsville several years ago. I think it's in that district, or at least is very close. Economically ruined, but some gorgeous old architecture (which I like to take photos of). I had lunch in a diner that has been there for decades, and looked like it was still in the 1950s. Great place called "Fiddles."

Anyway, they served my chicken Caesar salad with french fries on top, something I'd never seen before. But I remember liking that salad very much. :)
Am I being detained?
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

:lol: The replies are funny

Jean Miller.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

NotaPerson wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:54 am
Chilidog wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm

What?

I paid a visit to the weird little town of Brownsville several years ago. I think it's in that district, or at least is very close. Economically ruined, but some gorgeous old architecture (which I like to take photos of). I had lunch in a diner that has been there for decades, and looked like it was still in the 1950s. Great place called "Fiddles."

Anyway, they served my chicken Caesar salad with french fries on top, something I'd never seen before. But I remember liking that salad very much. :)
Brownsville is in the district.

(And they also put the french fries on sandwiches, also not my favorite thing.)

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”